Chapter 19: First of His Name (Part 2)
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Following Morning

Solar of the Hightower

The morning light lazily made its way through the glass windows of the Lord Hightowers solar, which he had graciously allowed the newly assembled small council to convene for their first meeting. It would take some time for all the lords of the small council to wrap up their affairs to be able to venture to the capitol so this would be the only meeting for quite a while, and there was much to discuss.

When everyone had gathered, the meeting began.

‘’My lords…..I would know of the affairs of the realm, my mother has kept me apprised of the violence in the Vale and the Iron Islands, but not to the level a King must be.’’ Vaemond began.

Rickard Stokeworth nodded, he had consulted with the Maesters on the citadel to prepare himself to advise the King on such short notice.

‘’The violence in the Vale is fairly straightforward, Ronnel Arryns vassals all but demanded an attack on the Sisters but have made little strategic gains, the Sistermen even sailed to the Vale itself and took a small fortress on the fingers….but the war will end once the lords of the Vale hear they were given  royal command to cease their attack.’’

Rickard continued, explaining how House Donniger of the Vale had disrupted the peace of the Vale by conquering the small island of the Paps and displacing House Elesham in the process, and had continued their aggression by attacking the Lynderlys of Snakewood, though it appeared House Lynderly was managing to hold off the aggressors.

‘’I suppose there is little we can do but let the war run its course…House Donniger has managed to find claims on the land, it is their right to wage war, we can only hope the Lynderlys hold them off ’’ Vaemond sighed.

‘’What of the Iron Islands….I hear they are awash in violence’’ Vaemond asked.

‘’Unlike the situation in the Vale it is much harder to ascertain the cause of the fighting; it is a mixture of clan feuds and family claims, as well as religious tension as around half the populace of Orkmont has converted to the faith of the seven….Vickon Greyjoys youngest son was slain in the fighting I hear.’’ His mother Visenya answered.

‘’The Ironborn have never needed an excuse to turn on eachother I suppose.’’ Vaemond mused.

‘’Your father agreed that sometimes a little violence in the Islands was a good thing…keeps them occupied.’’ Visenya said.

The young King nodded ‘’Still we must find a way to keep them in the fold somehow….Send Lord Vickon a raven offering him the position of Master of Ships, he need not remain in the capitol permanently or even arrive until his lands find peace.’’

Grandmaester Arlan nodded and wrote down the command on a piece of parchment, he would be sending a good deal of ravens before they departed Oldtown.

‘’It seems House Yronwood has made an unlikely recovery as well, their house will live on.’’ Lord Stokeworth said.

‘’I thought Lady Yronwood was past childbearing age?’’ Vaemond said with surprise.

‘’She is, and her two children were born into house Vaith, her husband's house, but to ensure the survival of the house, the boy Ser Gascoyne and his sister took the name of their mothers house, House Vaith was displeased as Yronwood was set to be inherited into their family but the house will live on.’’ Rickard explained.

‘’If their house continues they may seek revenge for the death of their kin.’’ Vaemond said with a  frown.

Visenya shook her head ‘’I have been aware of Lady Yronwoods plot for a while now and had the boy watched, he does not seem the sort to seek revenge for a matter that has been settled, and what's more the Dornish learned what happens when the road of revenge is chosen.’’

Lord Tyrell shared what information he had through his trading networks in Essos, and as usual, the Free Cities were at each other's throat. The Free City of Lorath had fractured into two during a civil war, with the Island proper splitting from its overseas colonies, and a Braavosi had managed through war and intrigue to ascend to the role of Magister of Pentos and the entirety of the Pentoshi nobility had risen up against him.

Following the briefing of affairs both close to home and in the east, Vaemond had several other matters to lay before the council.

‘’Lord Stokeworth, I want gifts sent to Brandon Stark and Deria Martell, i'll leave it up to you to decide whether its best sent in gold dragons or jewels and the like, Lord Tyrell will see you are given what you need to deliver them personally’’ Vaemond commanded before continuing ‘’See Lord Jarman Chyttering of the Kingswood is given a gift as well, I could use support close to the capitol.

