After the End C23
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Debbie woke up and headed straight for the bathroom.  Last night had been the first one she'd spent at home in a few days.  Both her Dad and Claire, her sister, had made not very subtle hints about her "new boyfriend", both having seen her getting out of Stevo's Mini a couple of times after he brought her home.  Debbie decided to let it slide for now, she ignored the comments as much as possible.  They would know the truth soon enough.

After a quick shower, she sent a text to Kahlil, telling him she'd be by the gym later, before putting the kettle on for a morning cup of tea.

Claire came in and sat at the kitchen table,  looking either cute or ridiculous in an oversized Pokémon onesie, Debbie couldn't decide which.

"What are you up to today Debbie, I've hardly seen you lately?"  She asked. 

"I've got an online interview for a teaching course at lunchtime, then after that I am heading to the gym.  What about you?"

"I spoke to Dad about spending some of the money Mum left me on driving lessons.  He said it was a good idea, so I'm going to pop round to see Kirsty, remember her from school?  With the pink framed glasses?  She works in Lidl now. Her Dad's a driving instructor.  Hopefully he can give me some lessons."

"Sounds good Claire, you'll be driving in no time I bet!"

"Then I can get a nice Mini Cooper like your fella!" Claire said that as she darted for the door and ran upstairs laughing.

Debbie sighed.  She of course knew there was little point in learning to drive, but she still wanted to be happy for her sister.  She'd told a white lie about her 'online interview' as well.  Once Claire leaves the house, Debbie planned on doing a mission. 

She sat at the kitchen table, sipping her tea, the radio on in the background.

"The mysterious death of the residents of Anderson, Alaska, has puzzled the authorities thus far.  Today the US government sealed the area off from members of the public and journalists.  Homeland Security agents advised residents of nearby settlements to consider evacuating for a time.  It is thought that this voluntary evacuation may become compulsory in the near future. "

Debbie didn't know for certain that this was the first domino to fall, but it felt like it.  Would she be ready?  Could her friends keep her family safe and build a new life?  She would do everything she could, she knew that.

While she was waiting for Claire to go out, Deb decided to check the store pages and see if she was lucky.  She started scrolling through the rings for sale, and there it was!  "Ring of Enlightenment".  They were six gold coins each.  Debbie currently had 5 gold, 3 silver and 8 copper.

She quickly sent a message to Kahlil and Stevo.

"Rings available! 6g each. Need money!"

Within two minutes both Stevo and Kahlil replied. Stevo's message said :

"Only got 4g 4s, but you can have it.  Will be at the inn later."

Kahlil's message simply said.  "Come to gym, got money for you."

Claire called out "see you later", then Debbie heard the door slam shut.  She messaged Stevo and Kahlil.

"Doing a mission now, will stop by inn afterwards, gym after that."

Pulling up her choices she decided she would maybe even try to do two missions back to back to get money.  She wanted a ring for her sister. Her father was perhaps a bit old, but maybe he could find a safer profession, like Stevo becoming a healer.  She needed 12 gold to keep them both safe.

Option 1.  South Otten needs supplies to rebuild after recent fighting.  Escort a convoy of good and building materials.  Danger: low  Reward: 20xp, 1 Silver, 5 copper.

Option 2.  A band of villagers fought off a group of assorted undead in South Otten.  The remaining enemies fled into the nearby woods.  Hunt them down. 

Danger: High.  Reward: 55xp, 3 silver.

Option 3.  Patrol South Otten, protect the village from any undead raiders.

Danger: Moderate.  Reward 30xp, 1 mystery item. 

The chance of a mystery item made Debbie's decision easy.  Even if she didn't get a ring, she might get something else exciting. 

After the obligatory moment of "falling", Deb found herself speaking to a man who introduced himself as Peeter. He warned her to be careful of the skeletal warriors in particular.  He'd been injured by one and had to be healed by a stranger called Stevo.  Debbie suppressed a smile, this was the man who had broken his leg, Stevo had healed him with ease. With a pat on her shoulder and good wishes, Peeter dissappeared into a nearby building. The door was scorched, but the building seemed otherwise undamaged. 

