Chapter 24- The Incident
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the time before the sun rose, Etrius was already out of the house and in the forest. In the non-light of a new moon, Etrius moved deep in the forest away from the town. Though it wasn’t on the job yet, there were movements in the crawling shadows. A wind blew through the trees, but it wasn’t a natural one. Through the trees, Etrius saw arcs of electricity weaving through the trees. Following them, Etrius was joined by whispers in the forest. They called out, but not to it. It wasn’t friendly, nor was it hostile. It was almost singing, no. Chanting. Whatever they were saying, Etrius wasn’t concerned.

Stopping in a clearing, the arcs of electricity came together before it. Suddenly a doorway appeared and a cold light shone across Etrius. It’s gray tendrils drew away and a set of its eyes moved to the surface. A warm amber light shone out from its hood onto the white mask hiding its face. With its form ever shaping but unmoving, several black arrows were pulled from the quiver, an oil-like substance moving along the surface.

As the doorway solidified, it became a long hallway. Humanoid figures could be seen on the other side. Each one of them held some sort of metal tool in their hands. As they took a step forward, Etrius slew them. The black arrows appeared in their chests and the oil quickly spread. As they fell and before they could scream crystalline spears shot out of their bodies, holding them in place as their skin and bone cracked.

The cold light began to flash red and a mechanical alarm sounded out. Pulling at the frame of the doorway, Etrius pulled itself in the hall. Drawing near to the end of the halls, Etrius reached out to pull the spindly gray system that emerged from the cracking bodies. Upon touching them, Etrius realized many things. They were humans, they wielded guns, and they were in a way more advanced than the humans that Etrius knew. They opened up a gateway between worlds. “Project Acer” they called it.

Pulling a communication device that one of the men had, Etrius inserted a part of itself into it. Encrypted communications connected to a close circuit network. That wasn’t right. Looking up, Etrius spied through the metal flooring of the warship it was in, a geostationary satellite above the south pacific. Taking control, Etrius quickly spread itself into the command center and across many unsecured devices across the hemisphere and then the planet. With billions of devices, Etrius spread its reach into each corner of the world that technology touched.

These humans, they were involved in a conflict with humans on their own side. In theory they were on the same side. They were involved in a reckless action in a land known as Alaska and killed some nonhuman entities, one of which held a striking resemblance to Abby.

Digging further, and with the help of the shadows, Etrius realized that it WAS Abby. They hurt Abby. Not just hurt her, but killed her. If it was not for the actions of the shadows, Abby would have been lost. That was their mistake. Abby belonged to Etrius. Their actions may have brought her to it, but she always belonged to Etrius. For that, they would die.

Reaching through the shadows, Etrius found them. Every person directly involved in the attack. In three damaged surface ships and one submarine, Etrius found them. Within the blink of an eye, Etrius was upon them. Hands, many hands reaching into them pulled nerves from flesh. Like puppets whose strings were cut, they simply fell over. No resistance, no sign of alarm. The last thing that they knew, or at least some of them, was them learning of a situation aboard this ship.

Many names, memories of these people became one with Etrius. Though it couldn’t personally take those that killed Abby, as they had already been killed in Alaska, it took what revenge it could. With that, Etrius took its leave. Its many hands pulled at the doorway, forcing it to collapse in on itself. As the light disappeared, what was visible of Etrius’ form vanished. The six amber lights were pulled back behind the mask. With its business now done, Etrius headed back to town. Only now it was armed with some of the best fishing spots in Germany.

Feeling a cold breeze my eyes shot open. The room was dark, not that that was unusual for this time. Looking out the window, I saw that the sun had yet to rise. There were no clocks so I couldn’t say for certain what time it was, but it was probably some time in the early morning.

With some trouble, I rolled from my back to my side, throwing off my blanket in the process. With my clumsy hands I reached for the necklace Dad gave me. Though it was a hassle, I managed to remove it easier than last time. That just goes to show that I’m getting more and more used to this disguise. As I pulled the necklace over my head, I felt the feeling in my arms, tail, and antennae return. My movements grew easier, though still were somewhat sloppy. Sitting up, my eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness.

As usual I was in my crib, separate from mom. When I first came here, I wanted to sleep with mom, but that one bossy maid prevented us from doing so. She said that it was dangerous for me. They wanted to put us in separate rooms, but mom managed to convince them to move this crib into here. Thanks to her efforts though, I didn’t have to sleep by myself. Crawling to the bars, I pulled myself up. Or at least I tried. Barely managing to stand up, I fell onto my butt. It didn’t hurt thanks to the bedding I slept on.

Frowning I looked around the room, left with my thoughts. I know that this may sound strange, but I don’t think I’m on Earth. Or at least no part that I’ve ever been before. The main reason I thought that was because of the lack of modern appliances, or even electricity. Not only that but from what I heard from mom and dad’s talks, magic apparently exists here. At least sometimes. Dad could use magic.

Aside from the necklace that gives me a human form, she can apparently talk to animals and read minds. Well, to be truthful, I don’t think that he can actually read minds. More accurately she can read people's intentions. It was probably because he can understand me. Also, it is a bit late to mention this, but they aren't speaking English, and this doesn’t sound like Spanish, so whatever magic brought me to this place also gave me the ability to understand everyone. I don’t know much about magic, but I was thankful for it. I would be dead without it after all.

That being said, I still had many questions about it and I wondered if I could use it as well. I would need to ask dad when she visits.

