Chapter 111: Game Over
148 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Really? Thanks!” Ninka was oblivious to the growing signs of animosity coming from her friend as she got herself comfortable to take over the game. “But just to let you guys know I really suck at this kind of stuff.” It was true that out of the girls, Ninka was likely the worst at video games. It mostly stemmed from never wanting to be careful. Which was evident as he watched rush quickly into enemies and never bother to dodge or block their attacks.

Meanwhile Shiuka was also watching along, but it wasn’t the gameplay she was interested in. Rather she was more focused on looking over at the girl sitting besides her as she got the more favorable position of being by Hakuta. This setup had began to make her blood boil a bit as envy seeped in slightly.

She didn’t know why, or rather didn’t want to admit to herself for the reasons why, she was upset with the sight. Shiuka was more than aware, just like everyone else in the room, about Ninka’s feelings towards the boy. So therefore it should be common courtesy to simply give her space to work her magic despite Hakuta’s apparent pushing away.

But this was her house and it seemed a bit unfair that she had to step back and take a background role in this scene despite being the one who lived here. Not to mention she was having a great time with him all alone before the other three showed up to ruin the mood. Why did this have to happen to her?

Then again, things going awry seemed to be pretty on-brand for Hakuta. So she wondered if this turn of events was him having life throw yet another curveball and she was unfortunately an innocent bystander hit by it as well.

“Agh! I died again.” Ninka visibly shook her legs up and down as she got killed in the game once more. At this point, in a very short period of time, she had managed to rack up a death count of about half a dozen before finally giving up. “Here, I bet you could beat this game in no time.” She handed the controller off to Hakuta.

“I was just going to let Shiuka play the game herself.” He responded, declining once more. “She did get this game, so it seems to make more sense.”

“Hmm… That is a good idea.” His suggestion only seemed to lead to another path he wasn’t a fan of when it came to Ninka. “How about the two of us sneak off while it’s her turn?” She whispered softly into his ear, a clear indication of her wishing to steal away from alone time. “I’m sure she’s good with us just wondering into one of the extra rooms here.” In her mind, she assumed her best friend would allow this because what reason would she have to be against it?

“Or maybe we could do something else.” Shiuka cut in on the conversation, taking away the controller and turning off the game. Of course, while Ninka didn’t know, there was reason for her to be against such an idea. There was also the added problem that one of the extra rooms was now Hakuta’s, so they didn’t want to risk her going in there and finding out someone lived there. Though that wasn’t the reason on Shiuka’s mind.

“Yeah, how about we read some of these magazines you got.” Rouko knew things were on a rather tense level. She needed to do something to defuse the situation as best she could and salvage things before it got too messed up. “Bet there’s some cute new outfits going on sale.”

“Ooh, there better be.” Iruka clapped her hands in excitement. “I hope they got the new autumn collection this issue.” It seemed to work towards relieving some of the discomfort felt by Shiuka as Ninka simply forgot about the strangeness and showed off the stuff she had brought along.

Originally her plan was to just bring this along to have something else to do with Shiuka, but that would’ve only been there to give them something else to do beyond her goal of wanting to talk about Hakuta. Despite talking and hanging out with him multiple times, he was still a mysterious boy to her. But it seemed that he was much more open when it came to her friend. So she hoped there could’ve been some useful advice.

Of course were this under more normal circumstances, then it would be unlikely she’d get any useful help at all. Shiuka wasn’t keen on giving her friend any advantage, even if she totally supposedly had no reason for wanting to deter the potential relationship.

“Oh my gosh, isn’t this so cute?” Said Iruka, as another problem began to arise for Hakuta in this moment. While he was relieved of having to deal with talking to Ninka on a personal level. His position among them was beginning to make him feel a bit isolated.

To put it simply, he truly was a nerd surrounded by gals in their natural habitat. They were talking about subjects he truly didn’t care so deeply about, which he had gotten used to when it came to school. But right now he had basically no reprieve on it as he simply had to watch on and listen to them talk.

This must’ve been how they felt when he talked about video games, he thought. How they likely didn’t care about it, for the most part, and only took part because he happened to be their friend. But just like them, he hoped there could be a part he could enjoy from this just as they might’ve had a video game or two they enjoyed playing unironically.

“Hakuta, what do you think of the men’s fashion?” Shiuka asked him, trying to get the boy into the conversation. “Would you wear any of this?”

“It’s a little bit… Too much for me.” He replied, taking a quick scan through the options. Most of the designer wear appeared to make it seem like he was trying to cry out for attention. “I think what I wear is good enough for me.”

“But it’s not anything special.” Rouko commented. Most of the time whenever they saw him, he was in school uniform. Then if he was at home, it was apparently spent mostly in some shorts and a baggy t-shirt. While the other girls were not aware, Shiuka did ask if there was any reason for his fashion choice and he had explained to her that it helped him kick back during game time.

“Yeah, I bet if you got yourself a nice polo and some good jeans. A lot of girls would start wanting to talk to you.” Said Iruka, which was ironic seeing as a bunch of girl were already talking to him. “Maybe if you got contact too?” She stopped to ponder what would be considered more handsome to girl. A boy with or without glasses?

“I’m not looking to try and get girls’ attention.” He set a glare towards Ninka’s way. It should’ve been a good indicator that he was not interested in her, let alone anyone for the most part. But it was clear from her that she wasn’t worried about details such as those.

“Are you ever going to?” Rouko asked him. “You’re friends definitely got the bug, but you just keep wanting to stick to yourself.”

“And what’s wrong with that?” He replied, feeling attacked with her words. “That’s just what I want to do.”

“Sure, we’re only first years right now so it’s no big deal.” She explained to him. “What about when we’re second or even third years? Are you just going to let the best years of your youth go?”

“Rouko, you’re being kind of weird.” He responded, feeling a bit of unease from her sudden care of him. Was it because she was trying to help out Ninka by pushing him a little to give that relationship a chance? It would make sense, but he would’ve thought she’d figure out that dating for him was a bit of a challenge because of his living situation.

Sure, he and Shiuka had told each other numerous times that they had no issues with the other dating other people. Not like they needed each other’s permission since they weren’t related to each other at all. But the case had to do with being concerned about their secret. If they dated someone, then eventually it might end up coming to light. “Fine, I’ll think about it if that’s what you guys want.” He gave them an inch when it came to this otherwise meaningless argument. “I’ll try one outfit that’ll supposedly make me ‘look good’ to you girls.”

“Nice.” Ninka clasped her hands as she stood up and collected the things she had brought along. “Look, I gotta get going now. You know, I was only planning on being here for, like, any hour.” Her original goal might not have been accomplished, but she was more than pleased with the results.

“That’s fine, dinner’s going to be soon.” Said Hakuta, breathing a sigh of relief that she’d be going now along with everyone else.

“You know, Hakuta.” Too bad his relaxed state didn’t last long when it came to her next suggestion. “Can I walk you home?”

6