111. Five Flavors, One Chance
87 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tang San and Xiao Wu left the camp at Liuying Gorge early the next morning. Unbeknownst to the others, except for the Golden Iron Triangle, they had gone to hunt for the herbs he needed to make the Five Flavors Soup of Oblivion.

Ru Shenqi was still unconscious. Ming Yong and Fang Youyou sat at her side, monitoring for any changes. Liao Suyin, Shu Jiaxiang, and Bai Shanxin had gone to visit Gu Xingyun. As they entered the tent, he looked up at them. The Triple Beauties' eyes all latched onto the Asura Demonic Sword which was keeping the pesky Rakshasa God at bay.

Finally, Liao Suyin glanced at their boss. "Xingyun, you're our friend. We don't want to have to see you like this. But you keep letting the Rakshasa God invade your thoughts. Haven't you seen how this has upset Xiao Shen?"

Bai Shanxin added, "She loves you so much. She doesn't want to see you lose sight of yourself. You fought to be the best of your brothers, and you've always protected us. You've made some good accomplishments also. You're a Titled Douluo at twenty six. Not every can say they became a Titled Douluo at twenty-six."

"But Yong is better than me! Why does he get to be better than me?!"

"And what about Xiao Shen and Senior Tang San? They both achieved the Titled Douluo stage earlier than twenty six years old. Do you not have any grievances with their achievements?" Shu Jiaxiang asked.

"The Shrek Seven Devils are legendary. We can't easily compare to them."

Liao Suyin frowned. "And yet, they've said we're even more monstrous than them. Xingyun, are you just jealous because Yong doesn't come from an elite background?"

"He never talks about his family. I always just assumed he was an orphan, abandoned by his parents."

She sighed. "That's not it at all. His family lived in Gengxin City, and they were really wealthy. But, Spirit Empire returned and razed the city to the ground. His family learned of the invasion and sent him off to Shrek Academy just before it happened. In the end, they perished while he survived. Yong doesn't talk about it because it's painful to."

Gu Xingyun looked down at the ground, slightly ashamed. "I- I never knew."

"It took Yong a long time to open up about it. I doubt Xiao Shen knows either."

"That's right," Bai Shanxin cut in. "We've known Yong longer, so he trusted us much earlier and told us this before we ever met you two."

He remained silent.

She walked over and rested a hand on his shoulder. "You've always had a jealous streak. When we were in Vast Sea City, you nearly killed that Ocean spirit master after finding out that he cared about Xiao Shen. Xingyun, you have to trust Xiao Shen. You have to believe that she won't love anyone other than you and that no one can steal her away from you."

But his insecurities washed over him. "What if she does fall in love with someone else? If she goes back to Haishen Island with Yong, who's to say she won't marry him?"

Shu Jiaxiang and the other two hung their heads.

"What? Are they already engaged?!"

The Triple Beauties shook their heads. Liao Suyin explained slowly, "Xiao Shen cannot marry. At all. With her position as Head Flamen, she is meant to serve Haishen Island for life. Which means, she must only worship the Sea God and cannot indulge in personal affairs. Her predecessor, Senior Bo Saixi, fell in love but Fate was cruel and separated them for years. In the end, she gave up her youthfulness to be with him. Then, she sacrificed her life so that Senior Tang San could become the next Sea God. This is Xiao Shen's Fate. She will sit as Head Flamen until a new Sea God is chosen or until another worthy spirit master gets a Peak Red Level Seven or Peak Red Level Eight Test."

Gu Xingyun's eyes widened. "What?"

"She cannot marry you or Yong. She cannot marry anyone," Bai Shanxin reiterated.

"B- but Qian Daoliu had a son and a granddaughter!"

"Qian Xunji was born before he became Spirit Empire's Head Flamen," Shu Jiaxiang explained. "But, he too, was separated from Senior Bo Saixi and died so that Qian Renxue could become the Angel Goddess."

He shook his head fervently. "I don't believe it. I don't believe you! Go away! Leave me alone! GET OUT!"

The Triple Beauties could only sigh in resignation and leave. When they returned to the medical tent, Fang Youyou turned around.

"How did it go?"

"He's too stubborn and jealous. He refuses to believe Xiao Shen can't marry."

"She told us this explicitly while we were looking for him in Icebound Forest," Fang Youyou began. "I don't understand why he doesn't see the truth is our words."

