Chapter One: A: The Testament of Shana MacArthur
520 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Marshall stood at the front of the train, his eyes fixed on me like a predator stalking its next meal. Wish I could say he was just fascinated by my beauty, that my dark earthy skin, and flowing purple hair had him under my spell, but that was obviously not the case. No he watched me for the same reason everyone on the train had been watching. Among these well-to-do types, I stuck out like an abscessed tooth. The open vents blowing the cool outside wind into our car did little to stop streams of sweat from running down my face under the heat of their eyes. About a day left to go in my ride between the third and fourth Circles' stations, though it might as well have been weeks. I was lucky enough to not have anyone sitting in the seat with me, though perhaps it's because they were intentionally avoiding me. My eyes scanned the surrounding seats, occupied by all the stiffs dressed in their holiday best. My skin crawled just thinking about them watching me with their beady little peepers. 

"Dirty Mestael" "Worthless drifter" and "heathenish Witch" were just a few passing judgements whispered about me. I'd just flash an insincere smile whenever my eyes met any others eyes, and they'd divert their gaze. So many ungrateful bastards, many of them wouldn't be alive if it weren't for people like me, and they knew it, but that didn't stop them from showing their discontent. 

 Luckily I didn't have to bear through the entire ride, I only needed to wait for the train to get just far enough from civilization. I watched as the landscape out my window had evolved from the modest wood buildings and paved streets, to the vast empty dust ball we call the Wastes. Not much longer now, I smirked, five minutes tops and I'll be set to go. I prepared to stand when a sudden loud bang brought a brief silence, before the panic ensued. The door to the connecting car flung open, a shotgun barrel poking through, and without a second of hesitation they blasted the Marshall in the back. The other passengers began to scream, but I just rolled my eyes.

Just my luck, I sighed hiding my face under my cowgirl hat, as a wide surly man came in shouting, "Everybody sit yer asses down!" cocking his gun for dramatic effect. 

Two more men joined him in the car, one stepping forward with a sack, "Money and jewelry in the bag!" The second man barked, as he made his way down the aisle. 

“Money in the bag” he continued to demand, relieving the other passengers of their valuables. They were making their way down to me, it wouldn't take them long, I was pretty close to the center of the car. I waited and watched as they would occasionally stop to snatch a person from their seat, and exercise a show of force. I sighed rather audibly when the bullish men approached, sack full of goodies in hand. I had thought if I sunk down low enough in my seat, perhaps he would walk on by. Oh but of course that was wishful thinking, because why not go and rob the poorest looking lady here?

"Money and jewelry in the bag miss," he grunted at me, the stench of rotted teeth and bourbon on his breath.

"As much as I would love to, you see I'm but a pauper and have no money or jewels to speak of," I lowered my head in an attempt to look meek.

"Nice try lady, last I checked business trains to the sixth circle didn't carry paupers," he scoffed, "now hand over whatever you got or things might get a little rough for you."

I rolled my eyes. "Really, you're going that route? What are you going to feel me up while you're supposed to be collecting loot for your boss?"

"Wha, what? No, I mean I'm going to rough you up!" he scrambled to save face.

"You're going to tear off my clothes and violate my pure body!" My shrill scream echoed through the train car. All the other passengers gave the man sideways glances, their judgement burning into him.

"What the hell are you doing Maur! Quit screwing around and finish collecting the money!" another one of the bandits shouted .

"No, I never, she just..." he was flustered.

"Looks like you should hurry up and move on," I gave a cocky grin. "Don't want to make your boss angry."

"Fine, you want to make things hard on me, I'll give you your wish," he growled, a perverse grimace spread across his squarish face, "I'm going to have a little fun with you after all." He grabbed my neck, then ran his hand under my poncho, snaking his grubby mitt up my body to my soft bountiful chest.

"Big mistake bucko." With a click and a sudden bang the molester found himself disarmed in a manner of speaking.

"The hell! Fucking bitch shot my hand off!" he recoiled back to the aisle, his hand fingerless and bleeding profusely.

"Should have just moved on," I sighed, standing up and pointing my long silver revolver at the bandit. "This isn’t how I expected this day to go, but I guess I’ll take what I’m given.” With another click and a flash, the bandit dropped, his head a little holier than before.

"Damnit, she’s a witch!" The bandits' compatriot yelled, swinging his rifle in my direction. 

Too slow! My magic bullet pierced through his throat, before he could place his finger on the trigger. The last bandit, who had been standing watch at the front of the car, raised his shotgun, but I took him out with another speedy shot. 

The passengers in the train car cheered, rightfully so, shouting out praises like, "Bravo!" "You're amazing!" "We've been saved by a beautiful hero!" and  "What's the name of our savior?" 

