Chapter Nineteen: B: The Testament of Lady Karakahl, Archangel of Goldcity
56 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My heart was filled with momentary relief, seeing Shana and Naomi both in such good condition. I dreaded the thought that I almost got my sweet Shana killed, and even more the thought that had Naomi died it would have been for nothing. Even as we ran through the streets on our way to the city, the relief was enough to lift me, my spirit high, and my mood lightened. 

The relief could not last forever of course, as another Inquisitor blocked our path. 

“Goin somewhere?” Salem taunted us, drawing a machete and swinging it wildly. 

Little Vox made quick work of the lousy excuse of a witch hunter, sending the man's head rolling to our feet.

We had a moment to catch our breath, that is until an explosion went off in the distance snapping our attention back towards the city. 

“That came from the direction of the others!” Naomi cried out.

“Shit, Reli!” Shana shouted and began running off.

“Wait, Shana,” Vox seized her by the shoulder.

“What are you waiting for?” she pulled herself from his grip, “they could be hurt!”

“Your friends are probably fried to a crisp,” Salem said over the helmet radio, “but you’re no stranger to that are you Shana?”

“You bastard!” She fruitlessly kicked the helmet, sending it into the train tracks.

“I’m sure they’re fine my love, Reli is a tough kid,” Gabby assured her.

“At any rate we should go to them, together,” I took Shana by the hand, “we stand a better chance against danger that way,” she looked me in the eyes and I gave her a sincere smile. I could not affect emotions with my magic, so I did all I could to reassure her with my own attitude. Looking out into the city, billows of smoke rose from the site of the explosion. If we did not hurry, others may go to investigate, and that could have spelled even more trouble for our ragtag team. “Let us go to them,” I said, and Shana nodded.

 Worried thoughts of Josie and Reli tried to invade my mind, but I banished them, focusing instead on finding their location. The buildings there were not exceptionally tall, three stories at most, so I thought it would be easy to find the source of the diminishing smokey whisps, though we had to move fast before the sort of waypoint vanished completely. It was not a large city, at least not in comparison to any of my prior homes, but it was not small either. The third circle was hardly a place I liked to spend my time, so I was not in the least familiar with my surroundings. I had contacts there, as I did throughout most of Haven, but there wasn’t time to seek out their aid. We stood at the edge of the city, looking in, ready to search, and prepared to face whatever obstacles would be in our path. 

“We should start here,” Voxiepoo said, kneeling by the train tracks halfway past the city gate. “It looks like this is where they jumped.”

“How can you tell?” Shana asked, tilting her head.

“This,” he held up a broken hand radio, “I’m guessing Josie dropped it, which would explain the lack of communication,” he stood up and began taking long strides towards the nearest building.

“And what are you doing now?” she tilted her head to the opposite shoulder.

“Trying to match the stride of someone running,” he continued his awkward gait as he answered.

“Perhaps it would be best to let him do his thing dear,” I chuckled.

“He looks like an adorable little idiot,” Shana shook her head.

“Aw don’t say that,” I tried to stifle a laugh, “he is an excellent tracker, his methods just seem odd is all.”

“If you two are done making fun of me, I’m pretty sure I found the direction they ran,” Vox called back.

“Right now, coming darling,” swallowing a chuckle, I followed his lead.

“Lady Karakahl, didn’t you have something for Ms. Shana?”

I stopped and turned back towards the girl, “Thank you Dario I almost forgot,” I pulled a sheathed dagger from my bosom, “take this, it will help next time you encounter an Inquisitor.”

She took it from me and examined it, turning it over in her hands with a puzzled expression, “it’s just a dagger?”

“Yes, one that can pierce malicite, made of the same material as the Wanderer’s sword,” I explained, “to be honest love, I’m surprised you never thought to carry one before.”

Shana looked away, “Hey Inquisitors are rare in the outer circles, besides sometimes it’s easier to run.”

“Well I’d feel better if you had something to defend yourself,” I nudged her, “come now, our family needs us.”

Our group was led into the city by Vox as he followed bullet holes, tire tracks, and whatever other clues he could find. The signs were becoming more apparent, even to me, as it began to look as though we were stumbling onto a battlefield. I prepared myself for the worst, while trying to maintain an optimistic mind. If they were injured Naomi could heal them, and they were much too tough to die here, I thought. Turning around another ramshackle building the scent of smoke flooded my senses, drying my throat and eyes as though I hadn’t drunk in days.

“What’s the matter?” Shana asked, taking notice of my foul expression.

“We are getting close, I can smell the smoke,” I told her, wiping the sweat from my brow.

Naomi sniffed the air, “really? I don’t smell anything.”

“Well you are an Ael love, we Feraels are known to have a greater sense of smell,” I explained. 

“Hey I think I found something,” the Wanderer yelled from a side alley.

Following, we stepped into a scrap yard where the fading wisps of smoke wafted into the air. The smell of charred earth combined with gunpowder confirmed this was indeed the place the explosion had occurred. My body froze, and a part of me wished to go no further. 

