130. Supreme Pontiff Succession – Part 1
20 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hu Liena's eyes narrowed. "I don't believe you're just here out of filial piety to Elder Ru Zuanshi. She, after all, betrayed Spirit Empire and withheld you from us."

"I really didn't lie before when I said I still see you as a mentor," Ru Shenqi said. "You did hunt me my third spirit ring, which has saved me and my friends on multiple occasions. I also gained the domineering Death God Domain, which is now replaced with my Realm of Sorrowful Souls, but was attainable thanks to you. I will preface with: I truly don't want to be here or be a member of Spirit Empire. But I will fulfill my mom's promise and be your Holy Maiden. I've already probably disappointed her enough. Plus, if you all die, who will inherit Spirit Empire?"

"You-!" Yan snapped.

Ru Shenqi shrugged. "Your choice, Your Majesty."

"Leave now, Ru Shenqi. Before we kill you."

The young woman smirked before quipping, "I'm afraid you can't kill the already dead."

She started to leave when the two members of the Golden Generation's eyes widened. "You're still dead?!"

Ru Shenqi had just pulled the tent flap open when she stopped and nodded. "I have no heartbeat. I'm nothing more than a ghost."

With that, she was gone. She shot back to the joint army's camp and found her Laoshi and Sect Leader in conversation with the other Shrek Devils. They turned around, slightly stunned.

"Xiao Shen? What are you doing back here?"

"I didn't succeed. Hu Liena told me to get out before she and Yan attacked. So, I did."

Xiao Wu walked over to her disciple and rested a hand on her shoulder. "It's alright. We tried. Now, we just need to come up with a different way to topple Spirit Empire once and for all."

Oscar's eyebrow twitched. "You went to go see Hu Liena and Yan?"

Just then, Tang San's gaze sharpened. "We have an intruder at the barrier."

Ru Shenqi summoned her Golden Scepter and created a water mirror. She frowned instantly upon seeing who it was. Tang San spread out his Blue Silver Majesty Domain to help combat the assailant.

Suddenly, the person stopped attacking and straightened, seemingly looking straight at the Shrek Devils and Little God. "Holy Maiden, if you promise not to hinder our plans, I will accept you back."

The Goddess of Souls turned to look at her Laoshi. "What do you think?"

Xiao Wu shook her head. "I don't know. This could be a trap for you. Ge, should we let her go?"

Tang San thought about it for a moment. Finally, he replied, "This could still be the best way to end the war. If we have someone on the inside, we can attack from all angles. No matter what Hu Liena does after this, it can't be much of a shock."

"I'll go."

"Stay safe, Xiao Shen. If it ends up being a trap, come back here in an instant."

"Yes, Laoshi."

Ru Shenqi shot towards the edge of the barrier. When she appeared, she found herself face-to-face with Hu Liena. Evenly, she greeted, "Your Majesty."

"Xiao Shen, are you really willing to forsake Heaven Dou Empire and be Spirit Empire's Holy Maiden?"

"I am. It was my Fate from birth. How can I avoid it forever when I never truly belonged to Heaven Dou Empire?"

Hu Liena sighed. "Very well. Come with me."

The two women headed deeper into the forest and returned to Spirit Empire's encampment. Yan came over to them and bowed slightly.

"Nana, Holy Maiden."

"Yan, where is my brother?"

"He's almost back from Spirit City."

"Alright. We'll wait for him before launching an attack on the two Empires."

"Mentor, what do you want me to do?" Ru Shenqi asked.

"Nothing for now. Go back and take a rest, Xiao Shen."

"Yes, Mentor."

<><><>

Back at the joint army's camp...

Gu Xingyun and the other Tyrants searched all over for their friend. When they couldn't find her, they sought out their Seniors. They entered the tent where the Shrek Seven Devils were talking with the Golden Iron Triangle.

"Seniors," Ming Yong began. "Do you know where Xiao Shen is?"

For Ru Shenqi's safety and to prevent their protestation, Tang San had decided upon not revealing their plan to the Tyrants. He had made the other Devils promise not to say anything either. So, he turned to them and lied.