Ming Yong rested a hand on his buddy's shoulder. "It's because he's been blinded by the Rakshasa God. His thoughts are no longer his own. But if he accepts the Rakshasa God's Inheritance, there will only be one outcome for him."

Bai Shanxin hung her head, knowing where he was going with this. "Senior Tang San will kill him."

"Ah?!" Shu Jiaxiang gasped.

Ming Yong explained, "The Asura and Rakshasa Gods have very similar traits. But the Asura God rules over killing while the Rakshasa God rules over evil thoughts. They have been nearly equal in power throughout antiquity, much like Sword Douluo and Bone Douluo. But Senior Tang San killed Bibi Dong. And only the Asura God has the capability to stop the Rakshasa God from causing any more trouble on Douluo Continent. So, if Xingyun accepts the Inheritance, Senior Tang San will have no choice but to kill him."

<><><>

Tang San and Xiao Wu searched all over Star Dou Great Forest. But so far, he had only found one of the ingredients needed for the soup, the seaweed1the algin in seaweed absorbs toxins from the digestive system, improving digestion, stimulating kidney function, increasing circulation, and purifying the blood. But he still needed the turmeric, valerian root, Schisandra berry, and the most important ingredient of all, the water forget-me-not2turmeric accelerates the detoxification process in the body; valerian root is a natural sedative; Schisandra berries (or Five-Flavor Berries) enhance both physical endurance and mental concentration and at the same time soothes the nerves, taking the edge off anxiety; water forget-me-not is slightly poisonous (I simply included this one because of its name, the rest are actual herbs used in Traditional Chinese Medicine).

"Ge, we've run all over Star Dou Great Forest all day. What are we even looking for?"

He sighed and finally told her about the Five Flavors Soup of Oblivion. "Xiao Wu, do you know where me might get the other herbs?"

"The turmeric plant can be found at the outer edges of the forest. The berries can be found in Sunset Forest in Tian Dou City. I've heard Zhuqing talk about the water forget-me-not's before, so I think they can be found somewhere in Star Luo Empire, maybe on the coast. I don't know what the valerian root is."

"Then, let's go get the turmeric first."

She nodded, and they headed out. After two more hours of searching, Tang San finally found the lush green herb. He plucked the plants before putting them in his Wishful Hundred Treasure Purse.

"Where to next, Ge?"

"From here, Heaven Dou City is closer. We can get the berries. Then, we need head for Star Luo Empire immediately. When we pass Liuying Gorge, we can quickly ask Old Freak about the valerian root. Time is of the essence."

The two teleported out of Star Dou Great Forest and reappeared in Sunset Forest. "Xiao Wu, where are the Schisandra berries?"

"Follow me. I've seen them on the trees before."

She led him in towards the center of the forest. They looked around at trees before finally finding an ancient tree. The red berries stood out against their brownish-black vine. Using his Mysterious Jade Hand and a couple short blades, Tang San cut the vine and put it into his purse.

"Good memory, Xiao Wu. Now, let's head back to Liuying Gorge."

<><><>

A week later...

In the medical tent, Ru Shenqi still laid on the bed, unconscious. Her friends flitted around nervously, wringing their hands and biting their bottom lips.

Liao Suyin murmured, "When will Xiao Shen wake up?"

Fang Youyou shook his head. "She suffered great stress and pain in Heaven Dou City. I don't think it'll be any time soon."

Ming Yong hung his head. "Xiao Shen should've never given me her White Wolf Emperor left leg bone. I wouldn't have minded waiting longer."

"At least she got the Blood-Eyed Golden Leopard left leg bone," Bai Shanxin said, reassuringly.

Before any of the other Tyrants could say more, Tang San and Xiao Wu entered. They stepped aside and bowed respectfully to their Seniors.

"You five Tyrants, come with me. I want to see how your cultivation has increased."

Liao Suyin, Shu Jiaxiang, Bai Shanxin, Fang Youyou, and Ming Yong took one last look at their friend before leaving the tent with Tang San. Xiao Wu, left alone with her disciple, walked over to the bed and began transferring spirit power to her. Now that the one week timeframe had passed, Ru Shenqi was able to regenerate spirit power again. Within five minutes, most of her cultivation had returned.

She groaned, and her eyelids slowly opened. "L- Laoshi?"

"Xiao Shen, how are you feeling? You've been unconscious for over a week."

"Better, I think I needed the rest."

