Abstract.
14 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Miya looked outside the elevator’s transparent windows as it continued to climb the outside walls of Aestero Pol through a glass tube. Two large hull carriers with white-block frames darted past the space station. Their arm-like wings centered below their massive frame as they bounced onto a landing pod on an outside terminal.

When the elevator stopped, Miya exited through the splitting double doors into a long blue hallway with a white floating receptionist desk at the end, leading to a forked hallway.

A Khidra adult female with near-human characteristics and turquoise skin sat nodding while humming softly. Her long black hair with cyan streaks ran down her back, with some wrapped into a puffy bow atop her head. Her white-hexed Federation uniform shielded her lower face with a cone-like collar.

“Nice to seee you agaain, Miiya.” Kamilla bowed her head, continuing to nod as if still in tune. “How waas your mission on Amaranthus Yeen?”

Miya held her hand up and gestured with two fingers pointed at her neck, then shook her head while placing her hand flat in the air.

“Ahh, I seee. That’s unfortunaate.” Kamilla lowered her gaze.

Miya then pounded her chest with one hand then sliced the air with the other before performing several fingered gestures with her hands.

“If I’m not mistakeen… That means superior… Ohh…! Yees, Coordinant Qhiv'itha is in. She’s waiting for you noow.”

Miya smirked while poking her forehead with her thumbs. “You’re getting better at Yavasian hand-signs. If you can understand basic gestures, you’re at least ready for the E1 certification.”

“Hmm, maaybe you’re riight. It would be muuch faster to visiit home on the Drame service commute through Sectoor 23. I haveen’t seen my broother in quitee some timee.”

“Mhm, yeah. Just make sure you’re proficient in the language before you go. If you get lost or kidnapped in the Hubble, it would be incredibly unfortunate.”

“K-Kidnaapped…? L-Loost…?”

Miya tapped the side of her cheek with two fingers and walked to the left of the forked hallway. “You’ll be fine. Just keep practicing. I’ll quiz you later.”

“O-Oh… Kaay…” Kamilla whispered, then shimmied lower into her raised collar.

Miya walked through the hatch door at the end of the hallway, entering a large office space with a plum-colored glass floor and similarly colored walls with curved windows stretching into the ceiling. Blue-halo-rimmed pots housed exotic and peculiar plants with pink-curly leaves, while the walls were aligned with black and white books in several alien languages.

Qhiv'ith and Lyndova sat on the rotating couch platform at the lower deck of the room on opposite sides. The middle table was covered with holographic notebooks and a black metal briefcase.

“Mly Bol has also experienced the blip occurrence as well. Sur Val of Sector 19 can account for similar readings on the Vexel scale around several orbital planes in the past few stranals as well.”

Qhiv'ith crossed one leg over the other. Her pink skirt ruffled as she glanced to the side with a heavy sigh.

“If the scales read correctly, the signature output can only be determined several moments after the blip has happened. That could explain why so many other cases haven’t been accounted for. Maybe that also explains how that intruder got in….”

Lyndova leaned in closer, raising an eyebrow. “What was that?” 

Qhiv'ith smiled with a dismissive wave. “Yiyana. It’s nothing.”

“Reporting. No’on.”

Qhiv'ith looked up at Miya, standing near the staircase leading to the lower platform. She then jumped from her seat and lunged to hug Miya while twirling around with a joyous smile.

“Miya! Miya! Miya! How are you? Are you hurt? You must tell me all the details about your mission! Please sit!”

Qhiv'ith rushed down the stairs with Miya’s hand and plopped down on the sofa with a giggle.

“I don’t see the need to when you could just read my thoughts. If this was a private meeting I can come back-“

“No need! In fact, we were just getting to the part you needed to hear.”

Lyndova cleared his throat while sighing. “Excuse her. She’s always been a bit… Vivacious.”

Qhiv'ith grinned while inching forward. “I don’t see what you mean. Why don’t you explain?”

“Nothing, murmosa. You’re just to wonderful to comprehend.”

Qhiv'ith smiled with a tilt of her head. “Hitashi! You’re too kind!”

Lyndova leaned back on the sofa and then glanced over at Miya. “You’re pretty good. Not only figuring out where the abductors were hiding but also stopping them in the process. I can understand why Qhiv'ith trusts you so much. You’re commendable.”

“I also thank you for giving me the opportunity to show you my dedication to Aestero Pol and the Federation, respectively.” Miya looked to the side. 

“I know it’s out of line to say, tar… But… It’s truly unfortunate that your daughter got in the middle of this.”

