Chapter 8.01 – The Certain Future
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Raderius

Marriage? While I will admit to having had lustful thoughts about this woman, to commit to something so grand is something I'm uncertain of. Still, that would be a way of achieving a result that could be described as neither victory nor defeat. A way out of what could be the greatest mistake of my life.

However, I can't marry someone of poor character. I know nothing about this woman, other than her claim to have affection for me. She has already declared a truthful lack of intention in slaying me, so the only reasons to accept her proposal is if she's a woman who's right for me and the temptation as well of fears of the potential futures she promises. I don't have time to determine her character, she eagerly awaits my answer and I can tell she won't accept extended contemplation.

I reach into a pocket and feel a copper ring with what appears to be the worlds smallest diamond. The last thing my mother ever gave me. A solution to my conundrum, a test of character.

I walk directly in front of her.

"Only if you accept this."

I get down on my knee and withdraw the ring from my pocket. I present it to her as I hold my other hand out to accept the diamond band she offered me.

The moment of truth, if she's merely after my strength or just has some fanciful romanticized image of me she will surely reje-

"Of course!" she yells out with a true and honest voice of love. Ever since I was a child I've been able to see through the facades of people. When I looked at her eyes that gazed upon the ring I offered her, I could tell. She believed it to be the most wonderful gift she had ever been offered.

She grabbed the ring as I grabbed the band. Placing them upon our fingers.

I turn my attention from the band onto this woman, Annette and before I can say anything she motions for me to lower myself.

I see no reason not to and comply.

Warmth embraces my lips. A warmth that I had never felt, that I had never been interested in feeling until this day. The kiss was awkward at first, our shared inexperience made it clumsy and the positioning made it feel as strange and uncomfortable. Yet, it was wonderful, a sensation that set passion aflame. We broke the clumsy kiss and went in again. More forcefully and passionate than the first we tasted each other for what felt like an eternity.

The kiss ended.

"Lets end this battle, my love." Annette said in her sweet, enchanting voice.

King Christian Lemillious

"Your granddaughter has engaged the necromancer." Those were the words that the messenger ended his report with. My brain churned, processing what I had just heard. Yet another of my sons, as well as many of the nations elite have fallen. The necromancer departed the battlefield, clearly the battle drained him sufficiently for him to decide that being personally involved was to risky. With all the available information at my disposal, I've determined my leadership will at best place the battle into 50 50 odds of victory or defeat.

Annette has never been much of a fighter, her immense aura is the envy of many, but she's only ever used it for healing and strengthening of her allies. To expend so much to move at as swift a speed as the messenger described means that she's giving her all in this battle. Still I can't help but wonder; why? What objective does she seek to complete by placing herself into such a dangerous position? Distracting the necromancers attention from his army can buy us some tactical advantage, but the loss of her support spells would also put us back just as much. Her ability to slay the necromancer is in doubt, especially if he managed to slay sixty of Milos's best. Undoubtedly he has enough reserve energy to face any threat that would follow him, I doubt he would be foolish enough to place himself into a vulnerable position.

So then, what is Annettes objective? If she can't slay the necromancer and her death would result in as large of a loss of advantage as it would gain us, what could she be doing?

"Everyone stop!" a familiar sweet voice resonated across the battlefield, yet felt close and personal.

Annette Lemillious

Commanding light, another of my spells that only work within the rays of sunlight. It allows me to forcefully enchant those who hear my voice, make them follow my wishes. Of course, it can also be used as a unique form of enhancement spell, allowing for all its affecting to feel like they're having a intimate conversation with me no matter the distance.

"The undead are no longer a threat. The battle is over. Rejoice, for we have won." As I said this the undead began an organized retreat away from the battlefield. The living, were weary, uncertain but relishing in a chance to rest from what had been the most demanding battle of their lives.

The critical moment was coming. I can't afford to fail Raderius, my betrothed. Here and now, I will cement myself within his heart not only as the woman he loves, but also within his mind as a trusted ally he can burden with his troubles.

I take a moment as the undead withdraw to look at my ring. The metal was cheap and common, the diamond small, but the emotion it carried. The sheer love that emanated from it, made it more beautiful than any jewelry that had ever adorned me.