"Good, you've mostly recovered your spirit power now. If you continue to rest today, you'll probably regain the rest by cultivating tomorrow."

"Xiao Shen understands. Laoshi..."

"Hmm?"

"How's Xingyun?"

Xiao Wu sighed. "Ge has a plan, but he decided to ask for your opinion and permission first."

Ru Shenqi's eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Xingyun is lost in his obsession. The Asura Sword can only hold off the Rakshasa God for so long. If he accepts the Inheritance Trial, it'll be too late. Ge will have no choice but to kill him."

"No!"

Xiao Wu patted her shoulder. "Ge doesn't want to have to do it either. So, he found another way."

"What is it?"

"He calls it the Five Flavors Soup of Oblivion. If Xingyun is fed a small serving, he will forget his greatest obsession. But that means... he'll forget everything about you."

Ru Shenqi's eyes widened. "B- but he won't be obsessed with killing Yong anymore, right?"

Xiao Wu nodded. "He'll remember the other Tyrants. Just not his beloved."

The disciple hung her head. Xingyun will forget me. Can I bear the pain of remembering? But then, determination set in her eyes. She raised her head as a plan began to formulate in her head.

"Laoshi, I think this is best for everyone. As the Head Flamen of Haishen Island, I cannot be with Xingyun anyways. If he doesn't remember me, he won't insist on me becoming his Queen. He won't hurt Yong anymore. He won't have any regrets. So, Sect Leader has my permission. Give him the soup."

The Soft-Boned Rabbit's heart hurt for her disciple. She knew all too well the pain of having to lose your loved one. But, she also knew that for Douluo Continent, the Rakshasa God could not reemerge. "Are you sure, Xiao Shen? You still have the chance to refuse it."

But, Ru Shenqi shook her head. "I don't wish to see him lose sight of himself. Laoshi, I never thought that his jealousy would lead to this point. So... let's get rid of it. If the Five Flavors Soup of Oblivion really can make him forget me and his obsession, then so be it. I'd rather have Xingyun not remember me than have the Rakshasa God return."

Xiao Shen really has grown up.

Xiao Wu nodded slowly. "Alright then. I'll tell Ge that you've approved."

She stood and left her disciple to rest. Outside, she saw Tang San sparring with the Shrek Five Tyrants. When he noticed her, he quickly ended the fight. She walked up to him.

"What did Xiao Shen say?"

"She's agreed."

His eyes widened. "So quickly?"

"Haishen Island really matured her. She knows this is for the best and that it's also the best outcome. She never protested at all."

Tang San sighed. "It's good she knows. I'll go make the soup then."

He turned and headed towards the cooking area. The Shrek Five Tyrants approached Xiao Wu.

"Senior, what's going on?"

"Ge is going to see Xingyun."

Fear filled the fives' eyes. Seeing this, she added, "He's not going to kill your friend. I've already talked this over with Xiao Shen, and she's agreed."

"Agreed to what?" Ming Yong asked.

"Making Xingyun forget her. As long as he doesn't know her, his obsession will be quelled. He won't be jealous, and the Rakshasa God won't have ill thoughts to feed off of. This is the only way to stop the Rakshasa God and save Xingyun."

"Forget Xiao Shen?" Bai Shanxin breathed. "What about the rest of us?"

"He'll remember you all. Just not his loved one."

Fang Youyou frowned. "How could Xiao Shen agree to this? She loves him. How could she bear to erase his memories of her?"

But, Liao Suyin understood. "She doesn't want to see him lose himself or die, and she can't marry him anyways. If Senior Tang San doesn't do this, Xingyun will eventually be convinced. He'll accept the Inheritance of the Rakshasa God just because he's jealous of Yong becoming the God of Music. And Xingyun will die by the Asura Sword if he accepts the Inheritance."

Shu Jiaxiang murmured, "This really is his best chance."

Xiao Wu nodded. "It's good you all realize this too."

Ming Yong asked, "Senior, may we all go speak with Xingyun before Senior Tang San make him forget?"

She shook her head. "It's not a good idea. We can't afford any mishaps at this point in time. The risks are too great."

"What about Xiao Shen?"

"She's the last person he should see right now. For all of our sakes, Xingyun needs to forget without any issues."

<><><>

Four hours later, Tang San walked from the cooking area to the tent that held the Golden Heavenly Lion. Gu Xingyun looked up as he entered.

"What does Senior Tang San want?"

