Arc I – Chapter 1 – Life
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arc I

Cause

Chapter 1

Life

 

A small peaceful village «Oust» under a Baron House’s governance at the southernmost of «Drai Kingdom». It is a village of farmers with forest nearby which serves as the border of the «Elf» and «Beastkin».

 

Year 980, 3rd Month, 10th Day, Night

It is a cold night, colder than usual where you can see your breath as you breathe under the blue moonlight.

There is a house which light is still lit whereas, the other houses are as dark as the surroundings peaceful silent night lit only by the moonlight. The house is surrounded by numerous adult villagers with torches in hand.

A man of brown skin and medium short brown hair seems to be the owner of the lit house speaks in front of the villagers.

[Yeah, it seems today is the day, Elder.] (Owner)

[I see. Then, some of the women should go back to their houses to prepare and gather back here again as quickly as possible. The men should help those are not able to prepare themselves.] (Elder)

[Then, I shall take the lead of the procedure and guide the women of what is needed here.] (???)

An old woman says as she looks at the Elder.

[Yeah, I leave it to you.] (Elder)

[Please, let me help your wife during the procedure, Elder.] (???)

A young slender woman of dark brown long hair which is typical of this country offer her help with serious look in her eyes.

[Are you sure? It will be quite tiring, especially under this weather and time.] (Elder’s Wife)

[That’s right, you have just gone through the same procedure just a few days ago, you can just help prepare the procedure, though I suggest that you just rest.] (Big Burly Man)

A big burly man of brown skin, brown short hair and rough face objects with deep stern yet worrying voice.

[Dear…] (Chief’s Wife)

[I agree with the Chief, you need to rest. You don’t even need to bother with preparation, I am sure she is happy just for the thought of it, and I am sure the others will understand, too.] (Owner)

[Yeah, just leave it to us. We will make sure it goes without a hitch. Isn’t that right, you guys?] (???)

A tall slender light color woman with medium length reddish brown hair agrees as she shows and slap her slender muscles to convince the young woman.

[Yeah!] (Villagers)

[I guess, that’s enough talking, begin the preparation now. You better leave your daughter to Chief’s wife for now.] (Chief)

[Okay.] (Owner)

The once silent and peaceful night of the dark village is now replaced with torches light under the darkness and the hustle bustle of the villagers moving around carrying water, cloths to the house where the villagers once gathered.

[It seems the preparation for your wife giving birth is going smoothly.] (Elder)

[Yes, it’s thanks to you, Elder, and everyone in the village.] (Owner)

[Hahaha, it’s a joyous thing for the village, think nothing of it. It’s a good custom passed down from our ancestors in the past to everyone help each other especially when a woman is going to give birth.] (Elder)

[That’s right, that’s right. It’s definitely one of the best customs I have ever seen throughout my many journeys in this life of mine.] (???)

A really old grandpa with white long hairs and beards agrees while walking toward the house with a straight wooden cane and a hand on his back.

[I can’t agree more with what you said.] (???)

An old grandma of white hairs walking while carrying a wooden picnic basket alongside the old grandpa.

[Grandpa, Grandma.] (Owner)

[It’s quite rare for you guys to come all the way down here.] (Elder)

[Well, I heard a new life is going to be born soon, so I come here to give these for the mother.] (Grandma)

[These?] (Owner)

[Potions, made by the grandma herself. As a precaution, use it when needed.] (Grandpa)

[I… I can’t accept these. These are very expensive, I won’t be able to pay for them.] (Owner)

[It’s okay. It’s just as a precaution, you don’t need to pay them even if you use them all. I should do this at least for not being able to help with anything else.] (Grandma)

[Th… Thank you very much.] (Owner)

The Owner says as he bows his head to the Grandma.

[Don’t mind it. Nothing is more important than life, after all. Especially loved ones.] (Grandma)

Grandma says with a tinge of sadness in her eyes.

[That’s right. That’s why this custom is being passed down, after all. So, go take those to my wife inside, might as well see your wife before the procedure begins.] (Elder)

[Yeah, so go now. I will oversee the preparation out here for you with the Elder.] (Chief)

The Chief said with his burly muscled arms crossed.

[I got it. Thanks.] (Owner)

The Owner hurriedly moves to the inner of the house where his wife is at.

[I hope everything goes smoothly with the God and Goddesses’ blessing in this beautiful blue moonlight.] (Grandma)

Grandma prays as she looks and reach her hands towards the blueish moon.

*tap*

[Yeah, it sure is cold tonight. May the Gods, Goddesses and Spirits bless the mother and child.] (Grandpa)

*tap* *tap*

The Grandpa taps his cane with both hands as he prays with his eyes close.