"She said she had something to ask her predecessor, so she returned to the Douluo Divine Realm for a moment. I'm sure she'll be back soon."

The six Tyrants breathed a sigh of relief. "That's good. Maybe Xiao Shen will figure out how her parents died, too."

The older people remained silent. Although the Golden Iron Triangle knew Ru Shenqi was in Spirit Empire's camp, they also knew better than to say that. After the Tyrants had left the tent, Yu Xiaogang turned towards his Direct Disciple.

"Xiao San, do you think Xiao Shen will be okay?"

"Hu Liena welcomed her back herself. For now, we just have to hope the Golden Generation won't hurt her."

"Xiao Shen is a Quasi-God King," Dai Mubai frowned as he thought about it. "I doubt she'd switch sides, especially after learning about her family's true matters. But, who knows what those three will do."

"And when our Juniors learn of her return to being the Holy Maiden of Spirit Empire, will they think she betrayed us?" Zhu Zhuqing wondered.

"I don't think so," Flender countered as he pushed up his glasses. "They trust their Captain. But I do wonder how they'll react."

At that moment, Xue Beng entered with his uncle. "Laoshi, Grandmaster, what news is there?"

Tang San cleared his throat and explained the current situation. After he had finished, Xue Beng's eyebrows furrowed.

"Are you sure letting that Little God go back was the best choice?"

"It might not be the best. Sea Dragon Douluo and the Ocean spirit masters who came because of her will be thoroughly aggravated. But if she can work with us to ruin Spirit Empire from within, then it will be beneficial for us in the long run."

"Then, we just have to hope that Ru Shenqi's placement brings about the desired results," Xue Xing sighed.

<><><>

A few days later, Xie Yue returned to Spirit Empire's encampment. He met with Hu Liena and Yan, and the three discussed things privately.

"Nana, are you sure about this?" Xie Yue asked.

"I am."

"What good does it do us? She could do or say anything! No one would be able to control her at that point!" Yan cried in dismay. "I don't think it's a good idea at all."

"We couldn't monitor her well enough as Holy Maiden. She still managed to trick and betray us. But Ru Shenqi is the daughter of Elder Ru Zuanshi. Now that she knows the truth from back then, she has no choice but claim Spirit Empire as her home. As such, to make sure she can't defect again, she needs to be put in the highest position where her actions are watched by everyone. Only then, will she be forced to fight for us and not for Tang San."

Xie Yue took a deep breath as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "This is a dangerous choice."

"What if it backfires, Nana?" Yan wondered. "What then?"

"If we do this, the only one who can restrict her will be Spirit Empire's Head Flamen. Qian Daoliu and Qian Renxue are dead. There is no Seraphim to take over. So, I will. I will become Head Flamen. That way, if she does something out of line, I can justifiably punish her. Only in this way can we keep her in check. It's too dangerous to let her stay with the Shrek Seven Devils. She's too much of a wild card. Hence why I was willing to let her come back. We cannot let this Goddess of Souls destroy us."

Finally, the two people Hu Liena trusted the most in the world nodded. With their plan set in motion, they went in search of their Holy Maiden. Finally, the three found her playing a mournful tune on her flute.

"Holy Maiden."

Ru Shenqi stopped playing and looked up at them. "Mentor, Elder Xie Yue, Elder Yan, what is it?"

Hu Liena stepped forward and explained, "After much deliberation, we have decided to make some changes to the leadership in Spirit Empire."

The Little God's eyebrows furrowed. "I'm afraid I still don't understand. What do you mean?"

Xie Yue cleared his throat and reasoned, "Spirit Empire should be led by he strongest spirit master. Seeing as you are the only God and the strongest one of us, Nana, Yan, and I have decided to pass you the position of Supreme Pontiff."

Ru Shenqi's face changed in an instant as her stomach dropped. Supreme Pontiff? Already?

She chuckled nervously. "Mentor, you can't be serious. After my defection the last time, what makes you think anyone's going to trust me now?"

