Chapter – 4.1: The Deputy Headmistress
1.6k 4 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter - 4.1

 

Back at the Orphanage.

 

As soon as they entered the room, Nicole did not even wait to change her clothes when she took her letter from Alexander, eager to read what surprise it stored for her.

 

HOGWARTS SCHOOL

of

WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

 

"That's a bit cringy," Nicole could not help but comment, "They could have gone for something classy."

 

"Can't you just silently go through the letter?" Alexander asked, without looking up from his letter.

 

But Nicole ignored him and continued, "Something like, 'Hogwarts School of Magical Studies,' or 'Hogwarts School of Fantasy,'" Nicole suggested, "It would have been classy as well as more, you know..." With the flow of her hand, Nicole tried to put weight behind what she wanted to say, but her limited vocabulary did not help her.

 

And when Alexander did not seem to care about what she was saying, she continued reading the letter.

 

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorcerer, Chief Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confederation of Wizards )

 

"Holy Mother! Who is this guy? And what's this with so many titles. I don't even understand the meaning of some of them," Nicole had hardly read a few more words when she exclaimed.

 

"It's best if you read the letter first, I will make you understand what it means later," Alexander finally looked up at his sister and said. Even if Nicole was his sister, Alexander did not appreciate her regular interruptions.

 

On hearing her brother, Nicole nodded. That was all for the best.

 

Dear Miss Ashbridge,

 

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. We await your owl by no later than July 31st.

 

Please make your way to Kings Cross station and onto platform 9 3/4 on July 31st, where you will meet the Hogwarts Express. The train departs at 11 am sharp. The term begins on September 2nd.

 

We very much look forward to receiving you as part of the new generation of Hogwarts Heritage.

 

Yours sincerely,

 

Minerva McGonagall,

Deputy Headmistress

 

After Nicole was done reading the letter, she looked at her brother. She was ready to bombard Alexander, who was also done reading his letter and asked, "Now this is some heavy-duty stuff. Brother, do you know anything about these two guys mentioned in the letter, ummm..." Nicole looked at her letter to confirm the names, "Ummm... Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall?"

 

"Well, since I know you, I am sure you won't even want to hear the long story. But don't worry, the shorter version is quite simple as well," Alexander shrugged. But the other thing to notice was the fact that whenever Alexander was with Nicole, he wasn't as restrained as he was with others. His responses were not simple yeses and noes. He took his time explaining it to his sister.

 

"... Both are regarded very highly, maybe the most ingenious wizards and witches of their generation. I am sure you can guess that from their designations. One is the headmaster while the other is the deputy headmistress of the school. And if you want to know more, I can lean you a book where they are talked about in more detail, along with others," Alexander replied as he grabbed the pouch and pulled out all the stuff they bought today.

 

Hearing that she had to read one of those bulky old books she had seen her brother read to know about them, Nicole instantly lost interest. She put the letter aside and pulled the other piece of paper from the envelope. It was a list of the things they needed to buy for their first year at school. As she went through the list, her interest was piqued after almost every other item mentioned in the list.

 

Uniform

 

First-year students will require:

 

  1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
  2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
  3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
  4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

 

Coursebooks

 

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

 

  1. The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
  2. A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
  3. Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
  4. A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
  5. One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
  6. Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
  7. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
  8. The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

 

"That's weird," Nicole spoke as she read through the list of books, "They don't have subjects like science or mathematics here."

 

"What use is science when you have everything at the tip of your wand?" Instead of answering Nicole, Alexander asked.

 

"That's true, but..." Nicole wanted to argue, but it was not easy when she knew nothing about wizards and their world. So giving up on conversing about the educational reforms of the wizarding world, she continued with the list.

 

Other-equipment

 

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set of glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set of brass scales

Students may also bring an owl, a cat or a toad.

 

P.S. PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST-YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS.

 

"Owl, cat... TOAD? Broomstick? I don't know anymore. Somehow I still feel like all of this is a part of some very elaborate prank," Nicole said, throwing the list aside. Then she looked at her brother, who was lying beside her, "It's not that I don't believe you, but every item on the list is weird. Not to mention the fact that where in the world do you think we can buy all these things. That too, without getting attention from "Normal people" you called muggles?" Nicole was still sceptical about all this.

 

"For thousands of years, the wizards have been able to keep themselves hidden from the normal populous of this planet. Do you think they won't have the means to hide a market for themselves?" Alexander suggested.

 

"But they won't sell this stuff in broad daylight, would they?" Nicole hoped to strike the bull's eye at least once.

 

"I am sure if you have the eyes, you will find everything you want in just any street in London. But wizards do have a market for themselves, Diagon Alley." Alexander was more talkative than usual. Maybe he was not saying it, but he was the happiest right now. Now, he won't have to leave his sister behind when he is gone to babysit that kid Potter.

 

"Have you been there?" Hearing about a whole market with something so extraordinary intrigued Nicole, "So when will we go there? Let's go there tomorrow," Nicole was too excited to wait another day. If what her brother showed her today was not a prank, it was simply marvellous.

 

"I have never been there," Alexander shook his head, "But more importantly, do you even have the money to buy anything there?" Alexander teased his sister.

 

"We don't have money? You should have told me that earlier. I would not have spent so much on clothes. Let's return your clothes tomorrow and get a refund," Nicole panicked a bit in the beginning, but she soon came up with a solution to her problem.

* * * * *

64