Chapter 203: Smiles and Flowers (pt. I)
110 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Gather here! Gather here! We sell cheap salt!"

"Missus! Would you like to buy some pork?"

"Hold on, that's too expensive! Lower it!"

Noises, noises, and more noises. Such was the atmosphere in the market so early in the morning as the vendors and buyers bantered and bargained with one another. It was as lively and noisy as one can be.

Also in the market were a couple of familiar faces, walking ever so freely, many eyes looking at them from time to time. A silver haired elven beauty and a handsome young man, walking side by side, chatting as casually as one can be.

"Grey, is this enough?" [Yuna]

"Yeah, it should be... Well, unless you want to eat more, we can always go back and buy more." [Grey]

"Hey! I'm not that much of a glutton!" [Yuna]

The two figures were, of course, Grey and Yuna who are buying a couple things for their daily necessities and ingredients and spices for their meals, sugar being one of their top priorities. It was something Yuna had reminded Grey every single time.

As one would expect from people hailed as heroes by the populace, many of the vendors tried to give them discounts, some even wanted to give them away for free. Of course, they refused their offers. Their sentiment was already more than enough.

And now, the two are currently arguing about something silly. Yuna is pouting her face cutely like a small animal and Grey only chuckled, looking at her warmly. After all, no matter what Guna does, it would always be adorable in his eyes. He's just a fool for her.

"Well, even if Yuna's a glutton. You'd still be the cutest in the world. Aren't I right, my dearest and cutest Yuna?" [Grey]

"G-Grey! Stop saying those things! What's up with you? Why are you acting so bold all of the sudden?!" [Yuna]

"Nothing, really. It's because my Yuna is the cutest." [Grey]

"Grey!" [Yuna]

The teasing continued and Yuna's face only became redder with time. Well, it wasn't only her who was getting embarrassed, Grey is also a little flustered saying all those limes himself. He's just better at hiding his emotions.

Of course, as they were in public, they weren't just flirting in the open. There were a couple of barriers preventing sounds from getting out. Not only does it prevent others from eavesdropping, it would also keep their embarrassing words all to themselves. It was killing two birds with one stone.

Grey only released the barrier when he was done teasing Yuna, feeling happy and satisfied. Meanwhile, Yuna was pouting and blushing at the same time. She swore in her heart she'll get her revenge on him one day.

"Grey... Just you watch... I'll get you back for this..." [Yuna]

"Hahaha. I'm looking forward to it." [Grey]

Yuna's words were in no way threatening at all. If anything, they only sounded like music in Grey's ears, truthfully looking forward to whatever his girlfriend could think of. A happy mood was about him.

The trip home continued, and seeing a few shops and stalls, they stopped from time to time to get some treats themselves with some snacks. It wouldn't be a shopping spree with Grey and Yuna without a little bit of snacking, after all.

"Mister Vendor, two cups of noodles please!" [Yuna]

"Oh! Two cups for our heroes coming right up!"

There was only enthusiasm in the man's voice as he prepared a serving of noodles for Grey and Yuna. It wasn't just him. All the shop owners and vendors treated them the same, warm and welcoming smiles on their faces.

Only a couple moments later and steaming hot noodles were ready to be served. The vendor didn't let Grey and Yuna wait any longer and handed it to them, their eyes sparkling with excitement as they received it gracefully.

""Thank you for the food!""

As soon as they received their bowls of noodles, Grey and Yuna immediately gave their prayers, getting their forks soon after and feeding themselves a delicious treat.

The noodles were neither too firm nor too soft, not very chewy nor mushy either, just perfect. The toppings weren't just for decorations either, they were also exquisite. Not to mention the excellent blend of spices. It was a true masterpiece.

"Mmn~! Mister's noodles are amazing! The flavors just melt in your mouth! I can't stop eating!" [Yuna]

"Right? Especially the toppings, they're very tender and flavorful." [Grey]

"Hahaha! I'm glad to hear that! You can eat more if you like!" [Yuna]

The quick dining continued and happy faces bloomed here and there as Grey and Yuna finished their noodles. There were also a few other dishes aside from the noodles, so they both gave them a try too. They were about to go home when...

"Miss, Mister, would you like to buy some flowers?" [???]

A small girl approached them cheerfully, a beaming smile on her face. She was about the same age as Elnart, just a little younger. And with her were several colorful and beautiful flowers, all neatly wrapped and arranged, holding them so preciously.

