Chapter 95: The Slight Truth
174 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Things weren’t so bad now for Hakuta, surprisingly easy once the pieces all fell together actually. However it was also not a guarantee either. There was nothing stopping Ino from staying away from him like before after the day was finished. However if things continued on this path, then he was confident things would end up in his favor.

“Thanks for the smoothie.” Said Ino, sipping on a gift from Iruka. “You really didn’t have to.”

“But it’s so much funner when we’re all doing something together.” She assured her. “Really, it’s nice to see you kick back for once. I’m always seeing you busy with your work and ‘responsibilities’ that it’s cool seeing you like this.” Iruka had put air quotes around the world, responsibilities, that it almost seemed like she didn’t view what Ino did as the class representative as important.

“Someone has to do that stuff.” That small snide remark, even if not meant for any offense, was picked up on by the girl. “A lot of girls like you are always messing around and not helping.”

“Eh? Girls like me?” She was surprised to be blamed at all for any wrongdoing. In her mind, she normally avoided trouble and definitely didn’t like hurting others.

“Sorry, that came out wrong.” Ino turned her head down and away from her. “I just mean that no one else is taking care of things, so I end up having to do all the work.”

“But isn’t there Hakuta?” During her short time here, Iruka had seen him helping the girl out with carrying stuff. Considering his relatively weak build, she probably should’ve asked another boy who had strength in his arms. “I don’t know why you stopped asking him for help. I’m sure he’d love to do it if you asked.” There were better choices than him, but if he was the reliable one, then he should be the one for the task anyway.

“It’s complicated.” Ino turned towards Hakuta subtly, silently mouthing the words to ask for his aid. He took this and immediately came to the rescues.

“Anyway.” He said, cutting into the conversation. How about we get up and enjoy some of the sand? Can’t just stay sitting here on a beautiful day like today.”

“Yay, that sounds fun!” It was easy to dangle the keys of joy in front of Iruka to get her to take the bait. It allowed the other two some escape from their personal problems, even if all that girl was doing was trying to understand them better. It was unlikely she would have any negative feelings if she knew the truth.

But what if she knew the truth about Ino’s feelings? If she was aware that she hated not just her, but who she was. Would that be the line that pushes a kind, loving girl like Iruka to hate?

It was not a question he wished to see have answered ever in his lifetime. But knowing all the other secrets he tried to keep under wraps, the boy knew it was only a matter of time before it came out. After all, Shiuka was aware.

And knowing she was aware, even despite her not appearing to have any animosity towards either him nor their class rep, made him feel uneasy. This was what he wanted. He wanted Ino to be his friend, almost in an odd manner, even with the risks associated.

Which begged the question, why did he want her to be a friend? Hakuta risked a lot if he did succeed in his desires, so there had to be a good reason to why he would do this. Was Iruka right? Did he hold secret feelings towards this girl? The boy would disagree with that assessment, but the real reason just didn’t seem true to him.

Honestly, Hakuta just wanted to make a friend that he wanted in the first place. When it came to all the gyarus, the boy ended up being forced into that situation with them because of how he came to live with Shiuka.

Even the boys weren’t people he would say he walked up because he liked them. He only knew them because they lived next to each other growing up. While his friend’s families would move to different houses in junior high, they still stuck around because they all knew each other so well.

Ino was different. They conversed like normal students after meeting each other for the first time in high school. As classmates, it all came into place from the moment he offered to help her with her duties as the class representative early on. From there, it just seemed like something had grown between them organically. A relationship he had built on his own, with the universe doing nothing to force him into getting to know her.

It was like in some video games, where certain events would occur no matter what you did or how you played the game. Then there were some games that allowed a lot of flexibility in playing them. That one could pick and choose their allies, make their own decisions in impacting the story. Hakuta had mostly lived his life being forced to do things because of circumstance. Whether it was due to his family’s situation with money or having to deal with the usual issues a teen would suffer through because they weren’t just yet an adult.

To him, Ino was a breath of fresh air. Could he have gone out to make friends with other people? Perhaps, but she was also the one he wanted to be close to the most. The person where he had wanted, not needed, to be with.

“Say Ino.” He spoke up as they walked along the hot sand. “You know how to swim?” The heat had been getting back to him and even the refreshing drinks weren’t enough to keep him cool.

“I wouldn’t call myself a strong swimmer.” She responded. “But I won’t drown, if you’re suggesting we take a dive.”

“Great, let’s all go in together.” Said Iruka, who went on one side of the girl and took her hand. She then stood still and stared at Hakuta, waiting for the boy to do the same.

“That’s kind of embarrassing to do.” He replied after she began to make a face at him from impatience. The boy couldn’t understand how she couldn’t see it would look weird in front of a bunch of people if he just took some girl’s hand and jumped into the water. Probably the worst part would be sending the messages to the public.

“It is awkward, I admit.” Said Ino, who was the target of this potentially embarrassing action. “But I am willing to open up a little, as long as you’re willing to do the same.” She put up her hand for him to take. A clear message that she accepted and waited on him now.

“It is only one dive.” He sighed and took her hand. This wasn’t the first time Hakuta had gotten so close and touched a girl. In fact, pretty much he had gotten rather intimate contact with all the gyarus, so one would think he’d be used to it.

This also wasn’t the first time he’s held a girl’s hand before. Most of the same girls who planted a sweet kiss on his cheek also had the liberty of doing so with him. But with Ino, there was some slight differences. They weren’t firm like Ninka’s, nor were they soft like Shiuka’s. Hakuta wouldn’t say they were in that happy middle ground. More so that her hands felt like they were owned by someone who didn’t pay much attention to the finer details of their appearance. Natural, in a sense.

“Okay!” Iruka broke him out of this moment to call out loudly their intentions to jump into the water. Then quickly, and without warning, she rushed off towards the sea. Ino, with Hakuta right beside, found herself being nearly dragged along the sand. Were this rock or concrete, then her feet would’ve gotten scratched up badly.

Fortunately it wasn’t that and soon the trio found themselves leaping up into the air. Hakuta felt the weightlessness of the moment as he saw the world in slow motion. The boy turned his attention to the other two girls and for a brief fleeting moment, believed this was the joy boys wants with girls.

This moment would end just as quick and suddenly as it began once his feet touched the water. Time seemed to move at its normal rate once again as he submerged himself under the sea. The sea water was harsh in his eyes, but the boy had adjusted after combating multiple things attempting to keep him under. Mainly the body of teenage girls trying to have fun.

“Phew.” He reemerged from the waters, shaking his head to clear out the water dripping down his face. “That was a lot funner than I expected.” He laughed, turning his attention to the pair of girls beside him. They both got up from the water, where Ino wiped her face with her hands in a proper manner.

“I’ll admit, I did enjoy that.” She said, moving towards the shore to return to land. “Well, that’s more than enough for me.” Said Ino, as she stood up above the water’s surface. It was here, as she still faced Hakuta that he realized something had gone terrible wrong.

“Ahh!” He let out a scream, getting up quickly and forcing her back down under the water.

“Hey, what’s your problem?” She complained about his sudden change in mood which was accompanied by an uncharacteristic action. “I’m not leaving for good or anything.”

“Your…” He struggled to say the words, given the sensitive nature of things. “Your… T-t-t-top.”

6