44. casual
30 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The class is shuffling around, loudly dragging chairs over into a circle around a pillar of connected mirrors that form more of an octagon rather than a proper cylinder. They'll be learning mirror runes and these mirrors have already been prepped to take that kind of magical strain. As it turns out, it’s not well known but still well researched on how to use mirrors as a communication device.

Stavros spent about ten minutes at the start of class trying not to scream with Nicholas while Rafael just thumped his forehead against the desk. They’ve spent an entire year now inventing a new way to talk to each other using paper and ink because phones don’t get reception in the citadel – but they could have just used mirrors this whole time.

When Rafael asked Luca about his mirror, Luca just shrugged and said Christos gave it to him so they all assumed it was the next version of their paper.

To be fair, communication is a niche subject because if a mage needs to talk to someone, they either port over in an instant, flick off any one of the many short-ranged message spells, or send a letter with carrier pigeons that can already go Mach 1 and are so good at tracking that people always complain about privacy issues.

So Stavros is already a little pissed off at this point.

Nicholas stands with his chair in hand next to Mariana’s seat, having gotten distracted halfway back to Stavros, chattering away with a big sunny smile on his face. Mariana says something with a wry smile and Nicholas laughs.

Stavros isn’t particularly happy about it. About any of this really, because it’s starting to sink in that this plan might work and Nicholas is going to get a girlfriend - who Nicholas is already calling a wife, talking about how happy his little family will be and conveniently forgetting his two best friends who Nicholas promised forever to.

“Drop it,” Rafael mutters quietly, unscrewing his water bottle. “You have no right.”

“As if you’re not making the same expression.”

Rafael scoffs and ignores Stavros in favour of taking a drink.

"Hey!" Stavros calls and gestures for Nicholas. "Come over."

Nicholas drops off his chair into an empty spot and walks around Rafael, raising a hand threateningly like he's going to slap the bottom of Rafael’s bottle and spill the water all over him. Rafael tries to kick him.

"Come on," Stavros says and pulls Nicholas onto his lap. "Look at the mirror so we can both see your face when you cum."

Rafael chokes and spits out a mouthful of water all over the floor. The class turns to stare because Stavros did not say that quietly, and Nicholas just starts screaming as he lurches forward.

Stavros gets dragged down too and barely catches himself with his hands planted on the floor next to Nicholas’ head, hovering over the hysterical boy who's curling into himself like that's going to stop anything at this point.

"Stop screaming," Stavros complains. "Wow, why are you acting hysterical, like you don't call me daddy in bed?"

Rafael wheezes. "Holy fuck, Stavros, shut up!"

"Did anyone hear that?" Nicholas wails, curling up on his side with his arms over his head. "Shit, I think Mariana heard that."

"Literally everyone heard that," Mariana confirms, not impressed. "And by the way, I did not consent to be a part of your sex scene or whatever."

"Neither did I!" Nicholas sobs.

"You're fine," Stavros scoffs and stands up, dragging Nicholas up too and sitting him in a chair.

Nicholas folds over with his head in his hands and just tries to breathe through the embarrassment. He’s actually laughing now because he always loves Stavros’ jokes.

"What is wrong with you these days?" Rafael mutters and vanishes all the spilled water with a frown. He also takes off his jumper and covers Nicholas’ head with it so he can suffer in peace without people staring. 

"So you fuck then?" asks a NatCom girl. "You're off the table for good?"

"Nah, I was just messing with him." Stavros shrugs it off instead of stepping up onto his chair and making a speech like he’s really, stupidly tempted to do.

"They definitely sleep together," retorts an InCore boy. "All three of them."

Stavros shows teeth, eyes narrowing. "Do we need to have another conversation about things happening in the dorm staying in the dorm?"

The other InCore looks away, jaw clenched.

"Literally just sleeping," Rafael says quickly. "I just want to clarify, only sleeping happens."

The door opens and the teacher drags in a rattling metal cart with the rune tools to use on mirrors. "Okay, so to start... Nicholas are you okay?"

Nicholas wheezes and then keeps cackling.

Stavros is content enough for now that he behaves for the rest of class. At least Nicholas will be thinking of something else instead of his date tonight.


Nicholas’ date with Mariana does not actually involve flying because she’s mildly afraid of heights and straddling a piece of wood ten metres in the air is not her idea of a fun time.

Instead, they wander down to the kitchens to order dinner and pack it all into a picnic basket so they can sit out by the lake. After eating most of their food, Nicholas is dumb and flings some Koshari into the water for a kappa lingering idly nearby. It calls a whole swarm of bukavac too so Nicholas and Mariana wisely retreat.

“Have you ever been to Egypt?” Nicholas asks, lightly swinging their arms together as they walk around the lake. Mariana’s hand in his is nice. He likes it.

“I’ve barely left Argentina,” Mariana admits. “The only time I ‘travel’ is on surface trips and that’s barely a few hours.”

“Would you want a home in Argentina?” Nicholas asks. “The rainbow mountains are cute but I can’t imagine living in the middle of nowhere would be as nice even if you learn to port.”

“I like the city but the economy is tanked,” Mariana dismisses. “I’ll leave as soon as I’m able to.”

“We could swap houses every few months if you want,” Nicholas offers. “My family has at least one in every country and you’ll get added to the wards automatically after we get married.”