"Hm? Flowers?" [Grey]

"Yes! Would you like to buy some, Mister?" [???]

The little girl asked, continuing to beam her smile. It was a smile which was hard to resist against. The very weakness of Grey and Yuna. No matter how powerful they were against beasts and monsters, they are still soft towards children.

"Then, how much is each one?" [Grey]

"It's 3 kiels each!" [???]

There was no hesitation in the little girl's voice as she flashed three fingers towards Grey and Yuna. It was easy to see that she was used to selling flowers in the streets and greeting people. Such cuteness was just too much.

"3 kiels, huh..." [Grey]

"A-Ah! I-If it's too expensive the 2 kiels is okay..." [???]

"Hm? 2 kiels?" [Yuna]

"O-One kiel is okay too..." [???]

Sadly, no matter how used she is with selling flowers, it doesn't mean she was good at negotiations. They hadn't even started bargaining yet the little girl already started lowering down the price by herself, her voice trembling ever so slightly as she tried to maintain her smile.

It was only natural. After all, flowers sold in places other than flower shops and stalls are often overlooked by people. It goes without saying that those who sell flowers in the streets barely sell and don't make much.

Still, it was better to earn less than earn none at all. Such was the little girl's mindset as she lowered the prices just to sell some flowers. Seeing her act in such a way only made Grey and Yuna feel saddened.

"No, that isn't right. Since you said it was 3 kiels first, then we'll buy it for 3 kiels. Is that alright?" [Grey]

"R-Really?! You'll buy flowers?!" [???]

"Fufufu! Of course... So, how many do you have left?" [Yuna]

"Umm... I have... One, two, three...." [???]

Numbers filled the air with a sweet melody as the little girl counted the flowers one after another. Though she doesn't understand why Grey asked him to do so, having experienced it for the first time, she still did so, a joyous smile blooming on her face.

"22... 23... 24... It's 24! I have 24 flowers left!" [???]

"24... Then that would be 72 kiels all in all.... Alright, we'll buy them all. Here, you can keep the change." [Grey]

Said Grey as he happily handed a bronze coin towards the little girl. And the little girl, receiving a bronze coin for the first time, felt nothing else except excitement, clenching the coin tightly, afraid that she'll lose it before putting it inside her pouch.

Of course, Grey and Yuna also received the flowers from the little girl. They'll be using those as decoration in their house, planning to put them inside a vase and enchanting them to last longer. It was a win-win situation.

"Th-Thank you very much... Umm..." [???]

"It's Grey. The name's Grey and this here, beside me, is Yuna." [Grey]

"Hello~! You can just call us Big Sis and Big Bro if you want." [Yuna]

"Y-Yes! Big Sis, Big Bro, I-I'm Bella, thank you so much! I'm sure Mom will be happy because I sold all the flowers!" [Bella]

Stuttering from both nervousness and excitement, Bella introduced herself to Grey and Yuna, smiling brightly from ear to ear as she expressed her sincerest gratitude. The pure innocence of a child wanting to see her parents proud.

"Fufufu! No worries. Just make sure to take care on the way home, okay?" [Yuna]

"Yes! I will! Thank you so much!" [Bella]

Thanking them once again, Bella soon left with a little nod and her hand waving in the air. The smile on her face has yet to disappear as she headed off towards the horizon, slowly but surely fading away with distance, leaving Grey and Yuna behind.

"Such an adorable child, wasn't she?" [Grey]

"Un! I wonder if Princess Natalia will grow up brightly like her one day." [Yuna]

"Haha. That surely is something to look forward to." [Grey]

Talking about the little princess and the future, Grey and Yuna's walk back home continued, chatting their journey away with various topics at hand. Soon, they were back home, heading to their own work to spend the rest of the morning on.

The sun continued climbing up the sky and soon, the late afternoon had arrived. The sky is about to turn amber and the two are finally done with their work. All that there was left was to deliver them back towards the guild.

And since they finished at about the same time, they decided to hand in the items together. First, they headed to the Blacksmiths' Guild to deliver the High-Grade bow Grey just made. After which, they headed to the Alchemist Guild to hand over the batch of high-grade potions Yuna made.

