113. Two Paths
67 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xiao Wu soon returned. "Ge thinks your departure is a good idea. And once Xiao Shen sees you aren't there, she'll feel relieved."

Ming Yong and the other Tyrants nodded. "Then we should go now. It'll take us some time anyways to find the Gilded Strings."

"Are we taking Xingyun with us?" Bai Shanxin asked.

"Yes. Since he doesn't remember Xiao Shen, he might actually hurt her. And I don't think she can bear that again. So let's leave with him. We'll only return to Liuying Gorge when I've become the God of Music. That way, we can give Xiao Shen time for whatever she has planned. Which means that, for now, us Shrek Seven Tyrants will have to walk separate paths."

His friends agreed, and they departed from the tent. After finding Gu Xingyun sparring with Dai Mubai, the Shrek Six Tyrants took off, headed first for the south side of the Continent.

<><><>

A week after the Shrek Six Tyrants had gone in search of the Gilded Strings, Spirit Empire made their move. Hu Liena, Yan, Xie Yue, and Ru Shenqi stood on the balcony, watching as the troops marched out from Liuying Fortress.

Tang San and Xiao Wu formed their Coexistence of Two Gods spirit fusion skill. Two Hell White Tigers appeared on the battlefield. A phoenix screeched. Swords dotted the sky. Two massive dragons floated in the air.

Ru Shenqi's eyebrows furrowed for a moment before she breathed a sigh of relief. Good, my friends aren't here. Ming Yong must've brought them to look for the Gilded Strings. She closed her eyes in pain. I can't believe it's come down to this. Mom, Dad, Haishen Island, please don't hate me for this.

When her eyes opened, she watched Hu Liena and Xie Yue leap from the balcony. They joined together and created a Titled Douluo level Charm Genie. The Shrek Seven Devils' eyes widened. The Golden Saint Dragon Luo San Pao roared. Yan flew forward and launched his spirit. But Tang San wasn't to be underestimated.

Soon, Hu Liena and Xie Yue fell out of their spirit fusion skill. They shot back to the balcony and sat down, meditating to force out the toxins. Poisoned needles from Yama's Invitation fell to the ground. Ru Shenqi gritted her teeth.

Xiao Wu separated from Tang San and teleported close to Liuying Fortress. A hidden weapon appeared in her hand.

The Buddha Fury Tang Lotus!!

Ru Shenqi lifted into the air, holding the Golden Scepter, and gave a silent apology. Her third spirit ring lit up. She combined her Clear Crystal Armor with the Power of Haishen Hall to protect all of the fortress from the number one hidden weapon of the Tang Sect. When the attack failed, she fell to the ground, clutching at her chest. Blood spewed from her lips. Seeing this, Yan growled and went all out. His Flame Lord Spirit Avatar launched. His fourth spirit ring lit up, activating his Lord Berserk Transformation. Ma Hongjun gave a screech and dove for him, deciding to fight fire with fire.

Thousands of swords suddenly flew towards Liuying Fortress. This was not other than Sword Douluo Chen Xin's Myriad Sword Returning Tribe. Bone Douluo Gu Rong's Ossified Dragon also shot towards the building. With the Golden Generation currently occupied, Ru Shenqi had no choice but to act herself. She fought the pain from her internal injuries and straightened. Rising back into the air, her seventh spirit skill, Clear Crystal Eyes Spirit Avatar, launched. Then, she released her Clear Crystal Domain. Within seconds, countless people fell victim to her senses removal.

"Retreat!" Tang San called.

But the further away they got, the further out her domain stretched. Seeing they were being followed, he released his Sea God Domain. A Divine domain against a domain attached to a spirit ring... there was no hope of overcoming the power difference. Ru Shenqi's domain was broken immediately, and she spat more blood. Knowing that no matter what she did with the Golden Scepter, the Sea God across from her would counter it, she didn't even bother trying. Instead, her Ultimate Darkness Wings spread.

"Ultimate Darkness Straight Line!"

