After the End c28
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stevo woke late to the smell of bacon.  Last night had been the most stressful of his life.  Having to explain everything to both Alan, and his mother, was a nightmare! Luckily everyone was there to back him up, or his mother would have had him sectioned!  Adam in particular had done a fantastic job of smoothing the troubled waters.  There were tears, as Diana realized the full impact of what had been said.  That she wouldn't be returning home any time soon, if ever.   Alan just seemed bemused by it all.  He kept repeating that he should be dead, and thanking Stevo over and over.  Clearly deeply shocked.

As he climbed out of bed and threw on a pair of shorts and a semi-clean t-shirt, he wondered what today would bring.  Apart from a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea, which is what his mother handed him as he walked into the kitchen. 

"Anything new this morning?  He asked, suppressing a yawn. 

"Nothing yet, but it's going to get worse fast. The government have mobilized all military reserves.  Parliament is sitting in emergency session this weekend to discuss events." Adam said frowning. 

"What should we do?" Asked Debbie. 

 "Should we stay here, or can we visit the other place and get some levels?" Stevo wondered. 

"I think we need to leave at least two awakened here at all times, just incase things go south fast." Kahlil said, earning a nod of agreement from Adam. 

"I think I'm going to drive into town and fill my car up with last minute supplies.  But I will be back as quick as I can." said Stevo.

"Can I go with you?" Asked Diana. 

Stevo nodded in the affirmative. 

Claire spoke up.

"I'm only level two, I'd like to try and get a level today, whilst I can." 

"I'll go with you." Debbie replied.  I almost have enough gold for another ring. 

"You have enough for two more now Debbie, I forgot to mention it last night, but I brought ten gold with me, along with a note from the King thanking you for your service to the country."  Adam said, before adding, "I'll stay here for now, but I may have to leave for a while when Stevo gets back." 

"I don't know what I should do?" Alan asked. 

Kahlil walked in, heard Alan's question and replied,

"You should try to rest a bit, after last night.  If you feel ready to help in some way, you can keep an eye on the news, and make a note of key events.  We'll all meet back here this evening and you can bring us all up to date." 

"What are you going to do Kahlil?"  Debbie asked. 

"There are a load of sandbags that need filling, then I'm going to start stacking them." 

"I'll help you when I get back."  Stevo offered. 

Kahlil's phone buzzed. 

"Safe in Bavaria.  Very busy, seemed like most people were on the move last night. Take care Bro!" 

Kahlil smiled, relieved that his brother's family were safe. 

"My Brother's family are safely in Bavaria." He announced.

------

A couple of hours later Alan was sitting in front of the TV, becoming increasingly horrified as various reports came in.  He could hear Kahlil and Stevo shoveling sand into bags outside, and had offered to help.  They had refused saying, quite reasonably, that he'd had a heart attack less than 24 hours earlier, and even Stevo didn't know if his heal would prevent another one.  They had agreed that in a few days he could do something physical if he still felt good. 

Diana brought him a cup of tea. 

"How does the news look?"  She asked, knowing that she wouldn't like the answer. 

"Grim.  The Koreans are still fighting each other, and China appears about ready to attack Taiwan.  A pack of vicious wild dogs, if you can believe that, ran through Nice in France, killing four people and injuring nine more.  The cherry on the cake though is that scientists think there has been a nuclear explosion in Alaska.  Probably something to do with what Adam told us last night about the Americans fighting waves of undead.  God, listen to me!  How ridiculous do I sound?"

"Yes, it sounds crazy.  We both know that it's true though.  Our families, and their friends, have a part to play in seeing the world through this.  We need to stay calm and support them." Diana surprised herself with her words, and the strength of her conviction when she said them.

"You are right Diana, it's just a lot to take in at once. From what they told us, I guess those dogs in France aren't really dogs.  How long until something like that happens here?"

"When it happens, we'll be ready, we'll deal with it, and we'll survive." 

About 6pm they were all in the kitchen, when there was a knock on the door. Alan went to answer it, and was stunned by what he found. The Home Secretary, 3 seriously tough looking bodyguards, and the Prince of Wales. He quickly waved them inside, where their appearance stunned the rest of the group, killing the conversation. 

The Home Secretary spoke up. 

