Chapter 3. The system
3.6k 4 126
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite the fact that there was little time, I tried to prepare a nice room for Ruby.

In total, there were about five bedrooms in the estate, but most of them were unsuitable for a child to live in. Grace used these rooms for entertainment with her lovers, and from their current appearance, it can be judged that the marriage games were far from being a joke.

The whole house needed major cleaning and repairs, which will take a decent amount of time.

So before that happens, I decided to put Ruby in my own quarters, where I lived until recently. Somehow I'll get by myself in a room with a dubious past.

Overall, the bedroom was spacious and cozy enough. A large four-poster bed, a dressing table and several wardrobes with clothes, as well as a balcony overlooking the garden.

— Ruby, do you like it? — I turned to the girl, who froze on the threshold with her eyes wide open.

—I… can I really live here?» «What is it?» she asked incredulously.

— Of course! — I exclaimed, — Maybe this room is not the limit of dreams, but it will do until you grow up. If you want, we can do additional repairs here.

Rubiella was still batting her eyelashes, after which she nodded uncertainly:

— No, you don't need to, Aunt… I like everything.

The girl walked into the room, looking into every corner, and for a while an expression of delight remained on her face. After which, she drooped again, and sat down on the bed with a sad look.

I didn't understand what was going on.

— Ruby, what's wrong? — I came closer and squatted down in front of her, — Is something bothering you?

Rubiella shook her head. Her amethyst eyes seemed clouded.

«I know that Mom made you accept me,» she confessed, «that's why… You don't have to be nice to me. I promise I'll be quiet, just don't throw me out on the street!

I was taken aback by her words.

Does she really think I'm just pretending right now…?

Although, to some extent, it could be called that. After all, I'm not stupid enough to dig my own grave, am I?

I'd rather be a good aunt for all these eight years than then die by her hand according to the plot of the game. Besides, even without this knowledge, I still wouldn't treat her badly.

Even though our relationship is forced, but how can I hate this cute child?

Rubiella was still too young to deserve something like this.

— I don't hate you at all, — smiling, I took her small hands in mine, — And your stay here is not a burden to me at all.

Ruby looked up at me in surprise.

— Really?

— of course. You're my sweet niece.

The girl's cheeks turned pink when I called her that. Mentally, I've already given Ruby the nickname «hamster». All because of the children's cheeks, which made her face look like the muzzle of this animal.

«W—so you won't send me away…?»

— What nonsense, — I objected, — Now we are a family, and we will stick together. I will do everything in my power to take care of you.

At the word «family», Ruby was even more amazed. No one had ever said such words to her before. And her mother's sister, who considered the birth of her daughter her biggest mistake, welcomed her so warmly. It seemed to the girl that all this was just too good a dream that would disappear when she returned to the nightmarish reality.

That's why she didn't want to wake up.

— Will you really, really always be with me? Ruby looked at me with great hope in her eyes.

— Really, really, — I let out a laugh, running my hand through her hair.

— Then I believe you.

I hugged my new niece to my chest, thinking that raising a child is not so difficult. All you need to do is pay attention and take timely care. If everything goes right, Rubiella will no longer need to become the main villain.

At this moment, our little family idyll was interrupted by Nura.

The maid leaned out from behind the door and cleared her throat.

— What happened? I turned to her with a frown, mentally remembering that I would need to instruct her on behavior in this estate again.

Despite the fact that the girl had been working for me for a month, she never learned to knock and always broke in without permission. Not to mention the other little nuances. All this was an echo of her past, because until recently, Nura practically lived on the street.

— Madam, well, I am… I wanted to inform you that Count Crick has sent a man to you again. He's been waiting outside the door for five minutes.

«Count Crick?» Him again?

— yes… What should I tell him?

I sighed.

— Nothing. I'll meet him myself.

The red-haired girl scratched her head, awkwardly bowed and left.

Meanwhile, my mood turned out to be somewhat clouded by the news that appeared. And what the hell brought it today…?

