109. Sacrifice
64 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Blood Eyed Golden Leopard spat at Ru Shenqi. "Never."

She shrugged nonchalantly. "Was worth a shot."

Gliding past him, she whispered in Ming Yong's ear, "Don't worry. This trip won't be in vain. No matter what, you will get the left leg bone you need."

"Xiao Shen, what are you planning?"

Sadness filled her eyes, but he didn't see it. "Just trust me."

"Suyin, for the moment, just restrain this leopard."

"Fourth spirit skill, Tarantula Web."

Constrained by her sticky webs, but not injured, the spirit beast glared at all of them. Ru Shenqi turned and said, "Youyou, come with me."

"Xiao Shen?"

"We're going to get Yong a spirit bone. The rest of you stay here to guard this finicky leopard."

The Shrek Six Tyrants trusted Ru Shenqi. Although they didn't understand what she was planning, they didn't think anything of it. By the time the Control System and Auxiliary Systems had left, Shu Jiaxiang suddenly remembered.

"Wait... Xiao Shen has no spirit power. How is she going to get a spirit bone with just Yong?"

The others panicked, but the Blood Eyed Golden Leopard broke from the tarantula webs. Forced into preoccupation, they had to hope Ru Shenqi wouldn't come across any difficulties.

Meanwhile, Ru Shenqi led Fang Youyou over to an empty room. Inside, she locked the door and stood in the center with her back to her friend.

"Youyou, I need spirit power."

"Xiao Shen, I thought you said that you can't regain spirit power for a week."

"Please, just this once, don't ask."

He sighed and said, "Third spirit skill, Flowering Lotus Regrowth."

The lotus petal landed on Ru Shenqi and with the brief moment of granted spirit power before it was cancelled out, she launched her fifth spirit skill. Her myriad flames rose up, blocking Fang Youyou's view. From this moment on, she knew she had very little time. The Golden Scepter appeared in her hand. She closed her eyes, and used the weapon to amputate her left calf. She bit her lip to keep from crying out and leaned on her Scepter to momentarily balance herself. Soon, the White Wolf Emperor left leg bone appeared. Taking a deep breath, she drew it to her storage bracelet. Once it was gone, her flames receded. Her eyelids fluttered as a few drops of blood trickled from the corner of her mouth.

"Xiao Shen!"

Fang Youyou ran forward and caught her arm. She breathed heavily and turned her head to look at him. "Youyou, don't tell the others."

"Tell them what? I never saw anything Xiao Shen."

"Then, that's good. It's better if you don't know. Let's go back now."

He nodded and helped her back. When they entered the other room, the five saw her battered state and cried out in alarm. "Xiao Shen!"

Gu Xingyun took her from Fang Youyou. "Xiao Shen, what happened?"

But she shook her head, remaining silent.

"Youyou?"

He shook his head as well. "I didn't see anything."

Ru Shenqi tapped her bracelet and the White Wolf Emperor left leg bone appeared in her hand. "Yong, hurry and absorb it."

The spirit bone, of course, looked familiar to all of them. But many spirit bones resembled one another. Without questioning it's acquirement, Yong reached out and sat down. As he began to absorb it, the spirit beast crossed his arms over his chest.

"You are the most foolish human I've ever seen."

"I'm not human. I'm a God."

His eyes widened. "A God?"

She nodded. "I'm Ru Shenqi, the Goddess of Nine Stars."

"Ru... Nine Stars..." he murmured. "You wouldn't happen to be related to Ru Zuanshi, would you?"

Her eyes sharpened instantly. Fang Youyou, Gu Xingyun, Liao Suyin, Shu Jiaxiang, and Bai Shanxin moved in front of her protectively. "She was my mother, why?"

"I had just undergone transformation into human form. Spirit Empire had come to Star Dou Great Forest. That Goddess of Nine Stars betrayed Spirit Empire to protect me. If your words are true, it seems you really are her blood."

"Then, am I still foolish?"

"Yes. Because I, Jin Zhenyi1金真意 - given name means "Clear Meaning" and comes from Tao Qian's poem "Drinking Wine", have never seen a human or God do what you've done. I didn't think such a selfless person existed. It seems you've proved me wrong."

