Book 2 Chapter 158. Unveil (Part 7)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Several years ago, I think about seventeen to or eighteen years ago, there was this case, involving a family of five in the Northern District.” Captain Ko sighed and looked up at the ceiling: “There was a very very notorious case. It was soon suppressed and all public reportings and records of it were scrapped. But if you remember it, I guess you’ll kinda guess what happened.”

 

Kevin thought for a brief moment, then said: “A family was murdered in a ritualistic sacrificial style. And it was a family of - of three I guess.” 

 

“Yes. Official report, for a short time, was that it was a family of three.” Captain Ko nodded, then scoffed: “Bet you didn’t know, I was one of the senior detectives on the team that conducted the investigation. And in order to shut all of us up, we were offered promotions and choices of sections to work if we wanted them. So I - I took a notebook I found under the parents’ bed, a secret section in the beams, I mean. And - that was my first official introduction into the world of paranormal and rituals.”

 

“But what’s the reason for it being hidden? Just because there is paranormality involved?” Keryn asked.

 

“Yes but that’s not the entire reason.” Captain Ko nodded: “You should’ve seen the site. Many officers who had gone to the site resigned from the force shortly after that. It was - brutal and utterly gruesome, disgustingly so. And one thing about it was very, very obvious - it was a slaughter to send a message, besides being some kind of nasty ritual. Whoever did this, they butchered the family and did a sacrifice right then and there.”

 

“But - there weren’t only three of them?” Keryn asked.

 

“No - actually from the layout and decorations of the house, they had three children. One older son, one younger son and one younger daughter.” Captain Ko shook his head: “And if you want to know, it’s a Blue Envelope case now. ”

 

“What number?” Kevin narrowed his eyes, and asked the captain without delay.

 

The captain did not answer, and just sighed and looked him straight in the eyes.

 

“It’s 1149 isn’t it. It’s Blue Envelope 1149?” Kevin stood up from his chair, raising his voice with each word: “Captain, YOU gave us the number! You led us on this investigation! You - you manipulated us!”

 

“I wouldn’t call it manipulated.” Captain Ko sighed and shook his head: “You were looking in that general direction already. And I pointed you and Marcus the right way. I could not look into it, I cannot look into it. But what I can do is help cover your tracks more or less when you’re looking into it.”

 

“That - that’s still manipulation!”

 

“Kevin, calm down a little.” Keryn pulled Kevin back while looking into his eyes and shaking her head: “So - can you tell us about what you have here? What’s happening? What happened to your wife?”

 

“No, and it’s none of your business.” Captain Ko narrowed his eyes. Keryn was not prepared for this blunt an answer. She was left speechless for the moment.

 

“What about Brooklyn Payne then? What’s he got to do with this?” Mick asked.

 

“He was my partner when handling that case. And it was through that case he was introduced to everything as well. He, too, has a copy of that note.” Captain Ko shrugged: “And - he got a little too greedy with the ask, that’s the real reason he was ousted from the force.”

 

“But why does he want a deal with you?” Kevin huffed and asked: “How can you help him with what he has?”

 

“We started from the same note but we did not pursue the knowledge the same way.” Captain Ko scratched his nose: “Or, to the same extent. I used my position and access to learn a lot more than he does, even some relatively taboo arts and rituals. To get rid of his curse, he needed some very specific sacrificial rituals and materials. And I can help him with that. In exchange, he promised to not interfere with what you do, and to get some of his, uh, more troublesome employers to back off.” 

 

“You mean, like Bensons?” Keryn asked.

 

“Yes. Like them. And some others. Brooklyn Payne was not a good cop, arguably not of many good qualities. But he’s resourceful and experienced in what he does. Call it private investigator, handler or fixer.” Captain Ko sighed: “And - he wanted out. Hopefully after all of this what he had would be enough.”

 

“He’s leaving the city?”

 

“He had way more than enough to leave the city, pay the tax and start a new life elsewhere. But he wanted more, he wanted luxury when he would be out of here.” Captain Ko shook his head: “And what can you do? People don’t like to be told they probably won’t be able to live to spend their wealth.”

 

“Where is he now?” Mick asked: “If he knows these people, then we can probably ask him for ways to contact - ”

 

“No. I tried.” Captain Ko shrugged: “And for his own safety he couldn’t tell us any more. But he did tell me this, and I was waiting for a good time to gather the squad, but I guess now is as a good time as any - a powerful employee of his tasked him to find this Luo Zhuge. And this coincided with our investigation into this guy’s direction.”

0