As Debbie began wandering the village, she realized that almost half the buildings bore the marks of the recent battle.  It must have been quite a fight!

She overheard several conversations as she passed between homes.  The people here were in good spirits, despite their recent misfortunes. The only exception being a small shack where she heard an elderly woman sobbing, lamenting the loss of her son. 

Debbie became aware of a shuffling noise coming from around the corner of the shack, and she gripped her mace in anticipation. Her glow ring provided a little extra light, although it was not fully dark at present, and the ring wasn't that effective in twilight.  Deb had wanted to upgrade her mace, but she hadn't gotten around to it yet.  It would do the job. 

Finally the creature lurched around the corner and Debbie came face to face with her first Zombie.   It's appearance was terrifying, with the left side of its face completely deviod of flesh, but even this was overshadowed by the horrific stench it emitted.  It was like old, rotten eggs, and vomit!  Debbie's sinuses rebelled and her nose started running!  The Zombie was armed with a simple wooden pole, it lifted it overhead, before attempting to bring it down in a chopping blow.  Debbie's strength allowed her to block the pole with little effort, and she drove a front kick into the chest of the decomposing creature, lifting it off the ground and throwing it several meters backwards. Quickly Debbie closed the gap, and smashed the skull of the zombie with a chopping blow of her own.  Her mace obliterating the Zombie's cranium. 

Enemy Defeated! 5xp awarded! 

Nice, thought Deb, as her eyes scanned her surroundings.  All clear, for now.  Debbie was "in the zone" after killing the Zombie.  Her mission had become "seek and destroy", her mace would bring rest at last to any undead she met. 

Her next victim was a Skeletal warrior, armed with a short spear of a type usually used for stabbing in close quarters combat. The Skeleton was simply too slow to threaten Debbie, who dispatched it with a short burst of focused violence. 

She'd seen no signs of trouble for a couple of hours after that, and that probably contributed to Deb getting sloppy.  Another skeleton had jumped off the roof of a building attempting to sink a dagger into her neck from behind.  Fortunately Debbie reacted just in time to partially avoid the attack, instead just receiving an unpleasant cut to her shoulder.  The pain from the wound sent Debbie into a furious rage, and she smashed the ribs of the skeleton, before breaking it's arms, then legs, and only caving in the skull of the helpless beast. 

The last two kills had each given 5xp, making 15xp for the mission so far.  Debbie decided to rest for a moment.  She drank a healing potion, which rapidly shrank her wound. Whereas there had been a steady trickle of blood before, now it was just the odd drip.  Soon the cut would be completely closed.

After what felt like a couple of hours, but was probably less than ten minutes on Earth, the sun started to rise.  Debbie wandered up a narrow path that emerged close to the village square, where Peeter met her once again. 

"Good job Debbie!"  he said with a smile, before his eyes relayed the message of Debbie's bloody clothing to his brain. His face fell. 

"You are wounded!  Let's get you off your feet!" 

"I'm fine Peeter, thank you though.  It was only a glancing blow, and I drank a healing potion."

Mission Complete!  30xp awarded.  1 mystery item awarded. 

Level up! 

Debbie was back in her bedroom. Immediately she looked to see what the mystery item was.  She didn't get the ring, but she was intrigued by what she did get. "Merchant's Moneybelt.  A leather belt, with concealed storage space for up to twenty coins.  This one currently holds: 1 gold, 2 silver, 6 copper." 

She could afford a ring!  Immediately she bought one, this was for Claire.  Then Deb noticed that she could actually sell the empty money belt for 2 silver, which replenished her finances a little. 

Next stop, the inn in Drebun to meet Stevo.  When Debbie arrived, she was surprised to see that Stevo was sitting with Kahlil and another man.  He looked a little familiar, then turned his head slightly.  Mr. White! 

If you are enjoying the story, please consider a donation.  Thanks. 

0