Chapter 15: Heavy Air.
228 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: Heavy Air.

The demon lord and the witch were walking side by side as everyone else starred and leaned.

Whispers could be heard everywhere, mostly wondering who could be this new face in town?

How come they have never seen this beauty before? And oh my- why was she talking to one of the most popular influencers in the school with over fifty thousand followers on her socials.

"Do you think that's Lucinda's rumored lover?"

"I didn't even know she swung that way."

"You dumbass she wings both ways."

"Still she's definitely so pretty... does anyone know her name?"

Lucinda's ears perked at all the whispers of her fabled demon lord friend. She grins, nudging her sides a little. "Look at you, ever so popular. At this point you'll be hooking a lot of people into your claws of charm." she teases.

The demon lord Azel did not found that funny, "I came here for one girl. My claws will only be reserved for her." she answered seriously not getting the joke.

"Damn... you're totally the possessive type. I like it! As a friend- but as a lover you guys don't do it for me. A witch's spirit will always be free and we can't be tied down so let me give you a tour!" (Lucinda) leads her to the office to get her schedule and class card.

"This is the office. If you need any help you can just ask them what you need and stuff." She points at the building with a lot of humans scurrying around doing their jobs and fixing the records of some students.

"Humans are still hard-working as ever." (Azel) says seeing one girl carrying a stack of papers passing another hall and then climbing up some stairs.

"Yes they are. Now come on! Let's go get your schedule. We can just knock and ask someone in the window... ah there it is- window six." the witch points at one of the windows with a number six on top of it.

"You see each window has it's own purpose another example is this window nine where it's specifically for enrollment." (Lucinda) continues and the demon lord nods taking note of it.

"Now let's see... hello excuse me!" she calls out on one of the working staff of the office.

"Hmm? Oh it's you dear. Are you up to trouble again?" the staff lady seemed to have recognized the pink haired witch who laughs waving her hand around in a friendly manner. It seems that this girl was quite the figure around this place.

"No- no! Nothing like that bad this time. I'm actually here to ask for my friend's schedule. You see she's new around here and as a good student of our school I offered to show her around. Isn't that right, Azel~?" (Lucinda) called out in a purr.

The demon lord just merely nods wanting for everything to be settled with.

The staff's eyes widened in surprise looking over a clipboard with some listed names on it. At the moment she heard the young girl's first name- her eyes immediately glued to the highlighted name on the list meaning this girl was on the very important list.

"Y-You must be the new student." she stutters nervously and Azel walks forward to introduce herself.

"Greetings. I am Azel... Hua Lin. I look forward to being here." the demon lord tried giving a smile but it only came out horribly- it was so stiff that the staff lady almost fainted- but even if she's glaring at her she can't deny that she was so pretty!

Like a model!

"The schedule- I would like to get it." (Azel) continued and Lucinda expectantly stared at the demon lord, telling her that she probably forgot something.

"Ahem, you forgot to say thank you." (Lucinda) coughs, reminding the demon lord that she should have at least some manners if she wants to appear like a good catch.

"And you have my thanks for the trouble." She tells the staff lady who's body became more relaxed seeing that this scary girl was not that bad.

Actually now that she looks at her more closely- she feels... like her cat at home.

"Oh! You're so sweet. I will have it down in a bit. You made quite the first impression. Everyone was practically panicking when they told us another member of the Hua Lin family would enroll here." The staff lady giggles standing up from her seat and takes a paper on one of the file cabinets at the back.

"Wow... your human identity sounds complicatedly important." (Lucinda) whispers leaning in only for the demon lord to hear.

"It's a perk. Anyone who would become my servant would have immunity for my bad luck. I don't quite understand it myself, but it will only work to those who are loyal to me. I can take it away if I wanted to... luck is like a curse as well." (Azel) replies back to the witch who pouts.

"Hey~ any chance I could become your witch servant?" (Lucinda) thought of having the luck for herself.

She could finally get the latest phone she's been planning to buy, she can do impressive money shots at parties and even scream 'it's on me tonight' when no one else is willing to pay for anything.

"Geoffrey is enough, but you're useful in your own way. I would like to lessen the number of my servants as much as possible. The luck of the curse won't work if it detects greed, it can also run through many generations of families." (Azel) shakes her head remembering the rotten egg Qiang Hua Lin.

Clearly luck was still running through their veins even if their trust of belief for the demon lord dwindled.

The two talked some more and finally the class schedule of the demon lord arrived.

"Sorry for the delay. This will be your class schedule- Lucinda over here is already giving you a tour so good luck with your first day." The staff lady's tone became different. Azel noticed it as well and wished her that no bad luck will get her today.

"Your name. Can I have your name?" (Azel) asks.

"Hmm? Oh it's Delilah, if you have any other problems you can ask around for me okay?" (Delilah) claps her hands together. Her friendly youthfulness was certainly a breather.

"I will." (Azel) takes the schedule in her hands and leaves with Lucinda in tow.

The witch was curious, sure it was normal to ask someone's name but this is the demon lord we're talking about and she does not just ask people's name for no reason at all.

