Chapter 69: Daybreak (5)
43 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[You have successfully transferred your consciousness.]

I shook my head in a daze. My body was unceremoniously collapsed on the ground in an uncomfortable position.

Groaning, I propped myself up a bit.

"Wha-you!" Flustered, Iris was peering down at my face. "What's going on with you?"

Right. I had just fallen off with the final disaster. My left hand reached to my right arm and squeezed the unharmed version.

It was strange to be in a body that suddenly wasn't wounded, but it was still my body.

It's over.

I felt myself instantly relax with those words as I sighed.

"Hey, stop lying down! There are still the undead around!" Iris snapped with an upset expression.

It was only then that the howls and screeches of the undead registered in my mind.

Wait.

What?

My heart skipped a beat.

If I had taken down the final disaster, shouldn't the undead that was created by it disappear? Or were they the type to continue to exist after the creator was gone, and we were required to subjugate them?

But shouldn't there be a scenario for that? I mused, until something else was brought to attention.

The scenario-!

[Main Scenario #5: Subjugate the Final Disaster.]

Category: Main

Difficulty: A~S

Description: The final disaster, 'Boy summoned to another world', has been discovered in the Washington DC dome before the time limit had run out. Therefore, the final disaster is in a weakened state. Kill the final disaster before the time limit runs out and they regain their full strength, and clear the 5th main scenario!

Time limit: --

Reward: 100 000 coins, ???

Failure: Death to all in the Washington DC dome.

*note: The final disaster will grow in strength when night falls. It is advised to kill them before then.

+

[Time before the final disaster regains their full strength: 28 hours.]

Chills crept down my spine.

Why hasn't it concluded yet?

[An error in the scenario has occurred.]

I turned around and looked across the ground littered with smashed limbs and corpses that had made up the 4th grade undead that stayed unmoving.

Using the relative position that I was sure the final disaster had fallen in, I made my way over, tamping my disgust at all the mangled flesh I was stepping over.

I tried to stay clear of the cracks in the ground and the large gaping hole that the grade 4 undead had emerged from, wary of any possible ambushes from undead still hiding within its depths. A psychological fear of the past 4th grade undead still permeated my stomach from merging with the avatar.

"Where are you going?" Iris felt exasperated by my behavior.

I didn't answer.

There was something more important than that that was consuming my mind.

The undead above flapped their wings and circled around after the fall of the grade 4 undead, but thankfully didn't approach.

As I walked, a familiar piece of clothing filled my vision.

Pushing off the empty husk of a body that I harbored just moments prior, I looked down and confirmed the final disaster's death.

My hand touched the still wet blood as I attempted to take the final disaster's pulse. It was silent under my hand, no trembling pulse like a fawn attempting to prounce around.

There was no heartbeat, no breathing. The expression the boy had before death was a mouth and eyes wide open, pupils still, screaming in horror.

I was puzzled.

The final disaster was dead.

So why...

[An error in the scenario has occurred.]

[Reviewing.]

A terrible, revolting premonition spun itself in the core of my being. I backed away, and the blood that had stained my fingers and shoes had turned a purest black.

It wasn't just the blood on my fingers and shoes.

The pool of blood splattered over the ground from the final disaster had turned black and was rising upward in a bizarre sight.

[The scenario is being adjusted.]

Wherever the blackened blood touched the sky, it began to dye it in the same shade.

A false darkness blanketed nearly all light, leaving the surroundings unbearably dim.

There was no sun, no stars, and no moon in this domain.

[The constellation, 'Secretive Plotter' says that you should have killed that boy earlier.]

['Sorrowful Heart of Silver' is concerned for the next series of events.]

I read the notifications and bit my lips.

Through the darkness, the brightness of the scenario screen appeared especially bright.

[The Main Scenario has been updated!]

My eyes adjusted to the exceedingly dim lighting.

[Main Scenario #5: Subjugate the Final Disaster.]

Category: Main

Difficulty: SS

Description: The final disaster, 'Boy summoned to another world', has been revived as an undead. Under the cover of 'false night' they have temporarily regained their strength. Break through the 'false night' and subjugate the final disaster!

