Chapter 3 – An Apple
184 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
A NOTE FROM DEATHISBESTWAIFU:
I've made an edit to the first chapter!
I had accidentally said that time would flow faster in the game worlds, but I've edited that. Time of the game worlds and the real world is the same. If one minute passes in game, one minute passes in real life.
Also, I made a discord server! -- 
https://discord.gg/HpYC6r88Ye
***

I looked at the pop up that had covered my screen.

 

'Congrats on performing a divine action for the first time, godling.

 

You probably have almost run out of divine power, considering you are still merely a blessed human.

 

Creating something requires a lot of divine energy. On the other hand, moving objects is much less energy consuming.

 

It is time for you to be assigned your first task.'

 

*DING*

 

A cool little jingle played after which I noticed a logo of a world that had cracks running through it appear next to the shop icon.

 

 

I was slightly disappointed that there was no voice over this time that explained what to do next, and instead only a text box. Especially considering that the voice was quite pleasing to the ear.

 

Well, that was to be expected. They couldn't voice over every little thing in the game. That'd cost way too much money for far too less returns.

 

The font of the text in the pop up instruction box was aesthetically pleasing, though, so it wasn't all bad.

 

I tapped on the screen.

 

The text inside the box slithered and merged into each other, forming a new message.

 

'Ooh. They really pay a lot of attention to small details like these, huh?'

 

For example, even though an instructional text box had popped up and slightly blurred the background, the girl I had fed still flinched back onto the wall and trembled, in reaction to my action.

 

It was extremely cute.

 

'No, not the fear part, rather her actions were inherently cute.

 

I'm not a creep, I swear.

 

….I'm only even trying to justify this to my own mind because I'm not a creep.

 

Man. I really have to get rid of this habit.'

 

I had once again lost myself in thought, arguing with an invisible entity on why I wasn't a creep.

 

I shook my head and focused on my phone.

 

'Convince the orphan that you are not, in fact, an evil ghost / monster, but instead a nice goddess which wants to help her.

 

Rewards-

 

Gain two more DP and become a 'Divine Human'.

 

Unlock the main storyline.

 

Tip-

 

Explore the world around you.'

 

I tapped on my screen again.

 

The text box shrunk in size and entered the world logo.

 

I was once again left alone with the orphan and the occasional sounds from the world around her.

 

The orphan still absentmindedly stared at the dirty wall in front of her, her eyes out of focus once again.

 

She reminded me of a dead body. Unmoving, lifeless, lost... Especially her eyes. They had no traces of life, of vitality in them. The girl's eyes honestly made me feel a headache creep in.

 

She was just a little girl. She was at most, what, thirteen years old? That's already a stretch, and she honestly looked like she was ten. If not for the fact that I considered she was malnourished, I would definitely say she was ten with great confidence.

 

And such a young girl had eyes that looked like that? Now, that couldn't be allowed. I wouldn't let this continue.

 

….well, what do I do to change that, exactly?

 

All I had gotten was a vague hint to 'explore the world around me'. It was obviously not referring to the real world, but rather the world that the orphan was in.

 

So, that's exactly what I'll do.

 

I like exploring the worlds that games present anyway. That's why I play a lot of open world games.

 

I looked at the husk of a human in front of me and decided to give her a little surprise before going on my voyage.

 

I gently touched the screen where the girl's cheek was, trying my best to just barely graze the screen. Since even a normal tap seemed to frighten her, I was being really gentle.

 

Blood pressure raisingly gentle.

 

I had genuinely not known how hard it was to get your phone recognize soft taps till now.

 

Ironically, the frustration I felt from trying to use a minimal amount of force made me want to use a huge amount of force and throw my potato phone onto the ground.

 

…I wouldn't get a new one anytime soon, though, which made my anger fade away.

 

One of my gentle taps was finally registered, and the girl lifted her head up. The girl looked at a location that was a bit further up than where the game's perspective camera was positioned, though, but her twinkling eyes still made me smile brightly.

 

Alright! I would venture on my journey of enlightenment now!

 

I dragged my finger across the screen, and exited the alleyway, ending up in a deserted street.

 

Based on the houses and the tattered path, I inferred that I was in a rural village.

 

I dragged my screen again, aiming to enter one of the houses.

 

Luckily, it seemed that the houses weren't just props.

 

A middle aged couple sat in cozy chairs, abnormally close to a medium sized T.V, with their eyes glued to it. The TV was barely audible, too.

 

'Oh, T.V's exist?'

 

I had just instinctively assumed that this game wasn't set in the modern world after I saw the village.

 

Medieval fantasies were trending these days, after all.

 

I raised my phone's volume in order to hear what the news channel was saying clearly.

 

I pinched my fingers out on the screen and zoomed in towards the T.V.

 

This house probably had news running on the T.V purposefully, as a way to provide some hints to the player.

 

"Thirteen dungeons have opened all over the world at once.

 

Please stay in your homes, and do not engage with any abnormalities.

 

The Hunter Guild has advised people living close to the dungeon breaks to make as little noise as possible.

 

Emergency rations will be teleported in by hunters.

 

Do not step out of your houses.

 

Thirteen dungeons have-"

 

The warning repeated endlessly, while showing videos of dungeon monsters wrecking havoc.

4