132. A Sudden Visit
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The troops of Spirit Empire returned to their camp four hours later. Hu Liena, Xie Yue, and Yan went in search of their Supreme Pontiff. They found her in her tent, once again cultivating the aura of death.

"Your Majesty."

She replied without opening her eyes, "You and I all know my position as Supreme Pontiff is just a joke. In privacy, just call me Xiao Shen or Ru Shenqi."

"You dare-!" Yan snapped. "Do you really have a death wish?!"

"I'm already dead, did you forget?" Finally, Ru Shenqi opened her eyes and ended her cultivation. She looked up at them. "You made me Supreme Pontiff to keep an eye on me and my movements. I'm not naïve like I used to be. I know when I'm being used like a puppet. I'm just letting you do it."

Xie Yue's eyes narrowed. One of his Moon Blades appeared at her delicate neck. Her gaze slipped to him.

"Elder Xie Yue, do you want to see if I bleed?"

"Ru Shenqi, don't be too much!"

Her eyes blazed. "Then you all shouldn't have made me Supreme Pontiff. If you don't like it, then sentence me to death."

Hu Liena held up a hand. "Stop, all of you. Xiao Shen is our Supreme Pontiff. As of right now, no matter how much she bickers with us, her actions today on the battlefield do not prove treasonous. The Elder Hall and other Flamens won't call for her execution unless she does something in the public eye."

The Goddess of Souls smirked. "Mentor is right. And I know how to play this game now. Don't worry, you won't see my treason on the battlefield. Even if my words and thoughts are, I will ensure that my actions aren't."

"You-!" the two men nearly lost it.

Hu Liena held them back while warning, "Xiao Shen, don't get cocky. Although we can't condemn you right now, don't think for a moment we'll let you ruin Spirit Empire."

Then, she dragged her brother and friend away before any more damage could be done. Ru Shenqi stood and teleported out of her tent, knowing the Golden Generation wouldn't be returning any time soon.

<><><>

In the joint army's camp, Xue Beng, the Star Luo Emperor, Xue Xing, Tang San, Xiao Wu, Yu Xiaogang, Ning Fengzhi, Chen Xin, Dai Mubai, and Zhu Zhuqing all sat at a round table in the largest meeting tent.

"That daughter of Ru Zuanshi is just as tricky as her mother!" the Star Luo Emperor snapped as he slammed a fist into the table.

"Father, let's listen to what Xiao San has to say. I don't think he'd be wrong in judging Xiao Shen's character."

"Your Majesty," Tang San cut in. "I sent Xiao Shen back to Spirit Empire."

"WHAT?!" cries of dismay rose up around the tent.

"She's there as an informant for us. I just didn't expect Hu Liena to make her Supreme Pontiff."

Yu Xiaogang sighed. "No one would've expected it. Especially since Xiao Shen already betrayed Spirit Empire once. Which means, the Golden Generation doesn't really believe she's back of her own will. They must be watching her."

"Laoshi," Xue Beng began. "Can we trust Xiao Shen won't take any drastic measures against us?"

Tang San sighed as he shrugged. "That, Your Majesty, I'm not sure of."

Just then, a lilting and captivating voice echoed in, "I can't promise anything. But just know that no matter what I say on the battlefield, my heart wants Spirit Empire rid from this Continent. My parents are dead because of their pursuit. I'm dead because of the Rakshasa God's threat. Plus, do you really think I want to be fighting my friends, family, Seniors, and teachers?"

Everyone whipped to the entrance where Ru Shenqi entered. Their eyes nearly bugged. She walked up to the table, still wearing the Supreme Pontiff crown and holding the Supreme Pontiff staff.

"Xiao Shen..."

"Laoshi, Sect Leader, Your Majesty, everyone."

Xiao Wu zipped over to her disciple. "What happened? Why are you the Supreme Pontiff?"

A coldness seeped into Ru Shenqi's eyes. "Hu Liena, Xie Yue, and Yan know full well that I have no desire to be Supreme Pontiff or even in Spirit Empire's clutches. I was given this position to be their puppet. They want me to slip up and commit treason in the public view so that the Elders and the Flamens can depose me and sentence me to death."

Tang San stood. "So they want you dead."

She nodded. "One wrong move, and I'll be condemned."

Xue Beng rose as well. "Xiao Shen, you're saying..."

"For now, I need to act like I'm on their side. I still haven't gained their trust again. I have the required respect given to the position but not the trust."

"And when you do?" Ning Fengzhi wondered.

Ru Shenqi smirked. "I'll commit treason."

"Xiao Shen!" Xiao Wu gasped.

"Don't worry, Laoshi. I'm a Ghost God, remember? What's dead cannot be killed again."