"Xiao Shen," Gu Xingyun began. "What is he talking about?"

"Don't worry about it, Xingyun."

Jin Zhenyi scoffed. "Don't listen to her. This fool sacrificed her own strength."

"Sacrificed her strength? What do you mean?"

Ru Shenqi's Death God Domain suddenly iced the entire room. "Spirit beast, I would suggest you don't say anything else."

"Or what? You'll kill me?"

"I don't need your ring. But that doesn't mean I can't injure you."

Ming Yong's eyebrows suddenly scrunched. After all, he was absorbing a century millennium spirit bone. Ru Shenqi summoned her Golden Scepter and used the Power of the Ocean to protect him.

After six hours, the absorption finally concluded. Ming Yong's eyes suddenly flashed open, and he leapt to his feet. A cry of dismay escaped his lips.

"Xiao Shen!"

A sad smile spread across her lips. "I promised you, didn't I? That no matter what, you'd get a left leg spirit bone?"

"If I had known before, I would never have accepted it! No wonder it looked so familiar! Xiao Shen, how could you?"

"I'd do any for my family."

"Yong, what does your spirit bone do?" Bai Shanxin asked excitedly.

Pain flickered in his eyes as he continued to stare at Ru Shenqi. "My speed is increased by one hundred percent."

"Ahh? Your skill is just like Xiao Shen's!"

He frowned. "Because it is hers."

"Huh?" the other Tyrants didn't understand.

Jin Zhenyi smirked. "I wonder... which one of you two will finally admit it?"

Ming Yong finally looked away from Ru Shenqi and said plainly, "Xiao Shen gave me her White Wolf Emperor left leg bone."

Gu Xingyun's head whipped. Liao Suyin, Shu Jiaxiang, Fang Youyou, and Bai Shanxin gaped at her. She lowered her head. Her beloved asked, "Xiao Shen, is this true?"

After biting her lip, she nodded slowly.

"You cut off your own leg just to give Yong a spirit bone?!"

Just the purple light surrounded Ming Yong. In his head, he heard, Third Trial, Gather All Spirit Bones, complete. Fourth Trial, Sound Wave, begun.

Huh? What's Sound Wave supposed to mean? Ming Yong wondered.

At that moment, his eyes rolled into the back of his head, and he collapsed. Ru Shenqi felt dread pool in her stomach. She made to lunge, but Gu Xingyun stopped her. Fang Youyou caught him and laid him down on the nearby settee. Worry filled everyone's hearts.

"What's happening?" Liao Suyin murmured, shaking.

"Did, did I miscalculate? Was the White Wolf Emperor left leg bone actually not suitable?" Ru Shenqi breathed as tears welled in her eyes. Is he in this state because of me?

Guilt and blame began to blossom within her. Gu Xingyun held her close.

"Let's just wait and see. Theoretically, your spirit bone shouldn't disrupt him. We can't do anything about it now anyways."

Soon, all six spirit bones surfaced. Spirit power ran from his Mental Immunity skull bone and began to connect to the other bones like a meridian system. Jin Zhenyi's eyes widened.

"His spirit bones are unifying."

"What does that mean?" Bai Shanxin asked.

"He's undergoing God Trials, right?"

The Shrek Six Tyrants nodded.

"Then, like the Sea God, the God of Music must have a divine set of spirit bones. I think this is them transforming."

Ru Shenqi took a shuddering breath as her bottom lip quivered. Yong, please be alright. If this backfires, I'll never be able to forgive myself.

Jealousy grew in Gu Xingyun's heart. He watched the raw emotions on his beloved's face as her gaze never left Ming Yong. He looked at his competition with narrowing eyes. At that moment, the deep voice echoed in his mind again.

I can help you. All you have to do is trust me. I can guarantee you keep your beloved. She'll never be with that other young man.

Can you really do this? Gu Xingyun asked.

Of course. Let me help you this time.

Alright.

His usually bright yellow eyes turned purplish black once more. When he opened his mouth, his voice was blended with the Rakshasa God's. "Human suffering is a feast to me. Resentment turns into the scythe's gleam, tearing apart all beings. Prison of Rakshasa!"

