Chapter 4 – Blood Red
183 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The warning repeated endlessly, while showing videos of dungeon monsters wrecking havoc.

All the monsters looked breathtakingly beautiful.

I watched the footages of absolute carnage absentmindedly, not breaking out of my trance until the warning repeated for the fourth time.

I zoomed out from the T.V and went into the other rooms.

The girl was still hungry. If I could find a few fruits, maybe I could drag it to her?

There must have been a reason why the tip was 'Explore the world', after all. I should be able to find some kind of food to bring to the girl.

I finally found the kitchen after a bit of searching. I only wanted to take an apple and a small piece of bread, if possible.

I wouldn't be able to sleep in peace if I made this family starve to feed someone else.

I had already subconsciously accepted the nonsensically strong emotions I felt towards this game.

A bunch of fruits caught my eye.

'Those two will be fine even if I take an apple. They won't starve to death. Not to mention, they'll be getting emergency rations too.' I reassured myself.

I didn't open the shelves and cupboards because I didn't want to make any noise.

The A.I of this game was surprisingly humanlike, so I didn't want to scare the NPC's. Even though I had a tiny tinge of curiosity and wanted to see how the NPC's would react, the logical part of my brain warned me not to.

Before taking the apple though, I searched the house to see if there were openings to take the apple out into the outside world.

While I could pass through the walls, the apple probably couldn't.

Luckily, I found a pet flap on the main door.

It was big enough to push an apple through.

I went back to the kitchen and carefully picked up an apple from the basket of fruits.

By the time I had moved it out of the kitchen and into the corridor, though, a forced smile stretched my face.

With my right eye occasionally twitching, I gently placed the phone next to me, onto the bed.

I cupped my face with my hands and took a deep breath in.

I glared at my phone.

I took another deep breath in while taking a drastic decision.

I… will turn on music.

Yes. With headphones on.

Situations like this warranted it.

I simultaneously felt both slightly embarrassed and extremely cool.

Embarrassed by my chunibyo behavior, cool because I was currently imagining a scenario in which I would gain powers when I listened to songs.

I even had a whole anime scene playing out in my head, with epic background music playing while I put headphones on in slow motion, while other characters' eyes widened dramatical-

'Ahem.'

I coughed in my mind after putting my headphones on, to clear my scrambled thoughts.

I put on my favorite song and narrowed my eyes, entering into my ultra focused state.

I entered the game once again.

I patiently dragged the apple, trying my best to not make any noise.

Since the T.V wasn't put on high volume either, the couple would definitely hear any noises I made.

After I reached near the hall, I lowered the apple, holding it barely above the floor.

The middle aged man was immersed in the T.V, switching channels to see if there was any more news about the current situation, while the woman scrolled through her phone, so they did not notice the apple that had quickly scurried behind their sofa.

I placed my phone on the bed, and put both of my fingers onto the screen.

I gently pushed the apple through the pet flap with my left hand's finger, while faintly tapping on the pet flap with my right hand's finger to make sure it did not make any noise while closing.

Miraculously, I managed to bring the apple out without making any noises.

I could've just dropped the apple out and then dealt with the pet flap, but I didn't want to dirty the apple.

Especially since Adelle probably had no means of washing it.

Pleasure bubbled in my heart as I dragged the apple towards the alleyway. Was this how a bird felt when it was successfully able to bring good food for its chicks?

Suddenly, I felt uneasy.

'...Would the girl even still be there?'

I momentarily forgot that Adelle was supposed to be an NPC.

Relief washed over me when I saw her trying to snuggle up to the wall, her eyes once again dull.

'Ah. I'm so dumb. I should have tried to bring a blanket too.' I regretted, realizing she was cold.

I tapped her with the apple.

She flinched like a cat and turned around alertly.

Her eyes twinkled when she saw the apple.

She grabbed the apple, immediately taking a large bite from it.

I felt quite satisfied seeing her eat so happily, feeling a renewed sense of appreciation for the food I had taken for granted.

Right at that time, though, a bone chilling roar pierced my ears.

I turned around using my finger, and froze when I saw the sky.

It was blood red.

Author's Note:

This is how the alleyway Adelle was in looked--

 

The music during the anime scene she imagined is like the AOT BGM that comes in during titan scenes.

 

Also, do you like her antics (internal monologues, her chunibyo antics) or do you want them to reduce?

5