Chapter 68: Daybreak (4)
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This is endless.

No matter how many avatars I made, the final disaster had more undead, and it knew it, too. However, I was struggling to reach the 4th grade undead who was guarding the final disaster, not to mention the final disaster themselves.

What can I do?

Time was ticking, and my anxiety was mounting.

However, thankfully, at this point, some of the other incarnations also awoke from their stupor.

"Iris, Selena, go help her. We need to create a path. Everyone else, let's focus on the undead before us." Anna Croft began to command the hundreds of incarnations under her banner. "Assume positions as we discussed!"

Anna Croft knew that if night fell, then there really would be no hope left.

With a war cry, the incarnations gathered up as orderly as they could, and charged into the infinity replenishing undead army, even as their limbs still trembled from the earlier terror.

"Goo! Tanks, make sure not to become surrounded!"

"Over here! Restrain the enemy, administer treatment!"

"Watch out! Avian creatures at your 1 o'clock!"

The sounds of gunshots, clashing of metal, and explosions soon rang out alongside the screeches and roars of the undead.

Yanking my arm back, I kicked out, trying to use a burst of strength to give myself room to find a path through the dense crowd of undead.

However, just then-

-Crackle, boom, crash!-

Purple lightning snaked across the undead, immobilizing them, as winds swept through their bodies and carried them aloft, before strong bolts of lightning crashed down from the sky, turning the undead to ash.

"Go, we'll clear the path for you!"

Selena Kim and Iris had arrived.

Nodding to them briefly, no further exchanges of dialogue were made as we began our rush toward the final disaster.

With reduced pressure, I was able to advance across the stretches of the broken ground with increased quickness.

However, how could the higher leveled 5th grade undead let us pass that easily?

"Grrww!" The 5th grade undead were pointing at us, growling with a hidden command.

They were closing in for the hunt.

"Tsk!" Iris clicked her tongue, readying her newly learned skill to restrain them.

However, my avatars had also caught up, also from the lessening of pressure of undead.

A stalling mechanism in place, Selena, Iris and I swept through the lower grade undead with heightened urgency and swiftness in our advancement.

With an overwhelming number, my avatars leapt toward the 5th grade undead that were rapidly approaching our location, but...

[Your Avatar has been destroyed! 0.005% memories have been lost!]

[Your Avatar has been destroyed! 0.005% memories...!]

[Your Avatar...!]

They were struggling to hold on for a few minutes before being destroyed as we tried to keep running.

That was when we finally entered the range of the 4th grade undead.

With howls from a myriad of voices making up the monster's body, it served as a mental attack on our psyche.

[The skill, 'Mental Fortitude lv. 5' is activated!]

Thankfully, my skill waved off most of the effects, but Iris and Selena were affected, their faces turning pale as they struggled to move their suddenly uncoordinated limbs.

It was at that moment that the wind buffeted our faces as a shadow rapidly approached our figures.

Finally snapping out of it, Iris gritted her teeth and enveloped us in a cocoon of wind, whisking up away from the area.

-BAMM!-

A palm slammed the ground where we once were, bringing with it waves of tremors as the ground underneath it cracked.

It was with certain fact that if we were hit, then we would die on the spot.

However, we didn't have the luxury to brood over the grim scrape with our lives as the hand made up of countless corpses kept coming down with surprising agility that caused us to narrowly dodge with every strike.

Over the howling wind generated from each ferocious strike from the 4th grade monster, I attempted to scream out the words,

"Iris, how far up...can you...take...us!"

Concentrating all she could on dodging, Iris did not answer my call, instead using her actions to rapidly ascend as the sight of devastation around us whirled rapidly until we finally burst up to the location of the final disaster, from the sky looking at it from between the fingers.

Finally face-to-face, I looked into the final disaster's eyes and he looked into mine, a sneer upon his face, and my heart stopped in my chest.

Instinctively, I turned my head to the side, but it was too late.

The other palm of the 4th undead monster approached to grab us, too close to dodge. Iris's pupils constricted in fear as she gave a soundless howl and attempted to get us out of range, but from the current trajectory, we could not escape the palm.

In the critical moment, I felt a strong blow land on my stomach.

With enhanced reflexes, I turned and almost counter-attacked, only finding that the person who dealt the blow was Selena.

In light of my horrified eyes, I saw Selena give me a satisfied, yet fierce smile as the palm overtook her figure. At the last moment of impact, I saw the discharge of violet lightning as Selena gave it her all to wound her enemy.

Why?

A scream without words broke through my lips as I attempted to reach out, but my reaction was already too late.

Falling down, Iris, who had also been kicked by Selena to escape the hit, finally regained her wits and cushioned our fall using her skill.

My eyelashes shook as my face turned chalk white.

Chaotic sharp thoughts flitted by my mind, unable to be caught.

Why did she? Selena is? Why?

"Snap out of it!" Iris berated upon seeing my blank expression.

