72. Purple Pearl Island
174 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few days later, the Dragon Abyss Boat landed on Purple Pearl Island. The pirates came out and greeted them when they saw Ma Hongjun.

Purple Pearl approached them and asked, "Where's the Captain?"

Ma Hongjun shook his head. "San Ge couldn't make it. He sent me to see these youths to Haishen Island."

Ji Xiang bowed his head. "Will you tell Laoshi that I've reached the twenty third rank already? This disciple is very grateful for Laoshi 's generosity."

"San Ge will be pleased to hear it. Purple Pearl, you don't care if we stay here for a day or so to rest?"

She shook her head. "No, come follow me."

Leading them into the jungle-center of the island, the eccentric woman with electric purple hair, a pirate cape, and tricorn hat, dashed about. Ji Xiang, who wore plainer khaki pants and a cotton shirt, sighed and followed. Ma Hongjun followed in the rear, keeping the Shrek Seven Tyrants in front of him.

Every once in a while, Ji Xiang kept looking back at one figure in particular: Ru Shenqi.

She tilted her head as they were walking. "Excuse me, but do you have something to say?"

Caught, he blushed. "You just remind of someone I saw once. But only once. She is fearsome on the seas and the most powerful spirit master I've ever met."

Curious, Ru Shenqi asked, "Who is she?"

"Her name is Bo Saixi, and she's the Head Flamen of Haishen Island. She's also called the Sea God Douluo."

Ma Hongjun cleared his throat, "You haven't heard?"

"Heard what?" Purple Pearl's voice echoed from somewhere in front of them.

"Senior Bo Saixi is dead. She died so that San Ge could pass his Inheritance Trials and become the Sea God. Sea Dragon Douluo is the current head of Haishen Island."

Ji Xiang and Purple Pearl both stopped dead in their tracks. "The untouchable Sea God Douluo is dead?!"

Ma Hongjun nodded. "That's right."

Ji Xiang shuddered. "Senior Bo protected Haishen Island from Spirit Empire's invasion. I can't believe that she's... gone."

A strange yet reverent silence fell over them as they finished making their way to the center of the pirates' camp. The Shrek Seven Tyrants' eyes widened as they saw all of the ropes, boardwalks, and treehouses. Never before had they laid eyes on such a sight. Shirtless pirates were lugging crates to and from thatch-roofed huts. Others were tying off ropes and securing their treehouse suspension bridges up in the air. Seven pairs of jaws dropped.

Purple Pearl turned around and saw their dumbfounded expressions. She chuckled, "You Land Spirit Masters are used to your big, huge, permanent homes. But out here, with the sea storms and the rough waters... nothing permanent lasts. So, we build and fix when necessary."

"You lead such free lives," Gu Xingyun murmured, enviously.

"We're pirates. We're not bound to anyone but ourselves and the sea. Of course we're free spirit masters."

"You're lucky."

She eyed him. "You're strong, but I can't tell your exact cultivation. What are you seven at anyways?"

The Shrek Seven Tyrants shared a look and smirked.

Ming Yong explained, "We're all Spirit Emperors, but a couple of us are Spirit Sages already."

Liao Suyin nudged Ru Shenqi with her elbow, grinning, and added, "And this one here's on her way to becoming a Spirit Douluo."

Purple Pearl released her Illusion Sea Snake spirit. Her skin became covered in a fine layer of grey-blue scales. Over the years since the Shrek Seven Devils had seen her last, she had gone from a rank sixty eight Spirit Emperor when they had first met her to being a rank seventh seven Spirit Saint now. Two yellow, two purple, and three black spirit rings danced around her feet.

"I want to see just how strong you little monsters are then."

"Jiaxiang, Shanxin, Suyin, you three first."

On Ru Shenqi's command, the Triple Beauties released their spirits. White wings emerged, jade legs stretched out, and cat ears popped up while nails lengthened into claws. Around the three of them, two yellow hundred year spirit rings, two purple millennium year spirit rings, and two black spirit rings appeared.

Ji Xiang's eyes widened.

"Youyou, Yong."

The Flowering Song released their spirits. A shining rainbow lotus appeared in Fang Youyou's palms. The ebony qin materialized before Ming Yong. Two yellow hundred year spirit rings, two purple millennium year spirit rings, and two black spirit rings descended around them.

The pirates around stopped and turned to look. Five of the seven had released their spirits. They really were Spirit Emperors! And powerful ones at that!

"Xingyun."

He nodded and gave a roar. Golden fur sprouted all over his body. His muscles swelled, and his hands turned into claws. Around him, an intriguing spirit ring configuration appeared. Two yellow spirit rings, one purple spirit ring, and then a shocking four black spirit rings hovered.

Purple Pearl gasped. Ji Xiang's eyebrows shot up. The other pirates choked.

"Y- you have a configuration similar to Captain's."

Gu Xingyun nodded. "That's right. I'm the third spirit master to have a black fourth spirit ring."

"Wait..." Ji Xiang started. "Third? Laoshi should be the first, right? Then who's the second?"

"Me."

From the center of the Shrek Seven Tyrants, two colors flashed. As a pair of clear blue eyes turned silver-white, spirit rings slowly descended. One. By. One.

As the first black decade millennium year spirit ring appeared, cries of shock and alarm rose up. As the second black decade millennium year spirit ring appeared, some pirates shuddered. As the third black decade millennium year spirit ring, some pirates bowed their heads. As the fourth black decade millennium year spirit ring appeared, Ji Xiang let out a low breath.

"So similar to Sea God Douluo..."

