Chapter 43
248 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The group waited, and it didn’t take long for the gargoyles to return to the castle. Their large bodies sat perched back up on top of the castle entrance as they patiently awaited for the next intruders to arrive.

They made it back to the cave entrance. Using the same technique as before, they walked through the cave and entered back into the maze from the broken-down wall.

Alphonse's eyes looked around, looking for that beast man.

“Where do you think he disappeared to?” Tariq said as his eyes rested on the others. His hands were busy checking his bow string.

"In this maze? Who fucking knows?" Alphonse said.

“It’s a shame. I wanted to test his strength.” Markus cracked his neck–his bones were still stiff–having just recovered from the wounds he received from the gargoyle.

“Markus, I’m pretty sure he’d kill us in a second.” Oskar shook his head. He remembered the pressure they were under facing that beast like man. He knew exactly where he stood in the food chain compared to that beast.

“You could hardly manage the gargoyles, Markus.” Felecia shook her head. A mocking smile appeared on her weary face.

“Well, I'll never know if I don’t try.” Markus said as a bright fighting spirit flashed within his eyes.

“Ahh, how are you not dead yet…” Tariq shook his head. Dealing with a meathead is exhausting. The thought flashed through his mind as dull pain formed.

“Well, we have the genius healer, after all.” Markus chuckled as his eyes looked down at the small stature of the only healer in the group.

“Oh, is that praise I hear, Markus?” Felecia’s eyes opened wide as she held her palm against her mouth.

“Aye, don’t get used to it, little bird.” Markus flashed a toothy grin as the group continued to walk forward.

“I never thought we’d return to seeing these fucking walls so soon.” Tariq trailed his fingers along the rough wall.

“Better than facing those gargoyles, anyway.” Gabriel shook his head, replaying the fight from before. His magic felt useless against their high defence. Even his shield was pulverised with little resistance. His hands clenched into fists. He had been used to everyone calling him a genius wizard back at the academy. Now he was relegated to being the team's light source. His eyes scoured the small passageways, it made it impossible to use his spells within, in fear of blasting his team to bits. I feel fucking useless. Gabriel bit his lips at the thought.

"Oi wizard, what's with that look on your face? It's pissing me off." Tariq craned his neck towards Gabriel.

"What's my face got to do with you? If I was back home, you'd need to pay to see it." Gabriel turned his eyes away from Tariq, as if he wasn't worth looking at.

"Always known you were a pretentious fellow." Tariq shook his head. "Always so defensive. We ain't home anyway. The only thing here interested in your face are the monsters that crawl between these walls."

"Must be nice to be you Tariq. Monsters avoid you because they know you'll taste like shit." Gabriel said.

"Oh my, would your parents let you swear like that?" Tariq taunted.

"Guys, can you shut up already? My head is killing me with your yapping." Kristen glared at the duo.

The group ground to a halt.

“What’s going on?” Gabriel's whispered voice reached forwards.

Haydon and Alphonse stopped as their ears strained forwards. Alphonse could make out the barely audible footsteps, even with his enhanced hearing. Ahh, goblins. How familiar. Alphonse shook his head. It wasn’t the prey he wanted. He had already cooked them to where the points he received just weren’t worth it.

Alphonse whistled out loud. The group turned to him. “It’s just goblins.” Alphonse smiled as the group relaxed.

The goblins made their appearance. Without the use of their stealth and agility, they made easy opponents as long as you were careful. With a few mana imbued arrows, holes littered their bodies as they fell lifeless on the dusty floor beneath.

Alphonse crouched down–his cleaver chopped downwards–separating the goblin from its leg. He continued walking as he chomped down on the leg, his stomach wanting a quick snack before the main course, which he knew he would find soon. Given this maze was a death trap of monsters.

The others chased behind him. “Hey Alphonse don’t you need to cook and then eat it for your skill?” Felecia couldn't help but stare at Alphonse as he chomped down onto the leg as if it was a piece of corn on a cob. Goosebumps filled her arms. Her eyes drifted to the disgusting feet of the goblin as she tried to hold back her bile.

“I can't gain anymore stats from them. I need something else.” Alphonse tore a piece of flesh off as it slid down his throat. “Hey guys, what’s your stats? I want to know how close I am.” His eyes rested on Lucus especially, as he was the strongest within the group.

“67 dexterity, 59 strength.” Lucus said as Alphonse’s eyes almost popped out of his sockets. That was a lot to catch up with.