I tear my thoughts away from the ring. The moment had come.

"I have ended the war through marriage." I could feel the gasps that spread throughout the field, grandfathers look of resignation, my brothers look of horror, the confusion adorning the faces of the nobles and common folk.

"This battle with the necromancer, you may have not realized or felt it, but was at a copper coins toss. Either side was equally likely of emerging victorious. It was to much to bear, I, I didn't want to lose anymore of my people!" I said forcefully with emotional tears. Each word was a truth highlighted with love that my people could feel. Of course, this love is for Raderius and my desire to rule alongside him, but the people don't need to know that.

"The necromancer, he has a name, some of you already know it. Raderius. This man, despite the fear you feel of his might, is a soul of good!" I could feel Raderius's emotion spike as I said those words. Catharsis, these words likely are embezzling themselves deep into his soul. I continued. "He sought to bring prosperity to the Duchy of Avantine, to use his dark power for good." I described the advancements that Avantine had undergone, what my research had revealed, what was told by that peasant, the details of Raderius's rule, the gentler nobles and common people were clearly visibly interested, while the darker ones feared the decrease in power such benevolence would inflict. I pushed forward.

"Yet, fear and ignorance were what was he met with. A dark deception was told to the royal family, this deception spread throughout the nobility and was one of the causes of this war. Our foundation for fighting Raderius is a lie! When I learned this my heart broke and I wept for the pointless loss of life that was to follow. However, I couldn't tell anyone, if the truth was told to the wrong person I could face detainment, a loss of any political power that would allow me to save you from this battle. Due to the succession, I could even have lost my life. I had to work towards a solution that would save whoever I could!" my emotional passion at this point I could tell was softening all but the hardest of hearts. Even my brother is in self doubt. I allow myself a small smile, making sure to not let it leak through my words.

"Raderius, he to, was deceived. My uncle Clovis, everyone present knows the truth. He was a terrible prince, a terrible man, who only the greediest and morally dubious supported. When he presented himself to Raderius, he threatened him. He demanded from him support or to face the consequences of defying a royal. A gross abuse of power, even in the name of our kingdoms succession. Raderius was left with a choice, to reject tyranny and fight the Kingdom or to embrace it so he could hold onto power. He chose to slay Clovis, knowing that doing so would make him an enemy of us all. Yet, he did it so that the people of Avantine can remain free from the suffering they endured when under Duke Avantine. So that the people of Milos will not suffer a King that would destroy his people!"

I cried out, as tears adorned my words, some cried with me.

"On this terrible battlefield, when Raderius was weakened and unable to continue fighting in it, he withdrew to command his forces from the safety of the rear. I knew, that I had my chance. To talk to him, to understand him. From the bottom of my heart, I tell you Raderius is a great and noble man. I've fallen for him and he's fallen for me. From this tragedy the Kingdom will emerge stronger than it ever has!"

The crowd was divided, they needed one more push.

"For those of you who fear for a future where a Duke openly practices necromancy, where our line of succession has dark magic within it. I ask you to trust in me. That as a practitioner of light I can save anyone, even Raderius from darkness. Think about every way I've changed the Kingdom for the better, think of the light I've represented for many of you. Believe in me, just as I believe in all of you."

It was to much, my reputation and accomplishments, the relationships I've built. Their influence is to strong for hatred to remain. All that's left is grief. The grief of a unnecessary civil war. The fools that all sides have been.

The adoration.

The saintly figure of myself, I can feel it in the minds of the people. It was already present, but now this tale of redemption, love on a battlefield it captured the hearts and minds of all. Raderius, the people will remain conflicted about you for a while, but their love for me will overcome it. You will overcome it, when they see their lives approve and the light of truth wipes away their ignorance. You will ascend to King.

Raderius, I'll be by your side for each step. You will achieve each of your ambitions.

My beloved, you will be loved by all, your kindness and noble intention will solidify you as the gracious king.

My beloved, you will drive the people upwards into new heights of greatness, you will be known as the wise king.

My beloved, you will be powerful enough to defend our lands, you will be known as the savior king.

Most of all, when the Godkin Wars begin you will have the power to win it, you will have transcended mortal limits, my beloved you will become my Undying King.

ADVERTISEMENT
0