After brushing my antenna I looked back to mom. She was sleeping soundly, facing me. I wasn’t afraid of her waking up and catching me and my nightly activities. She was a heavy sleeper. She doesn’t even wake up when dad visits. Not only that, but recently her vision has been getting worse. The servants are saying that it is a problem but mom doesn't seem too concerned about it. I wonder why? I could always ask dad, but I would feel guilty calling her at this time at night. He doesn’t seem to mind it, but I don’t want her to overwork himself. I’ll just wait until next time she visits.

After sitting awake for some time, practicing my movement, I heard movement from mom. Looking over I saw her turn over and move closer to the edge of the bed.

 

“Ah!” I let out.

 

As she rolled off, shadows blocked what little light came from outside. Before she hit the floor, her body was suspended in the dark. Lifting her slowly, she was placed back on her bed and covered with her blanket. As the dark moved, I heard a familiar voice.

 

“What are you doing awake at this hour?” Dad asked.

“Da!” I called.

“It’s a bit late to be exercising isn’t it?” Dad said.

 

Feeling a warm hand on my head, I closed my eyes in delight. As the hand moved away, I lifted my hands up, signaling that I wanted to be carried. Luckily dad humored my little request. Being lifted up I opened my eyes to see her face. I smiled and pulled myself closer for a hug. As usual, two of my hands grabbed onto his shirt and my other two did their best to wrap around his neck. Resting my head against her shoulder, I heard the familiar hum of his heart beat.

Moving to the bedside, Dad brushed mom's hair as she held me and patted my back. It was a familiar movement that he did when he wanted me to go to sleep. Jokes on her through, I wasn’t tired in the slightest. Or at least that's what I wanted to believe. Not long after, a yawn escaped my mouth.

 

“I know that it’s troublesome but try and keep your necklace on when you're here.” Dad said.

“Ay.” I agreed.

“It would be annoying if people found out about you.” She said.

“Ay…” I closed my eyes.

“Tired?” He asked.

 

“And whose fault is that?” I thought to myself.

 

“Ay…” I said.

 

Gently dad pulled me away despite my best efforts. Unable to resist, I was lowered into my crib. Opening my eyes, I saw Dad placing the necklace back onto me. Using this opportunity, I grabbed onto her sleeve in hopes that he would stay just a little bit longer.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll be here till you fall asleep.” She comforted me.

“Ba…” I tried to call out to dad, but my speech failed me.

 

Transformed back into my human form I held onto dad as he stroked what little hair I had. Soon enough I was fast asleep.

Some time later, I woke up to knocking on the door. Turning my head I looked at my hand which was deceived into holding my blanket instead of dad. A bit disappointed, I turned to mom, who as I expected, was dead asleep. Having slept through falling off her bed again, she wasn’t about to wake up with some knocking. Using the bars of the crib, I pulled myself into a sitting position and called out to her.

 

“Ma. Mama.” I called out.

“…” As expected, she didn’t move.

 

Seemingly tired of knocking, the door opened to show the strict maid. Zen, if I remember correctly.


“Ba!” I called out, unable to even begin being able to pronounce her name.

“…” Smiling slightly, she gave me a small wave as she walked over to mom’s side

 

Seeing this, she frowned. After thinking for a moment, she sighed and put her hands on the blanket that covered mom. With one swift motion, she pulled it off.

 

“Lady Haywood, you are wasting good daylight.” Zen, the strict maid called out.

“…” Mom didn’t move.

 

Seeing this, Zen sighed.

 

“It’s just getting worse and worse…” She shook her head in disappointment.

“Ba…” I agreed.

“Forgive me Lady Abigail, but would you please assist me?” She asked.

“Ba!” I agreed, feeling I had no choice.

 

Lifting me up, Zen brought me to mom’s side and placed me on her pillow. Reaching out for her, I poke at mom’s face.

 

“Mama.” I said. “Mama.”

“Nuh…” Mom waved her hand to brush my hand away.

“Mama! Mama!” I said, I said putting my whole weight on her. “Mama!”

“Huh…?” She said, slowly lifting her head without opening her eyes. “Abby…?”

“Mama!” I said, hugging her head.

“Sweetheart, what are you- what time is it?” She asked.

“Good morning Lady Haywood.” Zen said.

“Ah Zen…” She yawned. “Am I perhaps late?”

“Not at the moment, no.” Zen said. “Though I do want to tell you to take your time preparing, I suggest you keep it short.”

“Right right…” She said.

“Mama!” I called out.

“Morning baby.” She smiled, kissing my face. “Did you sleep well?”

“Ba!” I said.

 

I wanted to tell her about dad’s visit, but I lacked the words, and she was unable to understand me like dad. As mom lifted herself from bed, Zen picked me back up. Giving her usual command, Zen signaled the maids that waited just outside the room. Within a moment, mom was changed from her pajamas into a robe, and led away to the bathroom with me and Zen following shortly after.

As usual, mom was bathed quickly and once more led away as I was washed by Zen who was the only one aside from mom who was allowed to bathe me. She was probably the only one who could be trusted not to remove my necklace. Even if others tried, I have a strong grip, so I’m sure I could stop them.

 

““Ah.”” Zen and I said.

 

The necklace began to move, and suddenly fell from my neck and into my small bath with a plop. I reverted back into my true form and upon seeing me, Zen froze.

 

““…”” The two of us looked at each other in silence.

1