 I lifted my cowgirl hat with the barrel of my gun and beamed a sly, prideful grin. "Names Shana MacArthur, and I aint no hero," I gallantly introduced myself, "they just got to the robbing before I could." The passengers seemed confused for a moment as I, their savior, slung the sacks from the robbers over my shoulder.

"You mean to rob us too?" one passenger said with shock,

"MacArthur, I've heard that name!" Another cried.

"The Bullet Witch Shana!" a third exclaimed.

"So my reputation precedes me, give it to the Church to really inflate a girl's ego,"  I opened the train car's main door, "either way, it's been a pleasure, stay fresh cheese bags!" I tipped my hat and leapt from the train, the civilians gasping at my acrobatic feat.

"Alright Gabby do your stuff," I called out, and a gust of wind erupted from a card I held in my hand.

The torrent of wind surrounded me, holding my body aloft in the air, as I gently glided down to the earth below. "Haha, another successful haul, and I barely lifted a finger," I gleamed.

"You egged that man on intentionally didn't you?" a soft, yet stern ephemeral voice spoke from the card.

"Oh Gabby, how could you accuse me of such underhanded tactics? I'm just a sweet ol’ innocent girl who was being taken advantage of," I attempted a childlike tone of innocence, but couldn't restrain my hysterical laughter.

"You could have been a hero, you know?" the card spirit, Gabby, replied, "would go a long way towards finding some honest work."

"Yeah, there's plenty of honest work for us Witches, not like we've been ostracized by the church, right?" I kicked a rock and slumped my shoulders, "you know we were there to rob them anyways, right?"

"Yes but maybe if you had returned their belongings, the people would have rewarded you," She suggested.

"I don't work with if's and maybes," I shrugged, "besides, that would have been maybe ten percent what I made off with, max." and to be honest, I didn't believe for a moment they'd have given me a reward, though I decided not to voice that any further.

"Ten percent is all the Goddess asks for, you don't hear her complaining," the spirit within the card argued.

"I think you mean the church, that's called a tax," I retorted. "We've been doing this long enough, you know I'm no saint."

Whilst bickering with my unseen companion, we walked through the red dusty canyon, making our way from the tracks towards a solitary shack. Judging from the broken glass, and holes in the roof, chances were it was abandoned. The perfect place for a girl like me. I opened up the cracked wood door, the rusted hinges wailing like some kind of dying animal, and stepped on through the crooked threshold. Every step I'd take caused the floor to groan and creak. Honestly, it would be the perfect summer home, I chuckled. "So what do you think they used this place for?" I asked, dust settling around me as I walked. The shack smelled of rotting wood, not wet, just rotted, if that was even possible. 

"An old rest stop perhaps, probably abandoned when the express line was put in," Gabby guessed.

"Yeah, that makes sense. No ones going to be caught dead walking the wastes without a witch escort or caravan."

"Your wording choice is a bit off, my love" my familiar said, "I think what you really mean is that walking between the circles is how you'll be found dead." 

"Was that an attempt at some dark humor?" I grinned, while wiping a thick layer of dust from a shaky table. 

"Perhaps," Gabby said, sounding as if she were smiling.

I placed our bag of absconded treasure on the table, and began to inspect my new riches. Nothing really amazing to be seen, I counted about two-hundred and fifty Ylda, a price that barely paid for my train ticket, and also a bunch of jewelry of mixed value. The most notable things would probably add up to a thousand Ylda and some change, though that was only if we could find a good enough fence to sell it. 

"Don't tell me this heist was a bust," I groaned, rummaging deeper into the bag, finding nothing more. I dropped the first bag down and grabbed the second one, maybe that other bandit did a better job. Hoisting it on the table, it had a lot more heft to it. Okay, this could be promising, I thought. Dumping it's contents over the table, it seemed I was too eager in my assessment. For the most part, it appeared to be more of the same with only a tiny bit more Ylda inside the bag. Hell, after covering room and board, plus the food I desperately needed to shut my growling stomach up, it was barely a profit. Those cheese bags were being stingy, did they not value their lives? I’d have been sure to get all the Ylda I could have off of them, guess those men were amateurs.

"You think we could find a good fence to buy this stuff?" Gabby asked me.

"Shit, we'd be lucky to find one who'd do business with a witch without charging a ridiculous fee," I grumbled.

"Perhaps the Fourth Circle will be more witch friendly?" she suggested.

"Doubt it, but I can't go back to the first circle, and the second circle is off the table too… My bounty is just getting too high," I sighed, "plus I already know I'm wanted in most of the third by now, so there's nowhere else to go there." I slumped my head on the table, while playing with a coin. "Well shit, this was almost not worth the effort," I sighed, defeat deflating my voice.

