Chapter 1: Select a race
1.6k 56 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Floating within the vastness of space, a supercomputer the size of a planet pulsated with power. Its focus was on a world within its jurisdiction performing below expected models. And that was unacceptable.

[World (Astra) Status: In Decline.]

[Searching for a solution...]

[Forceful development... Denied.]

[Knowledge transfer... Denied.]

[Give worlds coordinates to an alien civilisation of level 3 development... Denied.]

[...]

[...]

[Initating cultural injection protocol. Searching alternate universes for a suitable soul.]

[Processing...]

[Target Found.]

[Brainwashing initiated, Human Female voice chosen.]

A tendril of mana snuck through the very fabric of the universe and arrived at a rather unassuming bedroom.

 

***

 

A man of questionable personal hygiene within a dark attic let out a long sigh. Monitors illuminated his face as he furiously typed a review for the novel he had just finished reading.

"Author, can you speak English? Your novel 'That time I was reincarnated as a blacksmith and all the woman want to fuck me!' reads like a poorly translated MTL! Not to mention the harem members are dumb and lame!"

Taking a large sip of his energy drink despite the late hour, the man moved his mouse and selected a 4-star rating, "Author, I will forgive you for wasting my time just this once as this was my thousandth novel!" 

Feeling content with himself for finally finishing every reincarnation novel on the website, he lay back in his chair. "Why do I feel so tired?" he muttered to himself while taking another sip. Then, he watched in shock as his hand lost all its power and the can fell to the floor. His head rolled to the side, and he used all his effort to stay awake.

Yet, despite caffeine surging through his veins, nothing could prevent his eyes from closing. The man felt something was wrong, but he had little power to stop it. For the first time in his life, he felt genuinely helpless.

The sudden mechanical female voice and floating text furthered his feeling that something had gone terribly wrong.

<Congratulations, mortal, you have been chosen...>

He did not panic. Despite becoming nothing but a floating soul in an infinitely dark space. How could a man who has read every novel on this topic panic in such a situation? He was totally calm.

"WHAT THE FUCK-"

The mechanical female voice paused at the man's sudden outburst.

<Congratulations, mortal, you have been chosen...>

"I heard the first time!" The little soul screamed as it bobbed up and down in hysteria, "You are some God? Computer? System? Just tell me what you need and go away!"

[Recalibarating...]

[Initiating Direct Protocol]

<Mortal Kieran Grimes, you have been selected to advance the civilisation of another world.>

<This decision was based on several factors such as possessing an advanced education in your homeworld and knowledge of other world's developments...>

"Other worlds developments?" 

<Correct. Those novels are accounts of actual events. The system provided the concepts of these stories to the various authors for this very reason.>

The soul could only curse under his breath, "So the immortal harem kings really exist... darn bastards."

<The reincarnation process will now begin; please select your race>

"Wait! I enjoy reading reincarnation novels but to enter one? Hell no! Ever heard of the phrase, 'the grass is greener on the other side?' What use is unlimited power if there's no entertainment! What if the world your sending me to is just ice or a massive ocean? Hey! Are you listening?"

<Mortal cannot defy the will of the system.>

<The reincarnation process will now begin; please select your race>

[Human]

[Elf]

[Dark Elf]

[Vampire]

[Angel]

[Beastman]

[Dwarf]

[Dragon]

"For fuck sake- wait a second..."

Kieran metaphorically blinked at the list, "I can become something other than Human? That is unexpected. Do I start as a baby?"

Kieran refused to admit it but picking a race other than human excited him. If he couldn't defy the system anyway, he might as well play along. His favourite novel type is when the reincarnated MC is a monster rather than a simple human. Who would want to live as a human again when they could be a Dragon instead?

<Yes, since this is reincarnation, you will be reborn as a baby.>

Kieran paused. 'Only Ancient Dragons are powerful enough to defy everything. A baby Dragon is just a glorified lizard.'

"Is this world dangerous..."

<Astra has a danger level of S rank.>

Kieran fell into deep thought. 'Assuming the system follows standard danger ratings, S was high. So if I had to live as a baby and slowly grow my power, there was a high chance of death!'

"Do I get any cheats?"

<Apart from the system's assistance, no other 'cheat' abilities are provided.>

'A system is usually a top tier cheat, but I would prefer something like immortality or infinite attack stat if I have to start as a baby...'

