Chapter 37: The In-Crowd
528 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was far from what Hakuta hoped for. Sure, it made complete sense that Iruka would’ve joined them. He himself was the one who said she should hang out with them more than him. It was just that it had still be the same day after he made her cry. So of course that would makes things rather awkward between them.

Unfortunately it was too late to back out now that he accepted the offer. Why did they even extend it to him if they knew she was with them? There was no way they had forgotten about what happened with him and her. After all, wasn’t that why they didn’t invite him in the first place?

Then again, despite not knowing the truth, he simply assumed this was why they didn’t invite him with them. It wasn’t that they were mad at him. They simply did it because they wanted to bring her along instead to cheer her up after what happened. Hakuta will never learn the truth.

“So anyway, let’s not stick around here like trees.” Said Yuusen, moving the group along. “We haven’t even checked out all the new stuff. Plus I think we should stop somewhere to eat.”

“Yeah, that sounds good to me.” Hakuta tried to play things natural. Surely after what he said to Iruka, she wouldn’t want anything to do with him. That said, she never seemed like the type of person to be angry. This didn’t make his heart feel any better to be walking even within her vicinity, but they should get used to it considering they sit so close to each other.

And so they returned to wandering aimlessly around this store with no actual items they wanted to buy. Hakuta couldn’t understand how anyone could find enjoyment in this. Whenever he shopped for things, which was video games, he knew exactly what he wanted. Funnily enough, despite being the one to come here with least reasons for shopping, he was the only one to actually buy something with the cologne.

“Hmm, I think I know just the place we should go.” Said Rouko, raising up her hand as if needing permission to speak. Not that she wanted on anyone to call on her as she made her suggestion. “There’s this popping cafe just down the road from here. I love trying out their new treats.”

“Sounds good to me.” Said Ninka, but she had another plan to take care of first before they got there. “Shiuka, on our way I need to talk to you. You don’t mind if we hang back a little bit, do you?”

“I can handle girl talk with you anytime.” She responded.

“Plus it’s more convenient too since I actually wanted to talk to Hakuta here too. So you don’t mind if we run up a little in front of everyone, right?”

“I guess not.” He was reluctant on wanting to have a private conversation. Mostly because he was the one who needed to put in more effort in walking ahead of everyone else. Still he was pleased his friends were back to normal once again, though their normal wasn’t something he was always a fan of.

They got into their arranged groups to move towards this cafe Rouko suggested. It wasn’t lost on Hakuta how strange this appeared if anyone were to be aware they were actually together as one whole group. Not just as three pairs moving towards the same destination. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

“I think I’m kind of into Ninka, actually.” He didn’t even beat around the bush. While it certainly wasn’t bad for him to be talking about actually wanting to date one of the girls. Hakuta had no clue why come to him of all people for advice. Not only did he have precisely zero experience when it came to girls, but it wasn’t like he was known for caring either.

“And you’re telling me this, why?” He responded, barely able to attach himself to the conversation at this point. There were a million better things he thought he could be doing instead. “I think you know me well enough that I can’t come in and help here.”

“No, that’s exactly why I’m asking for your help.” He countered with another point that only somewhat made sense to an outside viewer. “You know I love Itsuki to death, but we gotta view ourselves as rivals sometimes too.” Both of Hakuta’s friends did seem interested in the girls. So it would make sense for them to band together and help one another.

However, there was no telling who Itsuki liked more. So in Yuusen’s mind, it made much more sense to seek the aid of Hakuta instead. There was practically no chance of him being betrayed by someone who wasn’t even into gyaru’s in the first place.

“Right, I see where you’re coming from.” Hakuta sighed. If anything, he definitely put that on display in regards to Iruka.

“I can tell you’re thinking about her.” He continued on. “And I wanted to say we’re sorry for doubting you.”

“Huh?”

“Iruka, we talked to her before you got here.” He explained. “She said that nothing major happened between you two. I guess you really don’t want to be friends with her.”

“It’s more like I don’t need more people in my life.” At least with things cleared up, he really didn’t need to be concerned about them anymore. “You guys know me, I’m fine with who I know right now.”