[Those are quite strange prayers as always.] (Elder)

[Yeah, but prayers are still prayers. My child is born safely and my wife is very energetic not long after she gave birth which is quite a surprise.] (Chief)

[Hahaha, that’s absolutely right. It definitely a good thing with many different gods, goddesses and spirits gives their blessings. Let’s us pray too in our own way.] (Elder)

[I pray for the God of Sun, the Goddess of Moon and Stars to bless the mother and the life which is going to be born soon today.] (Elder and Chief)

The Elder and Chief both pray with their hand on their heart and eyes close.

[But, it’s still a mystery as how you guys who live at the outskirt of the village to notice what is happening in the village. Not to mention those expensive potions.] (Elder)

*nod* *nod* (Chief)

*smile*

[It’s the experiences which come with long life.] (Grandpa)

*smile* *nod* (Grandma)

 

A few moments later

*clap* *clap*

[All right, the preparation is now finished. The husband and the male wait outside, you may even go home if you are tired.] (Tall Woman)

[Ladies who still has stamina will help out with heating and changing water as well as cleaning.] (Elder Chief)

[I leave my wife in your care. Please give her a safe delivery.] (Owner)

The Owner bows his head to the Elder Chief and the women of the village.

*nod* (Elder Chief)

[Okay, everyone. Let’s pray and get the procedure begin.] (Tall Woman)

[Yeah!] (Villagers)

 

An hour later

*Awooooooo* *Awoooooooo* *Awoooooooo*

The blueish moon is at its highest point with snow starting to fall under the moonlight.

[It’s midnight.] (Grandpa)

[Snow has started to fall. It’s going to get colder tonight.] (Grandma)

(…) (Elder, Chief, Owner, Male Villagers)

*cry* *cry* cry* *cry*

The sound of a baby can be heard from inside the house echoing to the surrounding.

[I… It’s born. My baby is born.] (Owner)

*tap* *tap* *tap* *tap*

Loud footsteps can be heard from the inside.

[Oi! You should head inside now.] (Tall Woman)

[W… What has…] (Owner)

The Tall Woman rushed and grab the Owner by the hand and drag him inside with amazing force before he can finish his words.

[Oi… W… What is happening?] (Male Villager A)

[D… Don’t tell me…] (Woman Villager A)

The tension in the vicinity just increased as the anxiousness of what may happen written on the villager as they question the Elder and Chief.

[Just calm down. Please refrain from any assumption. I and the old ones will head inside now.] (Elder)

The Elder states to calm the villagers down.

[I will leave them to you, Chief] (Elder)

[Yeah.] (Chief)

The Elder and the Grands head inside the house as the vicinity grow noisy.

[Quiet down! Let’s not disturb those inside the house.] (Chief)

 

Inside the house.

The Owner dragged by the Tall Woman to the second floor of the house where his wife is.

*bang*

The door slammed open

[I… I have brought him!] (Tall Woman)

*whack*

[Quiet down! What are you gonna do if you shock the baby!] (Elder Chief)

The tall woman’s face was hit by a curled up wet cloth.

*hah* *hah* *hah*

[Wh… What… What happe… ned?] (Owner)

The Owner gasping for breath try to ask what is happening.

[Nothing happen is what I am supposed to say but. You should see for yourself.] (Elder Chief)

The Elder Chief reply trying to explain but at a loss for word while taking care of the Owner’s wife’s private place.

[*hah* D… Dear… *hah*] (???)

What enter the Owner’s eyes is his wife lying in bed while carrying a baby in her arm breastfeeding the baby. His baby and his wife are the reason why he is still stunted, not knowing what happened in front of him.

[Dear… Come… It’s our child. A baby boy.] (Owner’s Wife)

The wife tells his husband to come and see his child amidst the busy women of the village cleaning the vicinity.

[What has happened? Why are you just standing there?] (Elder)

[Oh ya… oh ya, oh ya. This is certainly something.] (Grandpa)

[That’s right. But I will tear your eyes of your sockets if you stare too long, Gramps!] (Grandma)

[You too, Dear!] (Elder Chief)

The Elder and the Grands arrived a moments later.

[That… is… my son? And… What happened to you?] (Owner)

The Owner asked in disbelief.

[Yes. It’s our son. But what do you mean by what happened to me?] (Owner’s Wife)

[Why don’t you look at your hair.] (Grandma)

The wife looks at her own hair, surprised to see her own hair is now a blueish white.

[Now, to think I have the same hair color as our son. *smile*] (Owner’s Wife)

The wife says as she looks at her son and smile happily.

[Why are you not surprised? Even your own eyes are the same color as the baby.] (Owner)

The Owner asks her wife seems to be very calm to him despite the situation.