"I have confirmed the items... Thank you for your hard work, Miss Yuna. Here is the reward for the quest." [Receptionist]

"Un! Thank you as well." [Yuna]

Everything done and dusted, Yuna received the rewards for the quest and gave it to Grey for safekeeping. They were about to leave the guild when, in the corner of their eyes, they saw a little familiar figure standing by the reception desk.

It was a little girl, black hair tied in a ponytail and red eyes sparkling like rubies. With how short she was, she needed to tiptoe just so she could talk with the receptionist, a familiar, cheerful voice drifting in the air.

"Sorry, but you can't buy it just yet." [Receptionist]

"Then, then, how much more do I need?" [Bella]

"That's..." [Receptionist]

That figure was none other than the little girl they met before, and to her question, the receptionist is wearing a troubled face, hesitating to answer. She knew the price full well and was having a hard time saying it to the little girl, especially with how cheerful Bella was.

"Hm? Bella?" [Yuna]

"Ah! The Big Bro and Big Sis from before!" [Bella]

Thankfully, Grey and Yuna were there to break the ice. As soon as she saw them, Bella's bright face quickly beamed and a smile. She was a cheerful child, looking like she didn't have even a single problem.

"What are you doing here?" [Yuna]

"Ah... I want to buy that..." [Bella]

Said Bella, pointing to the shelves behind the counter where a couple common products were displayed. There were potions, cosmetics, chemicals, medicine, and a lot more. But the one Bella was pointing to was an elixir.

What is an elixir, one might ask? They are potions which aren't used to heal wounds and injuries but cure diseases, poison, and curses. In other words, they are potions which cleanse the body. They are also colored red, distinct from green healing potions and blue mana potions.

"An elixir...? Is someone in your family sick?" [Yuna]

"Yes... Mom is not well. Dad said we need an elixir so I sold flowers to buy one... But my money isn't enough..." [Bella]

A bright child with a bright smile, yet hidden behind such a smile was a hard reason. It isn't uncommon for children to work in Merusia, they mostly do so so that they could buy things they wanted or because they have no choice.

As for Bella's case, it is a mix of both situations. She wanted to buy something with her money and because it's the only way she could earn money. It breaks Grey and Yuna's hearts seeing such a bright child suffer such circumstances.

"Then, how much money does Bella have right now?" [Yuna]

"Umm... I have this much!" [Bella]

A cheerful smile on her face Bella showed her money pouch to the two. Inside were a single bronze coin and several nickel and copper coins, making a cling and ching every time the pouch was shaken. There were about a couple hundred kiels in total.

"Hm? Isn't this enough for an elixir?" [Yuna]

"Really?!" [Bella]

"Ah... Umm... Miss Yuna, she would like to buy a High-Grade Elixir. It's quite expensive, so..." [Receptionist]

The short cheerfulness Bella felt was now gone as her hopes were crushed once again. It was only natural. After all, a High-Grade Elixir would cost 15 thousand kiels on the market. It's not something a couple hundred kiels could compare to.

Another pressing matter was that a High-Grade Elixir was not something which would be bought for common diseases. Needing it would mean that the disease was a major one which is hard to cure with Merusia's medical technology.

"Bella, about your mother. Could you tell us about what kind of sickness she has. I'm just curious." [Grey]

"Umm... I don't know too..." [Bella]

"Then could you tell me what symptoms she has?" [Grey]

"Ah... Well..." [Bella]

There was hesitation in her voice at first, but soon, such hesitation cleared up. Bella then told Grey and Yuna what kind of symptoms she knew her mother was suffering.

According to her, her mother would cough intensely very often, had a pale body, heavy breathing, and would sometimes have seizures. It has been going on for a couple years already and now, her mother is bedridden. To make it worse, as of recently, she has been coughing blood from time to time.

Though Grey isn't knowledgeable about sicknesses, he knew full well that it wasn't one which could be looked at lightly. At the worst, it could be a fatal sickness which could cost her her life, something which would only be cruel to a young child.

"I see... So that's how it is..." [Grey]

There was a moment of silence after Bella gave her piece, not even the receptionist said a single thing. They didn't know how to break it to the little girl, afraid to hurt her in the process. It was a difficult situation.

"Then, Bella, could we go to your mom? We might have a way to get rid of her sickness." [Yuna]

"Really?! Mom would be good again?!" [Bella]

"Un! She'll be healthy again!" [Yuna]

"O-Okay! I'll bring you to Mom!" [Bella]

There was only one thing they could do, and that was to do what they have always done, helping people. They might have just met the child recently, but that doesn't mean they could just abandon her. Everyone should receive equal help no matter who they were.