A sudden thought passed through the reincarnation novel enthusiast's mind, 'In every novel, certain monsters are born or created in their adult form to avoid this very weakness... such as the undead! If I became undead, I would be at my maximum power from the start! But then I would be undead. What if this world has a vendetta against the undead? In fact, was the undead treated well in a single novel I read?'

"Just to check... can I become a monster instead?"

[Processing...]

<Yes, displaying options.>

[Slime]

[Spider]

[Goblin]

[Gnome]

[Fenrir]

[Liazrd]

[Troll]

[Centaur]

[Mermaid]

[Skeleton]

[Whisp]

[Ghost]

[Zombie]

[Mummy]

[Banshee]

[Ghoul]

[Living Armour]

[Lich]

The system patiently waited while Kieran debated all the different monsters.

'There have been some crazy powerful slimes and spiders; I also remember a few powerful goblins that evolved. But they all had cheats or stupid devouring abilities. If all I have is the system, a Lich would be the most powerful and closest to a human here. If my goal is to further civilisation, I will require an undead workforce. Also, if I wear enough clothes, I can appear somewhat human... Right?'

"Can I have some information about the world before I decide?"

<Affirmative.>

[World: Astra]

[Size: Similar to Earth]

[Dominate Species: Humans]

[Power system: Cultivation]

[Civilisation level: Medieval]

Kieran read the information and decided that Lich was the best choice.

'Medieval level of civilisation? So I would have to shit in a bucket and wipe my arse with leaves? That's not even the worst of it! Diseases should be rampant and food poisoning a common occurrence! If I remember correctly, only 50% of children made it past a year old during the European middle ages. As a Lich, I would never have to eat the horrendous food, nor would I have to sleep in a bed of straw!'

Kieran was not oblivious to the downsides of becoming a talking skeleton, but the idea of having to grow up as a child in the middle ages was truly dreadful!

Kieran then focused on the power system. 'Cultivation? So this is some kind of Chinese novel world? But why is the civilisation said to be Medieval instead of the Ancient era?' 

"System, will I have to partake in cultivation?"

<Yes. Cultivation is tied to the soul, and you have never cultivated before.>

Kieran had naturally read many cultivation novels and the decision to become a Lich seemed even more reasonable. Cultivators start with mortal bodies and naturally have to work their way to immortality. A cultivator still needs food and water to survive in the beginning stages! 

'But as a Lich, I could bury myself in a cave somewhere and quietly cultivate until I am unbeatable!'

<Please make a decision.>

The mechanical female voice was annoyed, so Kieran stopped debating and made the obvious choice. A small part of him still wished to pick a Dragon, but he quickly dismissed the idea. A baby Dragon would be a prime target for cultivators to hunt! 

"Lich."

<Acknowledged.>

<Begining Reincarnation>

Kieran felt a tug on his soul, it started slow, but soon he felt as if he was travelling at the speed of light. The infinite blackness warped around him into a star-filled tunnel.

System messages sounded in his head as he shot through a wormhole that tore through the fabric of reality.

[Locating potential vessel...]

[...]

[...]

[Race Lich is extinct.]

[Error.]

[Locating well-preserved body for infusion...]

[Found!]

Everything went black once more.

 

***

 

Kieran awakened after an unknown period.

Although darkness surrounded him, he felt different. It was a bizarre sensation.

"Why do I feel so cold? Wait, maybe empty would be the correct word here. I can't feel anything at all."

<Welcome to Astra.>

[Name: Victor de Koschei Noctus]

[Race: Lich]

[Position: Deceased Grand Elder of the Noctus sect (300 years ago)]

[Cultivation: Peasant (0/100)]

[...]

Kieran wanted to read his status that went on for a few pages, but the massive red box in front of his face made that rather difficult:

{Main Quest}

{Description: The System has granted you a unique opportunity, and it expects great things! Once this quest is complete, the host will be free from further system obligations. Astra has remained at the same civilisation level for ten thousand years. Your job as a system representative is to further this world's civilisation.}

{Current progress: 0%}

{Time limit: 100 years}

{Failure will result in the destruction of the host's soul.}

Kieran tried to gulp but realised he had no throat.

63