Chapter 98: A Rookie’s Guide To Dungeon Exploration
357 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week later.

Arnold had been quite busy since he was still recovering. He would go see Lyra in the mornings and go outside the empire using the gate near the campus. He hadn’t levelled up as much as he did before since he didn’t enter any monster zones.

Monsters zones were much further than the forests near the empire. There was one in the Undead Pains but he wasn’t thinking of going there since it was so far away.

He couldn’t ask Lauran to teleport him everywhere like some convenient taxi. She had been busy with her assistant work and schoolwork, after all. It was a shame that he had to walk everywhere.

He was still level 42. It was like him hunting all week added nothing to his experience points.

..

The fourth to sixth year students were all in their own classrooms. The other classes(third and under) were told to stay in their dorms.

Today was the day when the dungeon parties would be announced.

Nothing interesting happened during this week besides him going hunting. His roommate managed to fool everyone like he had asked her to.

She told the teachers who came looking for him that he was currently recuperating and couldn’t be disturbed. The vice-director pardoned him for not attending class since his arm was broken. When in truth he was prioritizing levelling up.

Arnold walked along the hallway as he heard both cheers and groaning in the classes.

‘Every one of them heard which students would be in their party.’

He could understand why some were complaining while others were celebrating. The former was true for those who were placed in teams with people they didn’t know or like, while the latter went for the complete opposite.

Arnold didn’t care as long as his teammates were strong and knew how to do teamwork. Otherwise he would have to take matters into his own hands.

He didn’t like being a leader but he would have to get used to it if his companions were like idiots or stubborn.

When Arnold entered the classroom, everyone’s eyes darted towards him.

Their homeroom teacher—who was in the middle of speaking—stopped.

“You’re back, Arnold. How do you feel?”

“Just continue speaking.” He passed by her and went towards his seat.

‘Huh?’

He noticed that a familiar person was sitting next to his seat by the window—Grace Lewan.

A grin was on Grace’s face.

‘What is she planning…’

No, the better question was “what was she doing here”.

Besides her—who was a non-combatant—there were only combatants inside the classroom today.

Well, that didn’t mean that a non-combatant was useless during a dungeon exploration. They could make maps of the dungeon layouts, set traps, carry the cores and everyone’s luggage and skin monster pelts among other things.

But looking at Grace’s sort and small hands that didn’t have a single broken nail, Arnold didn’t think she came here to contribute anything. She was part of the normal education system so she didn’t need to pass a dungeon exam.

“Welcome back, buddy.”

Someone suddenly tapped Arnold’s shoulder.

“I’m glad you’re better!” another followed.

Soon, a bunch of his seatmates came towards him and greeted him.

“You really scared us, Arnold!”

“Yeah, we thought we lost you, dude.”

His neighbours to his right said to him.

“…” Arnold sat down awkwardly as nearly everyone was smiling with him.

“Settle down now, everyone,” Lisiar Brockway—their homeroom teacher clapped her hands once to get their attention, “We’re glad that Arnold was able to recover after resting the past week and taking all the necessary medication. I think I speak for everyone when I say we were very worried.”

‘Hah?’

Arnold couldn’t believe this bullshit.

Worried? Them? Worried for me?

Arnold wanted to ask what she meant by that but she continued speaking, “Now then, let me get back to the announcements from this morning’s staff meeting.”

Arnold sighed and glanced to the side. He could see Grace look at him as well. Her eyes followed his movement.

‘Why is she looking at me like she wants to tell me something…’

He chose to ignore her. He wasn’t in the mood to tease her like he always did in the past. Besides, he hadn’t slept in days so he didn’t have the energy for that either.

“The expedition teams have been announced as well as which dungeon is assigned to which team.” Lisiar unfolded a scroll and read its contents, “There are two rules to this practical exam; rule 1 is that all teams will have three days at maximum to clear a dungeon. If this rule cannot be followed then a team from the second stage students will be sent in.”

Just like there were two rules, there were two stages to the exam as well. That meant that the practical exams were split in three days for each stage. If a team can’t finish clearing the dungeon in those three days then the team—from the second stage—who were assigned to the same dungeon, would be sent in.

A battle would naturally ensue and any and all methods may be used to overtake the other team.

“Killing” was one of the methods.

“The second rule is that you are forbidden from bringing any scrolls or weapons imbued with runic power. That means no enchanted magic swords, bows, etc…”

“WHAT!?”

“B-But some of us need those things!”

Some of Arnold’s classmates shouted when they heard the second rule.

‘Some of them—the magic casters most likely—will need the scrolls when they run out of mana or they want to save their mana. The runic powered weapons are usually used by the archers, healers or rangers since these classes don’t come with a lot of physical power. If they don’t have that then they’re basically losing a considerable amount of manpower.’