[Well, no matter what, he is our son, after all. I will accept him no matter what as a mother should do.] (Owner’s Wife)

*puah* (Baby)

[Ara, are you full already?] (Owner’s Wife)

The baby in the wife’s arm is a boy with blueish white hair, with bright red iris and light bright white skin.

[That’s… That’s right. I am sorry, I am just so surprised with what I see, not knowing what happened.] (Owner)

The owner agrees and apologies.

[Come, hold our son, Dear.] (Owner’s Wife)

The Owner walks towards his wife and son. He caresses his wife hair and face, kissing her head before holding his son in his own arm.

[O… Oh… I will never get used to having a newborn baby in my arm even though we already have a daughter before. This feeling… I am very happy.] (Owner)

[Right…] (Owner’s Wife)

[Yeah… Thank you for being so strong.] (Owner)

The Owner thanks his wife as they share a light kiss.

[Anyway, what is really happening to my son and wife, Elder?] (Owner)

Still holding his son, the Owner asked the Elder to know what is the cause of this irregularities.

[Hm… I don’t really know. I have never heard or seen it before.] (Elder)

The Elder seems to not know what is the cause.

[Ehem. Let us explain. However, I wish only the Elders and the parents to listen to this.] (Grandpa)

[I am very sorry, but this matter is better known only to a few people.] (Grandma)

The Grands state and request the other to leave the house.

[I understand. Please leave the house if you have finished helping and wait outside. Don’t say anything yet to the others except the baby and the mother is safe and healthy. Those who want to go home, may do so and call the night for today. I will explain it later in the morning.] (Elder)

The women of the village in the room and house all leave and wait outside after cleaning.

[You too.] (Elder Wife)

[Ehhh…] (Tall Woman)

The Tall Woman protests as she leaves the house.

As the room only have the Elders, the Grands and the parents left.

*clap*

[Now, how do we start it?] (Grandma)

*tap*

[It’s a difficult thing to explain, after all, we also don’t know much about it. Let’s just say it is what it is should be a good start, Grandma.] (Grandpa)

[That’s right.] (Grandma)

The Grandma agrees as she walk toward the baby in the Owner’s arm and pat the baby’s head.

[Simply said, this child is blessed.] (Grandma)

[Blessed?] (Elder)

[That’s right. Blessed. I am sure you have heard or maybe seen those with the blessing from Gods, Goddesses or sometimes Spirits, Elder.] (Grandma)

[Yeah, but I have not heard anything like this.] (Elder)

[That’s right, all I know, those which are blessed don’t change their appearances like what happened to this child, especially the mother as well.] (Elder’s Wife)

[That’s true, since blessing from the Gods or Goddesses aren’t that rare, Spirits might be a bit rare.] (Grandpa)

[That’s only true if we are talking about a person being blessed by one or two Gods or Goddesses, maybe Spirits.] (Grandma)

[However, this child is certainly blessed, I can assure you that. But not only by one or two Gods, Goddesses or Spirits.] (Grandpa)

*gulp* (Owner)

[Dear… Can I hold the baby?] (Owner’s Wife)

[Ah… Sure.] (Owner)

The Owner passes his son to his wife. His wife hugs their son in her arm, kiss his forehead and caressing his head.

[You can relax, it is not necessary a bad thing. It just a very rare occurrence.] (Grandma)

*nod* (Owner and Wife)

[I am sure that this child is blessed by more than 4 Gods, Goddesses or Spirits. The reason why I say that…] (Grandpa)

[It’s because his hair color is different from his parents.] (Grandma)

[…] (Elder)

[On what grounds can you be sure he has more than 4 just from his hair color change?] (Elder Wife)

The Elders asked for evidence from the Grands so what they said is not just any baseless assumptions.

[This is also the reason why I request the others to leave.] (Grandpa)

*nod* (Grandma)

Grandpa looks at Grandma, and Grandma nod in approval.

[This information is only known and proved not only by this kingdom but also other countries. And only known by the royal family, high ranking nobles, few selected vassals and servants.] (Grandpa)

[How do you know this information then?] (Elder)

[When I was young, I travel around this continent till I settle down in this village few years ago. In my journeys, I met and make connections with a lot of people from various backgrounds. That is all I can say.] (Grandpa)

[I see.] (Elder)

[Let’s continue. This child is definitely has more than 4 blessings as to the reason why. Grandma.] (Grandpa)

[A person with two or less blessings won’t have any change on him. A person with 3 blessings has a small stigma somewhere on his body. A person with 4 blessings will have either a larger stigma, partly different skin color or different eyes color.] (Grandma)

[As to this child, his hair color and eyes color are different, not to mention it affects his mother as well. He definitely has more than 4 blessings. I can’t say for certain how many blessings this child has exactly, since the countries can only determine the changes up to 4 blessings.] (Grandpa)

[I see.] (Elder)

The elder looks at the baby and get lost in thought staring at the baby.