"Thanks to Debbie here, these three large gentlemen, and His Royal Highness recently became enlightened. They need to level up quickly, and we can't spare anyone to help.  We were hoping you could help us out."

Stevo responded, "I am going to Drebun this evening. They can come with me, meet Gregoor who will put them to work." 

"Thank you Stevo, that will be excellent."  Said William. 

"No problem Sir.  Mum I hope you made plenty of stew, these guys look experts in making food dissappear."

There was plenty of stew and soon everybody was eating.  Conversations started around the table. Alan was briefing most of the group on the days events. Stevo was giving the prince and his 3 meaty guards they lowdown on Drebun, whilst Adaam and the Home Secretary were discussing the worsening situation around the world, Kahlil interested when the German military was mentioned deploying to protect Bavaria and Berlin. 

The tasty chicken and vegetable stew was soon polished off.   The Home Secretary and 2 Personal Protection officers made short work of the washing up, then Stevo's group headed off to Drebun. 

They arrived just a Gregoor was assembling a group outside of the inn for a mission. They quickly joined the group. 

"This morning the temple was overrun by a group of skeletons. The priest was taken hostage. A large fire has been built on the land adjacent to the temple. We have learned that the priest will be burned tonight as part of a dark ritual. Our task a deceptively simple. Destroy the force at the temple, rescue the priest, and prevent the ritual."

Gregoor finished speaking. This was the largest group Stevo had been part of, numbering 15 including Stevo's party.  It was going to be quite a battle. 

As they began their march to the temple, Stevo had a chance to assess his charges. The three protection officers were all armed with weapons perfectly suited to fighting skeletons. A mace, a spiked iron club and what could only be described as a war hammer would be effective at smashing the bones of the enemy.  Stevo was less optimistic about the prince. Who was equipped with a rapier, great for stabbing flesh, which the enemy didn't heve.  Stevo made a decision, and gave the prince his club. He was mostly going to hang back and heal. The prince would do far more good with the club.   He nodded his thanks to Stevo. 

A small group of skeletal warriors standing guard outside the temple compound spotted the approaching group. They howled the alarm, and charged the group, getting obliterated in the process, only one of them did any damage, landing a glancing blow on the blacksmith, before the mighty War hammer of one of the protection officers smashed its skull into dozens of tiny fragments. 

A larger group had responded to the alarm. This group included two cyclopses each armed with a Gladius. After a short while most of the skeletal warriors had been subdued, one of the two cyclopses faced off against Gregoor, and the second had the injured blacksmith backed up against the wall of the compound.  Stevo

Subvocalized his shocking spark, sending a jolt of electric energy towards the eye of the cyclops facing Gregoor.  It screamed in pain, temporarily blinded, whilst Gregoor sliced its sword arm, severing it at the elbow.   The point of the prince's rapier appearing through its leather jerkin seconds later, killing it. 

The second cyclops had been so intent on trapping the blacksmith that it neglected its own defense, not realizing that it's guard of two skeletal warriors had been destroyed. As it swung it's gladius, hacking at the arm of the wounded Smith, it was struck between the shoulder blades by the spiked club, knocking it too its knees before William hit it over the head with Stevo's club, killing it. 

Stevo cast his heal, mostly to help the Smith who was weak from blood loss and whose arm hung limply at his side. In addition to helping the Smith, several of the others including one of the protection officers were healed of minor wounds. 

At this moment the sky took on a warm glow as the large fire was lit.  There was a commotion as the priest, hooded and tied was dragged out of the temple by an enormous horned humanoid with blood red skin and black tattoos on his face.  The creature was over 7 feet tall, plus his horns, and armed with a trident.

Stevo sent a shocking spark into it stunning it momentary, allowing the priest to escape its grip and roll to the relative safety of the group.  The giant was enraged and lashed out with its trident, skewering an apprentice carpenter, killing him in an instant.

Stevo got it's attention and began luring it towards the fire Gregoor and the prince getting behind it.  Stevo hit it again with a spark distracting it as William and Gregoor attacked it from behind, striking at its legs. It fell forward, face first into the fire. It roared in pain as it's face burned on the flames, Gregoor and the prince stabbing it repeatedly in the back until it finally died.

They untied the priest and withdrew to the inn, their good spirits tempered by the death of the apprentice. 

0