She said this, even though I could tell our current mental state mirrored each other.

But Iris was right.

I didn't have the luxury to let these thoughts and feelings consume me on the battlefield.

In midst of my confusion, the other undead were closing in, blocking a means of retreat. They stopped a distance away, forming a barrier.

The 4th grade's undead's hand spasmed with violet electricity, but it did not impede its movement too much. Up above, the final disaster watched the happenings with a smirk on its face.

Come to think of it, why hasn't the 4th grade undead moved from that spot?

If it did, no one would be able to resist, and things would already be over.

I felt like I encountered a clue, even if it hadn't fully formed yet.

My body snapped upwards as I forced myself onto my feet from my knees.

"Iris, you go back." I said this, even if I was trembling and my stomach was flipping.

This fear was debilitating. I wish I never felt fear.

[The skill, 'Mental Fortitude lv. 5' is failing to stabilize your mind.]

"Huuuh? What? Then how will you get up there without my help?" Iris's incredulous voice came out.

"Do you want to go there?" I gestured to the abominable death trap monster where Selena has perished.

Iris looked at where I was pointing, her face becoming more pale than it already was. Although she shuddered, Iris gulped and replied,

"I-I can go with you."

I don't want that. I don't want to-

[The skill, 'Mental Fortitude lv. 5' is attempting to stabilize your mind.]

Forcing myself to inhale and exhale, I felt like I had regained a piece of calmness.

[Skill, 'Avatar lv. MAX' has been activated.]

If that is the case, then let me forget it all.

A shivering and pale-faced version of me had appeared.

"Then take care of me."

"HUH?" Iris looked at the sudden appearance of another 'me' in surprise.

-Chutchut-

A spark erupted and faded across my shoulder. Giving Iris a half-hearted salute, I ran off, leaving her behind.

-Tap tap tap-

Run.

If there was no way backward, then let's go forward.

With reckless abandon, I charged once more toward the 4th grade undead monster, 'Frankenstein'. As the saying goes, a newborn fawn is not afraid of the tiger.

For now, I no longer have any 'fear'.

I made sure to give away many memories of what transpired to the avatar I had made. 

Sure, I still had a foggy recollection that 'something had transpired', but now I wondered,

Why was I afraid in the first place?

Without the memory, I had muffled the deep rooted 'fear' that has come with it.

Of course, this was potentially dangerous, because now I was charging in blind. However, it was a much better situation than earlier.

[Skill, 'Dynamic Vision lv. 5' is activating to its limits!]

[Skill, 'Enhanced Reflexes lv. 5' is activating to its limits!]

I ran, and kept running.

-WHOOSH-

The massive wind buffeted my side as a shadow rapidly expanded over my figure. Blood roared in my ears as adrenaline flared.

I gritted my teeth and instantaneously braked in place, pivoted and exploded backwards. My tendons screamed in protest at the strain, and the hand that had tried to slam me into the ground narrowly missed.

-Ka-ka-boom!-

The earth cracked and crumbled, small pellets of debris pelting my body as the air sent me tumbling back. 

But without giving myself time to recover, I picked myself up and began running again.

Faster. I have to get there.

The hand was coming back again.

-Ba-boom!-

Throwing my body out of the way, I rolled across the ground.

-Crack, bam!-

My lungs were burning, and my vision was blacking as I forced myself to keep moving.

-Slam!-

I wanted to stop and breathe.

-Boom!-

But that would mean death.

-Ka-bam!-

One time, I was not lucky enough to fully evade.

-Shhh-bam!-

Pain erupted from the skin-contact. It was just a slight touch, just a scrape, but half of my body felt like it was on fire. 

I flew out as a result of the impact.

"-Cough!-" The wind was knocked out of me as I impacted onto the ground. Thankfully, my physique was at a high enough level that none of my bones broke when I hit the ground.

My ears were ringing and my vision grew dark around the edges. My thoughts ran from the pain to a single-minded command.

Get up!

"Ugh!"

I tried to push myself up with my arms, but my right arm crumpled from the sharp pain.

It looked like my right arm was compromised. I tried not to look at how mangled it would be right now.

Thankfully though, it appeared I could still move. I was also thankful for the fact that I was just out of the range of the hand after being thrown this far out.

If not, it would have attacked by now.

"-Hack, hack, cough-" There was the taste of rust in my mouth.

I coughed up strings of saliva and blood, breath ragged, but did not bother wiping it away.

There was probably some hemorrhage.

[It's been detected that you are at a critical state.]

[Skill, 'Dragon's Berserk Rage lv. 3' has been activated!]

[All stats have received a 2.0x multiplier!]

[You will feel a decreased sensation of fear and pain.]

[Time left for skill to be in effect: 3 minutes.]

Right. This broken skill at the early stage of the scenarios that only activates when you are at the verge of death. I had gotten it at the Seoul Museum but never had a chance to use it until this point. The reason, obviously, was that I never particularly fell into any state close to death after obtaining it.