Though... There's just one thing that bothered them. It was that Bella trusted them too quickly. They don't know if it's because they bought all her flowers in the morning, but they knew that she'd be in trouble if something like such would happen again.

"Bella, listen closely, alright? And never forget my words. You shouldn't easily follow strangers, got it?" [Grey]

"Yes!" [Bella]

There was a cheerful reply, but they don't know if she really understood what they were getting at. It was really worrying. They could only pray and hope that the little girl would learn to distrust people a bit more.

After exiting the guild, everyone then headed towards Bella's home. It was quite a distance away from the guild, located several hundred meters away, chatting on the way there to relieve the child's worries and shift her attention to different things.

"Mom, I'm home~!" [Bella]

Such an excited voice danced in the air as Bella opened the door, welcoming Grey and Yuna inside. It was just a normal home with a normal layout and furniture, not too gaudy nor to bleak. It was cozy.

If there was something noteworthy, it would be the excellent handicrafts which caught Grey and Yuna's attention from time to time. There were small charms, sculptures, and the likes. Things one would see in a souvenir shop.

After entering the house, Grey and Yuna were then led to the bedroom where a lady in her mid-twenties was resting. She had similar black hair as Bella, and though she was pale and sickly, it was easy to tell that she was a beauty.

"Mom, look! I brought Big Bro and Big Sis!" [Bella]

"Oh dear, it seems that we have guests...." [Bella's Mom]

"Yes! Big Sis and Big Bro were the ones who bought my flowers before! They're really, really nice people!" [Bella]

It was as if she faced not a single problem. With such a beautiful smile, it was hard to say that she is faced with such a difficult situation. Even then, she was very cheerful, telling her mother many stories, excitement painted on her face.

"So you were the ones who bought Bella's flowers this morning. I've never seen her smile so much before. Thank you." [Bella's Mom]

"No, we were just doing what we could. The flowers were very pretty," [Grey]

"Un! And Bella's smile was just so adorable, it was hard to refuse buying her flowers with such a beautiful smile!" [Yuna]

"Fufufu! I'm glad to hear that." [Bella's Mom]

She was smiling just as brightly as Bella, only more gentler and more refined. Now, Grey and Yuna knew where Bella inherited her lovely and beautiful smile. They really were mother and child.

"Oh, how rude of me. I'm Bella's mother, Marianne. Nice to meet you." [Marianne]

"Nice to meet you as well. I'm Yuna, and this is Grey!" [Yuna]

"It's our pleasure." [Grey]

To their names, Marianne has some sort of little reaction. She had heard the names before but couldn't quite point out where. Since she is inside all the time, she didn't know who the two youths were and just acted normally. It was lucky for the two.

"Mom! Mom! Hear this! Big Sis and Big Bro said they could help you!" [Bella]

"My, really?" [Marianne]

"Yes! Big Sis is an alchemist so she can help! Mom will finally be better!" [Bella]

"Fufufu! I'm looking forward to it then." [Marianne]

She was flashing a smile as if she was perfectly alright, but Grey's eyes could tell that that wasn't the case at all. Her sickness was much worse that what Bella has said, and while he doesn't know what it was exactly, her status screen displayed the words "Severely Ill". A dangerous status.

It was a very grave situation. Even if Bella were to somehow get her hands on the High-Grade Elixir, it would only be futile effort. After all, for such situations, what one would need was a Superior-Grade Elixir. One which had a market value of 1.5 million. A truly dire predicament.

Even now, though she was smiling ever so brightly as much as she could, both Grey and Yuna could tell that she was just enduring the pain she felt. They could only imagine what kind of things she's feeling with such a happy outward appearance.

"Would Dad be happy?!" [Bella]

"Fufufu! I'm sure she will." [Marianne]

Smiles were all over the place, both bright and cheerful. Yet even with such blinding brightness, darkness brewed strongly like a storm, hidden behind a mask. Truths and illusions, two sides of a coin, the same but different.

Well, such darkness will soon fade away like a passing dream. They have yet to discuss the situation, but it was already clear what they must do. But for now, they just wanted to observe the smiles a little longer.

It isn't wrong to be selfish, right?

CHAPTER 203 END

4