Arnold had to remember all this since he was going to solo the Sky God Dungeon or for any future dungeon raids he might have.

“All of you would rely too much on these tools if you challenged a real dungeon in the future. This can affect your performance if you depend on tools instead of your own power.”

‘Really, what a shitty rule. The board are basically asking these kids to die. Even if it combats dependency on magic items, it’ll impede them.’

Some might get injured or die as a result of these rules.

It was a cruel fate but an unavoidable one. Maybe they were too talentless or they just didn’t want to improve themselves in the past.

All in all, Arnold thought they were pitiful.

‘Now’s the best chance to leave and hope you do better on your written exams.’

The dungeon was the practical exam that was worth 65% of the total year. This only applied to combat-abled students. The written exam was a measly 10% but adding up the rest of the year’s 25% they would be able to pass with a 35% which was the minimum pass rate.

It was a mark that would cause them to be in the D or E classes next year. Arnold knew that basically all of them would pass since they were smart enough to get put in an A class.

‘I expected more from an A-class, though…’

Arnold shook his head when he saw some of them raise their hands.

“Do all of you wish to forfeit the dungeon exam?”

It was optional to pass it, was what was said to them many times before. But whether you want to pass with flying colours or not was your own choice. The academy’s job wasn’t to force their students to do this and that. Their job was to nurture people to figure out what they had to do to succeed in life.

As mentioned before, this dungeon exam was optional but very important for their final mark. The academy wouldn’t be impacted even if there were a few who had low marks. Some unpolished gems are probably in the other classes.

‘This education system may be different from earth’s but it’s very effective in raising leaders.’

His sister was a prime example of this, after all. This method of teaching teaches them responsibility for their own future which can be applied to many other things.

In response to Lisiar’s question, all of them nodded.

“You may leave the class and prepare for your written exams which begins in two months.”

They left the classroom one by one.

The homeroom teacher didn’t even look disappointed. Rather, she seemed to not care at all.

‘So she expected this already.’

“Miss Lisiar, won’t them leaving affect the dungeon exam overall?” Grace was the one who asked.

‘You’re not even supposed to be here…’

“Great question. But no, if we just move a few students from the second stage to the first stage then we’ll be able to get everything back together again.”

“I see. Thank you.”

Lisiar nodded, “If there aren’t any more questions—”

“Ah, but I wanted to know something else.”

“….”

The entire class looked at Grace in annoyance. Really, she wasn’t even supposed to be here. She was merely a bystander.

“…What is it, young miss?”

“What would happen if the second rule affected other teams? Like if they run out of mana potions or spare weapons, how would they defend themselves?”

Lisiar’s expression turned bitter when she heard the question.

“We are strictly forbidden from helping until after the exam is over…”

“What?”

“A-Are you serious?”

“Won’t we just die!?”

The students protested. It seemed that that was enough to upset them.

They were in the right to be angry since this matter involved their lives, not just their education.

“The academy’s head office won’t allow us to step in even if your lives are in danger.”

Grace didn’t seem as surprised as the others were.

‘Wait, did she also know about this?’

Arnold knew about this, of course. He completed the School Arc in its entirety when he played it, after all.

‘I wonder how she found out. Shouldn’t she have told others so that they could make extra preparations?’

Well, he could’ve done the same thing so it was hypocritical of him to blame her for keeping quiet.

“If you starve, eat the critters—insects, bugs, etc… If you have an injury, use the plants to make simple ointments. Don’t worry, it’s only three days.”

Lisiar tried to calm them down.

“Humans can survive much more extreme conditions. The dungeon may be unfamiliar for now but you’ll understand soon why we’re enforcing these rules. Next year you’ll do the same thing and the one after that one. Finally, you’ll face your greatest challenge in your final grade.”

She infused mana into the box magic item on her desk. A screen popped up of a cave-like structure.

“This will be the dungeon Team 1 will be entering. When I call you name I want you to come stand in front,” Lisiar looked over the list in her hand, “Hmm, it seems that there will be five in each team.”

Their history teacher already explained why so no one was confused about what she just said. Although Arnold didn’t understand why it was like this.

How were experience points split then? How did buffing teammates work?

Two vanguards acting as one only counted if the two of them were in front at the same time.

‘I wonder how it works. I’ve never really cared about team dynamics that much since I was already level 100 when I joined a guild.’

His class—Supreme Sorcerer—could harness destruction magic arts which was the highest level of magic if one were to look at the ranks. Another name for it was AOE magic. He wasn’t overly amazing in single-target magic but he could definitely destroy an entire army with one spell. He didn’t really need a party since his magic was nearly the strongest in the entire game.

Arcane magic was the basic form of magic and was practiced by every mage, except priests, elementalists and necromancers. Those forms of magic was known as the unorthodox magic—usually needing rituals, special conditions or runes.