“Doesn’t stop us from worrying about you.” Yuusen chuckled, giving him a light pat on the back. “We just want you to not have to look back on your youth with regret, that’s all. Maybe we should’ve been better friends about what happened earlier. So I’m real sorry, and I know Itsuki’s real sorry too.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He replied. “I can’t stay mad at you guys anyway.”

Meanwhile, Shiuka had her own conversation with Ninka. They stuck towards the back, which might seem odd if people thought it looked like they were tailing the others ahead. But fortunately they didn’t need any context since they were just a pair of cute girls. Why would they be stalkers?

“So what did you want to talk about, Ninka?” Asked Shiuka. “It must’ve been pretty important if you wanted to pull me aside now.”

“Yeah, I’d say it ranks pretty high on the important list.” Ninka answered, keeping her eyes forward, as if staring at someone in front of them. “You know, I think I might be back in the game for a boyfriend.”

“That’s so nice.” She clapped her hands in joy. “I thought you would’ve wanted a longer break after you broke up with the last one. What was his name again?”

“Beats me.” It was nearly impossible for anyone to remember who that classmate was. Was he even in the same class as them in the first place? “Anyway, yeah I am ready for someone new. And I think I’m looking at him too.”

“Really?” Shiuka looked at the only potential targets she could be hinting at. Which would be the boy who were with them. “Who is it? I’m sure that Yuusen and Itsuki would make for some good picks.”

“Two out of three and you still somehow miss.” Ninka laughed. “No, It’s Hakuta.”

“Ha-Ha… Him?” She couldn’t hide her shock when she brought up the name. Of all people, why him? “But, but…”

“Wow, I can’t believe it’s that crazy to you.” While it was an overreaction to the news. Ninka couldn’t say that it didn’t humor her. Which was enough to keep her from asking any questions as to why this reaction was apparently warranted. “I didn’t think he was that bad at all.”

“But, why?” Finally she was able to regain her composure to ask the important questions. “I mean, yeah I agree that Hakuta’s cool and all, but you two don’t seem to have a lot in common.”

“I mean, I don’t think he was being honest about why he came to the store in the first place.” She answered. “So I’m thinking he’s into one of girls, and I’m betting it’s me. No offense, but I’m clearly the hot one of the group.”

“None taken.” While Shiuka would disagree with her hubris, it would only because of her own arrogance that she would believe herself to be the most attractive girl.

“I know he’s a bit cold towards most girls like us, but I bet he’s just a shy guy like every dude who wears glasses.” Stereotypes aside, some people did take his attitude to be more so he wouldn’t have to be socially awkward with girls and embarrass himself on a daily basis. “I think someone passive like him would be pretty easy to control too.”

“Wait a second, do you even like him?” After knowing each other for years at this point. It became common knowledge that she wasn’t the type to consider her deep feelings on a boy before going in for a relationship. Though usually that was because the guys asked her out and she just said yes for a potential fun time.

“I’ll figure it out when I get there.” This time was no different. “But why are you so worried? Do you like him?”

“N-no, of course not!” Shiuka did everything in her power to keep her face from turning red to reveal her embarrassment. It was a failure, but an attempt was made. “We’re just friends, but at least think about what you’re doing before go along with this. I mean, if things don’t work out doesn’t that mean the other boys might stop hanging out with us?”

“Eh, maybe.” She didn’t seem worried over that hypothetical at all. “But what if he’s actually the one then? You wouldn’t want to keep me from my soulmate, would you?”

“We… Don’t know either way.” She mentally kicked herself. Of course she would pull out the soulmate card. “Fine.” Shiuka sighed after giving it some thought. “I’ll support you.” She reluctantly gave in. The girl knew she could only bank on her knowledge that Hakuta would never accept a confession from a gyaru. Surely this time would be no different.

This is only relevant for those following this story as I post chapters, but sorry for missing an upload yesterday. I fell ill, and am still battling my sickness. So I'm just really struggling to get up and write out chapters right now. I apologize for any inconvenience and hopefully I get better soon.

14