Stuff Happens
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    After Lapis' mom had taken her shell away, Lapis broke down. She clawed at her thighs more than she could remember doing for years. She was surprised she hadn't bled out or dehydrated, the bleeding combined with the dehydration from crying so much. She even could've died if she didn't bandage herself up. Well, not exactly bandaged, but she had some towels she wrapped around her thighs to keep herself from bleeding to death. She was quite woozy the next day. and Ammolite noticed. She was concerned for her anyways, given she never texted the air Dranda back, but it was at 3 AM so she assumed Lapis was sleeping. She tried to push back the thought that Lapis had commit.

    "Lapis, I need to know what's wrong," Ammolite told her at lunch.

    "'m fine..." The water Dranda mumbled, drowsily staring down at the table, ignoring her food. She was too tired to eat or drink, or even function, really.

    "Lapis, you're not," Cuprite said sternly.

    "What would you know about a water elemental's health?" Lapis growled softly. Cuprite looked hurt for a moment, before she was angry. Well, annoyed is a more accurate term.

    "This isn't the place for that."

    "Lapis please tell us what's wrong," Peridot pleaded.

    "My stupid piece of shit mom took away my shell last night, so I-" She stopped talking dead in her tracks, looking over at Ammolite like a deer in headlights.

    "Do they know?" She asked.

    "I didn't tell them yet..." Ammolite said.

    "I self-harm. And if any of you tell anyone else, it will go farther than that." Peridot, who was entirely unfamiliar with the concept of self-harming, asked,

    "Why?"

    "Peridot, don't push her," Cuprite said, unaware of her ignorance.

    "No, I don't understand. Why would anyone do that?"

    "You seriously don't know what self-harm is?" Lapis practically spat at her.

    "I know what it is! I just don't understand why you do it! How does it help? I genuinely want to know!"

    "I'll tell you later, Dot," Cuprite said. Peridot grumbled something under her un-needed breath, but didn't say anything else out loud.

    There was silence for a while, but Ammolite interrupted it with a question,

    "Lapis, were you told when you'd get your shell back?"

    "I don't know. I usually steal it back after she's forgotten she's taken it," She answered tiredly.

    "How long does that usually take?" Cuprite asked.

    "... Two... Two, three weeks?"

    "I don't think you're gonna be safe that long, Lapis, I really don't," Ammolite gently grabbed her paw.

    "I probably won't... I'm starting to think that if I go home just to make dinner then leave after I finish all my chores she'd never notice." 

    "Probably not. All you are to her is a slave." Peridot commented. Lapis shivered. They used to have slaves in Aquarip, primarily to assist in building the Dome. The Dome is, well, a glass dome, that goes around Aquarip. It's full of air, and an aquatrain can be taken to various stations inside it. The slaves were usually from smaller areas of the ocean, 'imported' from all over Zanzus' oceans. Luckily, having slaves is only on Dritura, and even there, they have free will. They just do farm/mining work in exchange for shelter, food, etc. because building your own home on Falecea is very difficult, due to the desert conditions.

    "Yeah..." She said quietly.

    "Sh-should I contact my mom's police friend?" Ammolite asked gently.

    "No, no, not yet..." Lapis said quietly.

    "Alright..." Ammolite murmured.

    Nothing else interesting happened for the rest of the school day.

    However, after classes ended, Ammolite got a text from Lapis.

    If you can, call your mom. Tell her what's happening.

    Oh fuck, what's she done now?

    I'll talk later. Just call your mom.

    Lapis are you okay?

    And then there were no more texts from her.

    So Ammolite did as she was told. She called her mom, and their conversation went like this.

    "Mom? You know Lapis, right?"

    "Your new school friend?" Sapphire asked.

    "Yeah... Her mom is abusive. I was hoping you could get your police friend to investigate her."

    "Well... I'll see what I can do, okay sweetie? I don't think she's too busy right now, but I'm not sure." Sapphire answered.