[Well, that is all for now. I hope you guys can treat this child just as any normal child with or without blessing in this village, to prevent any problems in the future.] (Grandma)

[Not just the people in this room but the villagers as well, of course.] (Grandpa)

The Owner caresses the baby’s head and reply,

[Yes.] (Owner)

[I will prepare an adequate explanation to the villagers later, but may I tell the Chief what you just told me? Unfortunately, he is outside from the start, but he is still the Chief of the village.] (Elder)

[Yeah, as long as he can keep this secret.] (Grandma)

[Thank you.] (Elder)

*tap*

[Now, then, what will be the name of the baby?] (Grandpa)

*clap*

[That’s right, it is the most important after all.] (Grandma)

[So, what name will the parents give to this blessed child?] (Elder’s Wife)

[I am also thinking about that for a while now after hearing the Grands’ explanation.] (Elder)

The parents look at each other then look to the others.

[Actually, we have picked a name for the baby if it is a boy.] (Owner)

[Oh, let us hear it.] (Elder)

[But it is kind of unfitting for this baby right now.] (Owner’s Wife)

[What is it?] (Elder’s Wife)

[It’s Thale. Intended to have the meaning of noble natured.] (Owner)

[That’s why I hope if you have any idea for the name befitting this child.] (Owner’s Wife)

The parents look at the others in the room.

[D… Don’t look at me. I am not good at giving names.] (Grandma)

[Me too, don’t you agree, my wife?] (Elder)

[That’s right, but unfortunately, I can say the same about myself. The hurdle is too high this time.] (Elder Wife)

[Hohoho… How about I give the name for the baby?] (Grandpa)

Grandpa offer while caressing his long beard.

[R… Really? Please] (Owner’s Wife)

[Please.] (Owner)

[A… Are you sure about this, Grandpa?] (Grandma)

The parents ask excitedly while Grandma questions doubtfully.

[Yeah, I am sure. It is the best name, fitting for this child.] (Grandpa)

[If you say so. What is the name then?] (Grandma)

[Don’t be shocked. It is a name from one of the Eastern Countries sharing the border with the «Demon Territory».] (Grandpa)

*gulp* (Everyone)

[Is… it really, okay?] (Grandma)

[Just listen. The name is…] (Grandpa)

Everyone in the room eagerly waiting for Grandpa’s next word.

[It’s ⌜Ren⌟.] (Grandpa)

[By the way, what is the meaning of the name, Grandpa?] (Owner’s Wife)

[Lotus or Love, depends on how it is written. But I think having both meaning is the best.] (Grandpa)

[Heee… Unexpectedly, you can give a great name like that, Grandpa.] (Grandma)

*nod* *nod* (Everyone)

[What do you guys think of me all this time?] (Grandpa)

[Drunkard.] (Grandma)

[Suspicious Person.] (Elder)

[No comment.] (Elder Wife)

[No… comment, too.] (Parents)

*stab*

[You guys… are very cruel. I can feel my fragile heart broken to pieces.] (Grandpa)

[How is it?] (Elder)

The parents discuss for a while before deciding.

[My wife and I agree with the name ⌜Ren⌟.] (Owner)

[I see, I see, I am glad.] (Grandpa)

[Yeah, thank you so much.] (Owner’s Wife)

The wife says her thanks and looks at the baby hold her fingers while sleeping soundly.

[Your name is ⌜Ren⌟. Isn’t it a great name? It has both the meaning Lotus and Love, Mama hope you can grow strong, healthy and full of love, both given and received.] (Owner’s Wife)

[Yeah, Papa also hopes the same.] (Owner)

Both the parents look at their newborn son with eyes full of love.

[Now then, shall we call it a day and go back home?] (Elder)

[The mother needs to have her rest too.] (Elder’s Wife)

[Yeah, my old bones need its rest as well.] (Grandpa)

*clap*

[Now, we will take our leaves, see you tomorrow.] (Grandma)

[Yeah, be careful and thank you so much for your help today.] (Owner)

[From me as well, thank you.] (Owner’s Wife)

[Hahaha, don’t mention it.] (Elder’s Wife)

[Well, I have to go and tell the villagers who still present that everything is fine with minimum explanation and disband as well as telling the full story to the Chief later in the morning to have his cooperation in this case.] (Elder)

[Hohoho, hang in there, Elder.] (Grandpa)

 

And the story’s curtain rises for the beginning of a new era to take place. One of the main actors born today holding a name for lotus and love.

⌜Ren⌟

0