Escorting Ziqian to School
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zou Ziqian did accept mum’s invitation and came to our house for dinner almost every evening. Her mum even took several boxes of birds’ nest to show her gratitude for mum’s hospitality. Because of that, mum doubled her efforts on cooking, just the quantity not the quality though. Today, Zou Ziqian arrived on time again for the dinner and sat there playing mobile games with his telephone. The phone rang. This time, he did not hang it up, but answered it.

“Good evening, Miss Lin.” He was quite polite. I could not hear what the did the woman said, but Ziqian replied: “I was home for dinner now. I would go to school tomorrow.” The one on the other hand seemed not believe him and yelled him to pass the phone to parents. Instead of going home, he went to the kitchen and found mum. His hand covered the mic and lowered his voice: Auntie, my head teacher wants to talk to my parents but they are not here today. Could you please help me?” He begged mum with his innocent eyes.

Mother could not say no to him and picked up the phone “Hi”. After that greeting, mum kept apologizing to the woman and the call lasted for about five minutes. Mum got a little bit angry and came to the dinner table. “Ziqian, your head teacher said you had got out from school early for three consecutive days. Why did you do that? You are one of the best students, as I know.”

“Oh, it’s not a big deal. I have mastered things that they taught in class. There is no need to waste time on that. I have gone to the library.” He replied calmly and stuffed a meat ball into his mouth.

“Anyway, it’s not good. If you want to read, you can borrow the book and do that in school.” Mum rebuked. “I almost forget that you two are in the same school now. Mengmeng, escort Ziqian to school every day. You can set a good example for your younger brother.”

“He’s not my younger brother”

“You are not my elder sister, hum.”

We glared at each other and wolfed down.

“see, you two cooperate well. ”

“No, it’s such a burden for me. I have to focus on the exam.” I protested, but without surprise, failed.

“It’s just a small favor without any trouble. It’s the deal. You two go to school together tomorrow” mum ignored my protest and ended the conversation.

I was upset by that, and Ziqian even glowered at me as if it was my mistake. Oh please, it’s all because of you, domes. If you didn’t answer the phone, everything would be just fine. I scowled back and took the last meat ball, his favorite, in my bowl.

Mum is the one with best executive ability. Next morning, regardless of my unwillingness, I was dragged to Ziqian’s home by her. We did not talk or even looked at each other on the 2-kilometer road. But when the school gate appeared, Ziqian turned left and got into a small alley. How dare? He completely disregarded me, a live person who stood right before me, and tried to play truant.

“Hey, hey, come back. The gate is here. You are short-sighted not blind, Zou Ziqian!” I was vexed by her ignorance.

“I don’t want to go to school. Haven’t you see it? ” he sneered at me.

“Why? You are already in front of the school. You can go inside and go out, so I can live up to my mother’s entrust at least.”

He was surprised to hear my advice. He thought I would persuade him to go to school like his mother and my mother did. Sorry, I did not. It’s actually none of my business. Why bother to worry about someone who does not care for himself.

“You know playing taunt is much worse than leaving early. You might be expelled because of skipping school, but never for the later one. What’s more it’s your business. If you are really tired of going school, I could not do anything. Go, it’s your life, even though it’s a total mess. Face it or suck it. I would not feel sorry for you, because I am not your sister, but your mother would. Do you understand? ” I threw all those arguments to him in a row and dragged him into the school. “Going school is not hunting for tiger. Why do you fear about it? Remember, you are a man. Stop being girlish. No, a girl would not act in such a lousy way.”

He seemed to be persuaded by me and did not refuse again. He is still too young too naïve. Playing tricks in front of me? Please.

Since then, we went to school together and went home together for dinner even though I became busier and busier for the college entrance exam. Talking with, or to be more exactly, bickering with Ziqian was an effective method of decompression. I always felt better after arguing fiercely with that little mind. Jolin was surprised to see we two become so close. Oh please, close? Are you kidding? No, we are just, how to say, detested each other, but cannot be torn apart because of our parents. When can I get away from the pathetic life of escorting such a little boy? The exam is coming. I could not be distracted, or else I could not get the offer from a prestigious school. If I cannot attend a good university, then it would be difficult for me to hunt for a good job. Without a good job, I am not able to support myself, let alone support my parents. It's a vicious circle.

1