Mariana comes to a stop with a bit of a laugh. “Nicholas, we’re not getting married.”

Nicholas blinks. “Oh, I mean not right now.”

“No, I mean I don’t even want to consider it before I’m thirty-something,” Mariana corrects. “It’s really sweet that you’re a family man but that’s because you can be. You have money and fame to back you up. Me? I want a career before I ever think about seriously dating someone.”

“That’s-“ devastating, he doesn’t say. “Okay. No, I get it.”

Mariana takes his other hand too, pulling him closer. “You’re funny and sweet -when you behave yourself- and I really do like talking to you. I love how hard you’re working towards being a doctor -sorry, healer- and the way you talk to your cousin is adorable. But Nicholas, I’m really not after anything serious. I’m sorry if I gave you the wrong impression but I just want to have fun with you for a bit because I like you.”

Nicholas is nodding slowly and his first thought is why they had Luca so young if Mariana doesn’t want to settle so soon - but that still took a really long time, didn’t it? Can Nicholas convince Mariana he’s the perfect husband so she’ll think about marrying him sooner?

But Mariana isn’t concerned about Nicholas being a husband, she said she wants a career. So should Nicholas get her a career? Mariana would be good in everything so she can pick and Nicholas will ask his parents for some contacts and she’ll ace the interview of course but that’s still a long time to graduation and then how settled does she need to be in a job?

“Nicky?” Mariana asks softly. “You look like you’re thinking pretty hard.”

“Just a bit taken aback,” Nicholas admits. “But you do want kids though?”

Mariana huffs out a laugh and starts walking again, towing Nicholas along behind her until he shakes himself out and catches up. “You can’t talk about kids on a first date with your first girlfriend. That’s not normal. I understand things went a bit differently with your boyfriends but, ah, you three are a little strange.”

“Boyfriends?”

“Stavros and Rafael.”

“They’re not my boyfriends,” Nicholas insists. “I know what everyone says but like genuinely, they’re not and they have never been.”

Mariana backs off easily. “I shouldn’t judge. You can be whatever you want to be. Just because you’re physically close, I made the assumption it wasn’t platonic. But what I mean is, you’re very lucky with what you have. The three of you trip over yourselves to help each other, and it gets a little too co-dependant sometimes but – anyway! I mean, Stavros hates kids but he’s always humouring you, even calling Luca his son too.”

“He doesn’t hate kids,” Nicholas says in surprise, catching on the instinctive need to defend Stavros from something he’s absolutely done before.

Mariana raises an eyebrow.

“The year-sevens are so small, so he grabs their heads to move them out of his way. He doesn’t actually hate them,” Nicholas tries to explain, flailing their combined hands together for emphasis.

“That’s considered bullying.”

“He’s very gentle with the heads!”

Mariana rolls her eyes. “Back on topic, are you okay with this being casual? I mean strictly monogamous of course and I don’t tolerate cheating but nothing set in stone. I don’t want you going into this like we’re going to get married because I know myself and I’d like us to break up when HSC exams come around; I’d need more time to study and I’d neglect our relationship, which you don’t deserve.”

Nicholas is genuinely trying to understand but it’s not making much sense. Is this common? Because Mariana is talking about it like it’s common. They’re out on the far side of the lake too so it’s not like someone is around to overhear and chime in with help. “Casual? But like still properly dating?”

“You’d still be my boyfriend,” Mariana reiterates, trying to explain better. “We’d go on dates and spend time with each other, the exact same as any couple. But we -us- as a couple wouldn’t be the first priority. If you want to break up for whatever reason -another person you want to be with or you want to focus on studies- then talk to me and we can go from there.”

“I’ve just never heard of…” Nicholas trails off. “My parents met later in life but they got married almost right away because they knew they were perfect for each other. Ross has messed around but he’s never dated before. Raffy hasn’t looked at anyone. Ever.”

“Those are all very intense relationships,” Mariana points out. She pauses. “I’d thought you’d want it casual with your…well how busy you get with Rafael and Stavros. It doesn’t seem like you have much time for anyone else. I know you got very focused on me recently but that won’t last, not with Stavros already doing things like today to warn me off. Even Rafael has been a little cold recently during joint study groups. He tries to be polite of course but he sits further away and doesn’t quite look at me anymore.”

“I haven’t noticed that,” Nicholas denies. “Ross is - Raffy is always kind to people though. Maybe he just had a headache from reading.”

“He’s nice at best,” Mariana admits. “But being nice is the minimum and Rafael is actually rather shut off around people. You wouldn’t notice because they’re both completely different around you. Talking to Stavros when it isn’t flirting is like throwing yourself at a cactus.”

Nicholas laughs at that. “He just has to warm up to you.”

Mariana only smiles gently. “You keep trying to change the topic. If you’re not okay with this, we can break up.”

“I don’t want to break up,” Nicholas says quickly.

“And I don’t want to talk about kids when I’m seventeen,” Mariana throws back. “Take a few days to think it over, okay? You can tell me later, it’s not a big deal.”

Nicholas kicks a rock as he goes past. Kind of hard to recover from that, but he doesn’t want to be stuck thinking about it instead of focusing on Mariana and their date. “Um, do you want to make a rowboat together and go out onto the lake?”

Mariana grins. “I’d love to!”

2