17 Beneath the river
149 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Di…. He…'

'Di…. He…'

Climbing onto the bed, I tried to sleep. I was happy to have a roof above my head even when I was homeless. And even happier to sleep in a safe location. I don't have to worry about a fire or demon attack in this house.

Yet, when I tried to sleep. A voice kept me awake. It was a voice that only I could hear. But my memory didn't fail me.

Even when the words were incomprehensible, I could understand what the voice was saying. No, it was not a ceremonial chant or a song about love. It was more like a string of words connected to form a perfect curse.

Unlike his servile attitude before, the cyan ball was cursing me again. The reason was apparent. I broke the promise to release him as soon as he gave me enough information.

As if I could ever break him free.

Never had I ever interacted with anything magical before. For me, the soul was something magical, something unheard of till now. Yet, he expects me to control it and release a flaming ball of Cyan plasma from my soul.

How gullible the Cyan ball was to believe in my promise. If I had known a way to free him, even then, I would not have set him free. I do not want a flaming ball of fire causing wreckage across this world.

Trying to ignore the cursing Cyan ball. I stood up from the bed.

I don't think I will be able to sleep.

—-------------------

"Beep… Beep…" The alarm beeped next to me. As usual, I smacked it to stop.

If I was on my planet, It would have stopped then and there. But for better or worse, I had a girlfriend that was worse than the alarm. Even in this ambiguous state of our relationship. She had no trouble walking into my room and waking me up.

Pulling the sheets covering me, she glared.

"Why so serious?" I asked.

"Do you want a beating?" She replied.

The more time I spent with Emily, the more I could understand her. The kind lady that I once saw was turning into an illusion. When I was injured, she treated me like a king. But now, she was looking at me differently. And I could not pinpoint the reason.

Does her home boost her confidence?

After all, she had enough leverage around her home to toy with me. At the same time, she never offended me in any way. Other than the quirky jokes here and there. She was very caring.

Whenever I saw her. All I could think about was, how long will this ambiguous relationship last. In the worst case, my hope is until we solve the blood river incident.

"You need to go to work today. Get up fast and have breakfast." Emily chimed.

"Work, a sad reality!" It was work that I could not avoid. Thomas has been waiting for additional info all this while and I need to reciprocate his enthusiasm with something meaningful. So much to do, so little time too.

Shame on me for transmigrating to a tragedy called Outerworlds.

—----END of POV-------------------

Nova city, Azha river bank.

Alex was meeting Thomas there. The office was too crowded to discuss the plans. So, after registering for active duty, Alex and Thomas went to the river bank. Their team had a total of three members, yet only two of them were there conversing.

And the reason for excluding the other members was simple. The third member was a less experienced recruit. So, Alex wanted to eliminate all uncontrollable factors from the picture.

"Now that we are here, let's talk," Thomas said while exhaling deeply.

"Before that, let's switch off our phone and leave it here. We can talk from outside." Alex suggested like a paranoid person.

"This is getting on my nerves. Okay! Let's leave our phones here. Get out!"

Standing beside the banks of the river, Alex imagined the future. The gruesome imagery described in the novel was giving chills to him. Just imagining the river turning red and the torn body parts floating inside it was nauseating.

Unlike the deformed demon seen attacking Alex's home. All demons are not mindless monsters.

Some people synchronised perfectly with demonic blood. It was impossible to distinguish between a demon like that and a human unless you do a DNA analysis or if the demon wanted to show itself.

In their demonic form, their muscles enlarge and turn purplish red. This form enhances their strength, defence and regenerative capabilities. It was also the reason why many people who are radicalised by demonic cults become demons.

Imagine an old person who was dying or an injured man at death's door. If they are given a chance to live longer, get better or even get younger. Would they choose it or not? That was the same reasoning that led many to the demonic cult.

Even then, not all people who are injected with demonic blood can transform into a demon. The compatibility and their overall strength was major factor that determined if they could transform or not.

It was a gamble at best.

But not many people realise the weight of their decision. With this added strength comes some nasty side effects too.

And one of them is absolute dominance.

The ability of a higher grade or a higher ranked demon to completely gain the compliance of the weaker demons. A fearsome ability in the wrong hands.

And as you have expected. Demons use this ability to control their species into absolute obedience.

Demons are a species of conquerors. They capture and rule over others and use them for their own needs. It was always like that.

Wherever they conquer new land. They assimilate the natives to do their bidding. At the same time evolve using their DNA to become better. It was a form of biological enhancement to always stay on top.

The final goal of demons always remains the same throughout the novel 'Outerworlds'. It was to assimilate all life and become the best life form ever. A radical thought that is driven by a group of mad life forms.

And now on earth. Humans have already become a part of their plan from the moment the first human became a demon. The birth of the Human clan among demons was already over.

And now, the people of this clan. People who were once human and now think they are superior are trying to change all humans on earth into demons.

A crazy bunch.

And their leader, the king of the human clan, incited the blood river incident. In the name of evolving humanity and a better future. He was ready to sow seeds of chaos and show the world they are still alive and well.

After the first demonic war, He was ready to lead a revolution again.

—---POV Alex—--------

"Do you have any memory of the Demonic war?" I asked Thomas.

As an older person, he might have seen everything for what they are. The description in the books was vague at times. It was not enough to dig deeper and find the details.

"Of course, thirty years is not long enough to forget that. A mad man who wished to change the world, a self-proclaimed hero, and saviour of humanity. And it was all that it took to shake up the world. One of the largest catastrophes in human history. How can I forget that? It took everything from me." Thomas said with a fiery glare.

Unknowingly, I have touched upon his agonising past.

"If I said there are people who want to recreate that in Nova city. Would you believe me?" My words were heavy and the effect created was even heavier.

With bloodshot eyes, Thomas turned toward me and glared. This was a complete one-eighty degrees turn from his mild and jovial nature. If glares could kill, I would have died a hundred times.

"Choose your next words carefully." The chilling voice of Thomas grounded me in reality.

I really felt that I would die the next moment if I said something stupid. This was serious and he was extremely clear about that. My heartbeat increased and my cyan heart pumped more energy throughout my body calming me down.

'Di… head…' The almost inaudible voice of cyan ball actually made me calm down.

"I have proof and it is below this river," I replied.

 

Read up to chapter 29 on webnovel.com

https://www.webnovel.com/book/novel-transmigration-a-side-character's-fight-for-survival_23158022606409305

6