Chapter 52: Mockingbird
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 52: Mockingbird

"This is outrageous! I will have Damien's head for this," the lord was pacing back and forth in the cell. It was making Teri dizzy.

"Chances are, he will have ours," Thomas said, eyes downcast.

"You three came from Orestria, correct? Were you working with the guild this whole time? Why have you come?" Lord Vermont demanded to know.

"A hooded man gave me a bag with medicine to deliver. The people of Drumm village wanted a path to Yaranhold that didn't pass through the Mammoth's graveyard," Thomas answered him. "The guards took all our bags."

The summoner was quick to add, when the lord's eyebrows furrowed. Vermont sat down and ran a hand through his hair.

"Do you know anything about trials here in Yaranhold?" He said weakly.

"We have never been here. The only thing we know of this place is that it is isolated," Teri said.

"We worship the God of War here," at the lord's words, cold sweat ran down the bodies of the adventurers.

"A coliseum fight? Without our weapons?" Rina managed to get out. "This barbaric practice has been outlawed!" 

"While I admit that we need a better justice system than to throw criminals at the bulls and wait to see if they can outrun them, I have to tell you three I am in no position to stop the fight to come," the lord noted at his manacled hands.

"Lucius will be here to stir up trouble before that happens," Rina said, putting faith in the vampire's ability to make it pass the guards.

"He won't," Thomas murmured. "That is not his style."

"What do you mean?" Teri asked.

"He will ply the mayor and the council with honeyed words. Wait for the rest of the guild to show up. Then, he will attack," the words were bitter, but Thomas believed them to be true.

"Even in here we know of the Blood Bane. Damien will try to appear agreeable to him," the lord agreed. "I should have taken control of this city last month, when I became of age to become a lord."

"Quiet in there," the guard on the other side of the bars barked.

"Prisoners on death row are allowed to speak, guardsman," Vermont snapped.

"Traitors are not. Unless you want me to fire a water spell inside the cell and see how well you outrun bulls with fevers, I suggest you shut your traps," the guard snapped.

"Master, I have a preposition," Chem said in Thomas's mind.

Thomas looked around wildly. It didn't look like the rest had heard a thing. He pressed a hand on his forehead. His skin was burning.

"Yes, you have a fever. But it is time you let me help. There is a special boss in the Alchemist's Lair that might be of use. That is, if you want to live," Chem told him. Thomas relaxed on the hay that should have served as a bed, and closed his eyes.

"Sure, tell me what you think we should do," he thought.

"You should stay put. The mockingbird will do everything. Allow it to come to Yaranhold," Chem urged. Thomas opened his eyes and stared up at the ceiling.

"What will it do?" He asked.

"Sow discontent. Frame the mayor. No one will ever find out, if you don't tell," Chem said.

Thomas was before a dilemma. Maybe the mayor simply didn't want to believe in the warning that the Slime party had given him. Might be he was not a bad man.

Yet, that didn't matter. Lucius was crossing the entrance on the side of the city, being escorted to the castle. They didn't have time.

"Do it. No one has to know," the dungeon master felt a boss shrink in size, then turn invisible. The mockingbird flew outside the dungeon and towards the busy streets. Thomas closed his eyes, and saw through the bird's.

The markets were still busy. People were mixing about and doing some last-minute shopping before the sun set. The bird perched on a stall covering, and zeroed in on a guard.

"The mayor wants you in the castle. Release the lord," the mockingbird said in the tone of a nearby councilman who was passing by. The guard stood at attention, and nodded at the councilman, who gave him a strange look.

Thomas watched as the man left his post, and headed towards the castle. The bird was not done.

"The mayor wants us all dead," the councilman looked around when he heard his own voice. Some people glanced his way in shock.

"I didn't say a thing," the aged man spoke.

"The mayor will let the Orestria adventurer's guild plunder Yaranhold," the councilman heard his own voice again, but couldn't pinpoint from where.

People began to make steps back, away from the stalls.

"Don't panic, good people. This is just a prank that someone is playing on us all," the councilman attempted to calm the people.

"Hey, wasn't there a party with slimes that tried to speak with the mayor earlier?" Someone asked. "The slimes are still outside the city."

"Councilman, we demand the truth. What did that party want to tell mayor Damien?" A fruit stall vendor asked, her voice shrill.

"They accused the king of wanting to destroy our fair city, but the king would never do something like tha..." the bird opened its mouth, and Thomas saw the sharp teeth in the beak. It flew to the councilman, and landed on his shoulder.

"Lies. I wanted us to bow our heads, but it is all lies. The Orestria adventurers are coming with fire and violence. Here to plunder. The mayor will be the only one to be spared," at that, people began to run and shout.

Thomas watched as the bird got off the councilman, tugging at something. The man fell on the ground, not that anyone but Thomas noticed.

"A soul eater?" Thomas thought, feeling sick to his stomach.

"The mockingbird always takes her due," Chem told him. Thomas said a prayer for the councilman, and closed his eyes. Waiting for the guard to come and get them out of the cell. 

2