Chapter 33: First trading mission
23 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 33: First trading mission

"Brave heroes," Madeline looked like she wanted to ask something great of them, and for that, her eyes were downcast. "If we do not deliver our produce to Orestria, it will spoil."

"So, just pack it in a bottomless bag and give it to us. We were heading over to the capital anyway," Rina said. Madeline handed them a bag, and a man stepped forward.

"This is our chief merchant, Arnold," the mayor said. "He specializes in produce. Please, take him along and bring him back safely."

"We will, you have our word," Thomas assured her, and he heard a couple of sighs coming from the crowd. The tips of his ears reddened. How he wished that he could turn off the mana that sipped into his voice. It was getting annoying for him to be fawned over because of his voice.

All his life, he had craved attention much like what the people were giving him now. To be thought of as a hero. A brave adventurer that rescued people and slayed monsters.

Now that he was getting what he wished for, he could only feel the embarrassment bubbling up in his chest. Maybe he wouldn't have minded it this much, if the people were appreciating his slimes and his capabilities in controlling them. Yet, they did not do that. Instead, they urged him to talk and sing. He felt like a circus performer.

"The Slime party will take you up on this quest," Rina spoke, then she turned to Thomas. "I have always wanted to say this."

Thomas grinned at her, as she looked ready to squeal. The merchant looked between them with a bit less faith than before.

"They seem a bit young," he said to the mayor.

"No one can doubt their bravery," Madeline told him, cutting off any other protests. "You leave right now. We can't dally even an hour more. The produce was picked two days ago."

"We will get it delivered today. Karl, step forward," Thomas ignored the wistful looks of the crowd, and watched as Karl stepped forward. He looked to be a darker shade of blue, probably thanks to the ebony he had eaten. All of his slimes did.

"Sir Arnold, you will be riding with me, Rina, you will be riding on Pavos, if it's ok with you?" Thomas asked. Rina nodded.

"As long as it is ok with Pavos," the elf looked at the slime-wolf with big and wanting eyes. Pavos huffed, but got next to Karl.

"Jar, Yar, you will just have to follow us. If that is ok?" The summoner asked, and the two crocodiles got behind Karl and Pavos. They would be too slow to be the ones leading. Thomas was of the mind to race back to Orestria.

The three mounted up, and Thomas patted Karl's head three times.

"Come on, Karl. Show everyone you are the fastest," Thomas urged, and got a competitive look in his eyes.

"Pavos will be the first to arrive," Rina said with a chuckle, then she spurred the slime-wolf to a run. Thomas blinked, and then bit his lower lip.

"That is cheating, Rina," he called after her, and was answered by laughter. "Then, I will cheat as well. Karl, fly."

"Wait, fly?" Arnold gripped Thomas harder, as Karl flapped his big wings and took off in the air. "I didn't sign up for this."

"Don't panic, he won't drop us," Thomas just hoped that Karl was strong enough to fly all the way to Orestria.

The valley gave way to the forest, and Thomas looked down. Pavos was below them, slightly ahead of them.

"Come now, Karl. Fly faster," the dark-haired adventurer urged. He wanted to win this race. If he did not, Rina was going to be insufferable for the next couple of days. He knew that much.

"Faster, but we are already going at such a great...ahhhhhh," Arnold's words were cut when Karl began to fly faster. "Oh, mother above, please have mercy."

Thomas chuckled at the panicked merchant. He felt free. Never, not once in his life, had he moved at such a speed. Well, technically, he was not the one to move, but Karl was.

The white walls of Orestria became visible after an hour. Thomas looked down. Pavos was lagging behind, no matter how much Rina urged him forward. Jar and Yar were even further back. Then, much to Thomas's displeasure, Karl began to dive.

"Karl, keep on flying," Thomas commanded. They needed to land before the gates to win, not in the forest where Pavos's legs could have the advantage.

"Can't... tired..." Karl landed and Pavos ran pass them. Thomas heard the giggle that came from Rina, and urged Karl forward. Instead of running, Karl began to walk.

"Oh, come on," Thomas whined. Then, he hung his head. The race was lost. Today was Rina's day. Even Jar and Yar managed to run pass them. "You need endurance training, buddy."

"So...do...you," Karl bit back, as he lumbered through the forest. The gates became visible after thirty minutes, by which point both the merchant and Thomas had gotten off Karl, to make it easier for the slime dragon to walk through the forest.

"Hey, slowpokes," Rina said with a shit-eating grin.

"Karl had to carry two people," Thomas bit back, not liking the teasing that was about to come.

"Well, I will not race with the two of you on my way back. You either go in a normal speed, or I am telling mayor Madeline that you are too childish by far. Let us see if you get any more transport missions after that," Arnold snapped. Then, he went to the guards.

"Hey, Arnold. It has been a long time since you last came," one of the guards said, offering his hand.

"The dungeon was a big problem. These two solved it. Adventurers that will race during an escort mission, can you believe it?" Arnold grumbled, and the guard shook his head.

"Kids these days," he looked at Thomas and Rina, who were bickering among themselves on whatever it was fair for Rina to have won, seeing as she had been the only passenger on Pavos's back.

3