She shot a line of fire right towards the Hell White Tiger. But the Golden Saint Dragon Luo San Pao flew over and blocked the attack.

"Break wind like striking thunder, rumble the heavens and split the earth Luo San Pao!"

A powerful shock-wave rippled out over the battlefield, nearly knocking Ru Shenqi out of the air. Ning Rongrong's Nine Treasure Glazed Tile Pagoda Spirit Avatar appeared, and she boosted the two armies. The Arcana Douluo appeared at Ru Shenqi's side.

"Holy Maiden, Supreme Pontiff and Elder Xie are almost recovered. I'll help you stall for time."

"Alright."

Her eyes flickered with sadness. How have things come to this? In all my years growing up, I never expected I'd be forced to join Spirit Empire one day.

<><><>

On the south side of the Continent, the Shrek Six Tyrants searched for the Gilded Strings. They listened for rumors, asked locals, and went to auction houses. But everywhere they went, they had no luck.

After three weeks, the six began to grow discouraged. When they were sitting in a restaurant, and Gu Xingyun had gone to order more food, Liao Suyin took the chance to speak freely.

"I wonder how things are back at Liuying Gorge."

Fang Youyou patted her shoulder. "We have to believe in Xiao Shen. She has too many grudges against Spirit Empire, she didn't join them out of the desire to. Yong and Senior Xiao Wu are probably right. She left so Xingyun wouldn't fall in love with her again. If he remembers the past, then every sacrifice she made will be in vain."

Shu Jiaxiang nodded. "I don't think Xiao Shen would truly help the Supreme Pontiff. There's no way she'd act against our Seniors and Teachers. Even still, we have no chance of standing up to her at our current ranks."

Fang Youyou and the Triple Beauties had finally reached the eighty-sixth rank during their time searching. Gu Xingyun could feel that the ninety-seventh rank was still very far away.

Ming Yong sighed sadly. "Xiao Shen has had to suffer much more than the rest of us. We can only make conjectures about her thoughts anymore."

Just then, a scout from the Speed Hall of Tang Sect zipped into the restaurant. He leaned down and whispered something in Bai Shanxin's ear. Her eyes widened. When the message had been relayed, she nodded.

"I got it."

The disciple bowed and left just as quickly as he had come. The others leaned in closer. "Shanxin, what is it?"

Gu Xingyun was just returning to the table as tears welled in her eyes. "Xiao Shen... she-"

Fang Youyou frowned and wrapped an arm around his lover. "What did the scout say? What news is there about Xiao Shen?"

"She regained her divine Gods rings and God power two weeks ago. She- she really went against the two Empires."

The others gaped. Confused, Gu Xingyun frowned. "Why do you guys seem so upset? Wasn't this obvious? She tricked us into bringing her back! Everyone from Spirit Empire are up to no good and should be killed."

Liao Suyin choked back a sob. Ming Yong rubbed his temples. Shu Jiaxiang sighed sadly. Fang Youyou hung his head.

Bai Shanxin shook her head. "Head Flamen... Ru Shenqi. Holy Maiden... Ru Shenqi. Goddess of Nine Stars... Ru Shenqi. Even Grandpa Niu and his Defense Hall of the Tang Sect couldn't defend against her nine stars. With one attack, she killed over ten thousand soldiers from the joint Empires' army."

The Shrek Five Tyrants couldn't believe what they were hearing. Ming Yong closed his eyes and swallowed.

Xiao Shen... what are you really up to? Do you really intend to ally with Spirit Empire now just because of what happened with Xingyun? Didn't you say we'd always be the Shrek Seven Tyrants? Where's our bold Little God Captain now?

Gu Xingyun's hands clenched into fists. This girl seems troublesome. How are we supposed to defeat Spirit Empire when they have such an untouchable person in their ranks? We need to get Yong his Gilded Strings so we can return to Liuying Gorge.

He stood. "We shouldn't idle any longer. We bombed out in the South, so let's try the West. The sooner Yong becomes the God of Music, the sooner we have one more God on our side."