Although if I find Orog’s and cook them into recipes, my strength will soar way higher than that. Alphonse excitedly grinned at the thought.

The others also stated their stats. The only outliers were Felecia, Gabriel, Haydon, and Markus. Their stats were noticeably higher than John and Oskar, despite being in the same class.

They continued their way down the passageways as they hunted for a better food source.

***

Alphonse’s meat cleaver sunk into the throat of a raging Orog. His hand was on its enormous chest as ice spikes had grown from inside of the monster’s body and shot outwards. The hedgehog evolved. Orog’s blood-shot eyes turned dim as it looked around at the sight of its dead brethren.

“I don’t know if you can understand what I'm saying, but… I can’t wait to devour you and all of your pals. I wonder how many stats you can give me. Don’t feel bad… I’m doing you a favour. No longer will you be trapped within this prison.” Alphonse black shadowed teeth snapped forwards as the Orog’s brain suddenly became visible. Half its face was missing as the more squeamish of the group turned away in disgust at the sight.

Alphonse swept back his long hair. The blood that had covered his hands slicked it back like a gelatinous hair product.

“Well, Markus, how do you suppose we best cook it?” Alphonse smiled as he resisted the urge to lick his lips in anticipation.

“Ah, you crazy bastard,” Markus said as a wry smile appeared. “Well, we don’t exactly have many ingredients, so… probably just the same as before. How much do the points go up before they stop?”

“I’m not sure. It might be different for other things but for the goblins it stopped once I gained around 10 points I think it was.” Alphonse said as his bloodied hand touched his chin.

“Alright well, let’s get to cooking then.” Markus cracked his fingers as the aura of a chef emanated from his body.

***

[ Chef’s Kiss activated ]

[ Recipe: Marrow infused Orog leg]

[ Marrow infused Orog leg: Perfectly cooked rotisserie Orog leg infused with its own bone marrow. ]

[ Rating C+ ]

| 1.4 extra strength added

| 0.7 extra constitution added

[ +3 to strength and constitution for three hours. ]

Alphonse’s stomach was about to explode as it groaned in protest, begging for Alphonse to stop gorging himself. His eyes rested on the limbless Orog’s and lizardmen, as even they hadn’t been spared as the others brought back their bodies. With a thought, his stat page opened, as the numbers blessed his eyes.

Name Alphonse Khastal

Class: [ Unique ] Hunger

Traits:

Hunger,

[ Common ] Keen Smell,

[ Common ] Keen Hearing,

[ Legendary ] Chef’s Kiss,

[ Un-common ] Dark Vision,

[ Strong Back ]

Skills:

[ Epic ] Gourmet Extraction,

[ Rare ] Swallowing Bite,

[ Common ] Spectral Rage,

[ Rare ] Stomach Bile

[ Un-common ] Silent Steps

[ Epic ] Ice Arts


Attributes:

Strength: 88.7

Dexterity: 37.8

Constitution: 72.1

Intelligence: 15.6

Wisdom: 6.9

Charisma: 9.3

Alright now this is better. Alphonse felt the addicting strength run through his veins. Now all that’s left is Krayton. Alphonse thought as a wicked smile plastered his face. He waited until it was his watch for the night and left the group. He retraced his steps as he reached the tiled pitfall trap. Alphonse squatted down and then shot forward, his legs wrapped with muscle exploded forth, propelling him over the traps. Soon, the already rotting body of Krayton lay on the floor. He had pieces of his body missing. Alphonse wasn’t the only one thinking of eating the free meal.

Alphonse crouched down and yanked at his arm as he effortlessly tore it from his body. The voices inside his head were screaming. They wanted him to devour it. Alphonse’s teeth sunk into the arm’s flesh.

[ Krayton, Class A consumed ]

< Hunger is satisfied >

< Skill Extraction failed >

| 6.3 Strength added.

| 3.2 Dexterity added.

| 4.6 Constitution added.

| 3.4 Intelligence added.

| 1.8 Wisdom added.

| 2.4 Charisma added.

Ah, just my luck. I won’t be able to cook it either. Alphonse shook his head at the rotten flesh. He quickly made his way back to the group just as a message woke everyone from their slumber.

< Time remaining 14 days. >

“Ready, Alphonse?” Lucus said as his eyes lay on the quickly evolving young man in front of him. Strong, lean muscle filled every inch of his body; it looked like it had been compacted several times over.

“I am.” Alphonse’s confident words rang out as everyone got up onto their feet. It was time for round 2.

11