When the first red century millennium year spirit ring appeared as Ru Shenqi's fifth spirit ring, pirates' eyes widened as they screamed. When the second red century millennium year spirit ring appeared, many of the surrounding pirates fainted. When the final red century millennium year spirit ring appeared, Purple Pearl dropped to one knee and beat a fist over her heart.

"Though I don't normally bow to Land Spirit Masters... your current spirit ring configuration is a tyranny. You have even surpassed Sea God Douluo. Purple Pearl and her pirates will always be loyal to you, young Spirit Master."

Ru Shenqi stepped forward. "My name is Ru Shenqi. And all I ask is that you help the spirit masters in Vast Sea City protect their homes from Spirit Empire."

Purple Pearl bowed her head. "The Purple Pearl Pirates will never shirk this duty. We will stand with our brothers and sisters. We will keep Spirit Empire from haunting our waters and hurting us. It's what Captain would want also."

Satisfied, Ru Shenqi nodded. "Please, stand. No one needs to kneel or bow to me."

After recovering from her shock, Purple Pearl turned towards her pirates. "Tonight, we're throwing these Land Spirit Masters a feast! Get everything ready! Tomorrow, we'll send them off with a grand farewell and our best wishes!"

"Yes, Purple Pearl!" they all cried.

Scurrying off, the Shrek Seven Tyrants could only gape. Ma Hongjun chuckled.

"And that's the infamous Purple Pearl, Leader of the Purple Pearl Pirates."

<><><>

That evening, the Shrek Seven Tyrants and Ma Hongjun entered the Long Hall and were immediately ushered over to the long table. Purple Pearl and Ji Xiang smiled at them.

She said, "Welcome. Tonight, we'll enjoy some good seafood. Dig in, and don't be shy."

"Woah," Shu Jiaxiang breathed. "There's so much food!"

"What is this?" Fang Youyou asked as he held up a red hard-shelled object.

Ji Xiang chuckled. "That's a lobster tail. The meat inside is edible, just don't eat the shell."

"What is this?" Bai Shanxin inquired, pointing to white shells on a platter.

Purple Pearl answered, "Those are scallops. Again, eat the meat, don't eat the shells."

"What can't we eat?" Gu Xingyun wondered.

The Ocean Spirit Masters shook their heads, laughing. Purple Pearl and Ji Xiang explained the mussels, crab, fish, and seaweed dishes to them. After being enlightened, the Shrek Seven Tyrants reached out and tried the new foods. As the different flavors hit their tastebuds, their eyes widened.

"So good!"

"Yum!"

"I want this everyday!"

Ru Shenqi was the only one who didn't touch the food. Gu Xingyun glanced at her empty plate, worry creasing his brows.

"Xiao Shen, is everything alright?"

Ma Hongjun, slowly starting to realize the underlying problem, cleared his throat. "Xiao Shen, come with me."

She nodded and stood up. Ru Shenqi followed him out of the Long Hall and away from the main camp. When they emerged on the beach, he finally stopped.

"Senior, what are we doing all the way out here?"

"I just want to make sure no one hears us. Come, let's go onto the boat for a bit."

She nodded and leapt up after him. When they landed on the deck, he turned towards her.

"Xiao Shen... while we were hunting Xingyun's seventh ring, you fell ill. Remember?"

"Yes."

"I called on an old friend, and she told me something. I didn't know whether or not to tell you, but I think with us drawing nearer to Haishen Island, it's time I did."

"What is it, Senior?"

Ma Hongjun sighed. "Your mother had the Barreleyes Fish spirit, right?"

Ru Shenqi nodded. "That's right."

"That spirit came from her father, who was an Ocean Spirit Master living on Haishen Island. Her mother though... was a century millennium year Crystal Titan Dolphin spirit beast. When we neared a pod of them, your blood called out to them. You underwent a spirit evolution again, thus bringing out more of your ocean-attuned side."

"I'm descended from a spirit beast?"

Ma Hongjun hummed in agreement. "It must be somewhat similar to Xiao Wu's predicament. She can't eat meat, being a rabbit. You must not be able to eat seafood, being descended from sea creatures."

Ru Shenqi's eyebrows furrowed. "That doesn't make sense. I ate meat back in Heaven Dou City."

"Well... I don't know then. But you really are descended from a Crystal Titan Dolphin. Your mother also changed her surname when she came to Douluo Continent. Her original family name was Bo, the same as Haishen Island's last Head Flamen, Bo Saixi."

She pondered his words. Mom, why did you never tell me this? Was it to keep me safe? Did Spirit Empire find out about this? Is this why they hunted you and Dad down? Did Dad ever know?

"Xiao Shen?"

"I wonder if my Mom ever knew about this."

"If anything, your maternal grandmother would've been like Xiao Wu: a fully-fledged human after they reach the sixtieth rank of cultivation. Your blood is human. You are human, Xiao Shen. It's just that your lineage is not fully human."

"Are you going to tell Laoshi and Sect Leader about this?" she asked quietly.

"I'm afraid I'll have to. San Ge needs to know everything he can in order to keep you safe from Spirit Empire. We don't want Hu Liena hunting you down."

Little did they know about the Supreme Pontiff's orders.

"Xiao Shen understands."

"Good, let's go back then. I think I want to eat some crab again."

She nodded and followed Ma Hongjun back to the pirates' camp. Once they had returned, she tried to keep the solemn look off of her face. But her friends were her family and knew her all too well.

"Xiao Shen? What is it?"

But she refused to answer, simply shaking her head instead. "It's nothing."

Worry filled Gu Xingyun. What's gotten into her? She was so lively earlier. And now... there's a sadness looming over her like a dark cloud on a rainy day.

4