‘’It will be as you say your Grace.’’ Stokeworth replied.

‘’A King should not need to send gifts to inspire loyalty…your father had no need for such ploys.’’ Visenya said pointedly.

‘’Father also had a hundred foot dragon….Moondancer is but the size of a small dog, growing yes but I do not wield the same type of power as he did, nor the same respect, the purpose of gold is not only to to increase one's power and influence but also to keep it…that is what these gifts will do.’’

‘’Well spoken your Grace.’’ Lord Stokeworth said, earnings  glare from Visenya.

‘’One final matter….it concerns the state of Dragonstone, my family's ancestral seat….it is not sufficient and I am prepared to make considerable efforts to improve the lives of those living there.’’ Vaemond began.

He turned to Grandmaester Arlan ‘’The Grandmaester and my mother have both advised me that the island could benefit from the introduction of roads to connect the small fishing hamlets as well as the castle of Dragonstone to the keep of Windwyrm, I remember it was a tough ride when I toured the island with my father some years ago….Lord Tyrell, I trust you will make the preparations upon your arrival to the capitol.’’

Harlan Tyrell nodded ‘’I shall see to it your Grace.’’

‘’That is not all…..I remember the village of Derlyn well from my visit, the smallfolk were hospitable to both me and my father, despite their small means, it is in truth a tiny village but given that the smallfolk have served my ancestors for well over a century, I would see them rewarded…Lord Tyrell, have builders sent to construct a small harbor to host traders from the Narrow Sea and have a few fishing galleys built for their sustenance.’’ Vaemond commanded.

Harlan Tyrell ran a hand through his mustache ‘’I will see it done, but such things are expensive.’’

‘’The cost is of little import, just see it done.’’ Vaemond said curtly..before rising to his feet, causing the rest of the small council to do the same.

‘’Thank you for your council my lords, it has been a productive one….we can adjourn for today, and shall meet again in the capitol once you have all settled your affairs…Lord Commander Corlys, please track down my brother and have him sent in.’’ Vaemond said, nodding farewells to his small council.

Some time later, Matarys entered the chamber and Vaemond gestured to the seat in front of him.

‘’I trust you have been enjoying Oldtown…we leave upon the morrow.’’ Vaemond asked his brother.

His brother wrinkled his nose ‘’It is a fine city but….the hypocrisy of the faith knows no bounds….they preach of charity and good deeds but live in manses upon the steps of the sept.’’ His brother said with disdain.

‘’You are right….but you must do a better job of concealing your disdain….angering the septon at Kings Landing is one thing but best keep your thoughts to yourself in this city.’’ Vaemond said not unkindly and his brother nodded.

‘’You are almost a man grown….it's time to think about your future.’’ Vaemond said to his younger brother, who was only one year younger than Vaemonds 16 years.

‘’I would give you Dragonstone Matarys…..it was our ancestral seat, and now it would be yours…you would have your own household, cooks, knights, handmaidens to help Demerei.’’ Vaemond began but his brother interrupted him.

‘’No…No…I don't want it…I won't take it.’’ Matarys said almost frantically.

‘’You are a Targaryen prince…things are expected of you.’’ Vaemond said with a frown.

‘’I don't want things to be expected of me…I don't want to be a lord….I could never punish peasants or demand taxes…id be no better than the faith.’’ Matarys said, the words spilling out.

Vaemond raised his hands to calm him, a little disconcerted by his brother's outburst. ‘’I won't force you Matarys..just..just think about it.’’

After his brother had left, he was about to leave and make preparations for the trip back to King's Landing when Nyel entered the chamber.

‘’Your Grace.’’ She said, bowing her head slightly.

‘’You don't have to call me that.’’ Vaemond said, for what felt like the 100th time, his sister had been given an education centering around court life and her courtesies were deeply ingrained into her personality.

His sister did not respond to that and had a strange look on her face.

‘’What is it?’’ Vaemond asked.