Soon, the whole room was doused in a chilly atmosphere. Pinkish-purple flowers blossomed all over. Ru Shenqi's eyes widened in horror.

"No," she breathed. "Xingyun, stop!"

"Divine skill, Calamity Curse Annihilation!"

The attack snaked towards Ming Yong. Liao Suyin, Shu Jiaxiang, Bai Shanxin, and Fang Youyou couldn't believe what they were seeing. Jin Zhenyi's jaw dropped.

"The Rakshasa God has chosen a new successor also?!"

Ru Shenqi broke free from Gu Xingyun's grasp. "No. I won't lose anyone else ever again. Even if Xingyun hates me afterwards, I won't allow him to kill Yong."

She spun, and her Penta Divine Pearl Diadem began to glow. Slamming the bottom of her Golden Scepter into the ground, she activated both the Power of the Ocean and the Power of Haishen Hall. With them, she created a shield around Ming Yong.

"The Rakshasa God will never emerge on Douluo Continent again!"

Forcing all of her spiritual power and Divine Aura into the Golden Scepter, she blocked the divine skill. Blood spewed from her lips. Since she wasn't at God level for the moment while her God powers were limited, the divine skill of the Rakshasa God bore down on her. She suffered severe internal injures. The other Tyrants wanted to help, but they knew that as Spirit Douluos, they stood no chance of defending against a divine skill.

After the Calamity Curse Annihilation had finished, Gu Xingyun's eyelids fluttered, and his legs gave way. Bai Shanxin shot over and caught him. Ru Shenqi, meanwhile, spat more blood, and dropped to one knee. Her death grip on her Scepter resulted in white knuckles.

"Second spirit skill, Flowering Lotus Eternity."

But the color in Fang Youyou's lotus petal faded the moment it touched Ru Shenqi. Her insides felt as if they had been shattered. With her free hand, she clutched at her chest. Liao Suyin and Shu Jiaxiang ran over to her and supported her.

"Xiao Shen, what was that?"

"Rakshasa God. A First Class God. I'm no match for him as a Third Class God but since I have no spirit power and can't use my Divine Skills, I'm at even more of a loss."

"Then, is Yong..."

Fang Youyou took Ming Yong's pulse. "He's fine. Jin Zhenyi, you were right. His spirit bones are becoming divine."

"T- that's good," Ru Shenqi gasped out.

She coughed and collapsed. Liao Suyin held her in her lap. Jin Zhenyi walked over and stood over the youngest of the Shrek Seven Tyrants.

"That God is quite selfless. I'm touched. So, in return for her saving me, I'll gift her something."

Shu Jiaxiang's eyes narrowed. "What are you giving her?"

"A spirit bone. I can tell that she has a skull bone, a right arm bone, and an external bone. Since she's in need of a left leg bone to restore her body, I'll give her one."

"One? Is your spirit bone not a left beg bone?"

Jin Zhengyi shook his head. "My spirit bone is a left arm bone. It is helpful to her, since she has an Eyes spirit. But as of right now, she needs a left leg spirit bone the most."

He drew a spirit bone from his magical, storage, curb collar necklace. "This is a century millennium spirit bone from one of my brothers who were killed by Spirit Empire. I managed to snatch it before they could. It'll grant her a powerful single attack and a speed increase of fifty percent. Hopefully, the absorption process will also heal some of her internal injuries because if her condition isn't stabilized soon, she runs the risk of dying."

Shu Jiaxiang and Liao Suyin shared a look. Then, they glanced at Fang Youyou and Bai Shanxin. After a silent exchange, the four nodded. Jin Zhenyi knelt down and slowly rolled up the folds of her skirt. Shu Jiaxiang snarled.

"Hey, I don't mean anything. I need to see if the spirit bone restore her limb."

"I can do that myself. Sixth spirit skill, Flowering Lotus Regeneration."

But just like all of his other spirit skills, it didn't work this time. He frowned. "It should work."

"She can't renew spirit power," Liao Suyin commented. "Perhaps that's why."