"Okay now that you have your schedule and I have been given the honor of touring you to our lovely school." (Lucinda)

"It seems that I really have to?" (Azel)

"Obviously~ we could even see if Isabella is around while we tour." (Lucinda) gave a really persuasive offer and the demon lord took the bait.

"Hmph, let us go then. The faster we find her the faster I can get to know her more."

.-.-.-.-.

"This is the cafeteria-" she drags the girl around a decent looking place where people can take their food and pay for them. There were many tables that were empty and a few students lounging around in seats.

"You can buy your food here with your card, easy peasy and since you're like a cat- I'm guessing you like fish." (Lucinda) guesses but it appears that she was wrong.

Azel shakes her head. "I like any type of meat or vegetables. I may be a demon cat but I don't limit myself to only fish. After all I was once human..." the demon lord tells the witch who nods in understanding.

It makes sense, however Azel would not tell her that she is actually allergic to one thing.

It was chocolate.

"Do you think she goes here often?" (Azel) looks around, trying to get a whiff of her scent if she was anywhere near but there was no sign of it.

Lucinda thinks for a moment and looks at the cafeteria including its expensive prices, realizing that the demon lord's bride was probably beyond broke- she would never go to this place. "Ah my bad- Isabella would probably never go here... the prices are too high and maybe she just eats alone with a lunch box or something."

"Speaking of that, you reminded me that I still have some business to go through with her debt collectors. I have asked Geoffrey to get it settled by the week and then I'll deal with them personally." (Azel) crosses her arms talking with the witch about her plans for the debt collectors that messed with her bride.

"Don't tell me you're going to curse them~?" (Lucinda) teased till she felt worried looking at the demon lord beside her who thought through her words then clicked her tongue at the question.

"What do you think I do best? Cursing those who hurt what I own seems like a fair enough punishment for a lifetime." (Azel) retorts but the witch tries to reason with the demon.

"O-Okay I know humans are pretty much not that good- well some of them- but you have to remember you're blending in as a goody two shoes human. If Isabella knew you did that- what do you think she'll say?" (Lucinda) persisted even bringing Isabella's name into the argument.

Isabella... right, the demon lord recalled the time when she saved her in the alleyway.

Even if those debt collectors were about to sell her and take her away.

She still called for human help and aid.

"She'll... most likely not be happy if she knew." (Azel) mutters out and that made Lucinda feel like she was getting through the stubborn demon.

"Yeah? So we'll be good and no cursing anyone-"

"Which is why you won't tell her about this witch." The demon lord scowled. As if she'll listen to someone below her, utterly ridiculous.

The witch was taken aback because a bit of the demon lord's fang was sticking out of her teeth up for display. "I trust you can keep a secret. While I have some of my human morals, I don't give exceptions to those who don't deserve it."

"I should've killed them right then and there in that alleyway. If only she wasn't looking... I would've blown them all to bits..." (Azel) muttered leaving the witch in a panic frenzy.

If a couple of humans died in her watch her magic license will seriously get revoked!

"Okay! How about this I won't tell Isabella for sure! I have no problem with that but do avoid killing humans because that will get us in a lot of trouble. It's already a risk letting you inside a human school where you can kill everyone by accident." (Lucinda)

"I can't kill anyone by accident now." (Azel)

"That's the thing- you have some of your controlled bad luck yet so just none of that. You have to find another way to get the debt collectors on control-"

"Well then, since you're inclined to help me. Why don't you do the same thing again and just erase all of the Debt collector's memories?"

Lucinda stops her words looking at the other girl with a conflicted face. On the other hand no human would die but it will certainly be more work for her to do.

And editing memories takes a lot out of her.

You know what… murder doesn’t seem to be a bad option afterall.

"Hey how I about be the smart voice of reason and you just pay her debt. No one needs to die- besides you're pretty... you know? Loaded?" (Lucinda) points to her platinum card and Azel didn't give much of a reaction to her words.

"I won't have to get my license revoked~ you'll have your darling safe and no blood will be shed. Come on there's no other better deal than that." the witch continues taking out her phone looking at the time. "Just think about it- besides class is about to start I'll just escort you to your class and I'll text you later."

.-.-.-.-.

The both of them walked together side by side as Lucinda pointed out a few more of the school stops in the area. "That's the bathroom, this is a sink- and this is hand soap."

"Certainly things have improved." (Azel) pushes the button of the wall sanitizer and she catches the alcoholic scent with the palms of her hands. "It has a nice smell."

"Yeah that's alcohol. It kills ninety-nine percent of bacteria- well I just read around the internet that the company who makes it does that so the one percent can spread around and make some money out of it more." (Lucinda) drags the demon lord some more before finally finding the right classroom.

The witch happily hummed a song knocking on the door, gaining the teacher's attention.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Hello~ Good morning, teacher! I'm here to drop off a transfer student that's in this class. Hmm... Class 102?" the pink haired witch happily sticks her head out into the classroom.

