Chapter 8 – Arthur: 7 weeks ago
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took me four days of observation until I could say that I knew the general pattern of a target. That was the maximum I could spend on preparation, I needed to act shortly.

It took me an hour to get there, on the way I made sure to avoid driving near any surveillance. I parked far enough that if someone were to find my car, they could not link me to anything. For that reason, I had a good 20 minutes of walking, which I used to confirm credentials for the surveillance system. They still worked, that heavily simplifies things. Once I arrived, I used my binoculars to scout the mansion.

Target was where I expected him to be, in the garage working on his 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 while his wife and a daughter were watching a movie together. I took control of all the cameras, the few that I knew would record me, I pointed at walls, I left the rest unaltered. The one in the garage I moved far enough so I could still see Edmund while at the same time, the camera could not see me.

I went to the front gate, and threw a big bone into the yard, I could hear that rottweiler coming.

Breaking in from the front gate would be stupid, even if the pin code I was given at a time of installing his security worked I would be too easy to spot on and his dog, whose spends most of the time there would not appreciate it. I went from the other side, where I scaled the tree and jumped into his yard. I was careful to not make any noise, I did not want to attract anyone, especially not the dog. I checked the backdoor, they were close. I had no choice but to resort to lockpicking. It took me a solid minute.

I went straight to the garage; I could see him working under the car, standing under the hydraulic car lift. He had his back to me; I took out a knife from my pocket and sneaked right to the car lift. I cut the pipes supplying the hydraulic fluids to the car lift and it fell straight onto him crushing him to his death. I left the same way I came, then I saw him. Rottweiler was looking at me, I ran. So did he. I climbed the nearby tree; The dog was jumping and barking. But he could not reach me. I went higher and jumped on the fence, than to the other side. I took my phone out and fixed all the cameras. It was time to go home, Anna was waiting for me.


Anna: 7 weeks ago

He came late as he promised. I never looked twice when he did, I was stupid to trust him. I started to note every time he did, a few hours here and there, several times every week. Enough to meet someone and do whatever they were doing. I was mad at him for leading me on like that, if not that message how long would I live in ignorance?

“How was your job?” I asked him gently.

“Done, should be the last time I worked for him,” he said smiling. I could see he was in a good mood.

“I think we got enough money already; You should stop working overtime.” And there it was, suddenly he became serious, warry. What lies will he come up with?

“You know I cannot do that. I like to work, and we need money. Everyone does. In a few years’ time we should have enough so we can go for exceedingly early retirement and work occasionally. Until then, let's continue with our current lifestyle. Only a few years, I promise you.”

So, what? You want to cheat for a few more years or are you going to divorce me in a few years? I really wanted to tell him that I know. That he should stop treating me like I am stupid. But I cannot yet. I had no proof yet. I cannot tail him myself. While he was on his “job” I talked, in this very house, to a private investigator. From tomorrow he will be on his tail, I will learn what he does. Once I do, I will get my revenge, it can wait. I must be certain.

0