Chapter 13: You and Me
141 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oh my God, that tickles, you know? Hahaha."

It was week 4 of the Human-Neural Project. Sachi, who became the guinea pig of the project, was enthusiastically talking to Tomoya and Yuuta as they started to insert needle-like apparatuses to her head.

"These might start to hurt." 

"Don't worry! Do you not trust my own devices? I'm an expert, you know?"

"You're a crazy gal."

With all the needles pierced on her head, it was time to open the scanner and upload her brain patterns into the computer. 

"Look at that. It's so complex." 

"What do you expect, it's trillions of nodes."

"Guys! Guys! I also wanna look- ouch!" 

"Geez, Sachi. Let me remove those first." As Tomoya removed the needle parts, they all looked at the computer model of Sachi's brain. "It seems to be firing a lot of nodes, but the virtual model of Sachi doesn't really move..."

"I guess we really need to create a physical model of me, huh."

"Ahhh... that's true." Tomoya and Yuuta looked around the room nervously.

"Why are you guys... AHHHH!" Sachi throws some wires at them. "PERVERTS! IM SEARCHING FOR ANOTHER EXPERT FOR THAT, YOU KNOW? HMPH!"


*Upload Complete*

The three of them were staring at this doll, looking almost like how Sachi looks like, a regular, slender Japanese woman, but with eyes as blue as the summer sky. Yuuta named the doll Chisa.

"I'm still in awe every time I look at Chisa, you know? Hey, Yuuta. What's with the Biology department being excellent doll makers, hmm?"

"Well...it's kind of like taxidermy, where we stuff dead animals, but without the killing."

"Ahh, so that's what it's called. Also, why is Chisa's boobs a little bit bigge-" Before he could continue, Tomoya saw his life flash before his eyes as Sachi taps his shoulders.

"Well... uhhh... here we go."

verifyStatus(lemma);

"By the way, Tomoya, why did you name Chisa's variable as lemma?"

"It means a stepping stone in logic theory. I thought about your beef analogy a while ago, and you're right. This is just a stepping stone for the progress of humanity. Calling it Chisa or whatever... I just don't want to get attached to it."

Tomoya presses the enter button to bring Chisa to life, "Whatever wakes up in this piece of plastic, it will not be a person, okay?" He reminds his colleagues.

wakeUp(lemma);

"..." Chisa opens its eyes. It looks around and started to touch different parts of its body. "WOAH!!!! This is amazing, you know! The research worked, guys!!!" It tried to stand up, but the needles on its head was still attached. "Ouch! Yuuta, can you please remove these this like what you did earlier? It hurts, you know?"

"Umm... sure." As Yuuta was helping Chisa, Sachi quietly talks with Tomoya.

"This is surreal. The way it talks, its mannerisms, even its memories... It's really like viewing myself in the mirror, you know?" Sachi, for the first time, had a look of regret. Tomoya pats her in the head, "Like having a twin sister."

"Heh... That's actually a really good way of thinking about it, you know?"

Chisa finally looks at its original source, Sachi. As soon as they locked their eyes, both of them walked slowly towards each other and the touched each other's face.

"You're me..." Chisa said.

"...or am I you?" Said Sachi as she completes what Chisa was going to say. 

Both of them laughed at the same time, "Hahahahaha! That's what I was also gonna say, you know!" , said the both of them simultaneously.

"I think we are going to be great friends."

"Couldn't have said it better myself, you know?"

As the two conversed, looking more like someone talking to themselves, Director Horace enters the room and declares, "BRAVO! BRAVO! WONDERFUL! Here is a list of things you should test, I am counting on you."

Tomoya reads out the list:

"Visual... Auditory..." It was a very extensive list. "That's about the same things we did for the frog", exclaimed Yuuta.

"Wait, there's more... Turing test... Pain Threshold... Fear..."

"Hold on, aren't these like, fucked up? Hey, Director? What's the meaning of this?!" Yuuta yelled at Horace.

"Oh, did Sachi not tell you about these things?"

"Sachi..."

"Yeah... the money was too much to pass up, you know?" Chisa speaks as if she was Sachi, "It's okay, I'm not a real person, you know? Don't worry!"

Tomoya proceeds to grab Chisa and makes her sit on the chair.

"We might as well finish these as quickly as we can."

7