    "Thank you, mom. I love you...!"

    "I love you too, sweetheart. What's Lapis' address again?"

    Ammolite gave her her address, before her mom hung up to call the sheriff, Skylar.

    Hours later, a police car pulled up to Ammolite's driveway, and there was a knock on the door. Ammolite rushed over to answer it to find Skylar and Skylar alone in uniform.

    "H-hello?" Ammolite stuttered slightly, looking up at her. Skylar was huge, towering at 7' 6" with purple fur and black horns.

    "Ammolite, you're gonna need to come with me. Your mom is at work and can't get you, but you're needed."

    Ammolite knew better than to ask questions, she just followed Skylar to her cruiser.

    Ten minutes later they were at the hospital and Ammolite feared the worst. Skylar hadn't talked during the entire ride and Ammolite was too scared to try to make small talk. Despite her friendliness and good-nature, the police gave her intense anxiety. She was always afraid of being framed for a crime she didn't commit or accidentally committing one. She'd accidentally shop-lifted before. It was a candy bar, but she had it in her pocket when she left and by the time she realized she had it she took it back crying because she felt bad.

    But they were at the hospital now, and Ammolite was practically shaking as they pulled up. Skylar decided that now was a good time for them to play catch up.

    "Your friend and her mother are here. Apatite, who I'm sure you can guess is Lapis' mom, tried to attack one of the officers and we found Lapis. She's unconscious now, but Apatite has been detained and taken in for questioning."

    She was led inside to a room. It was quite small, painted white with one of those hospital beds and other medical equipment. Lapis was asleep in said bed, but she was hooked up to some of the equipment.

    "We found her and this letter. It was addressed to you." Skylar handed her a letter with her name on it.

    "W-wait, is she--"

    "No, no, she's not dead. But if we had gotten there any later than we did she likely would be." 

    Ammolite choked a bit, but managed to keep herself composed.

    "I'll... Leave you two alone." She said, exiting the room and closing the door behind her. Ammolite nervously went up to the sleeping Elemental. She seemed at peace, strangely enough.

    "Lapis...?"

    "Ammolite...?" She whispered hoarsely. 

    "Y-yeah, yeah it's me... Did you...?"

    "No... My mom..." Her voice cracked at the end, tears starting to build and flow.

    "Oh, Lapis..." Ammolite gently grabbed her paw, putting one under and one on top, squeezing it gently.

    "She tried to kill you?" Ammolite asked softly. Lapis nodded,

    "Sh-she wanted to... I told her I called the police and that they were on their way... That was a mistake... I-I told her I was tired of her bullshit and then she slapped me, th-then she pushed me on the ground... She started kicking me... I don't remember anything after that..."

    Ammolite couldn't remember feeling anger in her bones before now. She'd never truly hated someone. All Elememtals had some good in them, they could be redeemed, but Apatite? No. She wasn't even worthy of the title Elemental. She deserved to burn, to feel the same pain Lapis felt constantly and more for making her feel that way.

    Ammolite clenched her fist, shaking with anger.

    "It's gonna be okay Lapis..." She said in more a low growl than a comforting tone, "I won't let her hurt you anymore..."

    "Okay..." Lapis said. She could sense Ammolite's anger and she didn't like it. She was nervous. Ammolite could, in turn, sense Lapis' discomfort and gently took her paw again.

    "I'm sorry, Lapis. She won't hurt you again, and I won't ever, I promise. I love you, okay?"

    Lapis almost broke into sobs there. She'd imagined having someone to say that to her before, but she'd never actually heard the words directed at her, that she could remember.

    "I-I love you too, Ammolite..." She said softly, tears trickling down her cheeks again. Ammolite hugged her close, kissing her cheek softly. Lapis tensed at the contact, but relaxed quickly under Ammolite's soft, feathery touch.

    They stayed like that for quite a while, waiting for Sapphire to get off work.

 

0