12 a.m.
67 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Alright, so all their cameras are broadcast in this cabin, but it’s pretty obvious that they're also recorded on a server outside the ship. Whatever happens, we’ll be in huuuge trouble with the yakuza,” I explain in Chinese, my finger jabbing at the security cabin on the hand-drawn map spread out in front of us. The paper even has some coffee stains from earlier. We're all sprawled out on the Italian guy’s VIP cabin’s plush couches, and I’m too tired to speak in Omond, so DIANA—Ms. Multilingual over here—is playing interpreter.

“I see, it’s all the way up there. It’s the farthest from the auction deck,” ARTEMIS chimes in, her eyes narrowing at the map.

I get what she's saying in Omond well enough, so I don’t need DIANA to play translator, but I keep responding in Mandarin. Hell, it’s easier to understand than to speak, even in your own language. “Exactly, so we have to strike at the exact same time. Problem is, they've noticed I’ve disappeared and are actively on the hunt for me. TIAN HUO won’t be able to cover for me much longer.”

DIANA raises an eyebrow, intrigued. “Where have you been hiding?”

TIAN HUO jumps in before I can say anything, “TIAN SHUI has a knack for remembering where the cameras are. He's been dodging them this whole time. If a crew member spots him, he acts like he’s me.”

“You two don’t even look that alike! Are these people blind?” DIANA blurts out, incredulous.

“You’d be surprised how little people actually notice. We technically joined less than a week ago and haven’t been buddy-buddy with anyone. If I act confident and mimic TIAN HUO’s intonation, they just brush it off. The ship’s full of deckhands—they probably think they mixed us up with someone else,” I explain with a casual shrug.

ARTEMIS is visibly annoyed. “What did he say?”

“Basically, the ship's crew is too dumb to notice they're different people,” DIANA snorts, barely giving ARTEMIS the Cliff Notes version.

Thankfully, no one chimes in with any stereotypical 'all Asians look alike' crap.

“Alright, whatever. All I got from Abhi was 'They’re monsters,' so yeah, I'm freaking out a bit. He ghosted me after that. He's probably pulling all-nighters. Don’t the Triads have anyone who could lend him a hand?”

Frustrated, I start jiggling my legs in the air. “No chance! We already got two shidi to help us infiltrate this mess. If we ask for more, they'll have to report it. Still can’t fathom why we’re even helping you bozos!”

DIANA scowls. “Hey, you agreed to take your share, remember?”

“Yeah, and I’m regretting it. Weren’t you guys supposed to be our bodyguards? Now you’re dragging us into your mess!”

“Come on, you don’t need bodyguards. Why'd you even request them from the agency? You never explained.” DIANA pries, curiosity getting the better of her.

I can't exactly tell them we're here to spy on them and might even off them if we don't get intel on their agency. So TIAN HUO chips in, whispering, “It's complicated.”

ARTEMIS shifts gears. “Speaking of bodyguards, what happened to your crew?” She eyes the Italian, who hasn't budged an inch since we got here. The guy’s sprawled on the luxurious white carpet, arms out like a starfish.

“They’re not my crew; they’re my cousins,” he mutters, sounding annoyed.

“Oh really? Where are they now?”

Flipping onto his stomach, arms still dramatically flung out, he grumbles, “Got caught. My fault.”

“Wait. What?” ARTEMIS and I are in sync with our disbelief.

“Don’t worry. They won’t talk. They’re family. They don’t know jack anyway.”

ARTEMIS grills him, “Where exactly are they?”

He pouts—actually pouts—“Dunno, somewhere, maybe a hospital deck, if there is one.”

DIANA stands up only to plunk her butt down on his back. “You’re my seat now. Quit sulking.”

Is he laughing? Jeez, this guy’s got weird tastes.

“DIANA, don’t sit on filthy things,” ARTEMIS scolds.

I can't take it anymore. In my broken Omond, I interrupt the comedy routine, “There is hospital. But too many cameras. Here on map.”

