Chapter 19: First of his Name (Vaemond, Visenya) (Part 1)
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

10th Moon, 8018

Streets of Oldtown

Oldtown was the greatest city that Vaemond had ever seen. Winding streets of well cobbled stone made the city a maze, and bridges connecting small islands to each other further divided the city, to the extent that it could be said that Oldtown was multiple cities within a city.

‘’A man could spend a lifetime in this city and still not get the measure of it.’’ Vaemond said, earning a chuckle from Lord Commander Corlys Velaryon who was riding alongside him, a long white cloak covering his shoulders and even some of his horse.

‘’It is strange to think…..my father rode down this same street…with the same purpose.’’ Vaemond continued.

‘’I was in Kings Landing during his coronation…..but from what I see you have drawn a greater crowd than him.’’ Corlys replied, nodding to the throngs of people that had gathered to watch the Targaryen retinue make their way down the streets towards the Starry Sept, it was truly packed, with food vendors selling their wares and children on the backs of the parents to catch a glimpse of the Targaryen procession as well as Vaemonds mothers dragon Vhagar, which flew high above in the air.

‘’I can take little credit for that……my father brought peace to Westeros, I heard it said that so long as the people of this Kingdom have peace and prosperity they don't care who sits the Iron Throne.’’ Vaemond continued.

‘’Many in this crowd were suckling babes when your father took his throne…..they've known naught but peace.’’ Corlys agreed.

Vaemond glanced behind him, where his mother Visenya was riding, still dressed in the black mourning attire of a dowager queen, a blank expression on her face.

He slowed his pace ‘’I know this is hard for you mother.’’

She gave the slightest of smiles ‘’My son is coming into his crown….It is a source of happiness for me.’’

Vaemond nodded not fully believing her, last night in his chambers of the Hightower, Nyel had confided in him after they had finished that she had seen their mother crying in her chambers. Vaemond understood, every minute spent in this city was likely salt on an open wound for his grieving mother…every step within the city bringing forth a memory of her late brother's coronation some 18 years earlier.

The Starry Sept came into view, its black marble standing in stark contrast to the white stone and cobbled streets much of the city was built from. The street leading up to the sept was made up of sprawling manses and villas of the pious.

‘’It seems as if ones piety is determined by who their father was.’’ Vaemond said pointedly as they passed the ‘’mansions of the pious.’’

‘’It's the way of the world.’’ Corlys said with a nod.

The Targaryen procession made its way closer to the sept, riding through the large plaza of bleached white stone. This is where the lords of the realm waited, many standing in groups of their fellow regional lords…..there were hundreds of them.

He saw more banners and sigils than he could possibly count, he made out his Hand, Orys Baratheon sharing a joke with a  crowd of his Stormlords, one eyed as he was he still made for an impressive sight, turning his eyes towards the lords of the Vale he made out Lord Nestor Royce as well, smiling to his daughter Demerei, who rode in the procession along with Matarys. While some lords conversed among themselves, most of the hundreds of nobles in the courtyard stared at the young Targaryen prince, eager to catch a glimpse of the man who would be their King. With the exception of the Eyrie and Fair Isle, Vaemond had mostly remained in Kings Landing during his upbringing and most lords knew little about him.

Vaemond made for an impressive sight, while traditionally gifts were given after the coronation, his mother had gifted him with a splendid suit of armor ahead of his coronation, black plate with a dragon made of the finest rubies money could buy, and a long red cloak flowing from the shoulders. At his side in a  sheath of black leather was his fathers Valyrian steel sword Blackfyre, its ruby glinting in the sunlight. Vaemond had also done his best to grow as much of a beard as he could for his 16 years in an effort to make him look more kingly.

The High Septon that awaited them upon the courtyard was different from the one that had presided over Aegon's coronation, with the man, known only by the moniker ‘’The Wise One’’ having preceded the previous septon over 12 years earlier.

The septon had short brown hair and blue eyes with a large nose, and was surrounded by the men of the Warriors Sons, who were commanded by Ser Garmon Hightowers brother Leyton.

The septon commanded the warriors sons to help the Targaryen retinue from their horses with an authoritative command, though Vaemond dismissed his help and dismounted himself, as did his Kingsguard.

The High Septon studied Vaemond as you approached ‘’You have a Kings look.’’

‘’The least important quality of a King.’’ Vaemond replied.

‘’And yet the one in which the most assumptions will be drawn from.’’ The High Septon finished.

‘’I admired your father…..all of Westeros under one King….there were conflicts to be sure, but never before has such a period of peace graced our land.’’ The man continued as they walked towards the entrance to the Starry Sept.

‘’I am sure you do not complain about your increased ability to influence the faith in all the seven Kingdoms either.’’ Vaemond said curtly.

The High Septon gave a small chuckle at that ‘’The faith has a duty to the people of the realm…just as much as Kings.’’

