Chapter 204: Smiles and Flowers (pt. II)
113 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Bella, can you please brew tea for us?" [Marianne]

"Ehh~? But I wanna listen, too..." [Bella]

"Come now, we don't want Big Bro and Big Sis to feel thirsty now, do we? Come on, pretty please~!" [Marianne]

The little girl's cheeks puffed as she pouted, but even with her cute way of protesting, she still followed her mother's request, a bright smile soon blooming on her face as she headed to the kitchen all the while skipping her steps.

Who were left in the bedroom was none other than Marianne, Grey, and Yuna. As soon as Bella left, a silent atmosphere loomed about them. Marriane then looked at Grey and Yuna's direction, still flashing the same bright smile.

"Sorry I can't provide you any better accommodation. I would have loved to serve you tea myself, but as you can see... I'm not really in a state to move." [Marianne]

"No, it's alright, bur... Missus Marianne, are you alright?" [Grey]

"Hm? What do you meanー" [Marianne]

"We know that you're still in pain. It's alright to relax yourself a little bit. Bella's not here right now." [Grey]

Hearing Grey's words, Marianne's face showed traces of surprise. She once again looked at the two youths before her, finding only worry and sincerity in their eyes. What followed after was a short sigh coming out of her mouth.

"It seems like I can't fool everybody, huh..." [Marianne]

At the end of her statement, Marriane's face which was once brightly smiling was now a little contorted and gloomy, finally showing the stinging pain she tried to hide from her daughter. Her face now looked more natural, her sickness really showing, a few coughs following soon after.

Well, it wasn't only a pained facial expression. Her hands and whole body were also trembling ever so slightly, feeling numb and cold. Just sitting up on the bed is already taking a toll on her body yet she stayed sitting, trying to be accommodating.

"Missus Marianne, you can lie down if you want." [Yuna]

"No... I should sit every once in a while. It's hard to breathe while lying down. It's the few pleasures I can endure." [Marianne]

Yuna tried to be considerate, but Marianne stood firm. She simply closed her eyes and breathed out a breath of fresh air. Though her whole body was pained, she tried her best to stay strong and accommodate the two.

"Anyway, I heard you are able to help me? I appreciate the thought, but as you can see... we really can't afford any sort of treatment right now." [Marianne]

With Marianne's words, everybody's eyes looked around the room. While it was true that it wasn't one one would consider bad, and just normal, normal citizens couldn't exactly afford thousands of kiels worth of medicine. It was only natural that she was pessimistic about the thought.

Well, with the minimum wage being at about 80 kiels a day and professionals working for about double the wage, it isn't exactly easy to save thousands of kiels. At the very least, it would take months worth of work. Not to mention that they also have to pay for living expenses. It was really difficult.

"No, we're not here for the money. We can treat you just for free!" [Yuna]

"E-Excuse me...?" [Marianne]

"Yuna... That way of explaining is... You can't just suddenly spring that up, you know? People would get shocked by that." [Grey]

"Eh? Why not? It's fine, isn't it?" [Yuna]

"No, that's... You gotta say it more slowly..." [Grey]

Grey and Yuna in their own little heated discussion, Marianne's face couldn't be any more confused as she looked at the two youths. She has yet to comprehend Yuna's absurd statement, her mind drifting in oblivion.

"E-Excuse me! What do you mean for free?! I mean, treatment costs thousands of kiels! G-Giving it for free is just plain absurd! It doesn't make sense!" [Marianne]

And Marianne finally broke. Yuna's suggestion was just way too out there that she suddenly regained her energy to retort against them, her eyes swirling in confusion as she mumbled statement after statement, mind unable to process such information.

"U-Umm... Missus Marianne, let's calm down first, alright? We'll explain things to you slowly so let's calm down a little bit." [Grey]

It was only when Grey asked her to calm down that she snapped back to reality. And as he promised, Grey and Yuna started explaining why they wanted to treat Marianne for free, her listening ever so attentively.

The reason wasn't really complicated. They just wanted to help them out. Although they only knew Bella by coincidence, now that they knew their situation, they couldn't just stay still and do nothing. Though they could just ignore them, it would only gnaw away on their conscience and haunt them forever.

As for giving free treatment, they really have no reason to receive money. Other than the fact that they only needed to use mana which could infinitely recover, they aren't really in dire need of cash as of the moment. If anything, they actually have too much, they don't know what to do with it.

It may only be a coincidence that they met Bella on the way home from the market, but it could also be called fate. Well, it's not like they haven't been involved in such things in the past. Helping out one more time won't make a difference.