“Seems like they fled here while we were busy fighting on the outskirts,” Dario stated. 

“But where are they now?”

“I’m sure they are not far, Shana,” Vox said, inspecting the ground. 

Forcing myself to go on, I too began to search, pushing past the overwhelming scent of smoke and the recognizable smell of charred flesh. I prayed silently that the burning corpses were not my girls, but those of the inquisitors, as I climbed over a junked train and miscellaneous vehicle parts. 

“You’re tense, my lady,” Gentle whispered, “do not worry, I can feel a strong presence of Eros.”

“So then little Reli is alive?” Hope rang in my voice.

“It’s hard to tell, Miss Shana also has a high level of Eros, but I believe it may be Reli, perhaps even Josie,” Gentle answered.

Dear goddess, Reli better be alive, I prayed repeatedly, more a demand than a request. Stepping around a decommissioned train I saw a wide short tree sprouting from the ground, “Vox, Shana, darlings, I believe I’ve found something!”  Calling out, I approached the odd plant growth and on further inspection saw that it had been damaged by a blast. There was a green ethereal light emitting from the injured trunk of the tree, confirming that the tree was indeed magical. It was an oddly beautiful sight, a bit of green life growing amidst the filth. It had made me wish there were more trees, outside of the forests of the sixth circle, though that wasn’t the time to be wishing such things.

“Holy shit, how did we miss that?” Shana exclaimed, sliding down a mound of trash, “that has to be them!”

“Indeed, but how?” I questioned, leaning closer to the magical plant. Touching the injured tree, a light flashed from the point of impact, throwing me back a bit. The magical plant began to unravel, like an old rope that was frayed, and wilted away, leaving an unconscious Reli lying on the floor, her arms wrapped around Josie.

“Are they alive?” Naomi asked, coming down the same way as Shana.

“I did what I could to protect them,” Michael said, hovering above us. She panted, her body quivering as if pained, and she held her left arm which appeared to have been burned by the blast.

“Miki you’re injured!” Shana exclaimed.

“Worry not Ms. Shana, I will heal with rest, but please watch over my Reli while I’m gone,” she smiled as she faded away.

“She’s gone?”

“No Naomi dear, only sleeping,” Naomi’s familiar answered, “we familiars can not die, least of all from mortal means.”

I crouched down and placed my hand on Relis head, smiling as I caressed her face, “Naomi, would you be so kind and tend to their wounds?’

“Right!” She responded, pouring her canteen of healing water on her hands. Naomi applied the water to the two girls' various cuts, scrapes, and lashes till they vanished leaving them unmarked in any way.

Reli’s eyes opened slowly as she stirred awake, “Miz Naomi and Miz Shana? What happened?” She asked, in a groggy haze.

“It seems Michael protected you two from a deadly explosion, darling,” I answered.

“Oh Lady Karakahl! You’re here too?” She peeped, sitting herself upright. As she leaned forwards she pushed Josie, most likely unaware she was holding onto her.

“Why the hell does my head hurt so bad?” Josie picked herself up from Reli’s lap, moaning in discomfort.

“Allow me to help with that,” I offered, placing my hand on the woman’s head.

“Ah Kara, you made it in time,” she said while fixing her posture, “we have to hurry, can’t miss the train!”

“Don’t worry about that now dear, we have plenty of time, and we must discuss a strategy,” I patted her head, “now have either of you girl’s seen Delun?”

“Oh no Mr. Delun!” Reli shouted.

“What happened kid?” Shana kneeled beside her.

“No need to worry about that,” Delun called out with a groan of pain, leaning on the Wanderer as they came into sight.

“My song bird, you are injured!” I rushed to their side, “what happened to you?”

“Damn inquisitor was strapped with a bomb vest, I barely managed to get away before it went off,” he chuckled, his voice clearly pained, “I could use some of that pain killing magic of yours right about now.”

“Perhaps true healing would be a better alternative?” I glanced back at the newest witch to join us.

“And why should I help him? He works for the church, don’t he?” She refused the request.

“Hey, I saved your life! Don’t you forget that little missy,” he yelled at her, before clutching his side.

“And how many other witches have you put in jail, templar?” Naomi rebutted.

He growled, “I’ve done what I have to do to survive, same as you,” he said through his labored breathing, “you don’t think I regret my past?”

“I thought you said you only help because she’s been keeping you from turning into a Malefic,” she pointed to me, “and while we’re at it, don’t you all go acting like you saved me out of the kindness of your hearts!” She stood up and shot a disgusted look at everyone around, “I know you just saved me to use me for my power. What you think I’m stupid or something? What other reason could you possibly have to be savin witches huh?”

Shana and Reli looked away, her accusation cutting deep, but I did not divert my eyes. I walked up to the raving witch, my crimson eyes fiery and fierce, and raised my hand, Naomi recoiling, ready for me to strike her. “My little Noa-noa, I’m sorry you have been alone for so long,” I said as I wrapped my arms around the girl, catching her off guard, “it’s my fault, I should have been there for you,” I said, stroking her hair as I pulled her closer into my embrace, cooing like a mother.

