Book 2 Chapter 170. Intel Run (Part 2)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“We're - we’re just not sure if the tea means anything and worried that it would be rude to - ” Gloria stammered a little when answering.

 

“No, it’s just ginger tea, no other meaning behind it.” Chef Tang shrugged: “Because - I have heard some trouble exploding in that new apartment complex. And I assumed - now I know, it is you two. So ginger tea might just be what you need after that kind of fighting - to perk you up a little.”

 

“Okay, then thank you Chef.” Gloria and Marcus picked up the cups at the same time and chugged the tea down their throats.

 

“Anything interesting you found from those who are chasing you?” Chef Tang leaned his waist on the table in the middle of the room, nodding: “Any idea who these people are? Who they work for?”

 

“I know. At least they have a certain connection to the community collective.” Marcus shrugged: “And it all kinda started with - ”

 

“Wait wait wait.” Gloria interjected as she raised her hand at Marcus: “What - uh, what’s it worth to you? Chef? What’s the price you’d put on this piece of intel?”

 

Chef Tang laughed out loud without answering for a few seconds, then shook his head: “Oh, young Gloria, you’d make a good broker here. My people will let you know when we’re hiring, come in for an interview, huh?”

 

“O - okay?” Gloria scratched her head: “And?”

 

“That information is not really worth much.” Chef Tang shrugged: “We already know there are some - ill folks who infiltrated the city and the community collective. It’s absolutely expected. And - I don’t know what caused your conflict, but judging from what both of you have been looking into, I’d guess that already.”

 

“How about some personal items of them? So items given to them by their superiors to help protect them from - occupational hazards.” Marcus asked.

 

“I can identify and appraise them for you, and if they’re interesting enough I can give you extra, otherwise it’ll cost you instead.” Chef Tang raised an eyebrow at Marcus: “But let’s cut to the chase, shall we? You’re not here to trade gossip. You rang that bell for a reason. You have some REAL intel to trade. So, why don’t you just ask your questions first, then tell me what you know, I’ll tell you what the differences are, and we can get on with our day?”

 

“Sure, Chef. ” Gloria sighed and shook her head. After exchanging looks with Marcus, she pulled out a string, at the end of which was a small copper concave mirror. “First of all it’s this thing. We took it from a group of henchmen who were trying to attack us when we’re investigating the area around the old ruins. They’re using it as some kind of protection.”

 

“This is an interesting attempt at a mirror artifact. ” Chef Tang took the small mirror, took a quick look then set it down on the table behind him. “What else do you have?”

 

“We’ve gone inside the old ruins. And by ‘inside’, I mean inside inside, we get to the inner gar - inner sanctum.” Marcus nodded at Chef Tang: “And we met with someone inside.”

 

The entire room became silent when this sentence dropped. Chef Tang’s eyes narrowed as he stared at the faces of Marcus and Gloria. None of the three in the room spoke. This uncomfortable silence lasted almost minutes.

 

“It’s been - quite a while since that happened.” Chef Tang sighed and leaned back on the table’s edge: “Tell me this - how did you get in?”

 

“Wait - you believe us? You know someone who’s gone in before?” Gloria raised her voice: “This - this is quite big!”

 

“Yes.” Chef Tang shrugged: “And - pardon my directness, you knew one as well, right? Ms. Lee?”

 

“I - ” Gloria’s face dimmed.

 

“My apologies. ” Chef Tang shook his head: “And I miss that stinky friend of yours too.”

 

“It’s fine, really. ” Gloria sighed and took a deep breath: “What’s it worth to you, about what we learned from the one inside the ruins?”

 

“It depends. But it’s got really good potential.” Chef Tang chuckled: “But - spare me the trailer and teaser, huh?”

 

“Before we proceed, do you know who is inside?” Marcus thought for a moment before asking.

 

“Yes.” Chef Tang responded with a coy smile: “The Lady in White, isn’t it? Someone ancient, someone magical. Someone powerful.”

 

“And do you know who she is?” Marcus nodded: “I ask, because I have a really good theory - ”

 

“Save it then. I know of that folktale as well. ” Chef Tang raised his hand to cut Marcus off: “And folktales become fantasies, fantasies become legends, legends become myths. Much is lost in every step.”

 

“Unless there’s a definitive link to what we’re all facing today.” Gloria stepped forward: “And I believe we - my friend who’s not with us, found it.”

 

“Oh, and what is it?”

 

“Shyurak. ” Gloria raised her right index finger: “Someone used a wood carving of Shyurak as a conduit of dark spells during that - that underground temple incident.”

 

“Oh, and what of it?”

 

“In order to use wooden carvings as conduits or catalyst for spells, you need an actual connection to the things the carvings resemble. But Shyurak’s been dead for god knows how long, if what the folktale is to be true.” Gloria took a look at Marcus, with an insinuating smile on her face: “So - in order for this spell to work, you need two factors. One, the dragon actually existed; two, the dragon left enough energy or power behind. There’s also the off chance that people believe in it enough to make it manifest, but I doubt it. ”

 

“I see. ” Chef Tang’s eyes opened slightly: “Good thinking, Ms. Lee.”

 

“Thank you.” Gloria chuckled: “The detective did most of the work anyway.”

 

Marcus looked at Gloria, just in time to catch her wink. She then did a “sleeping” gesture while moving her mouth.

0