Yu Xiaogang cleared his throat. "Xiao Shen."

"Yes, Grandmaster?"

"Although it's hard for mortals to injure Gods, still be careful."

"Xiao Shen understands. Everyone, may Xiao Shen make a small request?"

"What do you need?" Xue Beng asked.

"Don't tell my friends that I came here today. As much as I don't want to lie to them, it's safer for them if they don't know my true purpose in Spirit Empire." Pain and sadness filled her eyes. "Just let them hate me for now."

Everyone present nodded, agreeing to her request. With that, she tipped her head in thanks before teleporting away. She reappeared in her tent and returned to her cultivation. But she didn't get to cultivate long.

About an hour later, seven figures burst into her tent unannounced, immediately sensing the cold aura of death. She looked up and stared at the seven Flamens of Spirit Empire.

"Can I help you, Flamens?" she asked, evenly.

The Sixth Flamen, Wen Qingti1温轻悐 - 轻 meaning "reckless/frivolous" and 悐 meaning "Respect/Regard", stepped forward as he wagged a finger at her. "Ru Shenqi, you may be the Supreme Pontiff for now, but if you even think of pulling a trick on the Golden Generation, don't think we won't depose you!"

She scoffed, coldly. "I don't want to be here. Mentor, Elder Xie Yue, and Elder Yan all know this. I'm only here right now because of the deal my mom made with Head Flamen back when I was born."

"You-!" Xiang Yuezu cried.

Their Supreme Pontiff raised an eyebrow at them. "What? Going to depose me now? Unfortunately, you need more witnesses. I stayed in Spirit Empire long enough the last time to learn your rules. You can only sentence me justifiably. Seeing as we're speaking in my private tent, there's no public animosity. I can't be sentenced."

All of the Flamens' eyebrows twitched. They hmphed and turned to go.

"Ru Shenqi, you better watch your back!"

Then, they left. She took a deep breath and waved her arm, summoning a ball of water. With it, she watched her friends converse.

Liao Suyin shook her head. "I don't believe Xiao Shen would willingly go back."

"I don't know why she did, but she did," Fang Youyou replied. "And even if she really was born to Spirit Empire, she grew up in Heaven Dou Empire. How could her allegiances really change like this?"

"I don't think they did," Gu Xingyun cut in. "For whatever reason, Xiao Shen returned to Hu Liena. We just have to trust her."

Oh, Xingyun, our connection really could be over this time.

Bai Shanxin frowned. "My older cousin, Xiangxiang, hasn't given any indication she knows anything. And Sect Leader told you, Xingyun, that Xiao Shen had gone back to the Douluo Divine Realm. The last thing I want to do is doubt her, but what if Xiao Shen lied to Sect Leader and Senior Xiao Wu?"

"No," Ming Yong vehemently denied. "It's not like Xiao Shen to do this. The last time, she had a reason which was to make sure Xingyun wasn't approached by the Rakshasa God again. This time, there's no reason for her to do it. So she must've been forced into doing this."

Ru Shenqi's hands clenched into fists as she watched her friends argue over her intentions. Finally, she couldn't stand it any longer and appeared before them.

In a regal tone, she said, "I went back to my Mentor. After all, I owe her for my third spirit ring and the Death God Domain. I also simply belong to Spirit Empire. How can I be unfilial when my mom promised me to Hu Liena?"

"Xiao Shen!" they all cried.

Shu Jiaxiang stepped forward. "No matter what you say, we won't believe you. We know you must be in Spirit Empire for a reason!"

Just then, the seven Flamens of Spirit Empire descended upon them. "Supreme Pontiff, you dare to so blatantly and publicly commit treason?!"

Her eyes flashed, and her aura of death surged. "Darkness clouds the sky. Misery clouds the mind. Realm of Sorrowful Souls!"

She instantly restricted the Flamens and turned around. "I'm not committing any treason. I've come to tell these Tyrants that I have no more association with them unless they wish to turn to Spirit Empire. You Seven Flamens of Elder Palace are going to have to find a different excuse to depose me."

"RU SHENQI!" they roared. "JUST YOU WAIT!"

She laughed evilly. "Oh, I will. I'll wait for the day this war comes to an end."

The seven balked. "TREASON!! Such treasonous words!!! Don't think we won't execute you!"

"As if you could," she scoffed. "But when were my words treasonous? I await the day this war end and Spirit Empire has won."

She immediately lifted her divine domain, and all of the Flamens cursed at her. Ru Shenqi rolled her eyes before shooting away.

The only thing left was her echoing words, "Shrek Six Tyrants, from this day forth, we'll have nothing to do with each other. When we meet again, it shall be on the battlefield."

1