Earl Creek was an old acquaintance of the real Grace, who at first tried to get close to her, because of the influential name of her family. That's just, after the Weinsteins began to suffer a financial collapse, the count tried to retreat unnoticed. But I didn't manage to do it in time.

Finding herself in a crisis situation, Grace borrowed a large sum of money from him, with a promise to return it in the near future. The count believed her, because he hoped that the Weinstein heiress would not be able to deceive him. And, of course, he was wrong. Grace never returned anything to him.

A month ago, he continuously sent his people to me, demanding to repay the debt. After selling off some jewelry, I managed to get some of the amount back, but it was still not enough. As a result, Earl Creek still continued to harass me, sending servants to my estate every week.

With all my desire, I couldn't pay off the debt right now, and I told him about it. The money I had left was needed to repair the estate and purchase the most basic things. Especially after I got Ruby. I have to feed her something.

Despite the fact that I explained my situation to him very clearly, Count Crick apparently did not understand it.

Well, then. I wasn't going to give up on this nasty moneybags myself.

Noticing the change in my expression, Ruby asked worriedly:

— Auntie, is something wrong with you?

When I came to my senses, I looked at my sweet niece and smiled.

—Nothing, Ruby. It's okay,» I patted her on the head, «it's just that some guests have appeared, and I need to meet them.

— Mind… I see.

I left the girl to deal with her new room, and I went down to the lower floor. Count Crick's man was actually waiting for me on the doorstep.

—You've been thinking for a long time,» the man muttered discontentedly when I opened the door for him, «You think you're such an important person, since you can keep my master waiting…

«To the point,» I interrupted him, «I don't have time to deal with you. Just tell me what the count wants this time.

The man grimaced.

— The gentleman ordered you to give him the money this week. Otherwise, he will go to court.

— The court? — I grinned, — And how will he do it? We didn't even sign an IOU.

«Don't be so cocky, Lady Weinstein,» he said contemptuously, «my master has people all over the empire. And in the authorities, too. It will not be difficult for him to prove your crime.

I folded my arms on my chest and was even touched by how this man tried in vain to intimidate me.

However, I should have done it a long time ago. Especially when Ruby lives with me now. I didn't want her to get involved in all these things.

Today is the most appropriate day to finally end this lingering debt.

And at that moment, a window popped up above my head, which only I could see.

System: Quest «Punishment of the Scream Count»

The reward is forty crystals of game currency. Would you like to participate?

And at the bottom there is a fast-running strip with a time limit.

«Yes,» I said out loud.

System: Accepted! The quest has begun!

The window disappeared, and the man in front of me came to life again, continuing to stare at me with displeasure. At the moments of the system's manifestation in the game, time in this world stopped until I made a choice. Or, when the strip with the limiter expired.

A «mission» window appeared in the corner of my field of vision. It will continue to be there until I complete the quest with Count Creek. It's like a computer game, where a column with tasks also hangs on the side of the screen.

Despite the fact that I haven't said anything yet, the count's servant himself went to wait for me at the carriage. This happened every time the system automatically hammered the necessary information into the head of the background characters. Those whose importance in the game was higher had more of their own will.

I took my hat from the shelf and put on my raincoat, getting ready to leave. But before that, she called Nura.

—Take care of Ruby while I'm gone,» I ordered, «feed her, and provide her with everything she needs.» Understand?

— And what should I feed her? The maid asked, puzzled.

— You'll think of something! — I snapped, — What am I paying you for if you can't do anything?

Nura muttered resentfully.

«I understand, mistress…

At that moment, Ruby herself came down into the hallway. The girl looked at me excitedly, seeing that I was going somewhere.

— Aunt, are you leaving?

Looking into her sad eyes, I could not remain indifferent.

«I won't be long,» I promised, putting my hand on her shoulder.

«For a while?» Exactly?

— Yes, — I grinned, — My aunt has some things to do.

126