Chapter 23: Inside and Outside the Box
1.8k 8 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I strolled into the private booth, shutting the door behind me as I stepped inside. Professor Lupin was already there, lost in his thoughts, his gaze far away. But when he noticed me, he snapped out of it and greeted me with a warm smile.

"Well, well, you seem rather serene for a change," he quipped.

I raised an eyebrow, not quite sure if that was meant as a compliment. "Pardon?"

"Oh, my apologies. I've grown accustomed to your perpetually gloomy presence from a couple of years ago in my class," he clarified, his tone light. "Is Miss Delacour responsible for this… newfound tranquility?"

I shook my head as I took a seat across from Lupin. "You're the last person I'd think would take an interest in a student's personal affairs, professor."

He chuckled at my retort. "Ah, but you see, Mr. Whitlock, I'm no longer your professor."

"True enough, though it does feel rather strange not to address you as 'professor'," I mused. "Anyway, did Dumbledore send you here?"

Lupin arched an eyebrow. "And what leads you to that conclusion?"

"Not too difficult to deduce," I shrugged. "Regardless of whether I join the order or not, Voldemort's likely to have me in his sights. And you've been sent here to keep watch, just in case."

"Order?" the professor feigned innocence.

Hearing that, I let out a sigh and leaned back, fixing my gaze on Lupin. "Come on now, professor, no need to beat around the bush."

After a brief pause, Lupin gave in. "So, what's your plan? Even if you turn me away, Archibald, someone else will take my place and handle the task more discreetly. No contact with you, of course."

"Oh, don't worry, professor, I do plan to hire you," I said, noticing a hint of surprise on his face. "But it comes with a full-time commitment. I'm quite certain Dumbledore's mentioned other duties for you as well, perhaps mingling with fellow werewolves?"

Lupin chuckled softly. "You've caught wind of that, have you? What gave it away? Me being one myself?"

"Amusing," I replied, though it wasn't really. "If you're considering the job, you'll have to let go of that particular duty."

"You understand perfectly well that's not feasible, Archibald," he said, a smile playing on his lips. "I happen to be rather uniquely suited for it."

"Then find someone else to watch over this shop," I suggested with a nonchalant shrug.

"The order can't afford to allocate too many resources presently; everyone's got a handful of tasks. Which is why Dumbledore's sent me," he explained. "To many, the return of the dark lord lacks sufficient evidence. It's all rather exasperating, really. What more do they need? Isn't it clear enough that Crouch Jr. made a last-minute attempt to kidnap Harry?"

"Perhaps they'll only be convinced when they stumble upon the lifeless body of a student…" I trailed off.

Lupin's expression turned into a frown. "What?"

"Forget it," I shook my head. "Speaking of which, what happened to the portkey, professor? The cup, I mean."

"Dumbledore intercepted it before Fudge's people could get their hands on it," Lupin clarified. "From what I've gathered, it leads to a graveyard near Little Whinging. Signs of dark rituals being prepared – a cauldron, a dug-up grave – but no Death Eaters or Voldemort himself. We've stationed a few agents to watch the area, though I doubt it'll yield much."

"I see," I murmured. "Seems like I can't hire you just yet, professor."

"Seems that way," he sighed.

"However... I might have a suggestion."

"A suggestion?" Lupin raised an eyebrow. "I'm listening."

“Word has it that Diggory is facing some employment issues," I suggested. "Considering he testified last term, he might be open to joining the Order, if you're interested."

"Diggory?" Lupin's brow furrowed. "Are you referring to—"

"Both the father and the son," I confirmed. "Amos Diggory is quite proud of his child, I hear. He'd probably pick him over the Ministry. I can extend an offer to Cedric, and you can approach him later about the Order."

"Cedric Diggory... just graduated," the professor mused, his gaze drifting as he pondered.

I scoffed. "Coming from the same Order that wanted to recruit a fifth-year student."

Lupin shook his head with an amused smile. "I can't make such decisions unilaterally, Archibald, as you well know. I'll bring this up in the next meeting. Thanks for the idea."

"Very well," I said, rising from my seat, Lupin following suit. As I opened the door, he excused himself. "Oh, and Archibald? Take care."

"I will," I nodded. "You as well, professor."

I'm strolling down the corridor of the emporium once more, right after Professor Lupin's departure. I gave a quick scan around, and lo and behold, Fleur wasn't anywhere near the counter. Only Merton was holding down the fort. He informed me that she'd headed upstairs once again, likely to inspect the items and scope out her office for the year. As I reached the front door of her office, it became quite clear that the door itself was wide open and a bit of a ruckus was emanating from within.

