Chapter 16: Arriving at Berrick Valley (2)
607 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone was mute. Even Keira, the one who sneered at Aster, was also left speechless. She thought to herself,

'Is the male lead fine in the head?'

Keira, who was starting to feel annoyed by Aster's laughter aimed towards her, spoke, "Is there something funny I mentioned?"

At Keira's remark, Aster finally managed to calm down and composed himself. He cleared his throat before speaking.

"Okay then, If my lady Kei insists on not informing me, then I must incline." Aster smiled at Keira, leaving Keira blinded by that powerful smile only the male lead could contain.

The guards who were already left flabbergasted could not even begin processing what is currently happening in front of them as it was simply unbelievable!

Aster's remark left Keira with indignation. She pursed her lips before looking away from the male lead and dragged her gaze back to the valley in front of her, displaying a very adorable look for the male lead to mesmerize himself with. Keira of course had no intention with her actions and only acted based on her mood.

Keira exclaimed, "Then let's go. We don't have all day to survey this place."

Keira began walking forward but before she could take two steps Aster called her attention. Keira looked back and questioningly looked at Aster.

"Kei, maybe you failed to recall that you still didn't illuminate us with what this object looks like."

'Ah, that's right.' She had completely forgotten to do the most important thing.

"The item we are looking for is a flute." Keira stated.

"Flute?"

"Yes, a flute called Manpasikjeok. If you were to pay very close attention, you would eventually feel a very faint aura radiating from the flute, but it's easier said than done. So you have to pay extra attention as you cover the area. "

At Keira's confirmation, Aster only nodded in response before he also began walking to the empty valley. The other knights also nodded their heads and so they all walked the empty wasteland.

The land they had to cover was massive, but with the system on her side that could help track the main source of this power, Keira felt she would find this flute in less than a day. The knights and the male lead who was sticking to Keira split off.

The valley was covered in huge mountains and even the surrounding mountains that overshadow the valley were bare, exposing only layers of stones. This was completely different from the original scenery of Berrick Valley.

Keira alongside Aster walked in peace, trying to feel any fluctuation in the air that would count as abnormal but so far, apart from the dreadfulness the valley exudes, the place was placid. Keira, who was feeling bored after walking for some time but didn't want to start a conversation with the male lead, decided it was best to talk to her lovely Elly.

Keira: [Elly, feel anything yet?]

System 999: [Not yet Host.]

Keira: [What do I even do when we locate the Manpasikjeok? Just so you know, I have no talent whatsoever in playing the flute. Heck, I don't even know how to play a single note.]

System 999: [Do not fret Host! The moment you touch the Manpasikjeok, you just have to think about what you deeply desire and it will guide you to it.]

Keira: [Oh, okay. :) ]

Keira only replied with those words as she could still not fully comprehend how the flute works. Will her body move on its own and play a melody? Or would she just standstill with the Manpasikjeok on her hand acting as a magic wand? Keira thought it would be cool.

Absurd thoughts came to Keira's head one by one as she continued to speculate. Seeing that Keira's mind has drifted to another world, Aster felt a little dissatisfied. He wanted Keira's attention. Even though he hadn't struck up a conversation for the past hour, he was still happy to know that Keira is conscious of his presence. Even if it's just that bit of attention, Aster felt content.

Planning on bringing Keira's interest back to him, he decided to speak of the past. Now was exactly the best time to reminisce about the final war.

"This place still serves of great significance to me. No matter how barren and desolate this place is, it continues to serve as a reminder. How after fighting for hundreds of years, darkness was finally eradicated. However, not only was the demon's lives brought down, but it also dragged the life of the person who I deeply love, up until this very day."

Keira slightly faltered before looking at Aster, presenting that her attention was caught.

Gazing in a distinct direction, Aster's golden irises revealed sorrow and helplessness. He then continued, "In that spot, Keira shone ever so brightly. Radiating light that gave comfort to people's hearts, giving courage and determination to the people. I wanted to stop her from sacrificing her life. I knew I was being selfish but I continued to run in her direction, never stopping. But, I was too late. The glow of life slowly disappeared from her eyes as she lay weakly in my arms. Even when she finally died, her brilliance was still ever so evident as it continues to live in the people's hearts; In my heart."

Keira felt her chest squeezed as she gazed into Aster's deep eyes. Even though it felt awkward and embarrassing to hear her story from another person. With Aster's apparent impression of pain and misery, the embarrassment could not be felt any longer, instead, it was replaced with an aching stuffy feeling in her chest.

They both stopped in their tracks. Aster looked at Keira with a profound and intense gaze. He could also see the small guilt in those clear blue eyes that Keira didn't manage to hide.

"I hated myself for not being able to utter the words I have so long wanted to express properly at her dying breath. Do you want to know what I wish I could have said to her?"

Keira gulped and nervously asked, "W—what?"

Aster's eyes softened and said, "I love you Keira."

9