‘’I have not yet given you your coronation gift…..’’ Nyel began.

Vaemond raised his eyebrows at that.

His sister lightly laughed ‘’Not that…..but…I'm with child Vaemond.’’

‘’How can you be sure.’’ Vaemond asked.

‘’I spoke with mothers handmaiden Elayana….she confirmed it.’’ Nyel replied.

‘’If we are not married soon….the lords of the realm will see the child as a bastard…..in addition to all the rest they turn their noses at…id best speak to mother.’’ Vaemond said and Nyel nodded.

Later that Day

Solar of the Starry Sept

A Targaryen does not beg  Visenya thought as the was escorted through the halls of the Starry Sept by Ser Lyonel Hightower, commander of the Warriors Sons, older and fatter than he had been when she had last seen him but no less eloquent, though the smell of wine and beer adorned him like a cloak.

‘’The High Septon awaits inside.’’ Ser Lyonel said with a  bow once they came to the door and Visenya nodded.

‘’Your grace I am pleased to be able to speak to you in person….your leadership in the regency was admirable…please take a seat…there is some arbor red if you would like.’’ The High Septon said, gesturing to the seat.

Visenya made no move to sit down.

The High Septon nodded slightly ‘’Here on business I see…what is it I can help you with Queen Visenya.’’

‘’I will be requiring your services to conduct a wedding here in the Starry Sept.’’ Visenya replied.

‘’And whose wedding would that be.’’ The High Septon asked cooly.

‘’The wedding of my children….one being the King you recently placed a crown on..I trust you remember him…and spare me the sermon High Septon….I know how you and your gods feel on the matter.’’ Visenya said, a hint of the dragon coming out in her tone.

Visenya expected the High Septon to grow angry at that but instead he laughed ‘’My Queen, you give me an honor I do not deserve….they are hardly my gods…I cant claim ownership of them or control their actions….or even guarantee their existence.’’

Few things shocked Visenya but the High Septons nonchalant attitude towards his own faith left her silent and dumbfounded.

The High Septon stood from his seat ‘’I imagine you are shocked by that my Queen…a Septon that is not even sure the gods he supposedly represents are real and if they are, are the right ones….a shock to be sure, but I suppose far more surprising things have happened.’’

‘’I studied at the Citadel for two years before I became a Septon…and in that time I studied most of the gods of the east as well as the seven….marrying brother to sister may be uncommon but it hardly reaches the levels depravity that are often done in the name of religion…followers of the Black Goat of Qohor often sacrifice their own children in times of peril while servants of the Dothraki are killed when their Khal dies to serve him in the night lands…..your marriages are the least of it.’’ The man said.

‘’Why become a Septon if you do not fully believe in the gods.’’ Visenya asked with confusion.

‘’Because I recognize the power and the role of the faith….many times we have stopped conflicts between Kingdoms before your brothers landing, and just as the Crown has a duty to the realm and the faith so too does the faith…It is true I could refuse to marry your children, most of my fellow septons would advocate for it….but doing so would send a message that the faith does not recognize your family as our lawful rulers…and so civil war and the end of the peace your family has brought Westeros…..a state I find rather unpleasant.’’

‘’So instead of all that, I will marry your children…my Warriors Sons will turn their noses and my Septons will whisper…but the faith and the crown shall keep the peace….as one and as is our duty.’’ The High Septon finished.

‘’You have my thanks.’’ Visenya said, scarcely believing her luck, she had expected a long drawn out negotiation.

‘’One final thing…this all seems a bit sudden, and you made no mention of this before….why so eager to marry your children.’’ The High Septon asked, studying her face.

Visenya was silent at that

‘’Ah I see….well he would hardly be the first King…I shall make preparations my Queen.’’ The High Septon said with a nod.

One week later, Nyel and Vaemond were wed in the starry sept, there were whispers of scandal and blasphemy and as the High Septon predicted the Warriors Sons turned their noses at the affair and the Septons looked on disdainfully,, but the peace held.

1