Many of the students stopped writing on their notes as the professor teaching the class stopped presenting her power point presentation.

"Oh? Is she here already? Please come in." The teacher notices both of their presence beckoning them to come inside with a smile.

A certain brown haired girl caught the attention of the extroverted acquaintance peaking in. She was taking notes of the digital presentation but stopped once she noticed Lucinda was by the door of their classroom.

"!!!"

Isabella not knowing why, hides herself using her notebook that they were using for today's class topic.

"..." (Isabella) was not nervous looking at Lucinda but instead she found herself looking left and right in front to see if there was anyone behind the pink haired witch.

The witch's eyes perked up seeing Isabella's attention was already on them. "Pssst- don't be nervous. Come on get inside." (Lucinda) tells the demon lord who was standing behind her.

"She's inside... I don't feel well." (Azel) tries to catch the familiar scent and indeed it was stronger inside the classroom. The pounding on her heart was beating a little faster than normal, her palms felt sweaty and her knees wouldn't budge.

Never did she think she'll feel this way after all those hundred years living.

"What do you mean you don't feel well? You went through all this trouble- actually me too. I did a lot of things for this but go on, just introduce yourself." (Lucinda) goes behind the demon lord's frozen figure and pushes her gently inside of the classroom.

The teacher was looking at both of them weirdly as Lucinda pushed her in the middle of the room and left her there to fend for herself, "Well then! I'll be off now! Have fun!" (Lucinda) hurriedly went out of the room wishing her scary demon friend good luck.

"..." the demon lord however, really felt like going after her and cursing her for leaving her behind.

The teacher noticed the uncomfortable gaze of the transfer student so she went ahead and introduced herself first. "Hello there- I'm Mrs. Lilith Lovely, your teacher for the whole class year. Now I know you're new around here so why don't you introduce yourself to the class?"

Introducing herself?

The demon lord of balancing fortune and misfortune, the spirit known as the black cat that travels along the world in a lonely tune- the demon who's feared and known among the demon realm-

The demon who has murdered thousands causing a sickly plague.

The demon who cursed many if she stayed too long in one place.

She was everyone's worst nightmare to those around her.

Azel nervously looks around as if searching for help until she sees Isabella's expecting gaze while she hides her face with a notebook.

Right... This is a mission for the demon lord to make her bride to be like her.

She should give the perfect first introduction to the class.

"My name is Azel Hua Lin. I will be joining you from now on. I look forward to being with you." she tells the whole class and it erupted into curious whispers.

"Hua Lin? Like the rich family?"

"I didn't know they had another daughter. Is this some sort of secret child?"

"She's so beautiful though... Hey, do you know her socials?"

"Dude I can look it up right now- she has no pictures in here... only one with Lucinda in it."

The teacher glares at the whole classroom, "Class! Quiet please! Ms. Hua Lin you can sit right over-"

Azel stops the teacher looking right at Isabella's place of seating. "I want to sit right beside her." she points a finger at the panicking girl who was fearing that she'll do exactly that.

"Oh? With Isabella Insley?" the teacher mentions Isabella's name, her heart dropped a few times.

"Yes with her." (Azel) says seriously and the teacher shrugs at her request thinking nothing of it.

"You can go ahead and sit right beside her then. We can continue doing class now." The teacher looked toward the presentation and started reading about how communication was important through business.

Azel nods walking toward the sides at the side of the classroom before finding the empty right beside Isabella who was trying to keep herself busy with the notebook in hand.

Azel waited for her seatmate to say anything but... it seemed that the class was almost ending. She hadn't said a single word.

"How... have you been?" The demon lord turned to the girl a little unsure of what she was thinking right now.

Isabella's ears twitched. She faces the new transfer student who had those cat-like eyes to match her pretty face. "I... um... I've been fine."

"I see. I'm glad that you are." the demon lord plays around with her fingers, breaking into a cold sweat. This air is far too heavy for her to handle. "Your... sister... She's alright as well?"

"My sister?" (Isabella) drops down the notebook that was covering her face seeing the demon lord's concerned look. How come she was asking these questions?

"She's fine- and... thank you again for that day." she sighs wanting to have the day over so she can go to pick up her sister by the time her daycare ends.

Wait a minute.

Didn't she tell her she didn't have a last name?

"I thought... you didn't have a last name and that you didn't know your family..." (Isabella) remembered their conversation from before.

Did she lie?

Of course, she lied.

Now her full real name was actually Azel Hua Lin. Somebody with that kind of well off background would need to hide her identity, Isabella thought.

Azel has forgotten that she told her that back then- she didn't think she would remember but she feels happy... milady did tell her before, her name was an unforgettable one.

"I... am... adopted." (Azel) answered.

Isabella blinks a few times before biting her lips suddenly feeling a little guilty. "I see, thank you for explaining. Let's go ahead and focus on the class more." (Isabella) went back to her notes and started writing some more.

Azel just tried and did the same, she might need a lot more help on human communication from the looks of it.

Thank you to my patreon!
Platymage
Mis0

13