That was why special conditions had to be met whenever you want to learn the magics. Arcane magic could be practiced by anyone who had mana but the same didn’t apply to the other magic. If you want to become a priest then you should join a temple, if you want to learn necromancer magic then you should have the affinity for dark magic, and then came those who want to use elementals as magic—often referred to spirit magic. The last one was only possible for elves and those who would speak with spirits.

Professor Lisiar called the five names and they went towards the front of the class.

She instructed them to meet their teammates near the school hall.

Lisiar called the next five, after the first five left.

During this time, Grace spoke to Arnold.

“So… What got you so riled up about the dungeon they spoke about at the opening ceremony?”

“….” Arnold glanced at her, “Is that why you came here? To ask me that?”

“…Maybe… But I’ve never seen you look so scared before. I’m surprised even. Never in my life would I have expected to see a guy with so much pride get scared.”

“Ugh…”

“So what did you mean by telling the vice-director to call the seventh year students back?” Grace moved closer until her leg was touching his.

“…Why would I tell you that?”

“Who knows? I might be able to help you.”

“Hah, the daughter of a Count wants to help me…” Arnold found it ridiculous.

Although her father allowed her much more freedom than other households did their daughters, that didn’t mean that Grace had a lot of connections or any power for that matter as a noble. From what he’s aware of, the count will only allow Grace to succeed him if he dies and not a moment sooner.

That wasn’t the only bad part. There was also the fact that Grace had never cared about getting involved with matters related to student politics or politics in general. How could she stand against the Student Council, Disciplinary Committee and the Board?

Freya told him that everything was taken care of but did that include saving the final year students too? He was a fool for assuming that was the case.

‘I shouldn’t have been led on like that…’

His conversation with her made it seem like he could rely on her. But maybe she would only act if danger actually struck?

That was the only answer he got. Besides, he wouldn’t be able to visit the Archmage to ask her what she meant by “Handling everything”. Even top executives from major companies were on a waiting list so visiting her again wasn’t possible.

“How can you help me exactly?” Arnold whispered back to her.

“First, tell me how you know this.” Grace replied back.

“What…?”

‘Shit. What am I supposed to say?’

If he said, “It’s because I heard about the dangers of the dungeon from the game” then he would be looked at like he was a crazy person.

But did it even matter what would he say?

He wasn’t thinking of telling anyone either. They wouldn’t understand what he’s talking about anyway.

The best thing to say was: “Serz. I have an associate there.”

It wasn’t illegal to be in contact with Serz as long as he only requested information so the Imperial Court couldn’t arrest him.

Grace’s face twisted horribly at the mention of their name.

“Y-You know, you shouldn’t be getting involved with them…” she grabbed his sleeve in a hurry and glanced around to make sure that no one was listening, “There’s rumours floating around that say that some members of Serz is enrolled into the academy.”

“Huh?”

“Cut ties with them before one of the Cadres order those students to kill you. Even if they have strong information networks, working with them is like walking on a sharp blade. You might never know when you’ll slip and get torn in pieces. Politics has corrupted then as well.”

Arnold looked at her silently.

A wide grin appeared on his face, “So you’re also in touch with them.”

“W-Wha…” Grace seemed to want to argue but no words came out of her mouth, “…I’m a weak girl with no powers whatsoever. Information and money is my only ally.”

“No wonder you’re loaded to buy two slaves that could fight as well. Demihumans are expensive enough to begin with. So which team supports you?”

Serz had a saying for working with people outside their organization: bring something of worth to the table and we shall make any impossibility a possibility for you as our client.

‘Which means that Grace has given them something of equal value. I wonder what it is.’

“Someone called Miara. She’s my associate in the organization.”

“Miara…” the name didn‘t ring a bell to Arnold, “And you’re close to her?”

“Not really. Our relationship is strictly business and not friends. I always have to bring something to the table if I want to use their resources.”

If Grace was involved with Serz then it meant that Arnold found a new ally. Although the two would only be connected through the organization, they could help each other out when the time comes.

Plus, Grace knows a Cadre. If Arnold could convince her to make him meet even one of them then he could pull them over to his side using the knowledge of the world he has.

That was his most powerful weapon after all.

“Do you know all five Cadres?”

Grace shook her head, “Clients are forbidden from asking about anyone else if they are contracted with one team or member. Also, I can’t put in a request to change the one I have a contract with since that’s not allowed.”

Contracts were fixed in Serz. You could only join and stay with one group or individual even if you’re unsatisfied with their service.

Meaning that Arnold was stuck with that ambitious dog called Liumiala.

When he was about to ask another question to ask her how she got into contact with them, he heard his name being called.

“Arnold von Berkley and Stella Ayried. The two of you will be working with Year 6 class B.”

16