Yan lit with fire. "For anyone who dares to question our decision, we'll kill them. Disbelievers aren't needed in Spirit Empire?"

The Goddess of Souls' eyebrow twitched. She gave a wan smile before nodding slowly. "If Mentor and Elders insist, then how could I refuse?"

What trap am I falling into?

Hu Liena grinned, pleased. "We'll announce it soon. Stay here and wait for our orders."

"Yes, Mentor."

The Golden Generation left her tent. Alone, she wrung her hands nervously.

Sect Leader, Laoshi, what do I do now? Do I really become the Supreme Pontiff of Spirit Empire, hated by all from both Empires... and my friends and remaining family?

She swallowed nervously as a tear streaked down her cheek. Taking a deep breath, she stood and paced around the tent. Her heels padded tread marks all over. She bit her lip, debating whether to leave Spirit Empire's camp or not. In the end, sadness filled her eyes as she thought of her friends.

Will they think I've lied to them? That all of this was just a trick played by me and Spirit Empire? Will us Shrek Seven Tyrants be seven anymore?

"But for Douluo Continent, I must see this through and end this war once and for all. No matter how it happens, it must be done."

With her mind made up, she returned to her bed and sat down on it, closing her eyes. She began to cultivate the aura of death which honed the resentment of souls in her divine domain.

<><><>

After what seemed like an eternity, the Golden Generation finally returned to her tent. The moment they entered, all three felt the chilling aura of slaughter intent and death radiate.

"Ru Shenqi, come with us."

She opened her eyes and ended her cultivation. The air instantly warmed, and she stood. Ru Shenqi followed Hu Liena, Xie Yue, and Yan over to the center of the encampment. The other Elders and all of the Flamens eyed her warily. The seven clans knew they had no business in interfering with the Golden Generation's plans, so they remained silent. The soldiers awaited orders.

Hu Liena stepped forward, summoning the Supreme Pontiff crown and staff. "Everyone, Xie Yue, Yan, and I have an announcement to make."

All members of Spirit Empire instantly stood at attention. A bit of a ways away, a few scouts from the Speed Hall of Tang Sect watched quietly.

The Three-Tailed Charm Fox cleared her throat. "Spirit Empire was founded upon power and spirit masters. As such, the strongest of us should be the one to lead us. I will step down from the Supreme Pontiff position and take up being the Head Flamen of Spirit Empire."

Elders, Flamens, and spirit masters gasped. "Your Majesty! No!"

Xie Yue's Moon Blades spun out over the crowd. "Enough! It has already been decided. Her Majesty will succeed Qian Renxue as Head Flamen."

Hu Liena cleared her throat and added, "Our Holy Maiden will succeed me as Supreme Pontiff."

Ru Shenqi stepped forward and turned to face Hu Liena. She knelt down on both knees and bowed her head. "I will serve Spirit Empire and lead us to a victory. The Continent will be ours!"

Yan reached out and transferred the Supreme Pontiff crown from his beloved's head to the Little God's. Once crowned, Ru Shenqi stood. Hu Liena handed over the Supreme Pontiff staff. With the staff in hand and crown on her head, covering the Penta Divine Pearl Diadem, she turned to face the members of Spirit Empire.

"Wuhun Diguo, bisheng!"

Her proclamation echoed through the uneasy people. Seeing this turn of events, the Speed Hall disciples shot back to the joint army camp. They found Tang San who was with his friends.

"Sect Leader! Bad news!"

The Shrek Seven Devils frowned. Tang San asked, "What happened?"

Before they could reply, Bai Chenxiang appeared. "San Ge! Xiao Shen... she-"

"What is it, Xiangxiang?" Ma Hongjun asked.

Tears welled in Bai Chenxiang's eyes. "I'm afraid we've lost her for good this time."

Xiao Wu shot over. "What? What happened to my disciple?!"

With a quivering lip, the Needle-Tailed Swift reported, "The Golden Generation just crowned her Supreme Pontiff of Spirit Empire."

2