“Hmm,” is all the Italian offers, his eyes not even glancing at the map. Not like he could see it from his current position.

“So, we rescuing them or what?” ARTEMIS prods.

“Bad idea. Won’t,” TIAN HUO cuts in.

“Agree,” I second him.

ARTEMIS waits for the Italian, who finally shrugs, “Whatever.”

With a sigh, she grabs DIANA’s hand. “Let’s go eat, you in?”

“Sure. But do we have enough cash?”

“We’ll split some fries or something.”

“Not the healthiest, Miss Diet-Conscious.”

They exit, leaving the Italian still sprawled on the carpet. After a moment of silence, he turns his attention to us. “Can you help my cousins?”

I look at TIAN HUO before replying, “Why didn't you accept her help?”

“I don’t want to owe her,” he pouts again. “But you two are different. Name your price.”

TIAN HUO nods, “Not money. An oath.”

After pondering for a bit, the Italian sits upright. “Very professional. What’s the oath?”

TIAN HUO points skyward, “Your family will grant the Shensu Shu clan one wish. No questions asked.”

This guy thinks owing us is better than owing her? Either he's clueless or insane.

But as most would be trembling, fearing they'd just made a pact with the devil, he smiles.

“I, Francesco Cavalcanti, swear on my father’s name and my family’s honor to grant the Shensu Shu clan one wish, whatever it may be. Or—” He pauses for dramatic flair. “I, Francesco Cavalcanti, on my father’s name and on the honor of my family, swear to grant the Shensu Shu clan one wish, whatever it might be. Or may my soul rot in hell and my family fall into disgrace… Perché siamo tigri in un mondo di belve.”

The room hangs heavy with the weight of his words, as if he's just signed a contract with blood instead of ink.

 


 

Inside the infirmary deck, the woman who’s apparently not Camorra and her two Cavalcanti bodyguards look like they're trying to recover from a rough night. I settle down behind one of the empty doctors' desks and the guy sits across from me. Time to start the Q&A.

"So, may I ask your name again?"

"Caasi."

"Caasi, and that’s it? No last name?"

"No."

"And the Camorra link?"

"Not our name."

He looks kind of down, which isn't how I pictured a Camorra member. But then he just said he's not one, so what's going on?

"The Cavalcanti prince mentioned you were Camorra. Is that right?"

"No, we're not."

"So why did he think that? Have you met before?"

"We met at a Camorra event in Windy City, but we're not part of them."

"Why were you at their event?"

"We know some people there."

"And why did he say you were famous?"

"I don’t know."

"So, what brings you to this ship?"

"A vacation."

"Meeting anyone special?"

"No."

"Were you aware the Cavalcanti prince would be on board?"

"No."

"Why didn't you correct him about not being Camorra?"

"We didn’t get the chance. He's convinced we are. Would he even listen to us?"

Good point. The prince is a handful. But something's off with Caasi’s story. No one's on this ship for fun; it's basically a floating UN for the underworld.

"Who's the woman with you?"

"Airi."

"Just Airi?"

"Yes."

"What’s your relationship?"

"We're married."

"Did you meet through the Camorra?"

"No, we’ve known each other since we were kids."

"How'd you get involved with them?"

"In our twenties."

"Do you remember how?"

"I'm not quite sure."

"Could you try remembering?"

After thinking for a minute, probably making up something, he says, "We were gold diggers in America. Struck gold and they noticed us."

"Gold digging, like for real?"

"Yes, mines and rivers."

"Seriously? That's old school!"

Just as he's about to answer, a commotion at the door interrupts us. A deck rating is insisting on talking to me. "I need Sir TADPOLE immediately!" he shouts.

Ignoring the nurse's apologies, the guy walks in and says my sister’s in trouble. I start checking the details on my tablet, but before I know it, the tablet's destroyed. The guy must be a Triad agent or something.

"Sir TADPOLE, you need to come now or you'll end up like this tablet," he warns.

I've tried to act like I don't need my sister to take care of me, but after this, she’s definitely going to be my go-to backup on this ship.

6