04
57 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Was it naive of me to expect a soft landing? All I had seen so far looked kind of spongy so I expected the green floor to just act as some marshy, waterlogged earth would, and absorb the impact of my fall. Maybe it even would have if someone was not in my way.

My cushion was all bony and slight and definitely human. He or she struggled from under me while I frantically looked for the gap I fell through, to see if the metal thing followed. All I saw was the usual misty walls and green shapes so I turned towards the bald boy I fell on. He was going to have some radiant bruises. I was not a small man and he took the brunt of my weight. I'd have been more concerned about broken bones or other injuries but I've been deprived of human contact for an entire week and at that moment all I could do was hug the kid to convince myself he was real.

"Hey, hey! Get off!" the boy chirped, slipped away from me and ran a few feet away. He turned his body just so and rubbed his left arm. He must have been in pain and embarrassed to be naked. He did a good job of avoiding my eyes. I'd have loved to have some covering to offer him at that moment; he looked too small.

"Hello there." The boy glanced my way but said nothing.

"I'm very sorry for falling on you." he looked away but still said nothing. I sighed and turned my body away from him as well. Maybe he was more embarrassed for me. "Is your arm alright, kid?"

"Mmh... ‘t hurts but not a lot" he mumbled. He finally took a good look at my face. I gave him a grin.

"You know, I was in a plane crash a few days ago, I bet I know how much it sucks to have something massive land on you. Mind you, I was wearing my seatbelt so I might be better off than you are." I could almost see him smirk at that.

"Do you know where we are?"

He shrugged. "Secret underground facility? I've only seen monsters and bald people so maybe we're on another planet?" I liked the variety but the lilt at the end sounded like he thought I'd know more than he did.

"You've seen those things too?" I hurried to ask. "More people like us?" I took a few quick steps towards him but he flinched away.

"Can we go to them?" I whispered it softly. Hell, I thought I'd spook the boy and he'd take off without me.

"I'll take you," he said, shying away slowly before taking off at a brisk pace.

"Thanks, kid. The crash... and now all of this weird shit, I think I'm going a little crazy, you know?" I walked up to his side but made sure not to crowd him. "By the by, I'm Haru.

What do I call you anyway?" I asked and smiled. "Besides kid?"

He looked up at me and frowned. "I'm Fred and I'm 16 already."

I chuckled and almost slapped him on the back. His head just topped my elbow and he looked underfed for his age. Me and Fred the 16-year-old, up against the... The what? I seriously hoped the others knew more about this place. The kid sure wasn't talkative.

0