"I see... So it's because you met Bella in the market..." [Marianne]

But rather than joy, the only thing to be seen in Marianne's face was sadness as she thought of her daughter. It was subtle but it was clear that she was biting her lips and clenching her fists, clearly frustrated about something.

"Bella, that girl... I never wanted her to sell flowers in the market... I'm happy that she's doing it for my sake, but I can't help but worry for her. There's just too many dangers lurking around outside...

But as you can see, she always managed to slip out the house and sell flowers. Though me and Ross, my husband, have scolded her every time, she still goes out the next day to sell flowers again. She's always been like that. A strong-minded and determined, cheerful girl..." [Marianne]

Before she even noticed, tears had already started trickling down her face, dripping towards the bed sheets. It was not only sadness that she felt. She was also feeling frustrated with herself for letting her daughter experience such hardships.

Rather than playing outside with friends and enjoying her days happily, she is instead selling flowers outside, trying to earn money for her mother's treatment. As a mother, she felt like she was a failure for burdening her instead of supporting. Such truth only brings pain to her heart.

Her smile which was so bright and blinding in front of her daughter now all seemed but a fleeting lie. There was only emptiness, guilt, and disappointment in her eyes as the tears continued to trickle down.

"Oh, dear me... Sorry for letting you see such an ugly sightー" [Marianne]

"No, it's okay. We understand your circumstances. You've done more than enough in staying strong until now. You might think of yourself as a bad mother, but... When we walked on the way here, Bella's face was only full of smiles as she talked about you... She was very happy talking about her mother. She was proud of you." [Yuna]

There was no lies in Yuna's words. Though Marianne had already thrown a lot of self-deprecating words at herself, Bella had never blamed her. If anything, she only talks about how kind and beautiful her mother was, a bright smile on her face.

Yuna's words, though coming from one who she just met, weighed very heavily to her. The tears she once tried to wipe away were now continuing to fall even harder, unable to stop her swelling and overflowing emotions. It took some time before her tears finally stopped.

"Fufu! Sorry for letting you see such an ugly sight." [Marianne]

They were the same words, but of totally different meaning. The bright smile now returned to her face, her heart calmer and lighter than ever. Though she still hasn't received any treatment, she felt much better and stronger.

"Well, Missus Marianne, are you ready to receive treatment right now?" [Yuna]

"Fufufu! Please, and thank you." [Marianne]

Like mother, like daughter. Marianne didn't even doubt the two for a second and quickly trusted them, not showing any semblance of distrust in her beautiful face. It was a little bit worrying.

Not wasting any more time, Yuna opened her palms and faced it towards Marianne. Soon, the surrounding mana started to glow, warm and gentle light illuminating the surroundingsー or so what should have happened.

"Marianne, I'm homeー!!!" [Ross]

But Yuna couldn't even chant. Just as she was about to, a man entered the bedroom, freezing as soon as he saw two strangers before him. There was no hesitation in his eyes, he quickly jumped in front, spread his arms, and shouted...

"Who are you?! What are you doing to my wife?!" [Ross]

... With a loud and wary voice, trying to intimidate Grey and Yuna. Well, it was only natural. After all, who wouldn't act in such a way when two strangers suddenly show up in your house and are about to do something to your wife. He was very defensive.

"Ross, it's okayー" [Marianne]

"Don't worry, Marianne! I'll protect you! Just stay still!" [Ross]

"No, Rossー" [Marianne]

"You two! I might not look it, but I'm quite the fighter myself! If you don't want to taste my wrath, you better leave right now!" [Ross]

It was the usual trope. No matter how much Marianne tried to voice out her words, Ross would always interrupt, not listening even a little bit. Such a scene made Grey wonder why people in Merusia are so bad at listening to others.

"Bring it on! I'll take you both onー Urk!" [Ross]

"Dad! Stop it!" [Bella]

And strangely enough, it wasn't Grey, Yuna, nor Marianne who managed to stop him. Rather, it was the little Bella who just finished brewing tea. As soon as she saw the situation, she quickly put down the tray and jumped towards her father, hitting the man's solar plexus with her head.

A pained groan resounded in the air as soon as Bella's head connected with her father's stomach. Grey and Yuna hadn't experienced such an attack yet, but they could tell from the groan alone that it was very painful, the man's eyes almost jumping out of their sockets.

After such a scene, everything was then carefully explained to Ross. From how Bella met Grey and Yuna all the way to the point where Yuna was about to cast a healing spell on Marianne. Only a couple things were forgotten to be mentioned.

