Book 2 Chapter 160. Meeting The Spy (Part 2)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Kevin and Keryn eventually decided to go with the captain on their visit to the city council, while Mick had no choice but to follow them, as there was still no indication that what happened to the precinct and with Tyler Khan was handled.

 

The only thing they can be sure of was that Marcus was safe, for he sent Kevin a short and cryptic message saying he was caught in something but was hiding now, and that he would come back as soon as possible. Kevin tried calling, but it appeared that Marcus had turned off his phone. So right now all he could do was send a coded message to Marcus, telling him to find the captain first.

 

A group of cloaked men came to gather the two men that had been cuffed, as well as the dead body already wrapped in plastic. Keryn grunted as the men in a van drove away - she had somewhat of a theory on who those men were, yet she seemed to be in no place to say anything.

 

“I can tell you have your reservations.” Captain Ko shook his head as he drove his plain looking van out of his second garage from the side, with all three unexpected guests covered in blankets, sunglasses and hats.

 

“Yeah - those are - they are gang members, aren’t they? They’re fixers and cleaners from local mafia?” Mick asked, in almost complete disbelief: “You - how can you work with them? Captain? How can you - you’re a man of the law!”

 

“Life’s complicated. And it gets way harder when you’re mixed up with things like ghosts, spirits and questionable rituals.” Captain Ko sighed as he drove into the main road: “And they are the professional types, all you need to do is pay them - ”

 

“How much is it? To pay them?” Kevin asked as he looked out the van window - the cars driven by the men who came last night were gone.

 

“Not much this time, our invaders brought my payment with them when they came.” Captain Ko shrugged.

 

“Are they - are they like, actual gangs, or are they like - like Chef Tang’s?” Mick asked, hesitating his phrasing.

 

“Well, first, commendations to you on knowing how Chef Tang’s is like.” Captain Ko chuckled: “And to answer your question - they’re somewhere in between. Gray areas, if you wanna call it that. I’ve been dealing with the paranormal world for years now, and they have been - instrumental to my gaining the experience and knowledge that I have today.”

 

“How many groups like them exist in the city?” Keryn asked after some hesitation.

 

“Counting Chef Tang’s, I’d say at least three of them. This one just happens to operate in the cross section between our district and the South-Eastern.”

 

The city hall was quite busy even at this early morning. There were protesters in front of the city hall, holding signs condemning the city’s inaction against the rising crime rate. They saw a few parents holding up signs of their missing children as well.

 

“What are you here for?” Before they could enter the building, the guards stopped them.

 

“I am Captain Mathis Ko of the 17th precinct in South-Western District, I am here with my officers because I have an urgent meeting with Councilman Ding’s office.” Captain Ko answered.

 

“Alright, go in then.” The guard pushed the door open for them.

 

When they went into the councilman’s office, the councilman was not at his desk - there were no documents or folders on it either. It was clearly a sign that he had not been here for a while.

 

“Wait - where’s the councilman?” Keryn asked.

 

“He’s on vacation with his family. Lucky for us we’re not here to meet him.” Captain Ko pointed at the sofas in the far corner of the room, a mini waiting or resting area.

 

“Alright, what do you need? You know it’s not - not good optics that you just come and barge in like this.” The secretary of the councilman walked in, clearly, visibly displeased.

 

“Bri.” Captain Ko straightened himself, then extended his hand at Kevin, Keryn and Mick: “This is Mr. Kevin Loo, our forensic technician, Detective Keryn Lance and Officer Mick Cramer. They’re all from my precinct. And everyone, this is Ms. Bri Fung, the secretary of Councilman Ding, and the one who actually does most of the work he claims credit for.”

 

“Greetings.” Bri Fung nodded at the three following Captain Ko, then stared into Captain Ko’s eyes: “Just tell me. What do you want?” 

 

“You know what I want. I gave you that list last week.”

 

“And I told you that I couldn’t just give them to you. Even with my access, there are a lot of checks and hops I need to go through. They are classified as Blue Envelopes, after all.”

 

“Bri.” Captain Ko looked back at her: “I NEED this. Please, if you give me those files now, I will owe you a huge favor. Name anything.”

 

“It’s not that simple. ” Bri narrowed her eyes as she glanced through the three that followed Captain Ko here: “And to be honest, I don’t think it’s wise to discuss this in front of others - ”

 

“Bri, I beg of you.” Captain Ko grabbed Bri Fung by her hands as he leaned in close: “For past times’ sake, and trust me I would never, ever ask this of you if it wasn’t for something dire.”

 

Bri Fung hesitated for a moment, then retracted her hands: “What’s the situation? What’s so dire about it?”

 

“Dire enough that I would suggest you leave the city, as soon as possible, no matter your decision on the files.” Captain Ko sighed.

 

“Why? If I don’t do it, or do it slowly and carefully, what’s the risk for me there?”

 

“Because those who know. And I mean those who KNOW. Things are coming for them.” Captain Ko sighed: “Last night, when they came to my door telling me that an investigator from the community collective had led a group of unidentified men into my precinct, I thought something was off and way out of line. But then I made some calls - and I wonder, haven’t you wondered why certain high profile figures in your district had disappeared?”

0