At level 1, it had been only 1 minute. Now, at level 3, it was 3 minutes.

The time for it to be active was still too short in my opinion though.

[Strength lv. 30 --> Strength lv. 60]

[Physique lv. 20 --> physique lv. 40]

[Agility lv. 50 --> Agility lv. 100]

[Mana lv. ? --> Mana lv. ?]

[Congratulations for reaching 'Agility lv. 100'!]

[You have received 10 000 coins as a reward.]

My level 40 physique was still not enough for this.

"Invest all coins into physique."

[Physique lv. 20 (original) --> physique lv. 40 (leveled up) --> physique lv. 80 (skill boosted)]

[You have used 11 000 coins.]

[Coins remaining: 300]

I instantly felt moving to be easier.

There wasn't any time to waste further if I didn't want to waste this chance.

Like a bullet being fired from a gun, I rushed out from my ground position and instantly covered the distance to the 4th grade undead.

The 4th grade roared through the myriad of mouths it had, mashing together bizarrely. But it couldn't affect me one bit with the combination of my skills.

[Skill, 'Mental Fortitude lv. 5' has blocked the effect.] 

The hand reached out, but it looked a lot slower now.

No, it was because I had gotten faster than it did.

I didn't even need to avoid it.

-bam!-

The palm had landed behind me as I ran in a straight line. 

Crouching down, the concrete beneath me cracked from the force of my legs as I leapt upwards. When I reached the end of my ascent I dug my foot into the flesh and limbs of the grade four undead and traversed vertically rapidly.

Wherever I stepped bloomed dark ether from the small wounds I inflicted.

-Screeech!-

Ear-splitting screams of undead birds, insects and bats rang out in my ears as they swooped and gathered around my position, attempting to throw me off.

However, they weren't able to pierce through my skin, nor generate enough force to push me off.

The hand of the 4th grade undead tried to throw me off, but missed each time.

Instead, I increased my speed.

[Time left for skill to be in effect: 2 minutes, 15 seconds.]

-squelch-

I finally made it onto the massive palm of the undead while being harassed by the flying undead. The body of the 4th grade undead was ridiculously too large.

In a final bid of time, a figure stood before the final disaster who watched my every movement with wary eyes.

"Hah..." I snorted, an unidentifiable feeling boiling in my stomach.

"If you attack, you'll also be harming the body of your friend. You wouldn't want that, would you?" A voice of false bravado came from behind the figure.

The bloodied corpse of Selena Kim stood in-front of me.

Her expression was slack, and her eyes were dyed pitch black. A low threatening roar howled out from her throat as she faced me.

[Time left for skill to be in effect: 1 minute, 10 seconds.]

It was not time for a talk.

I ran forward and appeared in-front of Selena in an instant. Raising my hand, I looked into the face of the person I once knew.

Even though I knew that I shouldn't hesitate, I still did.

As if the world spun in slow motion, I watched as the final disaster took a step back in fear.

Selena attempted to scratch me with her newly developed claws, but they harmlessly slid off my body.

I punted her out of the way and grabbed onto the final disaster's throat-

-And fell off the palm raised up high from the 4th grade undead.

"NOOOOO!" A scream erupted from the final disaster's throat as the 4th grade undead began to crumble apart, unraveling into the separate bodies and limbs of numerous corpses.

They began to rain down along with our fall. It appeared that the final disaster acted as an anchor of some sort, standing on that palm for a purpose.

The wind howled and whipped at my clothes, and the view of Washinton DC from up high was reflected in my eyes, along with the final disaster wearing Eun HaNa's face.

My hand tightened around the final disaster's neck as they began to choke, but I still couldn't bring myself to snap it.

[Time left for skill to be in effect: 50 seconds.]

I was hesitating.

This is not Eun HaNa. I whispered in my mind. Kill the disaster and end it.

But for some inexplicable reason, I still could not snap his neck.

[Time left for skill to be in effect: 30 seconds.]

Well, there was no way he could live from falling from this height.

I wouldn't be able to either. From the rate at which we were falling, the skill would run out of time before I hit the ground, and this body wouldn't live.

[Time left for skill to be in effect: 10 seconds.]

My heart began to pound and my mind reeled as the ground approached ever closer.

Not yet. Just a little more.

[Skill, 'Dragon's Berserk Rage lv. 3' has been deactivated.]

[You won't be able to activate the skill a second time in your current state.]

A spell of weakness came over me as I almost fainted, but the exhilarating fall brought me to wakefulness.

Fudge, the ground-

Waiting no longer, I activated a switch.

[Transferring consciousness to the next 'Avatar' body.]

Who came up with the concept of a 'main body' anyway?

A/N: I wanted to write so bad, but it was a busy week. My technical report is 5 000 words and I'm going insane...

 By the way, it snowed on Kim Dokja's birthday from where I was from.

1