The inside of the sept was magnificent, made of black polished marble contrasted with stained glass of all colors sending rays of light streaming into the sept, Vaemond and the High Septon made their way to the raised dais of black marble while hundreds of nobles made their way into the septs, a mass of silks, doublets and sigils of houses beyond count.

The coronation went by rather fast, the High Septon did not pray to each of the seven, and it seemed to Vaemond that the man scarcely mentioned them at all, only making cursory references while anointing Vaemond with the holy oils.

‘’Just as a knight has the duty to protect the weak and innocent…so too does a King have a duty to protect his subjects.’’ The High Septon said, anointing Vaemond as a Knight.

Following his appointment as a knight, the High Septon placed his father Aegon's crown, which he had given to Corlys Velaryon before he attempted to save his son, upon Vaemonds head, proclaiming him King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.

Following this, the nobility of the realm gathered on the plaza of the Starry Sept for a feast to celebrate the King's Coronation, the same plaza his father had held his coronation feast near two decades prior.

Plaza of the Starry Sept

The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard led the long line of nobles which snaked through the plaza of the Starry Sept, winding around tables and chairs.

The feast, which had gone on for several hours, had finished and it was now time for oaths of fealty.

Corlys Velaryon approached the Kings table  ‘’As commander of your Kingsguard allow me to be the first to swear my sword to you…..on behalf of my sworn brothers…my loyalty..and theirs…is yours to rely upon.’’

He then drew his sword and knelt.

‘’Rise Lord Commander….as paramount knight of the realm and my truest ally.’’ Vaemond said, gesturing the older man to his feet.

Next had come the Lord Paramounts, all of whom were present save for Vickon Greyjoy, and Brandon Stark of the North, who had sent Theon Tallhart, his castellan to swear fealty in his place, with the castellan explaining that while his liege lord would uphold his vows, he had no plans of attending the coronation due to the circumstances of King Vaemonds birth.

Harlan Tyrell was next, his red hair rapidly fading into gray, but he still made for a dignified sight wearing a green doublet with golden silk thread.

‘’Lord Tyrell.’’ Vaemond nodded.

‘’Your Grace…on behalf of my bannermen I do swear fealty to you…the knights of the Reach and all their chivalry are yours.’’ The aging man said.

Vaemond nodded ‘’I would have more than just your oath if you would be agreeable my lord….you served my father well for many years, even as a child that was apparent….my mother erred  when she dismissed you….I can only apologize for the circumstances of your dismissal and would name you master of coin…should you accept.’’

Visenya, who was seated at her sons right reddened at that but Harlan Tyrell nodded ‘’It is true it was poorly done to send me away….but I accept the position your Grace…I shall return to the capitol within the month, once I finish my affairs here.’’

Next had been Orys Baratheon, who had shared a jest with the new King, while Vaemond confirmed his position as hand of the King.

The pledges of Deria Martell and Loren Lannister were courteous and formal, if uneventful, with Loren being quiet and soft spoken and Deria Martell was clearly still mourning the death of her hedge knight husband.

Ronnel Arryn, once his pledge was complete had promised that now that King Vaemond had officially ascended into his throne he could make preparations to end the Vales war against the Three Sisters pending a royal request. The war had been started,and all but demanded in truth by his vassals, with attempts by the Queen Regent failing to end the conflict due to lack of true royal power.

Vaemond suspected that his royal demand to end the fighting would only serve to save face for the Knights of the Vale, who had surprisingly made few gains against the Sistermen over several months of conflict, with the Sisterman fiercely defending their land but he promised Ronell he would make arrangements for the royal command all the same.

The final Lord Paramount to pledge loyalty was Samwell Tully who was also the news to inherit the role. Vaemond had been prepared to offer Edmyn Tully his former role as Master-of-Laws, but the Lord of the Trident had died only months prior, leaving his son as the new lord.

Following the young Riverlords oath of fealty came the other nobles of the realm, with this taking place over several hours, with most lords oaths only taking a minute at most, yet there were still some important conversations to be had.

At the forefront of the group was Nestor Royce, Lord of Runestone and father of Demerei Royce, who was married to the King's brother Matarys.

The Lord of Runestone approached, dressed simply in a woolen doublet, looking every bit a warrior.

‘’Lord Royce….I witnessed your victory at the tourney of Kings Landing and even as a boy I was told of your martial prowess and reputation as the Vales master of arms and my brother has become a man of honor under your guardianship, I would offer you the same role as Marshal of my Kingdoms.’’ Vaemond had told the man, and the Lord of Runestone had accepted the offer with a humble bow, stating how it would be good to be close to his daughter and future grandchildren.

The only other appointment Vaemond had made was offering old Rickard Stokeworth the position of master of laws, the man was over 60 and likely didn't have many years left but he was well respected and would do good to cement first impressions for the new King's reign.

The oaths of fealty went on till late in the evening, and when finished the Targaryens withdrew to their chambers in the Hightower with plans to remain in Oldtown for one more day.

1