What the other five began to question was whether their Little God was on their side anymore. But of course, no one knew what was going on in Ru Shenqi's mind. They finished their meal quickly and departed from the little village.

After four hours of travelling, they finally passed through Divine Spirit Village, the birthplace of their Senior Tang San. Settling in a small inn for the night, they all went to cultivate. But in the end, only Gu Xingyun cultivated throughout the night. The other five gathered at a round table downstairs.

"Shanxin," Liao Suyin began. "Did Xiao Shen really..."

Bai Shanxin nodded slowly. "The disciple saw it himself. Xiao Shen used her Thirty Six Star Prison. It seems her spirit power advanced while she was lacking in divine power."

"What do you mean?" Fang Youyou asked.

"Xiao Shen is now a one hundred and eleventh ranked Second Class God."

The others shivered. Ming Yong sighed, "Grandmaster once said that our potential will be stimulated under pressure or at the risk of our lives. Recently, Xiao Shen has experienced both. It's no wonder that when she got her divine God rings and her Godly powers back that her spirit power increased exponentially as well."

Shu Jiaxiang bit her lip. "I just had a thought. What if Spirit Empire is in possession of the Gilded Strings and Xiao Shen somehow knew it? Why else would she attack our own troops? Unless she has to gain the trust of the Golden Generation and the remaining Third, Fourth, and Fifth Flamens."

Fang Youyou, Liao Suyin, Bai Shanxin, and Ming Yong all pondered her words. What if that really is what she's after?

<><><>

Back at Liuying Gorge, the Shrek Seven Devils and the Golden Iron Triangle met with Xue Beng, Ning Fengzhi, Chen Xin, Gu Rong, and the Star Luo Emperor.

Xue Beng pinched the bridge of his nose. "I never would've thought we'd have to be battling the Goddess of Nine Stars again."

The Star Luo Emperor growled. "That girl is nothing but a liar. Mubai, I know you vouched for her but look what she's done! She's gone and become Spirit Empire's Holy Maiden, its next heir!"

At that moment, Tang San had a thought. "What if that's the position she was aiming for?"

"Xiao San, what are you thinking?"

"Laoshi, Xiao Shen's strategies are no less than mine. If she can coerce the Golden Generation into an unfavorable position by pretending to be on their side and gaining their support, then what if she's planning to bring to bring them down from the inside? If she leads them to their deaths... she'll become the next Supreme Pontiff. As such, her word is then law. All spirit masters under Spirit Empire will have to obey her. Should the Golden Generation die, she can dismantle Spirit Empire with one order."

Yu Xiaogang analyzed his words. Liu Erlong hung onto his arm. "Xiaogang...?"

"Xiao San, you may be right."

Tang San turned in the direction facing Liuying Fortress. "I can only hope I am. After all the grievances she has with Spirit Empire, I can't believe she doesn't have some sort of plan to topple them."

<><><>

Ru Shenqi wandered Liuying Fortress. Sadness filled her eyes as she looked down at her shaking hands.

I wonder if everyone hates me now. After all, I've betrayed them at the most crucial time. And Xingyun... surely the news of this most recent battle has reached my friends by now. How can he love me if he hates me?

She returned to her room and stood out on the balcony overlooking the gorge. Gazing up at the multitude of stars in the sky, she sighed.

"Gods in the Divine Realm, if you can hear me, then please fulfill one request of mine."

Silence.

She swallowed and took a deep breath. "Anyone but the Rakshasa God. Xingyun is deserving of becoming a God, he just needs the right God to choose him. Please, let him become a God."

Tears slipped down her cheeks as she closed her eyes and bowed her head in prayer. Xingyun, this really is the last thing I can do for you. From the moment you drank Sect Leader's Five Flavors Soup of Oblivion, our paths diverged. We're not destined to be together. I will always remember you and love you, but the next time we meet, it'll be a battle of life and death.

2