"Nothing. I have some soup for you. I'm sure your throat is parched."

He's lying. It's a trick!

Gu Xingyun's eyes narrowed. "I don't want it."

Tang San frowned. "Oh? I would've thought you'd be hungry. Well, I won't force you if you don't want it. I'll have Xiao Wu send it back to Xiao Shen then."

He turned to go when the other cried, "Wait!"

"Hmm?"

"How is Xiao Shen?"

"She's finally woken up."

"That's good. I was so worried. Is she alright?"

"Xiao Wu helped her regain most of her spirit power. And then, Xiao Shen insisted on making this soup for you. But since you don't want it..."

"No! I'll drink the soup! If it's from Xiao Shen, I'll drink it!"

Tang San turned and walked over to Gu Xingyun. He squatted down and held out the bowl. "I'll hold it."

Gu Xingyun felt the cool bowl on his lips and drank the warm fluid. Once he had finished it all, Tang San stood and made for the entrance flap.

"Xingyun," he warned. "This is the only chance we can give you. Don't let it be in vain."

Then, he was gone. Soon after, Gu Xingyun clutched at his head. He groaned and began to claw at his scalp. But within a few minutes, he had fallen unconscious. Tang San returned and untied him from the post in the center of the tent. He took back the Asura Sword and carried Gu Xingyun over to an open tent, laying him down on the bed inside. At that moment, Ru Shenqi came in.

"Sect Leader... has it been done?"

Tang San turned to face her and nodded. "If the Five Flavors Soup of Oblivion is a success, then when he wakes up, he won't remember you."

She sighed sadly. "I know. I also chose to let him forget. I'll bear all of the memories, both happy and painful. As long as Xingyun doesn't want to kill Yong anymore, I'm alright with it. If Xingyun can live at the cost of forgetting me, that's good too."

"Xiao Shen, may I ask you something?"

"What is it, Sect Leader?"

"Do you love Yong? You seem to care about him a lot."

Her eyes flashed down to the ground. "I see Yong as an older brother. He's always been so good to me and has protected me. As such, I don't want to see him get hurt because of me. I've already lost my parents and lost Yong once. I don't want to lose him or anyone else ever again."

Tang San nodded sadly. "I understand your pain. Come, let's leave him to rest then."

Ru Shenqi bowed her head and followed him out obediently. They made their way over to Xiao Wu, the Golden Iron Triangle, and the other five Tyrants.

"Xiao San, is it done?" Yu Xiaogang asked.

"Yes, Laoshi. Xingyun should wake up by the morning."

Ming Yong walked over to Ru Shenqi and rested a hand on her shoulder. "You've done what you thought was best, Xiao Shen. Now, we can only hope that the Xingyun who wakes up is the one we all recognize."

She wrung her hands nervously. "If he wakes up controlled by the Rakshasa God, he'll only have one end."

"Don't think like that. We have to hope he'll be the same Xingyun as before."

Sixth Trial, Test of Comradery, completed. Ultimate Resonance granted. Seventh Trial, Retrieve the Gilded Strings, begun.

<><><>

The next morning, Gu Xingyun woke up, clutching at his head. His eyebrows furrowed.

"What happened?"

He climbed out of bed and looked around. Then, he remembered. We're at the camp at Liuying Gorge.

After smoothening out his clothes, he exited the tent and looked around. Seeing the other Tyrants, he started towards them. Ru Shenqi stood in the center, hidden by their bodies. Bai Shanxin was the first to notice him.

"Xingyun, you're awake."

Ru Shenqi quickly lowered her head. Ming Yong moved to keep her behind him, just in case. Liao Suyin, Fang Youyou, Shu Jiaxiang, and Liao Suyin turned to face their Vice-Captain.

"How did we get back from Heaven Dou City?" Gu Xingyun asked, frowning.

"Senior Tang San brought us back." Fang Youyou hesitated before carefully asking, "Xingyun, what do you remember?"

"We went to Heaven Dou City to get the last two spirit bones for Yong. He's on track to becoming the God of Music. Youyou, why do you ask?"

"Does he have all six then?" Shu Jiaxiang wondered.

Gu Xingyun thought about it. Then, he shook his head. "Yong, did we only manage to get you a torso bone?"

Behind Ming Yong, Ru Shenqi let out a silent sigh of relief. Good, he doesn't remember. Now, the Shrek Tyrants can be seven once more.

4