Jin Zhenyi held the spirit bone over Ru Shenqi's left leg. It floated down and began to merge. Soon, her limb began to materialize. The spirit bone stuck to her leg and began to send its power throughout her body. Jin Zhenyi felt her pulse and noticed that it was becoming more regular. He nodded in satisfaction.

The first one of the three to wake up was Gu Xingyun. He groaned, and Bai Shanxin helped him to sit up. He saw Jin Zhenyi, Liao Suyin, Fang Youyou, and Shu Jiaxiang gathered around Ru Shenqi. Standing, he walked over to them. Seeing her sickly pale form, his eyebrows furrowed.

"What happened to Xiao Shen?"

The four glared at him. "Never, never give in to the Rakshasa God ever again."

"Why not? He can give me the power to protect Xiao Shen and make sure she won't run off with anyone else."

Fang Youyou scoffed. "Are you insane? Xiao Shen loves you. She would never betray you."

"Are you sure? Then, why does she keep showing Yong favoritism?!" Gu Xingyun cried as he pointed to the young man on the settee.

Liao Suyin stood. "With the Rakshasa God's control, you used a divine skill called Calamity Curse Annihilation to try and kill Yong. Xiao Shen blocked it and suffered severe internal injuries because of it."

They're lying, the Rakshasa God jumped in. They're trying to help your woman be with that other man. Are you going to let that happen?

Gu Xingyun's eyes narrowed. "You're lying. You just don't want us to be together!"

He lunged at them. Fang Youyou squawked in alarm. Liao Suyin launched her third spirit skill, Tarantula Reign, and covered herself in armor. Shu Jiaxiang and Bai Shanxin joined her in protecting Fang Youyou and the others. Seeing this, Gu Xingyun growled.

"See! You're all against me!"

Jin Zhenyi continued to monitor Ru Shenqi's absorption. When the spirit bone had fully merged, he let out a sigh of relief. Her eyebrows scrunched, and she groaned. He helped her to stand, and she turned to look at the wild-eyed Gu Xingyun.

"Xingyun," she rasped out. "Don't let the Rakshasa God poison your thoughts. We're a family, remember? The Shrek Seven Tyrants are one."

"Xiao Shen, do you even love me? Have you ever?"

Hurt flashed in her eyes. "Of course I do."

She's lying. Her heart has already been given to another. She plans to return to Haishen Island with him after the war. She's never planned on marrying you.

Gu Xingyun's hands clenched into fists. "Xiao Shen, tell me, are you returning to Haishen Island with Yong after all this is over?

She sighed sadly. The Rakshasa God must've told him.

"I'm returning to Haishen Island because I am its Head Flamen. It's my duty to protect the ocean spirit masters. Yong and Youyou are the only ones who aren't tied somewhere. Shanxin will return to Tang Sect, but Youyou will probably follow her since they're a couple. Suyin and Jiaxiang both will return to Suotuo City. You have Guang Kingdom to go back to and become King of."

"So were you never going to marry me?"

Ru Shenqi lowered her head. "Since I became the Head Flamen, I've known that I cannot marry you. I'm bound to Haishen Island, Xingyun."

See? Wasn't I right?

Gu Xingyun growled, "Xiao Shen, do I really mean so little to you?"

Suddenly, a cold voice cut in, "Stop. Don't doubt Xiao Shen's love for you."

Everyone whipped around to see Ming Yong rise from the settee. Fourth Trial, Sound Wave, completed. Fifth Trial, Test of Loneliness, completed. Sixth Trial, Test of Comradery, begun.

Gu Xingyun's gaze levelled on him. "You don't have a say here."

Ming Yong frowned. "Xingyun, Xiao Shen would give you one of her spirit bones if you needed it. She would for any one of us. Don't overthink things between us."

The next few words were whispered so low, only Ru Shenqi at her God level and Ming Yong at his almost God level could hear it. "Only when you are dead can I have Xiao Shen back."

Her eyes widened in alarm. Rushing over, she caught his arm. "Don't, please don't. We're the Shrek Seven Tyrants. There should be seven of us. Now and always."

3