Time limit: --

Reward: 200 000 coins, ???

Failure: Death to all in the Washington DC dome.

*Warning. Under the effects of 'false night', the strength of all undead in the area have been increased.

+

-Crack-

I turned my head quickly to the source of the sound.

What?

Under my horrified eyes as they adjusted to the dim lighting brought about from the scenario window, I watched as the re-animated corpse of the final disaster stiffly stood back up. The broken bones rang out, 'kalakala' as they realigned themselves in the body.

No way.

Snapping myself out of my stupor, I lunged forward. Before the final disaster recovers, I must end it.

The skin melded back over until no blemish remained.

[Skill, 'Dispel Evil lv. 4' has activated.]

I reached for the dagger that was on my previous body and pierced forward in a stab, but a hand had caught my wrist.

A cold, numbing sensation filled my body from the place of contact. I felt like I had fallen into an ice-cold lake.

Perhaps it was because it was fresh from death, but the boy that stood before me did not look any different from when he was alive.

The final disaster raised its head and smiled.

"Noona, thank you for killing me."

['Sorrowful Heart of Silver' is warning you--!]

I instantly reacted and tried to punch out with my other hand, but it was easily caught by the other part.

Their head instantly surged forward as I leaned backward reflexively, but teeth had latched onto my throat.

Tears swam in my eyes as I heard the sickening crunch of my throat being crushed.

-CRUNCH!-

I screamed out, but soon my throat became torn, and I could no longer speak. Fear and pain ran rampant in my mind.

What was happening? Everything was changing too quickly. Everything-

There was just so much blood pouring out of my throat. It was just a quiet, terrifying wonder of how a human being could bleed so much.

[Skill, 'Mental Fortitude lv. 5' is being activated.]

[Skill, 'Mental Fortitude lv. 5' is failing to stabilize your mind.]

Run. Run. Run. RunRunRunRun-

[It's detected that you are in a critical state.]

[Skill, 'Dragon's Berserk Rage lv. 3' -]

Blood gurgled out of my lips and I ran away the way I could.

I was hypocritical. It wasn't that long ago that I felt like it was okay if I never existed in the first place.

But I still feared death.

It was an instinct all humans had engraved deep within the marrow of their bones.

[Transferring consciousness to the next 'Avatar' body.]

[You have successfully transferred your consciousness.]

I blinked open my eyes in my new body, and my hands instantly flew to my throat.

"Gasp!" I harshly breathed in and felt the intact skin, goosebumps breaking out across my arm.

A new 7th grade undead kicked my body and I flew backward as a result, but I was unharmed. It was only then that I realized I had left Iris behind.

Half-heartedly pushing back the swarm of undead near me, I tried to capture the figure of Iris through the near-darkness.

Please be alive-!

Instead, I had locked gazes with the monstrosity, the final disaster's ominously glowing eyes, from the far away distance, the space between us filled with the countless waving figures of the undead.

"Hik!" I hiccupped, and my mind played the fresh memory in my mind.

I even had the illusion that the skin under my throat was actually torn, and blood was flowing out. The phantom sensations of pain, blood and fear crawled underneath my nerves as fresh tears filled my vision.

Snapping my head away, I broke eye contact.

It saw me. It's coming after me.

I regret it. My unstable mind played out a thought I should never have thought of. I should have killed it when I found it, before it got time to get stronger.

With fear still plaguing my mind, I looked back to check the position of the final disaster-

-only to find it gone.

I cut through the 7th grade undead around me frantically even as 6th grade undead impeded my path. However, fresh cuts and deep bruises were quickly being added to the repertoire of wounds.

Run. Run. Run.

It is true that fear addles the mind and causes people to underperform.

Even through the throbbing, burning sensations of pain, I didn't dare to stop.

Then, the moment I dreaded the most arrived. It appeared.

"Noona~" The voice playfully drawled out.

I felt like my heart was exploding out of my chest as it roared with thick adrenaline.

[Transferring consciousness to the next 'Avatar' body.]

Before my vision collapsed away, there had been fingers hovering just above my eyelids.

I'm scared. I'm scared.

[You have successfully transferred your consciousness.]

