Ch 39 – Popularity List
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shuichi opened his popularity list app. Above the list was written “The app will only show the top 15. Top 5 are people protected by instant healing. People who are dead or already have been protected by instant healing are not shown.” 

The list said:

1. Kokichi Ouma
2. Kyoko Kirigiri
3. Miu Iruma
4. Kaede Akamatsu
5. Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
6. Sonia Nevermind
7. Gundham Tanaka
8. Sayaka Maizono
9. Aoi Asahina
10. Nagito Komaeda
11. Maki Harukawa
12. Shuichi Saihara
13. Chihiro Fujisaki
14. Ibuki Mioda
15. Keebo 

“Hey, what the hell?! Why is an annoying bastard like Kokichi literally at the top of the list?” asked Kaito, irritated. 

“Wow, didn’t you know? I look adorable!” said Kokichi with a childish smile.

“Who made this popularity list Monokuma?” asked Kyoko with a frown.

“You think I’ll just tell you if you ask confidently?” asked Monokuma with a laugh.

“I’m guessing the people who are masterminding this game, right? You’re trying to control us using this list! Most likely it’s going to be updated live depending on how we behave in the killing game” said Shuichi as he eyed Monokuma for reactions.

“I don’t have to answer everything. But yes, this list will be updated live” said Monokuma robotically.

“So, just like last time, you can’t do as you please. Despite Maki attacking you, you went easy on us without much punishment. Is that because our lives have entertainment values in this killing game?” Shuichi interrogated with confidence.    

Monokuma looked at Shuichi blankly.          

“Alright, sure. But the killing game has only started. How come Chiaki’s position was so high in the popularity list that she was defended by the instant heal? And why the fuck am I that high on the list?! I didn’t do shit to entertain any killing game enthusiasts” raged Fuyuhiko.

“You and I are probably high up because of our cute baby faces and adorable behavior” said Kokichi with a laugh.

“Shut up you annoying piece of shit!” yelled Fuyuhiko.

Shuichi looked at the list again. It was possible that the list was the way it is because the investors and the masterminds of the killing game ranked them based on first impressions. But…there was also another possibility. A possibility much more likely.

“It’s because you guys, including me, are part of Danganronpa” said Shuichi.

“Dangan, what?” asked Kazuichi. 

“It’s a fictional universe. The killing games that happened in Hope’s peak academy, Jabberwock Island and Academy for gifted Juveniles are all part of Danganronpa and their fictional story.” said Shuichi.

“Could you explain that in more…detail?” asked Makoto.

“You would understand if you listen to the cassette” said Shuichi.

“Well, it’s time for me to go. Gotta deliver the rest of the phones” said Monokuma and went away as he carried the bag.

Monokuma swiftly entered the portal and disappeared. 

Shuichi sighed. He looked at the killing game participants who aimlessly looked at their phones. Then his eyes fell upon Nagito and Korekiyo.

“So umm, Nagito, Korekiyo. You guys do know you’re not in the most trustable positions right?” asked Shuichi.

“Yeah. But I thought you forgave us” said Nagito.

“Yeah. I did. But I’m not sure you guys are willing to change. People could always lie, in fact they always do” said Shuichi and his eyes moved to Kokichi.  

“Shuichi, you don’t trust them?” asked Kaede, concerned.

“Whether I trust them or not isn’t the problem. The problem is whether they trust themselves. Whether they trust in love, in change, in a better future for themselves.” said Shuichi.

“What do you mean by that?” asked Korekiyo, his eyes narrowed.  

“I’m rambling. But the point is. I think Fuyuhiko had a point. Not in trying to beat up Miu. But in taking your phones. I think those phones hold great power. And I bet Monokuma would make it extremely convenient to buy weapons to murder people with the money you have” said Shuichi.

“Hahaha, assuming you even need to buy anything. I found an actual bomb just lying around on the fifth island. Monokuma wants killings to happen. And the easiest way to make a killing happen is to improve the quality of weapons that are at people’s disposal” said Nagito.

“Yeah. But in any case, can’t let you keep holding onto your phone. Korekiyo, Nagito, I would like to take your phones.” said Shuichi.

“Hmph, so your trust in us was temporary and manipulative afterall.” said Korekiyo with a cold tone.

“No, I still trust you. I trust in everyone and their inner love. But you don’t trust that you’ll find happiness , peace, love within yourselves. You want killings and conflicts to happen. You enjoy it just like Monokuma does. Without killings happening you don’t know how to distract yourselves from your meaningless lives.” said Shuichi with scolding eyes.

“I assure you I am not a low level killer like him, driven by revenge and paranoia. My killings are for the sake of love. For my beloved sister.” yelled Korekiyo as he hugged his own body in a snake like fashion.

“Love yourself. You’ve killed dozens of people in your fictional history cause of your so called love. And I doubt that your sister is actually real” said Shuichi.

“But in fact I am real. Would you mind if I come close to you and give you a demonstration of my realness” said Korekiyo after he pulled down his mask to reveal his lipstick.

Korekiyo took a step towards Shuichi in which Maki quickly interfered between them. Her eyes were sharp and deadly.

“It was just a silly prank, little girl. Why so desperate?” Korekiyo said in a woman’s tone.

“A class trial won’t happen if I kill you. There is nothing stopping me.” hissed Maki. 

“Maki stop! Why do you always have to jump to killing as a solution” yelled Kaito from next to her with anger.

“Korekiyo. I don’t want you to die. But I also don’t want my other friends to die either. It’s just for protection’s sake” said Shuichi calmly.

“Well, you make it seem as if your intentions are pure. But we all know that true trust can never happen between strangers. People who only knew one another for a few days in the killing game.” said Korekiyo.

“I mean, it’s also because you’re a serial killer. Even if your memory is fake, that fake memory is controlling you” said Kaito.

“Fine. You can have it” said Korekiyo as he pulled out his phone towards Maki.

Maki quickly grabbed the phone from Korekiyo and gave it to Shuichi.

“Nagito?” asked Shuichi.

“I was just wondering, if I give my phone to you, can’t I just get another phone from Monokuma?” said Nagito with a casual smile.

“Then we’ll just get that new phone from you again. When you get a new phone, the old phone gets deactivated, remember? So we would know” said Shuichi.

Nagito scratched his hair. 

“Yeah, I get it. What if I need my phone for an important event tho? I bet Monokuma would ask us to do something with our phones” said Nagito with a worried face.  

“Then you’ll just get your phone back temporarily” said Shuichi.

“Okay, well, someone like you surely would figure out what to do when new challenges happen” said Nagito brightly.

Nagito gave his phone to Maki.

“Give it to Kaito.” said Shuichi and Maki did as she was told.

“And what about Miu?” asked Fuyuhiko.

0