Chapter – 9.2: Daphne Greengrass & The Brawl (Part-II)
1.3k 3 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter – 9.2

"Master," Alex had seen Professor Snape yesterday during the sorting, but there was no opportunity for Alex to greet him.

 

"Stand up," Professor Snape waved his hands and asked, "I don't want others to know about us." Professor Snape sighed. From the looks of it, he did not seem to enjoy the way Alex greeted him.

 

"Yes, master." Alex complied and got on his feet.

 

"Professor," Professor Snape corrected Alex.

 

"Yes, Mast... I mean, Professor."

 

"So Nicole is here as well? Well, it's not that surprising, but I never thought about it," Professor Snape said.

 

"... Tell her to be at arm's length from that Potter," Professor Snape warned Alex.

 

"Why?" Alex asked. He did not care in the slightest about Potter, but if his sister were to get involved, that would be a different matter.

 

"Many see Potter as a hope," Professor Snape gestured for Alex to sit and said, "For that, his future is filled with dangers. And that is also true for everyone who is around him as well," Professor Snape vaguely explained, "You don't need to know much for now."

 

"I will keep that in mind," Alex nodded. Since the Professor had brought the conversation to an end, Alex could not ask more about it.

 

"Here, this is your class schedule," taking out a piece of parchment from his drawer, Professor Snape extended it towards Alex, "Most of your classes are with Gryffindor," the Professor told Alex.

 

"... Even though your main job is to babysit Potter, while you are here at Hogwarts, don't waste this opportunity," Professor Snape advised Alex, "You might think that I have taught you everything, but let me assure you, you have just scratched the surface."

 

"... For what you want to achieve, the strength you possess right now is not enough," Professor Snape told Alex. But this took Alex by surprise. How could his master know who his enemies are?

 

"How..." Alex wanted to ask, but Professor Snape cut him.

 

"You can leave now," Professor Snape got up from his chair and walked inside, leaving Alex with these words.

 

With nothing more left to do, Alex left Professor Snape's chamber with nothing more unanswered questions in his mind.

 

"I feel drained," Alex whispered, 'The classes aren't going to start till tomorrow. So what should we do today?' Alex thought and turned his gaze towards Erebus, who was sleeping soundly on his shoulder with a tiny piece of that dried beef sticking out of his mouth.

 

'That's one way,' Alex nodded. And with that, the best buddies made their way towards the Slytherin dormitory. And Alex and Erebus spent the rest of the day sleeping in the room, cuddling with one another. It was only in the evening that one of the two listless beings finally woke up.

 

Alex opened his eyes and looked outside the window in his room and it was already dark. And this was also a marvel of magic. Even though the Slytherin dormitories were in a dungeon, the outside view outside his window was pretty genuine. How did they do it? Alex had no idea, but it was worth the applause.

 

So not wasting his time decoding the spell used there, Alex left his bed and, washing his face, made his way to the Great Hall for dinner. The funny thing was that while the first years had already made groups and were interacting with other students, Alex was yet to speak to another soul from the Slytherins, let alone anyone else.

 

So, all alone, Alex entered the Great Hall. Walking towards the Slytherin table, he saw Nicole, along with Potter and others he knew, at the Gryffindor table. Watching Nicole enjoy her dinner with Potter, Alex remembered the warning Professor Snape had given him.

 

'I need to have a conversation with her,' Alex thought and headed toward the Slytherin table. As usual, Alex went and sat at the very last on the Slytherin table, away from as many people as possible. Beside him sat a girl with silver hair.

 

"Hi, I suppose you are a first year," just as Alex was about to take his first bite, the girl beside him spoke, "I am a first year as well, Daphne Greengrass. And you are?" The girl introduced herself.

 

"Alexander Ashbridge," Alex replied, munching his food.

 

"Ashbridge? Which wizarding family is it? I have never heard of the Ashbridges. But I do have heard of the Umbridges, don't tell me you guys are related," the girl said and giggled.

 

"I am not from any," Alex replied, hoping she would stop talking.

 

"Muggle?" Daphne guessed, "Hardly ever a muggle is sorted in Slytherin."

 

"Don't know, maybe," Alex shrugged.

 

"Orphan?" Daphne asked cautiously with a soft voice.

 

"You can say that," still not looking at her, Alex nodded his head, 'I pity these chickens, but they are so good,' Alex had something else going in his head.

 

"Sorry," Hearing Alex, Daphne looked down and immediately apologized.

 

"Why are you sorry," Alex licked his greasy fingers and asked.

 

"I mean... you know... I didn't know," listening to Alex's prompt replies, Daphne didn't even have the time to think it through. All she could do was stammer.

 

"You will find orphans all over the world. How many of them are you going to feel sorry for?" Alex, finally looked at Daphne, "It's not like you killed my parents."

 

Finally, when Daphne got to see Alex's face, she was left mesmerized by his eyes and was at a loss for words. Those grey pupils of his were something she had never seen. But more than that, the coldness with which he talked about his parents sent chills down her spine.

 

"But..." Just as Daphne was bout to continue the conversation, Alex stood up. 

 

"Now, if you would excuse me," Alex told Daphne and walked away from the Slytherin table.

 

Alex did not leave the Great hall. Instead, he headed towards the Gryffindor table and stood behind Nicole.

 

"I need to talk to you," as soon as Nicole turned to look at Alex, getting a nudge from Hermione, Alex spoke, "I will wait for you outside," Alex said and turned around to leave.

 

"Hey... You there, stop right there," Alex had hardly taken a few steps when one of the Gryffindor boys stood up and called out to him.

 

"You are?" Alex turned his face towards the bow and asked.

 

"Seamus Finnigan," the boy replied.

 

"What do you want?" Alex put his hands in his robes and turned completely towards the boy.

 

"Who are you to order her around?" Seamus argued, pointing at Nicole.

 

"And why are you butting between us?" Alex tilted his face and asked.

 

"Because you are a Slytherin. How can you boss around our cute Gryffindor Bella?" The boy put forth the reason he was being nosy.

 

"Gryffindor Bella?"

* * * * *

Announcement

Thanks to my new Patron:

WorldofASH 

You can also read chapters in advance, along with other stories on my Patreon: patreon.com/thelonelyguy

There is going to be a daily update on Patreon this week.

54