Chapter 2: The zone
111 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: The zone

"Now, what sort of food do you have?" Lucius asked him, as he began to lift the weights again.

"Well, I have pork, ham, eggs, cucumbers," now that Thomas had listed it all, he found that he had eaten the same things for two months.

"That won't do. Pork is in the red zone. Change it for chicken. Half a chicken breast is three blocks of protein," Lucius told him. Thomas blinked. Two blocks? What did that even mean? Seeing his confusion, Lucius elaborated.

"You have to eat balanced meals. One block of protein, with one block of fat, and one block of carbohydrates. In total, you need to have four meals. Three blocks each," Thomas's eyes bulged. How was he going to lose his weight, if he ate four times a day?

"Lucius, I don't think," Lucius snorted, interrupting him.

"There are three million people on this diet, around the world," Lucius told him. "I have helped people lose weight and keep it lost with it. But if you don't want to put in the work..."

"No, no, I didn't say that," Thomas was quick to say. He had begun many diets. He could give this one a chance.

"Ok, so, I will give you the menu for tomorrow. You will eat one slice of bread, which is two blocks of carbohydrate. Eight cherries, will add another block of carbohydrates. One egg, boiled, which is two blocks of protein. Add to that two small slices of ham. Then, you will eat six almonds, which are three blocks of fat. Add to that half a cucumber, and you will get three blocks of everything. Any questions?"

Lucius looked at Thomas, who was writing everything down.

"And for the other meals?" Thomas wanted to prepare them beforehand and carry them to the guild. He just didn't know when he was going to eat the third meal, as he only had a lunch break.

"You will eat one slice of bread, eight cherries, half a chicken breast, six almonds and half a cucumber for each meal. I am not trying to get you to make something complicated for now, so that your motivation won't grow wax," Lucius told him, and he turned back to lifting the weights.

"Uhm, you said something about exercising," Thomas reminded him, dreading the answer.

"Right, let me show you," Lucius placed the weights on the stand, and got up. He led Thomas to where the tools were, and he picked up one that looked like a sphere, and had a handle.

"This is all you need. A kettlebell," Lucius said, and he spread his legs open. Then, he bent, and placed the kettlebell between them. After that, he swung it between his legs, and then rose it high. He repeated the action a couple of times, as Thomas watched him.

"Doesn't seem hard, does it?" Lucius asked. Thomas shook his head, and reached out towards the kettlebell.

"This one is a twenty kilogram one. Take the four kilogram one, to start with. The weight number is on the handle," Lucius pointed at the rack with the tools, and Thomas went and picked the kettlebell that had a four on its handle.

It was heavy, as much as the shopping bags he usually had to carry. Still, he spread his legs, and swung it between them.

"Not like that, the back has to be straight," Lucius patted Thomas's back, and the receptionist straightened it. "Spread your legs a bit more. Get your feet at the same level."

Thomas did all this, and waited.

"Now, do thirty repetitions," Lucius told him, and he got in position next to Thomas. "On three."

Thomas looked around the training hall. There had been a time when he had wanted to be an adventurer. But most exercise had been beyond him. Fat since he had been very young, he had not had high hopes, just dreams.

"One," Lucius said, and Thomas bit his bottom lip. This was the first step. If he could do this, then he could do everything.

"Two," Thomas thought about all the failed diets that saw him with all the lost weight back, and about the same among on top. This was the first time he was adding exercise to the mix. He dared to hope again.

"Three," and they began to swing the kettlebells. Thomas could feel heat spreading around his limbs. His stomach tightening. It was a good feeling. One that made him breathe faster, and to swing in sync with Lucius.

The vampire was counting each swing. When he reached thirty, he looked at the receptionist with a smile. Thomas's cheeks were bright red, but he was smiling.

"This was..." Thomas had no words to describe this feeling. He felt like he had walked all over Orestria, yet, he didn't feel tired. There was a pleasant buzz in his brain. One he found he quite liked.

"The minimum is seventy, but you look like your muscles have atrophied. We will fix that. Exercise is so that you won't look skinny-fat after you lose all the weight. We will put some muscle on you, Thomas, or my name is not Lucius," Thomas grinned at the vampire. Imagining how he would look like, if he had more muscle on him.

Would he be able to get into an adventuring training program? It was so boring, and disheartening, seeing all the adventurers come back from quests. Never being their equal. Never being able to share anything exciting with them.

"About your payment," Thomas said, and Lucius showed him a corner of the training hall.

"Go place your arm in that machine. It will get the blood out of you. Just a liter," Lucius pointed at a machine that was set up in a corner. Thomas went to it, and placed his arm inside. He felt anesthesia being applied on the spot, then, a needle pricked his flesh.

A green light appeared on the machine, and Thomas was allowed to take his arm out of the machine. He stared at the filled bottle that the machine spat out. Lucius walked to him, and took the bottle.

Thomas didn't stick around to watch the vampire drink his blood. Instead, he waved for goodbye, which was returned, and went shopping.

9