“Nao-nao?” Noami had repeated, nearly at a loss for words, “no, you, you can’t be. Kaykay?”

“Kaykay?” Shana was now the one confused, “what the hell is a kaykay?”

“Yes child it is I, and I’m so sorry I hadn’t found you sooner,” I responded, holding the girl tighter.

“Where were you?” Naomi tried to pull herself away, shouting as tears began to pour down her face, “we needed you!”

“I know, I tried to stop them, tried to get there in time, they restrained me and I was powerless to stop the fires,” I answered her, my own tears flowing like a river, “I was so afraid I had lost you, but I was overjoyed when I found that you were alive!” 

“Okay, can someone explain what it is you’re talking about?” Shana asked, frustrated by her lack of understanding.

“Lady Karakahl was the caretaker of an orphanage long before she opened the brothel,” Dario answered, stifling his own tears, “it was a special orphanage for the children of witches and other criminals that had been condemned.”

“So then that means that Naomi was one of the children at this orphanage right?” Reli deduced.

“Yes, though that was over twenty years ago,” Dario confirmed.

“Over twenty? Damn how old are you Kara?” Shana blurted out.

“I’m forty-seven, but my is it awfully rude for you to ask, dear Shana,” I said, facing the girl while I still held Naomi.

“I don’t understand, why didn’t you look for us?” Naomi asked, drawing my attention back to her.

“I tried to, but the church imprisoned me, by the time I was released there was nothing left, and no sign of any of you,” I explained, “it was by some miracle that Josie showed up at the brothel all those years later, and now I have found you, two miracles that I never deserved.”

“Wait, Josie,” Naomi, free of Kara’s hug, turned to look at Josie, “No? Jojo?”

“Yeah that’s me,” Josie affirmed, “been a long time hasn’t it?”

“But, but Jojo was a boy,” she said, then smacked her own head, “damn, well I guess not anymore.”

“I was shocked to find out too,” Shana peeped.

“Huh? What now?” Reli tilted her head, “I’m confused.”

“Yeah, you can thank him...I mean her, being alive to me,” Delun inserted himself back into the conversation, still bleeding from his side.

“The hell is that supposed to mean?” Naomi shot him a fierce glare.

“He found me after the fire, and took me in, him and his partner Achak,” Josie answered.

“You mean your old heist buddies? So that’s what happened to you,” Naomi pieced together.

“Yeah, just a couple of dads raising an orphan to rob banks with them,” Delun tried to laugh, but only could groan in pain.

I looked Naomi in the eyes, “I understand your life has been hard, and I wish so much I could have made it better, but I can’t change the past,” tears were still raining down as I spoke, “but we are all here now, a new family, and I’d love for you to be a part of it again.”

Naomi looked at me, standing back, and sighed, “I’m not looking for a family,” she started to say, “but then again I wasn’t looking to be a witch either, and that happened.”

“So you’ll join us?” Reli asked.

“I don’t know about that, but I’ll help with our current predicament. I owe y’all that much. No promises from there though,” she said, stepping up to Delun, “now stand still ya church bastard.” She poured more water on her hands, and began to heal his gushing wound, “this is a little more than what I’m used to, honestly I don’t get how you are still alive,” she mused.

“Cause this damn thing won’t let me die,” Delun said, his formerly bandaged arm exposed. The black swirling mass that enveloped his forearm had spread, now covering his entire shoulder and a portion of his chest. It seemed it was even beginning to crawl up his neck.

“Oh shit,” Naomi nearly fell onto her rear, “that wasn’t that big before!”

“That explosion must have put you through a lot of suffering,” I approached him, “come love, I’ll do what I can to ease it for you.”

“That would be highly appreciated,” he chuckled.

“You should have said something sooner,” the Wanderer criticized him, “it would be quite the catastrophe if that pox were to envelop you.”     

“Yeah don’t I know it,” he grunted, as we witches worked our magic to help him heal.

“When I first heard you were getting Lady Kara to ‘tickle your feathers,’ as she put it, I thought she was sleeping with you,” Shana admitted, “never would have thought she was stopping you from becoming a monster.”

“I told you,” he said through a strained smile, “Besides, Lady Karakahl here isn’t exactly my type, I’d be more inclined to the one carying me if you get my drift.” 

Vox grunted and shifted a little, “I’m flattered, but I have a girlfriend,” he coughed.

“Relax, I’m joking, I’ve got someone already too,” he reassured him.

“Okay, so this little reunion slash team-building exercise is touching and all, but don’t we have a train to rob?” Shana interrupted.

“Yes, she is right, we should retreat to a safer location so you can tell us everything you know,” I stood up after finishing my task with Delun.

“Well one thing I can tell you, is it ain’t going to be easy,” he laughed.

“We are aware, but how so?” I said, a little less patient than before.

“Well for starters, one of the train cars is fitted with a tank’s cannon.”

4