Book I : Chapter 3 – Unsolved Problems
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So you're saying this is the best sword you have for my fit."

"Yes. Definitely. Considering young master seems to be from a well to do family, I think it's the best one."

I was currently in the negotiating phase with a weapon seller inside a weapon shop in the main merchant area of the Imperial Capital. His shop seemed okay and good enough as per what Mr. Milont said about the way a good weapon shop should look like (considering he thought I was interested in setting up a weapon business).

"Isn't the sword there the more durable one than the one you've shown me? I can see it just there hanging on the wall on the farther side."

"Oh? Haha, young master, that's for the burly muscle type people. I think for such a refined type such as young master, I think the one I've just showed you is already perfect. It's very sharp, strong, light..."

"Please show me that one."

"...Hmm? Okay, as you wish young master. Well young master's height is above average so I guess it'll be fine."

The weapon seller brought the 3 and a half feet long longsword that I was eyeing all this time in front of me. It had a thick blade, a decent edge for a blade that was sharp enough and looked highly durable, unlike the thin and sharp one that the shopkeeper was trying to sell. I guess this should be fine. I will consider it to be my workout partner. I'm already 6 ft in height, so using it shouldn't take that much time to get used to.

***********

In a certain town...

Two shadows were running along the alleys, one chasing the other. The one running ahead had blood running down through his cheeks as he frantically moved, throwing and toppling random garbage cans on the alley streets in a desperate attempt to slow down his pursuer. He thought his mission was simple. Spying, and killing a random few people of a dojo in a remote town and be done with. His mission was to create terror and uneasiness such that the people would get fearful enough to stop going to that institution. He didn't expect to be pursued instead so frantically.  Wasn't this but a simple dojo and he a member of the Imperial Capital's Assassin Guild? So how did such a situation come about.

"I think you should give up. You should be feeling tired already, right?"

Another thing about this darn pursuer was that he wasn't slowing down even a little bit. Was he even beasthuman?

"Hmm... I'm now getting bored. It was fun until it lasted, bye bye."

What was he talking about? As soon as that thought crossed the man's mind, he felt a sting in the back of his neck. Even before he could contemplate what that sting was about, his mind went blank and darkness consumed his consciousness.

"Really. Was looking for a fight. Didn't know the Assassin's guild were bunch of slippery rats. Let's have master interrogate him."

The pursuer, who was a tall pink haired man with orange eyes and two silver colored L-shaped horns of different sizes, picked up the assassin by the back collar, stuffed him inside a huge bag with three small holes for ventilation (prepared beforehand for the very same purpose), and carried it while running through the alleys towards the direction of the dojo.

***********

"So does young master have the required document?"

"How about this?"

I took out a stamp and a sheet of document that served as the identity proof of a member of Platinum household. I got my identity sheet from when I turned 18, and the stamp after "borrowing without asking" from my father's office. The stamp was a spare which should come in handy like now rather than gathering dust in my father's office. Sorry father. If only this empire didn't have this stupid law of requiring a "state supported identity" to buy a simple sword. Due to this only the elite families (which my family was one), the Imperial Army, and the members of the Royal Family were the ones whose identities fell under the "state supported category", except the mafia gangs, that had access to weapons through the black market. Thus the guards such as Mr. Milont could only have weapons as long as they served an elite family like ours, joined the Imperial army, or went rogue and joined the one of those Mafia gangs. Poor law abiding citizens.

"Let's see.... the Platinum Family! Definitely. It's all good. Young master just has to pay 30 Tir and stamp on the transaction slip."

The weapon seller took out a piece of document, which was the transaction slip. I did what he said, paid the required sum (5 Tir = 1 gold coin), and had my sword packed in its suitable sheath that had a leather strap. The sheath came in combination with the sword so it was 30 Tir for the both.

You ask me why I didn't bargain? Well bargaining is customary when making business deals as big merchants but somehow a big no-no when you're a normal citizen buying goods in market place. At least in this empire. Little strange if you ask me.

"Have a nice day young master. Thanks for buying from this place. We always sell the highest quality goods...."

"Sure sure I know. Though you did have a good sword."

"Of course we always..."

"I know."

Since I didn't want to hear anymore of his sales pitch I quickly left the place. Hmm... so what to do now? The greatest problem still remains unsolved. I don't know how to use a sword! I can't ask around in the family for obvious reasons, since it's the job of the guards and there is no reason for me to learn it at this age. Well at least that is what my family would say. Also how do I carry around this large sword without the people noticing, since normal citizens aren't allowed to do that (as they don't have a state supported identification document. Normal citizens are instead provided with an empire's metal token for proof of citizenship. Though that wouldn't get them a sword or a weapon of any manner except a knife and an axe). I wouldn't want rumors about me carrying a sword reaching my family's ears. The weapon seller won't go out of his way to contact my father since he has no reason to do so. The only problem is the rumors, and carrying my sword to home will generate that. Let's see...

0