[Your Avatar has been destroyed! 0.005% of memories have been lost!]

In my new body, I tottered on my feet, and the intense desire to hurl welled up inside me, the bile causing my saliva to taste sour.

I don't want to be here.

Please save me.

[The skill, 'Mental Fortitude lv. 5' is activated.]

[The skill, 'Mental Fortitude lv. 5' has leveled up to 'Mental Fortitude lv. 6'.]

The nausea became a bit more bearable.

"When did you get here?!" An unrefined voice caused me to turn in the direction of the source.

The familiar face of Jung Youngho greeted my view as his halberd dispatched undead. However, I could tell Jung Youngho was struggling a bit in the dark.

He must have been fighting with one of my 'lumps of clay' avatars with no discernable features before I appeared in it.

"Jung Youngho-ahjussi, I..."

Before I could get my words out, Jung Youngho's eyes widened as he crossed the short distance and swept his halberd over my head, knocking a pouncing undead out of the way.

A whimper erupted from my lips as I reflexively covered my head.

Anyone who caught sight of me would know that my mental state was not quite right.

"What's the matter with you?" Jung Youngho frowned.

I just stared at him.

"Noona..."

The voice thinned out by distance drifted to my ears, and I froze, frantically looking around in vain over the bobbing heads of the undead disappearing into darkness.

-step, step, step-

Each step was excruciatingly loud in my ears amidst the myriad of other noises.

I noticed the undead parting the way to the side, as if they were welcoming their king.

From a blurry figure brought about by the dim lighting, it stepped ever closer, as the final disaster became more clear by each of those steps.

Several objects were being held in their hands.

No, they were bodies and limbs being dragged behind it.

Since when?

[Your Avatar has been destroyed! 0.005% of memories have been lost!]

Since when had I stopped paying attention to these notifications?

[Your Avatar has been destroyed! 0.005% of memories have been lost!]

The final disaster, [Sovereign of the dead], [Lord of Eternal Unrest], [Darkness Incarnate], or [Bane of Spirits] had been hunting after my avatars.

Jung Youngho paused.

"Eun HaNa..."

"That boy no longer exists." The final disaster interrupted. "Anyways, on the account that you helped me before, I won't harm you for now. My business is with that noona behind you."

The final disaster then had the audacity to smile and wave at me, "Isn't that right? Noona."

I shuddered.

However, Jung Youngho did not move.

He clenched the halberd until his knuckles turned white as he spat out, "Is this how you should speak to your elders?"

The final disaster was not amused, placing a hand on its forehead, sighing, "I'm not in the mood for this. Just move aside, okay, ahjussi?"

It was sickening how he spoke the last sentence just like how Eun HaNa had.

"No. You should learn about respect, young man." Jung Youngho's stern expression was filled with the fire of anger.

I wondered.

How can you still display an expression like this in-front of that monstrosity?

"Haah..." I flinched as the final disaster sighed. "Have it your way then."

The final disaster brought their finger to their cheek and smiled.

It then rushed over before any of us could respond, their hand placed over Jung Youngho's chest.

However, the final disaster had not pierced their hand through Jung Youngho's chest, despite having the perfect chance to.

Instead, a puzzled expression rested on the final disaster's face. The final disaster's mouth was parted in a fashion where it soundlessly attempted to ask a singular word.

Suddenly, the final disaster's face twisted. Its hand trembled and slowly removed itself from Jung Youngho.

We were stunned by the sudden change of the situation.

Words were finally being emitted by the final disaster's mouth,

"You...dare..."

"Don't hurt ahjussi." These words were spoken from the same body, but they still sounded like they belonged to separate people.

"Eun HaNa?" Jung Youngho's incredulous voice shook, and a hint of disbelieving delight seeped into his tone.

I watched the two figures in-front of me, one big, and one small, and felt something familiar about the situation.

It was an inexplicable feeling of having gone through the same situation, despite never encountering it before.

Deja vu.

A/N: First of all, funny number yes. 

Anyways, I wonder if I took it (fear) too far in this chapter?

And finally, cliche time, Eun HaNa's dormant consciousness has been there this whole time?!

0