So, I positioned myself casually within the door frame, sort of leaning against it, and took a gander at what she was up to. Still dressed in her elegant attire, there she was, busy rearranging the clutter that had taken over the room. Piles of papers, unnecessary decorations, and even a handful of those precious antique bits and bobs were being shuffled about. She was quite engrossed in her task, waving her wand and using her dainty hands to revamp the room's layout. Remarkably focused, it seemed she was either completely oblivious to my presence or simply chose to overlook me.

Then, her attention shifted towards the portrait of yours truly hanging on the wall. She lingered there for a bit, hands resting on her hips, a slightly furrowed brow gracing her features. This scene played out for a good minute or so. I must say, it was rather endearing. Though I can't quite fathom her thoughts, but it's evident they're far from complimentary.

Suddenly, Fleur seemed to snap out of her reverie. She wielded her wand in a graceful arc, and the portrait obediently detached itself from its spot on the wall, gently floating down to the floor. She reached for a cloth at her side and, with a certain finesse, draped it over the painting.

Blimey, she really doesn't fancy that painting, does she? 

"What are you up to?" I piped up, making my presence known, and it appeared to startle her a bit.

"Archie!" she exclaimed, her head snapping in my direction. "You gave me a fright."

"I've been here the entire time," I shrugged, glancing back at the painting. "What's your plan for that then?"

"Well, it is ‘ardly necessary now, is it?" she remarked. "And it is not exactly a sight for sore eyes either."

Hold on, was that meant as an insult? "Are you saying I'm ugly?"

"Not like that," she rolled her eyes, leaning on the desk and crossing her arms. "I just do not enjoy seeing you looking so down, especially since you appear so young in the painting."

A chuckle escaped me at her words. "So, what would you rather see?"

"A smile. Ideally with me next to you," she quipped, a smirk dancing on her lips.

"Quite the charmer, Fleur," I shook my head with a grin, adjusting my stance as I headed towards the desk. Opening one of the drawers, I fetched some blank parchment, along with ink and a quill. Settling into the chair, I got comfortable, readying myself to put pen to paper.

"That is actually my seat you ‘ave got there," Fleur pointed out, slightly pouting, still leaning against the desk.

"Well, I'm just borrowing it," I hummed. Without much ado, she simply strolled around to the opposite side of the desk, hovering over me to catch a glimpse of my writing, her Lavender scent enveloping me. A rather enticing scent, I must say.

"Penning a letter to Granger?" she asked, her tone neutral.

I perked up. "What if I said yes?"

"Really? At this hour?" she whispered near my ear, her hand finding its place on my shoulder. The room seemed to heat up rather rapidly...

A chuckle escaped me at her playful demeanor. "I'm actually writing to Diggory, so calm down."

"Cedric Diggory?" she inquired again, her grip on my shoulder easing. "You're writing a letter to ‘im yourself?"

"I need to arrange a meeting," I replied. "Face to face."

Fleur arched her brow. "But why? You could ask Merton to do that."

"Considering he's guarding the shop you'll be working at, I need to see to him carefully."

Fleur rolled her eyes once more. "Tell me the real reason."

"I'm being serious," I smirked. "What if he accidentally falls for you because of your charm? You won’t be able to return the feelings, and he'll be stuck here, miserable."

She playfully knocked my head with her knuckles, a hint of haughtiness in her snort. "It is not funny."

"Alright, alright," I chuckled. "I simply want to fill him in, about the possibility of the Order approaching him, and the conditions if he fancies a role here."

"The Order might approach him?"

"Maybe, not entirely certain. I did suggest it to Lupin."

"Wait, your professor is part of the Order?" she frowned.

Hold on, what? "Isn't it rather obvious?"

"Not at all," she huffed. "Archie, you have never said a word to me about them."

Hmm... "Really?"

"Absolutely," she reiterated.

"Oh well, I'll brief you later then," I said, finally setting about the task of writing the letter.

"’ow about now?" she suggested, her chin resting on my shoulder. "Time is on our side, isn't it?"

One of her hands started to trail down to my thighs, lingering provocatively... Fuck me, Fleur, hold on... I mean... Ugh...

"Fleur," I murmured.

"Yes?" she whispered, using her other hand to wave her wand, gently shutting the door of the room.

"Cut that out," I admonished. "Fine, I'll clue you in..."

She straightened up from her position, sighing and leaned back against the desk. "When did you become such a prude, Archie?"

"Just not here, alright? Wouldn't want Merton barging in on something he shouldn't see," I explained.

Fleur chuckled, not pushing the matter further, just observing as I composed the letter intended for Diggory. Later on, I elaborated on what I knew about the Order - the members, their background... Even after finishing the letter, I carried on explaining.

The evening slipped by swiftly, with just Fleur and me in the shop's office.

 

Merton Sterling

Made by AI

33