"Sorry about that. I've been on edge these days that I've been sensitive to almost everything. Sorry, really." [Ross]

"No, it's alright. We understand." [Grey]

Of course, what came after the explanation was an apology from Ross which Grey and Yuna accepted easily. Though... Seeing a father kneel on the ground, lectured by his daughter... It was quite the surreal sight.

"Anyway... About healing my wife... Can you really do it?" [Ross]

The mood quickly changed with Ross' question, a fierce seriousness now burning in his eyes. Though he isn't as wary as before, it was still hard to believe that such a convenient blessing arrived when they are struggling.

"I don't mean to doubt you, but... In my experience, something free isn't a real thing. I just don't want to take any chances. I hope you understand" [Ross]

"That's true... Then how about we settle the payment later once Missus Marianne is cured of her sickness. That's fine with you, right?" [Grey]

"Haah... I guess that's fiー" [Ross]

Cough Cough Cough

Ross couldn't even finish his words when Marianne started coughing again. It wasn't like before which was on the softer side. It was an intense series of coughs one would feel pain just from listening to it.

"M-Marianne, are you ok! W-Wait, I'll get your medicine!" [Ross]

"N... No... I-I'm fine... It's just... A little painful..." [Marianne]

Or so she says, but it didn't look like little at all. Everyone except Bella all knew that the pain she felt just now was no joke. They just didn't want to worry the little girl. It was one of their responsibilities as adults.

"Then, we should take care of Missus Marianne right now. Grey, would you care in assisting me?" [Yuna]

"Of course. No need to tell me twice." [Grey]

Fearing Marianne might suffer any longer, Grey and Yuna didn't waste any more time. They quickly approached the sick Marianne and once again had their palms face her, the mana in the surroundings starting to change.

⟨⟨Perfect Cure!⟩⟩ [Yuna] ⟨⟨Perfect Heal!⟩⟩ [Grey]

Two distinct voices resounded in the air, warm and golden light soon illuminating the whole room and filling Marianne's body with gentle ease and comfort. All the pains and discomfort she once felt started to melt away, vanishing to nothingness.

It was as if everything was all but a dream. There was no more discomfort nor tightness in her chest and her breathing has become lighter. Not only the insides, even her complexion has become healthier, life and colors coming back to her eyes, slowly but surely.

When the light ended, albeit thinner than normal, Marianner felt as if she was relieved by the burdens she had been carrying for the past years. She tried moving her body but there wasn't any bit of pain nor discomfort.

"I... I'm alright... It doesn't hurt anymore... I'm... Hic... I'm finally... Hic..." [Marianne]

"Hic... Mom... Hic..." [Bella]

There were tears, there were smiles, and there was happiness. Three people cried and embraced one another as if there was no tomorrow. Though they were just watching, there was no awkwardness in the air. Only warmth as they watched the three with gentle gazes.

"Yuna, are you crying?" [Grey]

"Shut up... I'm not crying..." [Yuna]

Their words seemed like they were teasing one another, but if one were to look a little closer, it was easy to see that they were, in fact, holding each other's hands, fingers interlocking ever so slightly.

Time passed and the room only became warmer. It took a little while before everyone calmed down, and after all that crying, all there was left were a pair of red faces, they were Ross and Marinannem of course, embarrassed about crying before the guests.

"Sorry about that, we just got a little bit emotional... Anyway, about the payment. Don't worry, even if I work my entire life, I'll make sure to repay it." [Ross]

"M-Me too! I will also be doing my best. I may have just been cured, but I will still do my best. You can rest assured!" [Marianne]

"Fufufu! That's great then! It's perfect!" [Yuna]

There was no time to ponder. As they were crying and hugging, Grey and Yuna then decided on the payment they wanted to receive. And seeing that the two were willing to spend their whole life on it, it was perfect.

"For your payment... You just need to make sure that Bella keeps smiling brightly. That's more than enough for us." [Grey]

To Grey's words, both Ross and Marianne were dumbfounded, unable to believe what they just heard. Both of their hearts were moved, unable to say anything as smiles bloomed on their facesー or so how Grey and Yuna expected it to happen.

"No! We can't do that! We're her parents so that's already a given! We can't have our benefactors be repaid with nothing." [Ross]

"Ross is right! It's unthinkable that we don't do something in exchange! Even if we have to work years, we'll make sure to repay you!" [Marianne]

Unfortunately for the two, things didn't go exactly as planned. Though it was true that their hearts were moved, the married couple was quite stubborn in their stance. They were not ones who would simply forget a debt, especially one so life-changing.