Qhiv'ith’s smile faded as she lowered her head. She then balled her hands into her lap.

“Yes, well, it’s to be expected, I suppose. In this line of work, many individuals see us as troublesome. And because getting close to high officials is not easy, they may go after others we care for… Geliefden… And that’s why it’s so hard having them away…”

Qhiv'ith dabbed the sides of her eyes while shaking her head. “Oh wow! Look at me going on!”

Lyndova looked down at the table with a sigh, then grabbed a pyramid-shaped bourbon glass with a sizzling black liquid.

“I have to confess, murmosa. I may have… Done something. And you’d find out sooner or later, so there’s no need to keep it a secret.”

“Gaaah…” Qhiv'ith groaned while massaging the sides of her head with her index fingers. “What have you done now? Another incident that I need to clean up on your behalf? Well, I guess after this, we’re even, aren’t we….”

“Nothing that needs fixing. But… I may have, used… Orimi…”

Miya looked down as Qhiv'ith grabbed onto her hand and squeezed tightly. She then took a deep breath with a close-eyed smile.

“Please don’t tell me what I think you’re about to tell me.”

“Ha, ha…” Lyndova scratched the back of his head with a nervous chuckle. “You’re probably never going to forgive me, but… It had to be done….”

“No. There’s always another option. But, I want to hear you say it.”

“Oh, come on. Let’s just-“

“SAY IT!” Qhiv'ith barked.

Lyndova scratched between his eyes, chugged his entire alcohol glass, then leaned forward. 

“Casadova MIS was the given mission protocol. We had some connections in the cricker underground. A few tellers who sold information to bounty hunters, traffickers, and the like to lure them into a trap and get them caught. We got a tip that one specific group wanted to grab the sesnir but was hesitant about the source. So we decided to seal the deal by planting that Orimi would perform. We’re not sure these are the same people, but it seemed to have gotten someone very importants’ attention.”

Miya looked down at Qhiv'ith’s trembling hand, still holding onto hers.

“I see… And this was your decision to make?”

Lyndova nodded.

“And, despite your misplaced confidence in your team, resources, and intel… Our daughter was almost taken due to your… Obsession?”

“Obsession? It’s clearly not…!“

Lyndova, interrupted by Qhiv'ith’s piercing pink gaze, leaned back and nodded again.

Qhiv'ith sighed, releasing a bit of grip from Miya’s hand.

“We promised to change after what happened at Ya’Nir. You promised me you wouldn’t let them change you. But it’s obvious you have the same priorities you did back on the battlefield.” 

Lyndova opened his mouth but slowly clamped his lips together.

“Orimi will be joining Valcro E-24 Patrol Unit stationed here. You can’t be trusted with our kin’s well-being. That’s obvious from your past motives.”

“That’s…” Lyndova scratched the back of his head. “I believe that’s for the best. You know me too well, murmosa.”

“Unfortunately, yes… Yes, I do know.”

Qhiv'ith then stood before patting her skirt. She then outreached her hand toward Lyndova.

“Are there any objections or clarification you need before I make things official?”

Lyndova shook his head, then grabbed Qhiv'ith’s hand for a brisk shake. He glanced at Miya, saluted with an arm below his neck, then walked up the stairs to the main deck.

Miya looked down at Qhiv'ith’s hand and then back up at her.

“Ah, I’m sorry.” Qhiv'ith pulled her hand away with a half-smile. “I just needed some support right then… Is all.”

She then sat back down, picked up the black metal briefcase, and handed it to Miya. Miya placed her hand on the top of the case, and its opaque husk melted until the entire box was transparent.

 A black pistol with a blocky frame sat inside, covered in a purple meshy foam. The pistol’s body had dotted lines, small circles, and other unique symbols swiveling around its shape and fading away.

“Your Xacto-Masu handgun, now named Xacto-Macto after its improved version, is ready for use. I remember Dr. Ashihei asking you to use a quantized hand-weapon prototype he was working on. How was it in the field?”

“It was not a problem to use, no malfunctions whatsoever.”

“I see. Well, that’s good. Dr. Ashihei wants to debrief and go over some things with you. You’re to report to him after you take your qualifications.”

Qhiv'ith then raised from her seat, Miya following slowly after.

“It’s important you pass so you can use the different functions of your weapon. That, and it was a hassle to get the Administers to overlook the fact you’re incredibly young for the test itself. Please do your best.”

Miya saluted her arm above her neck with a nod. “Yes, no’on. I will show my worth to the Federation without fail.”


2