"Come now dear don't say that," Gabby cooed, "you didn't put in any effort remember? The bandits did all the heavy lifting." I glared at her little card. 

"Hey can you stop talking from your carta and come out, we're in the clear so it should be fine now!"

Gabby appealed to my request and in a brilliant flash of light, and a torrential gale, appeared before me. The black Feathers of her winged arms spread as she gently fluttered down, placing her talon-like feet on the ground. She looked at me with her deep grey eyes, and smiled a warm loving smile. "Stand my love, let me embrace you." she requested, lifting my chin with her talon-like finger, and I did as she asked, "Are you happy now?" she wrapped her arm around my head, and lightly stroked my hair.

"Yes, you know I love seeing your adorable face," I teased. 

"Oh, Is it just my face you wished to see, or perhaps was there something more," Gabby teased back, as she wrapped her other arm around my waist, and brought her face closer to mine. "You would be so lonely without me, but worry not, I'll bring you warmth tonight," her lips were nearly against my own, her sweet breath felt hot on my face.

"Knock it off, you joker," I pushed her away. "I'm not that lonely," I added, my face beat red. 

"You're so precious when you're embarrassed, but you know I am not joking, my love." 

"Do all familiars flirt so mercilessly with their masters?" I pulled back a bit more, providing a comfortable amount of space between the two of us.

"Shana, dearest, what did I say about using that word?" Gabby corrected me, "we are equal partners, there is no master servant relationship with us." She stared me in the eyes, her gaze resolute. "Without witches, familiars would have no Eros to give us strength, and without Familiars, Witches would have no magic."

"Yeah, yeah, save the lecture," I moaned, turning my back on her. "If we're equal, let me access your full power."

"I've told you, we have not consummated the contract. Only then will I be able to share with you my true name, and with it all my power," Gabby wrapped her arms around me from behind, pressing her head close to my long slender ear, "Our bond is quite strong, I'm merely waiting for you to be ready to complete the contract, my dear."

"I'll be a true witch then, if we do this consummation thing?" I placed my hand over hers, my body feeling warmer every second spent in her arms.

"Mm, true Witch is more or less a subjective term, but we'll be truly one, and that's what matters most in our contract," she bit my ear, sending chills down my spine. 

"I," I moaned softly, "I don't think I'm ready for that yet."

Gabby sighed and released me. "Fine, as you wish, but don't whine if another witch comes along and takes me away from you, love." 

"They'd have to kill me first," I cocked the hammer of my revolver, "Besides, what witch has got two familiars?"

"Quite a few actually, not all contracts are mutually exclusive. A witch can contract as many familiars as she is compatible with, should she wish to," Gabby explained, "in fact they say the Witch Queen had seven familiars." 

"The Witch Queen," on hearing her name, I found myself thinking  back to the darkest day of my life.

***

Flames hotter than any I'd ever felt blazed from the pyre, while villagers yelled out "Burn the witch!" A beautiful dark skinned woman with violet hair was fastened in the center, while a second and third were already being burnt. 

“Momma!” I had cried out, running to be with her. My father wrapped his arms around me, and swung my body around, facing me away from the brutal tragedy.

“Don’t look sweetheart,” he said, stroking my head lovingly as he held me tight, “mommy is going to be alright sweetie, don’t worry,” he lied in reassurance. 

“For the crimes of witchcraft in service of the Witch Queen, I, Grand Inquisitor Semial sentence Setiel MacArthur to burn in the holy flames in atonement to the Goddess, as is her will, that all shall be absolved of their sins through the sacrifice of one's flesh!”

The pyre was lit, and I heard my mother cry out. I forced my way out of my fathers arms, and ran towards her. Something happened to me then, something I can’t remember, as blackness took me.

***

“Shana, are you alright my love?” Gabby’s voice snapped me back to the present, back to the filthy abandoned building we hid within. 

“Yeah, Sorry Gabbs, I just was thinking of something,”  I sat myself on a rickety chair by the table, my eyes still blankly gazing off in the distance.

“Don’t worry yourself with heavy thoughts, relax, tomorrow's journey to the fourth circle is going to be a long one,” she stroked my long violet hair, taking off my hat. “Get some sleep, I’ll watch over you, Goddess forbid we encounter a Malefic and you’re not in top form.”

“Yeah, I know,” I stood up from the chair and looked around the room, there seemed to be a couple cots in the corner. Not exactly the most luxurious of lodging, but it would have to do. I lied down, and Gabby stood by my feet, reassuring she would keep me safe. After an hour of restlessness, I shifted into a black dreamless sleep.

16