"N-No, like we said, that's really all we want." [Grey]

"No! As a man, a husband, and a father, how could I just accept such goodwill without any payment?! That goes against my values!" [Ross]

Grey and Yuna tried to convince the two but it was futile, they were just too stubborn to back down. No matter what they say, they were fixed on repaying them and no words could shake their resolve.

And just as they were being wrung out for payment, in the corner of Yuna's eyes, she saw a beautifully carved wooden statuette on display at one of the bedroom's shelves. It was one hard to miss with how beautiful it was.

"Umm... Excuse me, that... Where did you buy it?" [Yuna]

"By that... You mean the wooden sculpture?" [Ross]

"Un! It's beautiful. I also want to buy one for display." [Yuna]

"Ah... I made that. Would you like one?" [Ross]

It was totally unexpected. Grey and Yuna had heard from Bella that his father works with many odd jobs he could find, but he never knew he also worked as a craftsman. Not to mention the quality of the statuette, it was not something even experienced artisans can make.

"Then those charms and sculptures in the living room..." [Yuna]

"I also made those... I don't want to brag, but I was often called the best woodworker back in our hometown. As for Marianne, she was called the best tailor." [Ross]

"Geez... Ross, that's all in the past. I'm just a simple housewife now." [Marianne]

There were no lies in Ross' words. In fact, back in their home village, they even had a shop which was often visited by travelers to buy souvenirs from. It was also quite the famous one too, earning a good amount.

It was only when Marianne got sick that they had to close it and move to the city to find treatment. If it weren't for such an incident, they would have continued selling various merchandise in their home village. It was as if it was destiny that they met with Grey and Yuna.

"Then... I have a proposition...." [Grey]

It was also thanks to that that Grey and Yuna finally got something which can satisfy both sides. Though it might hardly count as payment, with how it would be proposed, it is already more than enough.

The proposition was very simple. Grey and Yuna would provide Ross and Marianne with materials, tools, and clients whilst the latter would make the merchandise. Of course, they would also be paid for their services. In addition, Grey and Yuna would also get top priority if they were to order something.

Not only would it be an advantage for Grey and Yuna, it would also provide a job for the two who are going to start life anew and also settle the matter about the payment. It was killing not just two, but three birds with one stone.

"That does sound nice, but... Is that really alright? I'm thankful but this would barely count as payment..." [Ross]

"No, it's more than enough. We have a lot of spare materials on our side and it would only be a waste if they go unused. This will benefit us both." [Grey]

"Un! And the items are also all beautiful! I can't wait to put some in our house! I'm sure it will look good!" [Yuna]

Everything was now settled. With Grey and Yuna putting it that way, Neither Ross nor Marianne could retort with anything. All they could do was just thank them from the bottom of their hearts, smiles appearing on their faces.

"Mom, Dad, did something good happen?" [Bella]

"Yes. Something very, very good just happened." [Marianne]

"I see! That's great!" [Bella]

It was unclear whether Bella fully understood what had just transpired, but even then, even when she was still puzzled, she couldn't help but smile after seeing her mother and father do the same. She was such a warm and lovely child.

"Ah! Big Sis, Big Bro, what about me?" [Bella]

"Hm? Is something the matter?" [Yuna]

"Yes! I also want to pay!" [Bella]

Well, now that the parents were done, it was the child's turn. Grey and Yuna had just finished with a tiring discussion and just as they thought they were finally done, a new one suddenly arose. Thankfully, it was much easier to deal with the little Bella.

"Then... For Bella, how about you deliver flowers to our house every week? They're very beautiful, you see." [Yuna]

"Okay! How many should I deliver?" [Bella]

It was as easy as that. There was no need to negotiate or anything of the sort. Bella quickly accepted their terms without even asking what the other conditions were. She really was a bright and cheerful child.

"Hmm... What do you think, Grey?" [Yuna]

"If it's flowers... Then I think 20 would be enough. Of course, we'd also pay you every time you do." [Grey]

"Really?!" [Bella]

"Of course. How does one bronze coin sound?" [Grey]

"Yaay~! Then I'll do my best!" [Bella]

"Fufufu! We're looking forward to it then." [Yuna]

Happiness and excitement was all over the place as the little girl jumped up and down, a bright smile painted on her face. She was like a lovely sunflower, shining brighter than anyone. A child one couldn't help but look at warmly.

Time quickly passed and very soon, the day for settling the matter between their partnership has arrived. It was also the same day the two learnt of Grey and Yuna's true identities, their faces shocked as one can be. But hey, that's a story for another day.

CHAPTER 204 END

3